Chapter 9: Wine of Celebration
305 8 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'm ready."

"Wait, this could be a horrible idea."

"Relax, kid. You worry too much. Keep that up and you'll get wrinkles."

I glace at both Yermen and the Headmaster as they said their piece. Only then did I realize how absurd the situation that I'm in.

My bestest friend in this world and the strongest man in this country (maybe) are bickering at each other like it's a normal thing. And the thing that they are bickering about is a Stigma I suddenly gained after waking up from a dream. Quite the unique experience, if I say so myself. 

Ignoring their conversation, I turn my focus back toward the empty glass bottle that is sealed tightly with a cork.

Activating a Stigma is a simple thing. The moment I gained it, I instinctually know how to use it. Really, it's so simple and intuitive that it makes me understand how it can get out of control. It's like, before now, I was incomplete, and only the Stigma's existence can make me whole. I can sense its potential power, waiting to be unleashed at a flick of my finger.

Grasping the bottle tightly, I close my eyes and will the power into being. Suddenly, as if a new sense was open to me, I feel things that have never been there before. Strands of 'light' seem to cover every inch of my body, and I can feel different 'lights' coming off of the others as well. Interesting. Is this Soul power? I say 'lights', since my eyes are closed, these can't actually be light. Maybe it's something that my mind came up with to interpret what I am feeling with this new sense.

Each person's 'light' is unique from the other. Mine has the 'color' gray, with a strange luster that reminds me of metal. When I 'look' closer, there's also a sense of incompleteness, like it's not all there. It's like something is missing? How strange. Focusing harder, I try to feel more, to find what was lost. Only, what I can sense seems to be something else. Emotions.

It's in the way how the 'light' fluctuates, how its color shifts slightly lighter or darker, and the 'texture' of it? I don't know how to describe it. I just instinctively translate the movements as emotions. But I don't seem to actually feel different in any way. Or rather, that I'm already feeling such emotions, so this just gives me a clearer view of it somehow?

There is a general sense of curiosity, as well as anticipation and hope. I guess this sums up quite well what I'm feeling. I do feel curious and want to learn more about how this all works.

Reaching my mind away from myself, I focus on the others instead.

Yermen's Soul Aura (I decided to call it that instead of 'light') is colored red, with streaks of gold mixed in. It seems to flare up, acting like a flame more than a solid like what my aura felt like. There's this feeling of unease from his aura like it's threatening to burst out and consume its surrounding.

Hmm. I think that's what anxiety and anger feel like? I seem to have a harder time understanding others' emotions. Still, the fact that I can is already amazing.

And the Headmaster's aura is like a different beast. While mine and Yermen's are rather small and stick mostly to us, his aura dyes almost the entire room in a soft turquoise color. The feeling I get is more like air, like a constant refreshing breeze that is not real, suffused with curiosity and calmness.

I decided to dub this new sense, Soul Sight.

I think that sounds cool enough.

Hey, a man got to have his desire to look cool satisfied. That's just how it is, deal with it

Opening my eyes, I am greeted with 2 pairs of eyes looking at me in anticipation.

"Well, are you going to do it, or did you just decide to take a little nap instead?" The Headmaster joked good-naturedly.

Ignoring his little jab, I once again focus on the empty bottle.

With a final push, I will the Stigma to activate fully. The aura that was once stuck to me like a second skin begins to rush out, twirling through the air by some unknown rhythm. Along the way, it seems to pull small bits and pieces from both Yermen's and the Headmaster's aura. Like long-lost lovers having met again after a long time, the three auras dance around each other joyously, melding and mixing before pouring themselves like a liquid into the bottle.

The moment the liquid-like aura touches the bottom of the bottle, it begins to fill up with actual liquid.

The Headmaster looks at the bottle for a moment, before quickly reaching into a cabinet on the wall, pulling out three glass cups. He then signals me to give him the bottle, to which I happily comply. After gaining the bottle, he popped open the cork before taking a sniff.

"Hmm, citrusy, fruity,..."

He pours it into one glass, then swirls the glass lightly.

"Light amber color, slightly viscous and bubbly."

He tastes it.

"A light sweetness that complements its sourness. The fruity flavor is strong, but not overpowering. Low alcohol level. Refreshing and light, like a cider. Has a spicy aftertaste? And what is this mysterious aroma lingering in my nose? Oh, when you take another sip, it seems to change slightly. How curious."

I feel like I'm being tested somehow. Like I'm a contestant in some cooking show I've seen in my past life, and the Headmaster is the overly strict judge that is more likely to crush my hopes and dreams of ever working in a professional environment with his words alone than give any actual constructive criticism. Why did I think of such a thing? Well, it just feels that way, okay. Don't judge me!

And I'm speaking to myself now. Maybe I've finally snapped. Maybe I died back then and this is all just some twisted purgatory that the Gods put me in for their amusement. Oh, look, the idiot is making a fool of himself in his own head again, how precious. Is it something like that?

While drowning in my own delusions and existential crisis, I am suddenly snapped out of it by the Headmaster offering me another cup filled with the same wine. Glancing toward Yermen and seeing him holding an identical cup with a funny look on his face, I belatedly realize that I might have spaced out for longer than I thought.

"It's not poison or anything, that I can be sure. Just some really mysterious cider." The Headmaster reassured, his face and tone full of amusement.

Sheepishly, I took the offered glass.

"Well, cheers," I said towards Yermen, raising my glass.

Not waiting for him to raise his back, I quickly put the glass to my mouth. The moment the liquid touched my mouth, I tasted heaven.

This sweetness, this sourness, the light bubbly sensation that tingles my tongue. The amazing mix of fruity aroma reminds me of the orchards back in my hometown during the winter months, when all the beautiful citruses heavily weigh down the branches, ready to be harvested and enjoyed. It's refreshing. It's wonderful. It's the best drink I ever tasted.

Before I knew it, I have already emptied my glass.

I feel amazing. My mind is clear, the dull headache that has been with me ever since I got attacked by Archive is gone. I feel energized instead of inebriated. My limbs feel tingly and I have this urge to learn about something new. The wine somehow makes me feel like learning something. What a strange effect.

But the most apparent and useful effect must be the sudden clear-headedness. I think this magical cider heals mental damage and fatigue. And for mages, that is the same as refilling their mana.

"Woah...I feel great."

"Yeah, this is wild." Yermen agreed absentmindedly.

I quickly asked. "Did you feel it too? How it refreshes your mind."

"Yeah...It's like one of those expensive potions that I got to use once. But this tastes so much better."

The Headmaster strokes his chin. "Really? I didn't feel much. Mages are more attuned to their minds, after all, so maybe it only works for mages? Or since my rank is too high that its effects are minuscule."

"Maybe..."

Hmm. So many mysteries to uncover. How fun! How exciting! Is this what it feels like to be researching something I'm interested in? The wine must be influencing me still.

"So, can you tell us what it feels like to use your Stigma? With that, we can put our heads together and see if there's anything you've missed."

Nodding my head to the Headmaster's words, I recount all that which I experienced as truthfully as I can. About how I can see Soul Auras, how they look, how I can feel the emotions of others, and how the skill actually works in creating the wine.

Closing his eyes in thought, the Headmaster says his conclusion.

"From what I've heard, the most powerful part of this Blessing seems to be what you called Soul Sight. With enough practice and experience, you can use it to track anyone that is nearby without needing to look for them. Knowing another's emotion, even just a little, can prove vital in any conversation, be it during a diplomatic mission, an interrogation, or just simply haggling for a better price. Such a skill is widely versatile, it's up to you to find out how to best utilize it."

Listening to his words, I can't help but think that he's right. Even if this ability might not be flashy, its uses are so numerous that it makes up for the lack of impact. I can slowly see how this Blessing is rated A now. I have only tested half of it and am already impressed.

I can't wait to see what other secrets that are within this Blessing.

And the place to start is without a doubt the other half of it. It's time to see what Songs of Joy can really do.

6