Chapter 13: Class Introduction
205 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Your bed is so much better than mine. So soft... so warm..."

"Hey, don't you dare sleep on my bed!"

I am currently rolling around in Yermen's bed.

Really, it's so unfair. His bed is at least twice as big, and four times as comfortable. The mattress is soft and perfectly bouncy. The sheets and blankets are thick and warm. The pillows, stuffed with feathers, are the most comfortable things ever.

Looking around his room, I feel like everything is twice as big as my room.

The wardrobe, the bathroom, the study desk, etc. All bigger than mine.

There's even his own private shower and bath. An enchanted cold box to keep snacks and drinks in. A shelf that is stacked with books, each and every one of them sounds more boring than the last. A set of enchanting tools, equipped with carving knives, metal picks, small hammers, all in varying sizes, expensive inks, and brushes, lay scattered across his table.

"This is so unfair. Your room is so much better than mine."

"If you want a better room, then you should work harder and get better grades. You shouldn't be staying in your friend's room and rolling around on their bed."

I pout. "But I feel lonely. Can't I stay only until curfew? Please?"

Yermen looks conflicted while chewing on his lower lip. After a while, he sighs and nods.

"Fine. But then you are heading straight back."

Jumping up and spreading my arms to go for a hug, I smile.

"Yay! Thanks for letting me stay. Now give me a hug."

I rush towards him, but before I can lay my hands on him, he grabs my face and holds me at bay.

"No way, you haven't showered and still smell like sweat. Don't you dare touch me!"

Struggling with no way to escape, I said helplessly.

"But... but... best friend..."

"Don't try to emotionally manipulate me, it won't work."

Hearing his iron words, I immediately calm down.

"Hehe... I'm sorry. I won't do it again. Please let me go."

Yermen releases my face and moves towards his desk, taking a few books on the way. He then sits down and started to work on something.

Curious, I move closer to get a better look.

It seems that he is enchanting some sort of accessory by carving minuscule lines using one of the many knives on the table. It looks like a pendant of some sort, made of bronze-colored metal in a shape of a bird in flight, and is just big enough to fit in his palm. Though right now there is no chain threaded through the hoop, I feel that will look quite fashionable when worn around your neck.

"What does it do?"

"It's a fire ward, to protect you from high heat. Now shut up and let me work."

Closing my mouth with a click, I decided to let him work on his project in peace.

Now with nothing to do, I can't help but think about tomorrow.

Normally, the weekends are free for students, so they can do whatever they want. Self-study, training, playing, reading books, there's no one to stop you. You can even take a trip out into the Capital city and explore the many shops and restaurants available. As long as you return before the curfew, you won't get any punishment.

But tomorrow will be the first time I'll enter the Blessed class.

Apparently, Headmaster Varier can register me directly in the Blessed class right away, so I'll have to attend this very week. As for the other classes, there were more procedures to go through, so I'll only start them next week.

Still, the Blessed class, huh.

That's the first setting in the game, where the protagonist will meet all of their future comrades, befriending them and taking them on grand adventures to save the world in the future. The students in that class are true Heroes that will one day be responsible for the fate of all living beings. Such a heavy burden to be placed on the shoulders of those kids. Kids that are not much different than me.

Thinking about it, it's really unfair, huh?

The winds of destiny pushing these teenagers through countless hardships are cold and heartless. They will know nothing but pain and suffering in the future.

"Are you nervous? About tomorrow?

"Hmm?" I turned at the sudden question. 

Yermen has stopped doing what he was doing and is now looking at me.

I smile wryly. "Well, it would be a lie if I said I wasn't. But still, it's what I need - no - have to do."

Yermen looks a little pensive, before declaring.

"If you get bullied, don't hesitate to tell me. I'll make them pay."

I laugh at his serious face.

"Haha, what are you going to do? Bore them to death with your lectures?"

"I'm serious. Don't try and hide if you get hurt. I'll be there for you."

I smile.

"Thanks. I know you will."

===

Checking the note another time to make sure that this is the right place, I take a small breath to prepare myself.

Within the note is the room number, as well as a designated time that I had to be present. Weirdly enough, it's about 10 minutes later than normal class time. But, since it came from the Headmaster, I decided to follow it anyways.

As I was getting ready to open the door, it automatically opened before me, and a familiar figure stepped out to greet me.

"Ah, young Steelight, you're finally here. Come in, let me introduce you to the rest of the class."

Standing in front of me in all of his 7ft tall glory is the Headmaster himself.

"Headmaster? What are you doing here? Isn't this the Blessed class?"

"Of course it is! Don't you know, I'm the teacher of this class."

"Huh!!" I'm dumbfounded. That was not the case in the game at all.

In the game, the teacher of the Blessed class is always absent, so the class President is the one who leads everyone on their training and is responsible for keeping the peace as well. Since the teacher is always absent, no one knows who they are.

Unexpectedly, it's actually the Headmaster himself?

But why was he always absent in all of the classes? Was there some kind of situation I don't know about? This is stressing me out.

"Haha, Mr. Steelight, you're making such a funny expression. Are you that surprised that I was the teacher? I did say before we parted last time that I'll be seeing you again."

No, I thought that was just a way of saying goodbye, why were you suddenly saying it literally!!!

But still, this development is out of my expectation. What is going on here?

I sigh. Well, worrying about that now is not going to help, so let's just keep going.

"I'm sorry Headmaster- Professor? I'm ready now."

"You can just call me Mr. Dawn you know. We've talked to each other before, so don't be such a stranger."

With a friendly laugh, he ushers me into the classroom.

Any conversation that was happening before I enter stopped immediately. Six pairs of eyes now train towards my position, regarding me with different emotions. There were curiosity, confusion, surprise, and disgust?

Seeing such obvious emotions in those eyes, I decided to test out my ability. Willing the blessing to activate, my vision of Soul Sight begins to spread across the whole room. Gazing at each and every one of them, I confirm what I was feeling and what I was seeing within my Soul Sight are similar.

"Alright class, this is the new transfer student that I have just told you about before. He has just gained his Stigma recently and is still in the process of getting used to it. So let us welcome him with open arms, and help him the best we can, alright?"

Small murmurs of acknowledgment rang out across the sparse classroom.

"Now, how about you introduce yourself."

Taking in a breath to still my nerves, I speak as clearly as I can.

"Hello, my name is Alean Steelight, from the Steelight Baron house of Garhm. It's a pleasure to meet you all, and I hope we can assist each other in the future."

"Hah!" A derisive laugh rang out from one of the students. "So it's the frontier knights. No wonder. I can smell the aroma of stale dirt the moment you stepped into this room. Tell me, bumpkin, how would such an insignificant house be of any use for me. Why don't you just say what you really meant and beg me for favors? I wonder why the school would even admit such useless trash like you."

I'm dumbfounded.

Huh. How can such a comically horrible person exist in this world?

"Mr. Gentille, your attitude is unwelcomed. If you have a problem with the Academy's policies and decisions, you can bring them to me directly after class."

The Headmaster's tone is cold, his eyes no longer held any mirth.

"Tsk!"

The black-haired youth turn away immediately, dismissing me and the Headmaster entirely. I am so surprised that I'm at a loss for words.

"Sigh. Such conduct is unacceptable within the Academy, I expect you to write a formal apology and send it to me after class. As for now, apologize to Mr. Steelight. The Code of Conduct had specifically stated that using your rank outside of the Academy to harass other students are strictly forbidden. If you keep this up, I have no choice but to send you to detention."

"Tsk!" He clicks his tongue even louder.

After a moment, he finally utters out an apology so small that it's difficult to make out from the background noise. "Sorry."

I know that he is anything but. His black, misty aura is roiling and bubbling so hard that I don't even need to guess what he is feeling now.

"Sigh. I guess that is good enough. I expect two copies of the apology sent to me." Hearing this, his aura flared even harder."Are there any more questions? If not, then we shall return to what we were doing before. Mr. Steelight, you may choose to sit or stand wherever you like. If you need any tools or items to help you with practicing, report to me and I shall retrieve them for you."

I picked a seat relatively far away from others and move towards it, not forgetting to thank and ask for an empty bottle from the Headmaster.

Really, what had I just gotten myself into?

 

3