Chapter 12
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dear God,

When I was a child, everything I wanted was to be like my mother and sister, because they are healers. They helped people, they brought life to people that don't have any hope. And the thing that always made me yearn for this gift — as a child — was the ability to bring happiness.

I was always amazed by the happiness. It was so pure the reaction of the people when finally their loved one was safe and healthy again.

For a long time, that is what I wanted — to bring happiness to everyone, and feel the energy of joy, and being around people who are happy with my presence. But as I grew up, I realized that my sister’s gift didn't just bring happiness and joy. 

As I grew up, I realized that Sun’s power was both a present and a curse. As I grew up, I realized that as soon my sister was born, she became a target. And a while ago I realized that unfortunately for everyone else my sister was not a person, for everyone else she was just an object — she was just a weapon to use and imprison.

 And unfortunately, I realized late that individuals at the top of the world have few qualms about getting what they want.

 

***

 

Sun is a healer. A kind rare, unique and powerful. These healers are famous for being able to do almost everything. They are extraordinary.

They can heal people, take them from the dead and make someone that must die from some illness — or old age — live for years. They can do a lot of things with bodies — their own bodies, and other people's bodies. 

But what made them so desirable was the ability to make people live forever. 

And through the centuries the possibility of living forever was so tempting to blurt out. Because eternity, as discovered over the years, it's not an old story told by elders. Eternity is real and attainable. 

And what prevents a powerful person from getting eternity? 

What prevents a king — or a ruler, or a prince — from getting eternity?

Nothing. Nothing in all because the world is molded according to the wishes of powerful people. And everyone else must deal with the consequences of those desires.

And the source for eternity was a single person — or a species. Therefore, Sun’s kind is unique. They are wanted.

But the problem with this kind of healer is that there are few in the world. The pureblood healers. 

There are so few in the world

Thus, this community has some politics to continue alive — the pureblood healers have children with pureblood. Their rules are blood purity to preserve the species.

As a consequence of the blood policy, there are not a lot of hybrids walking around — a hybrid is probably rarer than a pureblood. The healer with a direct line to a pureblood is as wanted as a pureblood himself. Principally in a world that death is a constant thing. 

 

***

 

Sun and my mom were both healers, but they are from different species. 

My mother didn't have the ability to give eternal life, she could heal people, and sometimes prevent someone from dying, but she had limitations. Limitations that Sun’s kind don't have.

My mother kind was abundant. They are scattered in the world and from what I hear, they don't have any politics of blood purity. And thanks to this freedom, my grandfather a long time ago met a beautiful healer — who became my grandmother — that was kind enough to save my grandfather’s best friend. 

My grandmother told my mom that they have ancestors in common with the purebloods, and that a long — long — time ago my mother’s kind started to use the term “pureblood” as a way of teasing.

 Honestly, it is a little funny to think that centuries ago a random pureblood had a child, and that over the years that child created an entire species. But right now, the so-called pure are almost extinct.

Maybe it's right when people say that God has favorites.

Do you have favorites?

Or is it just a consequence of life? 

A poetical irony?

An ultimate imitation of what my grandma said — you die as you live — ?

 

***

 

Dear God, thank you for listening to me and staying with me. Please, protect Sun, wherever she is. Dear God, don't let anything bad happen to my sister. Please protect my brother, and preserve him from all harm. Please give all of us a good night of sleep. That’s what I ask you and appreciate, God.

0