New Friends
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marian and Ravellis and Lucia went shopping. If they were going to possibly have Weesely on their tail, they wanted more protection than they currently had. They’d taken a hundred gold off Hadiin and had set off to buy potions and equipment. A hundred gold might not buy much when it came to enchanted gear, but it could buy plenty of daggers, leather armour, and more mundane goods. 

The sword-witch virtually hummed with excitement. “This is such an interesting turn of events!” she exclaimed. “Don’t you think?”

“I guess,” Marian’s voice was uncertain. 

Rave’s excitement lowered slightly. “Ah. Because it’s Hadiin? Were things that bad between you two?”

“No. Well.” She growled. “I don’t know. I mean, things started off pretty good. I was pretty happy with how things were going. Especially when we made all that money off the ice cream. But then…”

“What happened?” 

“We both went to my room after celebrating. Both kind of drunk. He surprised me by putting my share of the money on the bed. You know, so I could lay in it.”

“And, er, yes.”

“Have really hot sex,” Lucia chimed in with a coy smile. “I saw it all.”

“That. Yeah.” A flash of horrible memories cut through Marian’s mind and she shivered. “Lucia came flying through the window when we were asleep. Woke us up. Then some assassin came through, tried to kill her, then came after us.” Her hand touched her throat. “I almost died.”

“That’s horrible. I’m so sorry.” Rave looked sad and put her hand on Marian’s back, stroking it in sympathy. 

Marian tried to shake off the shiver her brush with death still gave her. “To be fair, it was Hadiin who got them to bring healing potions before we died.” She frowned. “But then, it was like the only thing he cared about was the money the assassin had taken. He barely said two words to me as I’m laying there, covered in blood, desperate to be alive. He didn’t speak until the next day and then it was about getting the money back. He…became this pathetic…loser. I didn’t like who I saw.”

Ravellis seemed sympathetic. “Mmm. I understand.”

“Yes, I’m afraid he’s not perfect,” Lucia added. “We had an incident too.”

This intrigued Marian. “How so?” Her feelings about the female thief were confusing. And she found it odd that Lucia kept her collar up at all times, covering the lower half of her face. Instinctively, she didn’t want to trust her, yet she was curious, all the same.  

Lucia explained. “That night, after the assassin came, I fled. But I only made it a block away. Hadiin found me. He saved my life even though he had no reason to. He bought me a healing potion instead of turning me into the Watch.”

A healing potion? Marian knew just how expensive those were and just how little money he’d had at the time. He’d spent half his gold to save the woman who’d tried to steal from him?

“For…reasons…I lead a lonely lifestyle. He seemed like someone I could trust, maybe, and he knew one of my secrets already, so I thought, why not take a chance? He wanted to try to work together and I wanted to expand my social circle. We made a deal. Although, I must say, he was not trying to replace you.” She put a hand on Marian’s arm to reassure her. 

“What? What do you mean?” Marian tried to act like she didn’t care but, truthfully, it did feel crappy that Hadiin might have replaced her with another partner only hours after they’d argued.

“He talked about how bad he felt when things went wrong between you two. He wanted to make amends and get back together with you.”

“Hmm,” was the extent of Marian’s reply. Did she believe Lucia?

Lucia shrugged. “Then, as he said, he got caught up with Weesely. That feral pretend-merchant dragged him to a restaurant, not giving him any choice in the matter. But then made him an offer that he could have refused.”

“An offer of money?” Marian guessed. 

“Five hundred gold if he would work for Weesely and come up with more ideas like ice cream. Hadiin accepted. He took the money. And I was there to see it.”

Ravellis gasped. “What happened then?”

“I vented my considerable disappointment. Though I left him breathing for the moment. To his credit, he apparently regretted his decision moments later. Left half the money in the bank, sent me a message, and then went to turn Weesely down. That went about as well as you’d imagine.”

Marian snorted with amusement.

“I managed to find him in this secret basement Weesely has in his backyard. Broke him out because he might have been an idiot but he didn’t deserve to die over it. And I…decided to give him another chance.”

Marian nodded. She wondered if there was more to their relationship. Then she wondered why she would care. She might have had sex once with Hadiin but there was nothing romantic between them; that had been excitement and champagne. 

The three walked along in silence. 

Rave pursed her lips. “I was married once, you know.”

Marian and Lucia both looked at her with surprised interest.

“Really?”

“Oh? Do tell!”

Ravellis looked awkward. “Yes. Um, he turned out not to be the nice fellow I fell in love with. He started out sweet and charming and then became controlling and emotionally abusive.”

“A story too many women are surely familiar with,” Lucia opined.

“Oh, men too, I think. Women can be just as cruel, for all we pretend that we’re all angels. Anyways, I left, went out on my own. I was living in quite a rural area at the time, which is how I came upon my daughter. I took her in. After that, I was so busy being a mother that I never did seek out any new romances.”

“Wouldn’t it have been awkward,” Marian asked, “with Glaxis being part goblin?”

Ravellis slowly nodded. “I suspect that Glaxis’s heritage was a convenient excuse more than anything. She’s probably right about that, smart girl. Glaxis does push me to go out and find someone new now and then. But, I have to admit, it’s been so long, and my only experience being so negative, I guess I have reservations about meeting a new man.”

“You don’t want to get burned twice,” Lucia surmised.

“Yes.”

Lucia mused aloud. “I had a…bad experience with my first love as well,” she admitted. “It was fairly recent, so I haven’t thought about meeting anyone new. Hadiin was kind of a surprise.”

Marian interrupted, unable to help herself. “You’re romantically interested in him?” 

“No! Well, not right now. I might have sex with him though.”

“Lucia!” Ravellis gasped, then giggled. Then she noticed Marian’s lack of reaction and suppressed it.

“It just looked like so much fun when Marian was doing it,” she teased.

“It was…really good,” Marian admitted, face flushing. “I’m not all that experienced and it was nice to be chased and, um, being that free in bed.” She told them of her previous condition, recently cured, though she left out where she’d come from and how it had happened.

The others were astonished and sympathetic and supportive. Luckily, both assumed that magic had been the cure and didn’t inquire further.

Lucia continued her previous train of thought. “As I was saying, I had a bad experience with someone. But I think I’m more scared of being someone who gives up on herself, and on love, than being hurt again. I don’t want to become a quitter.”

Both Ravellis and Marian nodded, looking deeply thoughtful.

Then the sword-witch looked up at the both of them and smiled wide. “You know, I’m really quite excited at the idea of spending two weeks in the countryside with you two.”

Marian smiled and put her arm around the woman. “We’re fellow adventurers now. Members of the same party. So we should be friends,” she declared, happy at the prospect. She’d never had a big group of girl friends that she could talk to, or many friends in general. She was starting to get really excited about this trip too.

Rave smiled wide, looking quite pleased. “Friends!” she exclaimed and walked with a bounce in her step.

From the crinkles in her eyes and cheeks, Lucia was smiling too. “Friends.”

💰

When Corvinus returned with his purchase, Hadiin’s jaw slowly dropped. “What did you buy?” he exclaimed, stunned. 

The old warrior made a sly smile from the wagon seat. “You like it?”

The wagon was easily twice as large as Hadiin’s, or bigger. It was a very utilitarian work vehicle, not anything fancy. And it bore the scratches and chips of long use. The horses were not young, but seemed healthy enough, probably the most expensive part of the deal. 

He felt panic grasp his heart. “How much did you spend?” This was going to be really expensive, he was sure of it. And the girls were out spending his money as well. How poor was he going to be by the end of the day.

He climbed down from the wagon. Despite his years, he moved as easily as a much younger man. “I’ve spent enough decades tromping from one place to the next in all seasons and in all weather. Thought I’d get you something you could really make use of.”

Hadiin, stunned, walked around to the back and looked inside. Much like his wagon, this one was covered by a white, canvas tarp soaked in oil. But where his wagon was a small, simple box, this one was a long rectangle with proper benches on each side for travellers, not just cargo. There were metal rings bolted to the insides to secure cargo ropes and a spare wheel under the belly of the wagon. Some of these were already in use as four barrels of something were already loaded. To his delight, a cover could be extended over the driver’s seat for a bit of protection from the elements.

“It’s amazing,” he told Corvinus in all honesty. “But how much? It’s got four horses!” He fretted about the cost of the animals and what it would take to feed them and care for them. 

“It was twenty-eight gold for the lot,” Corvinus stated. “But I figured, with such a big team heading out on the road, you’ll want someplace where folks can sleep if they have to, out of the rain. And this’ll allow you to carry a lot more than your little cart. Best to think of future needs, not just your needs right now. This here wagon is one you can grow into as your business grows, right?”

With a sinking feeling, he realized that he was going to have to learn to be a cowboy as well as a merchant. Well, that was a given if he wanted to be a travelling merchant. Funny how he’d never thought of the little mundane details like horse care before.

Hadiin stroked his mustache, calming himself down. “You’re right. And it’s a beautiful wagon. I’ll just have to find more ways to make it pay for itself.”

“Good lad, thinking on the bright side,” Corvinus approved.

“What’s in the barrels?”

“Oats for the horses. They’ll graze most of the time but this’ll add to their diet. Also a barrel of water. There’s streams and such down south, but I like to be prepared, given the opportunity. Last one’s a barrel of winter whisky. That’s going to cost you another thirty gold.”

“Winter whisky?” he stammered. “Why would you…? Thirty?”

The man looked up at him, meeting his eyes. There was kindness and shrewdness both there. “Yer going to the country to set up shop with a bunch of folk who don’t know you, don’t trust you. So what do you do when you meet neighbors for the first time or want to start a relationship with someone?”

Realization dawned. “You bring gifts. Right.”

“Winter whisky is cheaper than any other type. Believe me, a barrel of anything nicer would have cost a lot more. I got this for a steal because I know a tavern owner here. It might seem expensive right now, but believe me, it’ll pay for itself, if you use it right. Maybe not in coin, but in goodwill.”

“The cornerstone of a smart merchant’s business,” he agreed, feeling much more upbeat about both purchases. He might be out fifty-eight gold, but perhaps it had been worth it. 

The three women returned shortly. Two porters pushed hand carts filled with purchases.

Hadiin, who had calmed after hearing of Corvinus’s expenses, paled. “H-how much…?” 

Marian shrugged. “Seventy-three gold.”

His eyes bugged out. His heart raced. He’d made a small fortune from ice cream, then lost it hours later to a thieving assassin. He’d regained his part of the fortune from a gangster, only to see half of it spent in an hour—and not by him! He put his head in his hands. “These sudden financial swings are going to be the death of me.”

Marian looked down her nose at him. “Hmph. Is that a problem? Think of it as a test of merchanthood. And manhood.”

“Why manhood?”

“Because a real man would be able to do it and not make excuses for why they couldn’t, right?”

“Um, right. No problem.” He grabbed hold of his inner strength and optimism and shone her a winning smile. “My dear, darling Marian, I shall prove to you that I am as capable as I ever was and that I shall only be more so as time goes on.”

“We’ll see,” she replied, acting unimpressed.

Lucia put a thin arm around his waist and whispered in his ear. “I also spent nineteen gold on a recipe for blood regen potions. And promised the alchemist exclusive trade for anything alchemy related for the next year.”

Hadiin…remembered what it felt like when Lucia had turned him on and sucked his blood and…wasn’t as bothered by that expensive. “That actually sounds like an amazing deal,” he muttered quietly enough not to be overheard by the others as they approvingly exclaimed over the new wagon and began loading it with the new supplies. “How did you get a recipe? I would assume those are guarded.”

“I told him that you were the one who invented ice cream and that you had other ideas you might share. And, apparently, there’s a genius alchemist in our party? I said I would share recipes if she had or came up with anything he didn’t know.”

“That…brilliant,” he readily admitted. “Thank you!”

“Hey, gotta keep my blood slave topped up.” She winked. 

“Partners,” he countered. 

“Whatever.”

A thought occurred to him. “Lucia,” he began in that tone of voice one uses in relationships that instantly tells the other party that something potentially bad is about to be said.

She turned wary. “What?”

“I know I promised you half of what we might make on this excursion. And I don’t want to go back on my word. If you insist on that, I’ll understand. But…” He glanced at Marian and the other two, who were chatting together by the wagon. 

Lucia clued in quickly. “Marian. You don’t want her to get left out.”

“Actually,” and this was only occurring to him now, “not just her. I think, and I’m not sure, but maybe the others should get a share too. I don’t know. If we were just hiring mercenaries or staff or something, it might be different. Maybe they would just get regular pay. But this doesn’t really feel like that kind of venture, you know?”

She eyed him, searching his eyes for something. “You want everyone to get a share?”

“Maybe? Something? I’m sorry. I know that would be taking away from your share. But something about this group feels like it’s not just business. It’s…people.” He struggled for what he was feeling and trying to say. 

To his surprise, she made a little laugh. Then she leaned over and kissed his cheek, though it was through the collar of her jacket and her lips didn’t touch his skin. “I’m proud of you.”

“Er, what?”

“You know who my other identity is. And you know what I do with what I steal. I help others. That you want to do right by others is wonderful.”

“It is? Even though you’d get less?”

“I don’t care about the money. I’m more impressed to see that you care about the others. I think offering everyone a share is a great idea.”

He sighed with relief. “Good. So, you think two percent each is good?”

She turned a narrow-eye glare on him. 

He laughed and held up his hands. “I jest! At least four.”

A dagger jabbed him in the side.

“Ow! Ok, six. Ow! Eight. Ow! Stop poking me!”

She put the dagger away, eyes lingering on the tiny droplets of blood on his shirt. “I’m only stopping because that’s making me thirsty. We’ll talk about finances on the road.”

“Talking does not involve stabbing.”

“Sometimes it does.” She patted his cheek and went to join the others. 

💰

They had goods for the farming community they were headed to but they also had things that might be suitable for the elves, should he be able to make peaceful contact, which was his goal. There were basic, long-term foodstuffs, like flour and sugar, seed for planting, used tools like axes and saws and several boxes of nails, even a box of cheap arrowheads. 

They had what they thought they might need for setting up in the countryside. This included dishes and proper camping gear in case there was nowhere to live and they had to build a house or something. Soap, rags, a few changes of clothing, good boots, and other general gear. 

The mimic chest, wrapped in several thick chains, had been crammed into the back of Hadiin’s wagon and some of his stuff transferred to the other. Because nobody wanted to ride or sleep with a creature that might swallow them.

They took their places. He would drive his smaller wagon and Corvinus offered to drive the larger, with Marian and Ravellis on board. Lucia mockingly took pity on him and offered to sit with Hadiin, so that he wouldn’t be alone. Also, he suspected, so that she could snack on his blood. He had hoped that Marian would join him so that they might talk and heal. Perhaps later. It would be a long journey. 

The two wagons were just making their way to the nearest city gate when Hadiin looked over his shoulder and just happened to spot a pair of leather-clad thugs he unfortunately recognized. They didn’t seem to be in a hurry, but they were definitely on a mission, craning their necks and looking everywhere, examining every single face in the street with purpose. 

Were they looking for him?

He ducked and lowered his hat a little more, glad that they were already leaving town. 

“What’s wrong?” Lucia asked. When he told her, she frowned. “Someone must have recognized you earlier.”

“Yes.”

She pointedly looked at him. “That’s one problem that’s not going to go away on its own.”

His lips pressed flat, then he answered. “I know. I’ll have to come up with a plan. Unless you think you could…?” He looked suggestively at her. 

“What? Kill him for you?” She rolled her red eyes. “I’m a thief, not an assassin, remember? The last professional hitperson kicked my ass and almost killed me. Would have if I wasn’t…you know.”

“We’ll get you lots of practice,” he assured her. “You can get a new class. Some new Skills.”

“In the countryside?” she mocked.

“You could, perhaps…stalk and assassinate wild boars for practice?”

She gave him a level look.

“Practice throwing knives at pheasants? Stab fish in the river?”

She half rose to depart the wagon. “Ok, I think I’m going to ride in the other wagon. Have fun!” 

He threw an arm around her narrow waist and pulled her back with a laugh. He felt surprisingly good, despite the danger behind them. Hopeful. “Oh, come on. This is going to be fun, Lucia. An adventure! With money to be made!”

She grumbled something he couldn’t clearly hear about already missing civilization. 

“If nothing else, you’ll get to practice patience. And isn’t that really important in your line of work?” He bumped her shoulder with his own.

“Oh shut up and drive,” she ordered him, though she didn’t look so unhappy at that moment. In fact, the corner of her mouth might have been turned up in a smile. 

 

0