| Chapter 0002 |〖 Elimination Week – Start 〗
64 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 0002: Elimination Week - Start

You know it’s going to be a terrible day when the first thing you hear early morning is,

“Argh! Shut up!” The blonde head screamed.

The reason for his irritation was simple.

[Notice: Please gather around Assembly Hall 4 within the next 15 minutes(In your gym clothes)!]

The notice repeated itself in a high tone. I could not originate the sound’s origin point. It seemed to echo through the walls.

“It’s 3 in the morning for fucks sake!” He buried his head in between the two pillows.

Incorrect. It was precisely 4:45 am.

Setting aside my roommate’s complaints, I washed my face and donned on my gym clothes—a simple white short-sleeve T-shirt and black sweatpants. Last night, I didn’t even get a wink of sleep. Since there were four beds, I assumed two more people would join. But no one came. I can only reckon the other 2 of my roommates must be one of those recommendation students who needn’t attend the Academy during the elimination week. Lucky them.

“Look at that, you’re quite well-built,” said my roommate as he too got out of his bed and started to change his clothes. “I thought you were like those rich nerds, but seems there’s more.” he laughed as he patted my shoulder.

I wonder if it’s illegal to sew your roommate’s lips with a needle. The rule book certainly didn’t mention anything about that.

But in terms of built, he too seems exceptionally well built. He’s lean, but the muscles in his arms and core appear highly dense. If I recall correctly, yesterday, he mentioned his name to be ‘Francis Reaver.’ I’d never heard that surname before. So, he can neither be Royal nor belong to one of the 27 Regal families. It’s also unlikely that he would be part of the ‘Dorian Sea Alliance.’ I’m familiar with the surnames of all families under the alliance, and I’m sure Reaver didn’t fall under it. He said he’s poor. But a poor man cannot have such a build. After all, diet, genes, and exercise all play an essential role in shaping up a person’s physique. And poor men cannot afford a nutritious diet.

Besides, since I’m unfamiliar with his surname, he must have arrived here from another continent. And traveling across the continents is not cheap.

Yesterday, he didn’t seem to be lying, and I could just ask. But I rather not get involved in someone else’s affair. Everyone has secrets. I, too, carry one. And I would feel annoyed if someone else tried to meddle in my affair.

“Hey, hey. Want to see who’s stronger?!!!” he stretched his arm and gestured for arm wrestling.

Is this guy serious? I pointed my finger towards the digital clock on the wall.

“Oh Shit! Only 7 minutes remain.” He donned his t-shirt in a hurry and dashed towards the door but halted right after opening the door. “Wait. Where’s Assembly Hall 4 anyway?”

I sighed.

s.svg

On our way towards the assembly hall, the two of us got surrounded by other guys who had left the dorm. The others all seemed to be rubbing their shoulders with their palm and walking in a curled-up manner. They were all shivering. Considering how the temperature outside the room was below -20C, it made sense that they would shiver.

The two of us, unruffled by the cold and with our backs straight, stood out like diamonds among the stones. I felt quite pleased.

Assembly Hall 4 was warmer compared to the hallways. So, many took a sigh of relief.

“I liked the cold.” said Francis as he stretched his arms.

That makes one thing we both agree on.

I noticed that only boys were present in these halls. It seems all the girls were invited to a different hall. Another thing I noticed was nearly everyone had a proper body build. Not all were muscular, but no one seemed particularly malnourished. Understandable considering the selectiveness of the entrance exams. If I had known many would be this lean and muscular, I’d have spent more time on physical labor.

[Notice: 15 minutes passed. The students who failed to reach Assembly Hall 4 are requested to arrive at Assembly Hall 7 within the next 24 hours]

That sound again, I can still not locate its origin point.

Thud!

The metallic door closed in our Assembly hall. In the podium above the stage, a professor flicked his mic. The noise attracted everyone’s attention.

The professor scouted a quick gaze across the hall. “Barely 800 out of 1200. Slothful idiots cannot even wake up in time.” His voice was quite boorish, but his presence was undeniable. His arms were bulky, as revealed through his sleeveless black shirt. “So, do I need to politely request you to stay in line, or are you all better than mannerless brats who do not know etiquette?”

His soul-piercing black eyes and commanding voice jolted awake the half-asleep students. The students who were scattered across the hall all hurried and formed seven lines in order of height. I, too, followed and stood at the end of a line.

“Now, if anyone read the rules. You would know the 1st week is the elimination week.” Both of his arms gripped the upper edges of the podium. “But you fools you do not like to read. So, let me enlighten you. It means you all are doomed for a week.” he grinned as he noticed the confusion in some of the student’s eyes. “The ones who failed to arrive here in time, will all now be demoted to join the foot soldiers course.”

“What?” “Jut like that?” “Isn’t that a bit too harsh?”

I could hear some murmuring among the students.

“Damn. I nearly missed my opportunity to be a mage.” Francis commented. He stood in the line beside me with his arms crossed behind his head and a smile on his face.

Draco Magic Academy is colossal. There are over 23 assembly halls, 34 cafeterias, 12 dorm buildings, 300 classes, 100’s physical and mana training rooms. The Academy occupies an area of 1,400 km² without even adding the mountain ranges surrounding the Academy.

So if a student is unfamiliar with the blueprint, he would no doubt struggle to find his way. Although Assembly hall 4 was relatively near our dorms, had it not been for me, my roommate would have no doubt failed to locate it, yet still I’ve not heard that ‘Thank you.’

“And, now for the main event.” He snapped his finger. The female professor who stood behind him understood the signal and fiddled with the tablet she carried.

Thud!

Suddenly four metallic black doors towards the east opened up, and a breeze of cold air raged inside.

Right after, many started sneezing and shuddering.

“Can’t even endure little cold and think you can become Mages.” He scoffed and pointed his finger towards the east. Students turned their heads and looked outside. “Now listen up! Somewhere, amidst those mountains, we have built exactly 20 Lodges. If you manage to find one, you’ll be able to make your student ID. Without that ID, you won’t be able to attend the lectures starting on Wednesday at 10 am.” I could see the dread on most of the students’ faces. Not being able to attend the lecture meant getting demoted to be a foot soldier. And who were foot soldiers? Nothing but expendable troops.

On the other hand, Mages were respected. Mages who became War heroes could marry into Regal Families and earn high status. No one came here to be a foot soldier. They came here to be a Mage.

“Today’s Monday. So 2 days in the frosty mountains.” Francis smiled deliriously. He was one of the few who did not seem worried. “Want to see who arrives back first?” he asked while bumping me with his elbow.

How delightful would it be if he got demoted?

“But about food?” “Or clothing?” “Shelter and..” Most students started to panic.

“Don’t panic you fools!” The professor roared. “Food? Countless savage monsters roam the mountains. Kill them and eat! Clothes? Wolves and bears have thick furs. Skin them and wear!” The students became silent. “Did you all come here to be Wimps? No! You all came here to be Mages! And Mages don’t cry they endure. Endure and survive. So run, you fools. Run.”

His loud voice echoed through the room. Students gulped and clenched their fists. One turned towards the gate and took a step forward. Two more followed him. Those two were followed by ten more. Ten became hundred. They marched outside the entrance into the snow lands wearing nothing but t-shirts that barely provided any shelter from the cold.

Maybe it was a sudden surge of motivation, but they all screamed and ran.

“Whoever comes last, treats the other with dragon meatballs,” Francis declared as he too started to sprint.

I just hope he realizes that I never accepted that bet. And if he loses, can he even afford such an expensive item?

I kept both of my arms in my pocket and waited. Within just minutes, the hall became near empty. I’d expected that many wouldn’t even attempt such a feat and give up. But I seem to have underestimated their willpower.

Now, only four people remained in the hall—the two professors above the stage, me and the rejected guy—Edward Blazestone.

I felt a sharp gaze from the professor. He then started to march down the stairs, and Edward began to stroll towards the professor.

Maybe he’d similar thoughts as me? Thinking that even I, slowly, followed him from behind.

Edward slightly bowed as he halted before the professor. “Greetings, Professor Thorn.” He politely greeted, “I’d a simple query about the task.” He kept one arm bent behind his back and another bend by his waist.

Professor Thorn? That sounds familiar.

Thorn caressed his chin. His eyes appeared focused on Edward, but I felt his peripheral examine me.

“It’s just, I felt curious about the means we are allowed to use for this task,” he asked.

The professor answered after a moment of observation, “If you are thinking of using teleportation scrolls. That is forbidden.”

“You misunderstand. I have no intention of relying on such things,” said Edward. “According to the instructions, we have to arrive at the lecture hall by 10 am. So, I wonder if I’m allowed to return to the dorm, and carry some proper things like coats, boots, and food. But more importantly, if I can use the Academy’s arsenal to buy items.”

“Like a map?” Thorn intercepted.

“Yes. Like a map.”

“Do whatever you want.” Thorn said sternly.

“I thank you for your kindness.” He bowed once more and left.

Well, that answered even my questions. So, I turned back and decided to return to my dorm, but…

“Wait.” A stern voice called out. I sighed and turned over.

“I sense no mana from you.” Thorn loomed in front of me, and he was tall. Nearly 20 cm taller than me.

Now, what do I reply? “I’ve not undergone the Academy’s surgery yet. Hence, my mana has not awoken.” I responded in a manner neither too polite nor too rude. It was the truth. Every student who joined the Academy had to undergo surgery where nanomachines would be injected into their bloodstream. Those nanomachines would awaken a person’s mana and help them evolve. But I cannot undergo that surgery. After all, it might reveal secrets that I do not want exposed. “I acquired the permission to skip the surgery from the President of course.”

Thorn extended his arm towards the female professor. She handed him over the tablet.

“And what’s your name?” he asked.

A bit rude. By my eyes and hair, it should be obvious who I am. Yet he asks—an attempt to domineer authority, I see.

“Alistair. Alistair Bloodcrest.” I slightly bowed, similar to how Edward bowed. Nothing wrong with showing courtesy. After all, I’m a gentleman by heart.

“Self-created nanobots. Clever,” he commented as he looked into the tablet.

“I thank you for your praise.”

He again matched my gaze. “And did you not have anything to ask?”

“I already found my answer. Now if I may be excused.”

“You may,” he replied after giving a sharp gaze.

Thus I left.

I’d a proper destination in mind. The same place where Edward had probably gone.

s.svg

The arsenal was a vast room with various compartments. Blue light illuminated the room. Cargos occupied the shelves standing tall in the room.

“That’s preposterous.” I was right; I did find Edward there by the counter. Edward stood in front of the store counter. That was from where the students purchased new items.

I went towards the delivery counter, which was right beside the store counter.

“How may I help you sir?” The girl behind the counter asked.

“I’m here to receive a package.”

“And your name sir?” she asked. Her voice was pleasant.

“Alistair Bloodcrest.”

After checking the records on the screen, she left to get the package.

“It’s foul play.” Things didn’t seem to be so smooth in the store counter.

“It’s not foul play boy, it’s just how things work.” The woman behind that counter looked mature, sly, and stunning with her black hair and green eyes.

“1 mil for a map, that barely costs 10 fangs at best? Ridiculous. I bought the one of the maps yesterday for 10 fangs, and now a million? Have you no shame in trying to scam a student?” he retaliated while still trying to maintain his calm composure.

“10 fangs. yes. If you had asked for it yesterday, or if you ask for it 2 days from now, I’ll sell it to you for 10 fangs,” she smirked. “But not today. Time and place can change the worth of an object by folds. Given the circumstances, even water can become more precious than gold. There is no digital copy of the Academy’s maps. And I possess all the physical copies. So, either pay 10 mil or leave.”

Edward stood there with his fist clenched.

Quite unfortunate. If only you had also bought the maps for the mountain ranges….” she chuckled.

The increase in the value of the maps was inevitable. If a student had been able to obtain the map, he would avoid the traps and find a safe way to the lodges. That would have neglected the entire purpose of the test.

Ah. Do you feel mocked?” she asked with a mocking smile. “Your attempt to try and do something different from the others was not wrong. But the task is meant to test endurance. You’d made a fool of yourself the moment you thought you could outwit the rules.”

Ten million is not an amount any student can possess. So, he has no choice but to play by the rules.

But that is not why you feel frustrated right now, is it?

Thorn didn’t restrict access to the dorms and arsenal. That means there was something that could be done. Even the woman behind the counter said it herself, “If you had asked for it yesterday.” It was a minor chore, but he would have turned the situation around if he had decided to buy all the maps. After all, returning to the dorm was allowed.

All of the students arrived around yesterday or the day before at this Academy, so there was time.

“Tch.” He left.

I would prefer to leave too, but that girl is sure taking her time to find my delivery.

Two minutes later, she arrived while huffing.

“Umm sir…the p-package is marked with a Seal of Red. You must undergo our special verification if you want to receive it.”

How troublesome. I did tell him to send it in the most secure manner. But I’m losing time here.

After about 30 minutes, I finally received the package and arrived at my dorm room. The package was a rectangular box wrapped in back plastic. Inside the wrapping rested a black box. Atop the lid, the mark of a red rose was embedded on it.

The items I expected were inside in two compartments. One was my glasses. I don’t typically wear glasses, not because they don’t suit me. I look good no matter what I wear. But they give off a bit of nerd vibes. So, unless absolutely necessary, I won’t wear them.

Another item was an automated cylindrical metallic syringe. The item that would help me win the bet.

I took off my t-shirt and placed it near my shoulder. 4-5 needles emerged out of one end and penetrated my flesh.

It tickled, but then I felt a sharp pain in my retina.

〚Draconian System Integration Started〛

〚Checking Mana Compatibility〛

〚Estimated Time Until Complete Integration: 1 hour 59 minutes 59 seconds〛

A screen appeared infront my eyes. Less dramatic than I had imagined.

Draco Magic Academy invented the system of nanomachines. Thus, it ran on the Academy’s server in a manner similar to a centralized platform’s. The machine collected data on students’ growth, mana evolution, overall status, etc., and created measures for self-improvement.

Useful for others but troublesome for me.

The President could access the collected data of other students, meaning he could assess specifics about my body structure. I could not allow that to happen. Hence, nanobots. They are linked to the Academy’s server, meaning they will be able to access all the features provided by the nanomachines. In fact, they are entirely similar except for one thing. The encrypted data they send back to the server would be rigged.

My secret would be safe.

It would be problematic if the President found out that the data was being rigged. But I’d already prepared measures for such a scenario.

Needless to say, a 16-year old like me didn’t invent the nanobots. I do not have that level of expertise in the subject matter. I doubt I’ll ever have that level of expertise in that field, as I have little to no interest in that subject. But I do have a human brother who has an interest in the area. He created them. And as for the permission to use self-made nanobots, I didn’t obtain it myself. I have a human father for that. He objected to me leaving the palace and joining the Academy, but even he could not deny me in the end. After all, I always get what I want. That’s how it’s always been, and that’s how it always will be.

And right now, I’ve decided that I’m going to be the first to obtain the student ID. And that’s exactly how things are going to progress.

I stood up and picked up my bag. Inside it was a book. It was one of the three books that I bought about a month ago. The first book was filled with page maps of the Academy buildings. The second consisted of mountain ranges surrounding the Academy. The third consisted of maps of the underground facilities.

I’m pretty curious as to how Edward would react if he realized I had the books?

You see, I’m not like you, Edward. Neither am I like all those in our class. My ambitions and circumstances are both gravely different than anyone else’s. I didn’t arrive at the Academy yesterday or the day before, like all of you. I arrived a month ago. I went through the paperwork, booked a room in the inner academy lodges, and prepared. I roamed the academy grounds and familiarized myself with it. I bought all of the maps, explored places that could be a potential threat to my existence. I acquainted myself with the academy rules. I observed the other batches. I bought all the books in advance and completed covering courses worth at least two semesters.

No matter how tedious the task was, I went through it. Because I have a secret. And I vowed that I wouldn’t let it prevent me from living the kind of life I want to live.


TO BE CONTINUED

Is MC too arrogant? Yes..maybe for now. Also, the chapters would be updated about twice a week. They would be fairly long consisting of at least 3k words. It doesn't seem that long compared to authors who have like 5-7k words per chapter but still.....its the best I can do. Hopefully. Probably. Maybe. Perhaps.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

1