Chapter 27: Deals and Oaths
366 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"First thing first, is what you said in the letter true? You know how to cure him?"

Billin's gaze can be quite intense, his amber eyes burn like smoldering coal. When you combined it with his rough-looking appearance, it's almost as if he's trying to threaten me. His aura tells a different story, though, as it shines with unconcealed hope. After all, his loyalty to the council member is unshakable, even now that he is exiled.

I nod my head.

"Wait, I think we should ask how you know about the attack first."

I turn towards Emile, who just asked that question. I have a feeling that he'll ask that.

To win a bit of their trust, I wrote everything I remembered about the assassination attempt and what happened afterward to show them that I know their secrets.

It was a bit of a gamble.

If they're smart, they'll know that I could have just reported to the authority that Billin is hiding in our country, and he'll be hunted down since he's a fugitive criminal of an allied nation. Dwarves are very cagey about their politics, but the supposed crime that Billin committed is so big that the Council is pulling out all the stops.

The Council has promised large amounts of money for the capture of Billin the Traitor. If converted into credits, it would be about 10 million. How do I know this? There were wanted posters everywhere when I was walking around town, so it's not some heavily guarded secret. The only reason he's not captured right now is that the Underground boss is protecting him.

I could have used that money to buy a lot more enchanted items and maybe even a plot of land. But doing so would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Condemning an innocent man to death or worst feels like what a Villian would do.

Some might say I'm foolish for doing this, but I'm merely following my principles. Besides, if I report about it, I'll only get a fraction of that money, since I can't catch him by myself. The high nobles and the crown would no doubt get in on the whole thing because of the diplomatic and monetary gains.

The money would be shared with all those involved in the operation, and if I'm lucky, I might get about 5% of that, maybe even less. It's just not worth the chance to obtain the [Druegar Brestplate] instead.

"So, are you done daydreaming?"

Startled, I turn towards the voice to find Emile tapping his foot impatiently. Oh. I was in my head again, damn it. 

I keep having these episodes lately, where I keep getting lost in my thoughts.

"Uhhh... Sorry." I scratch my head in embarrassment. "Well, it doesn't matter how I knew about it, just know that I'm here to help."

Emile sighs in defeat. Perhaps he already knew that I would respond that way.

"Please, tell me how to heal him, I'm willing to give you anything, I swear on my name. Even a small clue is enough," Billin said with conviction.

Wait. Huh? It's not supposed to be this easy right?

"Hey, what are you saying, you dull-witted dwarf! Don't just go and promise something like that!" Emile is fuming.

"If I can save him, then it's enough." The dwarven man's eyes are even more earnest.

Hah!? What... In the game, he's not as devoted as this though... Has something changed?

"Uhm... are you sure? Don't you want to know who did it? Or to take revenge?"

Billin shook his head immediately. "No. I only wish for the Master to be well again first, only then will I find the traitor and detain them. His safety is my utmost concern."

Billin in the game was very vindictive, so his main goal was to find the culprit. But in real life, he's only interested in finding a cure? What is this strange development? And he's a lot calmer, too. He's like a different person.

This... is bad, right? This means that the game is not reliable, and the characters might be completely different in real life, right? Then my cheat of knowing the future... might not mean much, after all.

My heart is beating hard in my chest. I can feel the anxiety begin to creep up my mind once again. I've lost my biggest advantage. I'll fail to save everyone I love. No...

No! I need to calm down.

Closing my eyes, I begin to count in my mind. The buzzing and ringing around me fade with each number, bringing the world back in focus.

Everything is still fine. I'm fine... I can work with this. Just some change of plans, that's all. In fact, this can be advantageous. I can just ask for the armor now.

After calming down a little more, I open my eyes to see the two of them staring at me weirdly. I must have looked like a weirdo who keeps spacing out in the middle of a conversation...

"Ehem. Yes. I know how to cure him."

With this, Billin's eyes shine like polished ambers. I never noticed how rich his golden eyes are before, seeing how they're almost lost in his wild, braided hair and beard. He looks like what you expect dwarves would look, pretty much. The only recognizable feature on his face is the cross-shaped scar.

I raised my hand to reign in his eagerness.

"In exchange, I wish to trade for that breastplate you're wearing."

Hearing this, his entire face stiffens, then becomes guarded and suspicious in an instant. I didn't even need my Soul Sight to tell me he was caught off guard by my demands.

"Do you know what you're asking for?"

"Yes."

"Do you even know what it does?"

"An enchantment that only works for people with Earth affinity. A powerful barrier."

I stand straighter and look at him directly in his eyes. I can see the confusion and surprise

[Druegar Brestplate] in the game has some flavor text attached to it. I can't remember the details, but essentially, it's an ancient relic that is given only to an honorable dwarven Knight, or Guardian as they call it. And now, a human Mage is asking to have an important heirloom. Of course, he'll be hesitant.

He bites his lower lip, deep in thought. I can see the constant turmoil of his emotions. His aura, the color of rusted iron, flicker and waver like his conflicting thoughts. 

Eventually, a soft sigh escapes his mouth.

"Alright-"

"You can't be serious!?" Emile said incredulously.

"YES! I AM!" Billin's deep voice reverberates across the square. "Sorry... I didn't mean to yell. But I have to do this."

He immediately begins to unbuckle the metal armor with practiced ease. In no time at all, he's stripped to his gambeson, and in his hand now held the gleaming breastplate. He then roughly thrusts the thing towards me, his expression as if he'll change his mind if I delayed any longer.

I quickly reach out to grab it. But just as my hand grazes the cold metal surface, a rough and calloused one grabs back at my wrist, holding it in place. 

I look up to see Billin's intense eyes bore into me once again.

"Swear to me."

"Uh... What?" I ask confused.

"SWEAR TO THE GODS ABOVE AND BELOW, THAT YOU WILL ONLY USE THIS ARMOR TO PROTECT. TO ONLY USE ITS POWER TO SHIELD THE WEAK AND INNOCENT. TO SAFEGUARD WHAT IS SACRED AND TRUE. SWEAR IT! NOW!" He screams almost fanatically, his spittle splashing onto me.

But honestly, I couldn't even respond, completely speechless at his display of fervor. His conviction and passion are palpable, his aura burns like rusted flames licking at my hand. I look at his expression and am suddenly reminded of my father. 

When he speaks about duty and honor, his face would also have this look. The look of a Knight, and a Noble. The obligation to protect his citizens, his people, as their leader, against the ever-changing wilds.

And most importantly, to protect his family.

I close my eyes. Isn't this what I wanted? The power to save the lives of those around me. Those that I cared about. But is that enough? Wasn't my dream when I was younger to fight alongside my father to protect the people of our territory. Where has it all gone? Have I always been so selfish, only thinking about myself?

I resigned, thinking that I'm some sort of side character, destined to never see the light of day, but is that true anymore?

The memories. The Blessing. 

I was letting my own self-hatred blind me. I have all this knowledge, and power. Maybe I can help more than just my family and friends survive in the end. Maybe the people of this kingdom, or this continent, or this world, won't have to suffer so much if I can change the outcome of events.

Hell, now that I think about it, the moment I set foot in that Blessed Classroom, I'm already a massive variable. A previously non-existing character is now destined to meet with the protagonist. The future that I know, may already be gone by now. Everything is now up in the air.

That revelation before would have crippled me with pressure, but now... I feel relief instead.

That means it could be better. No, it will be better. I shall make it so.

I open my eyes to find his gaze remains steadfast upon me.

I take a deep, steadying breath before kneeling down and clapping my hands in prayer.

"I, Alean Steelight, son of Baron Steelight, first of his name, swear an oath to the Heavens and Gods, that I shall forever strive to do the best I could to protect the weak and innocent.

To safeguard the lives and future of all those around me, regardless of whether I know them or not, regardless of race or gender.

I shall never use my powers against people who are kind and good, only upon those that seek to harm others maliciously.

If the Gods can hear my oath and accept my conviction, then may they guide my path forever true."

Sorry for not posting for a week, but it has been quite hectic lately. A lot of plans fell through, so I was a little stressed. I have some time (finally), so I got this out. Thankfully, it's a little more stable now, so hopefully, I will be able to post at least twice a week now. No promises though.

I still find this novel to be enjoyable, so don't worry too much about it stressing me out. But if I find it to be too much work, I might have to put this on hiatus. Let's see how things go.

Spoiler

Name

 Alean Steelight

STR

F

Class

Mage (F)

DEX

F+

Affinity

Earth (D)

END

F+

Body

Heathy

FOC

F

Mind

Heathy

WIL

E

Soul

Heathy

PRE

E+

[collapse]
Spoiler

Skill 

Rank

Steelight's Swordsmanship

E-

Geomancy

F+

Blessings of Song and Wine

A

[collapse]

2