Chapter 7: Starting Line [Scarlett]
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sorry for disappearing!

A lot of things have been going on in my life, such as bereavement and almost failing uni, and I needed to take a step back from everything and take care of myself, as well as prioritise studying. But as I was writing every now and then, I realised I wasn't happy with the direction the next few chapters went so I decided to rewrite them.

But on top of what was going on in my life, I also underestimated the work, which is why it took a very long time to post anything, especially something that was at a standard where I was happy. So, I'm super sorry! But I hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters!

Also before I close this off, I wanted to take a moment to shout out some beta readers who helped me finesse these upcoming chapters! So thank you KyuuGZT, GalavantingGoose and Shy_Write!! You guys are incredible and I couldn't have done this without your help.

And now, let's get back to the story!

The scent that surrounded them was unfamiliar; cedar-like with a hint of mint and the soft musk of leather. The air also tasted different as mild notes of citrus grazed them by. The chattering of excited travellers filled their ears, while the movement of the crowds ushered the girls forward. Shuffling along, they navigated their way through the modestly festive airport terminal.

Groggy and adjusting to the new time zones, they made their way through immigration and customs, before locating their luggage. With the painful cost of losing their sleep, the girls were able to expedite the process and arrive in Tokyo, Japan in a little over a week.

Leya let out a large yawn, while Zero scouted the area, directing her sisters through the terminal. Grateful that the signs had some English written underneath the Kanji, the girls made their way to the train station that was attached to the airport. One last short trip to reach the outskirts of Tokyo where their bed-and-breakfast resided. Although it made their wallets unhappy, it was a miracle they could find one on the periphery of the capital city under such short notice.

Buildings whizzed by, as Scarlett gazed out the train window. Her tired eyes drifted above. Despite the temperature being similar to London, the late morning skies were much clearer overseas. She never thought she’d missed the grey overcast so soon.

But she knew the endeavour would be temporary, as their trip to Japan would be over once her sisters completed their investigation. It was a shame they couldn’t stay within the boundaries of Tokyo for long, as their long-term residence was located in the city of Musutafu—courtesy of Zero’s music label. However, it would not be ready for them until a few days later. Maybe this would give Scarlett a chance to explore the capital city, while the others were off on their adventure.

But that was something to think about after a well-needed nap.

Opening the front door, the apartment was smaller than what they were used to. The living room and kitchen were combined, while the two bedrooms were off to the side. One for Juno and Zero, the other for Leya and Scarlett. The home was furnished with simple timber furniture, with pale blue and grey accents. It was minimalistic, and its well-kept appearance reminded Scarlett of show houses used to sell people manufactured homes. But at least the neighbourhood seemed quiet. 

As they shuffled into the small abode, it wasn’t long until all four girls crashed into their beds, losing their fight against their jetlag. It was only several hours later did they stir awake when Zero had to answer an urgent phone call. Although the conversation was hard to make out through her sleepiness, Scarlett was sure it had something to do with her secondary career.

She rolled over, returning her head to her pillow and hoping sleep would take her once again. But her stomach had other plans. It grumbled loudly, demanding food this instant. Scarlett groaned as she rose from her bed. She was so tired, she had completely forgotten to check if there was any complimentary food in their bed-and-breakfast. But there was no better time to check than now. Rubbing the sleep out of her eye, she made her way to the communal area.

Already in the foyer, Juno and Leya began to wrap themselves warm, readying to leave and greet the cold weather. Before their eyes shifted and landed on the sleepy girl nearby.

“Good morning, sleepyhead,” Juno signed after adjusting her white earmuffs.

Scarlett yawned a good morning back, before asking, “Where are you going?”

“We’ve got a potential lead we wanna check out,” Leya answered, zipping up her leopard-printed coat. But before Scarlett could inquire more, Juno continued explaining.

“Don’t worry,” she expressed. “It’s probably nothing, but we just want to make sure since we’re already here.”

A small frown surfaced on Scarlett’s face. “I’m not worried—honestly, I’m hungry if anything.” The monotone delivery made the other two smile and laugh.

“Well, Zero did say she was gonna get some food,” gestured Juno. “But if you’re hungry, why don’t you grab something light to eat at the shop nearby.” Juno began to rummage through her matching ivory bag. She brought out her purse, pulled out a couple of Japanese yen notes and handed them to Scarlett. “This should be enough for some snacks.”

“Oh, if you’re going to go to the shops, get something for me too.” Leya had already put her shoes on and had one foot out the door.

“But make sure you don’t spoil your appetite.” Juno followed Leya’s lead. “Zero said she wouldn’t be long anyway.” The oldest sister flashed a smile and waved goodbye before she rushed out the door, leaving Scarlett all alone in the apartment. She stared at the money in her hands. So, there were no complimentary snacks.

“I guess I have no choice then,” she spoke to the empty air around her, as a small prick of being sidelined scratched at her chest. But she pushed it aside. 

Adorning her grey coat, Scarlett set out to locate the aforementioned shop. Meandering her way through the half-lit and narrow streets, she passed by a young child with a blue headband and matching blue coat. He had an anxious expression as he wandered on his own. His gaze seemed to be fixed on the ground, looking for something. But Scarlett continued to walk on by, making a passing note as she scanned the location. But the area showed no signs of a shop. 

Scarlett frowned. Why were there only residential buildings around here? Had Juno been wrong? She pushed the thought away and grabbed her phone. Hoping it would provide some answers, she typed ‘shops near me’ into the internet search bar.

And it did, pinging onto her screen the convenience stores within the neighbourhood. The only problem was that she had gone the wrong way. Scarlett’s ears reddened.

Flushed but grateful she was alone, she turned around before realising she would have to walk by the young boy once again. She internally groaned, lowering her gaze as she walked past. But now the child seemed preoccupied, cuddling a large white animal wearing a grey trench coat. 

Maybe he looked sad because he was looking for his teddy bear.

Although Scarlett didn’t think too much about how he lost something that was almost the same size as him. Continuing on, a building with a metal cage caught her eye in the far distance. An old red brick structure that stuck out compared to the concrete-grey establishments that surrounded it. Its tower was highlighted with spotlights, illuminating the clock faces that resided near the top with a copper glow. Judging by the appearance of the light scaffolding, it must have needed some minor repairs. 

She glanced at her phone, zooming in on the map. Okay. I’m in the right area. There should be a convenience store somewhere here... Searching for it, a small fluorescent sign tucked in the corner of the street caught her attention. She had found it. 

With her stomach growling to remind her how empty it was, she entered the convenience store, only to be bombarded with the choices that were available. Unable to read any of the packaging, she had to rely on her phone to translate, as well as search the internet for popular snacks. But something peculiar piqued her interest. A leopard-printed sleeping mask hidden away in the toiletries section.

She thought back to Leya’s request. Her sister never specifically asked for any food. A smile gently tugged at Scarlett’s lips. If anyone could style this in confidence, it would be Leya. She placed the item into the basket and moved on. Would there be something else like this here for the others as well?

Searching and grabbing what her sisters may like, she swiftly moved to checkout. While the cashier finished scanning the items and began bagging them, Scarlett pocketed the mask. She wouldn’t want Leya to find it while she was looking for some snacks. That would ruin the surprise. A subtle smile danced on her face. One Christmas stocking gift was ticked off her list. Now she had to try and find something for the others. Contemplating what to do, Scarlett paid the cashier, while muffled shouting could be heard outside.

Glancing through the window, a large rag-doll-like figure descended from the rooftops, while a voice in the far distance yelled out. The doll wore a burlap sack as a face mask, which contrasted against his dark clothes. Two orange orbs were ablaze underneath the mask, forging the illusion of eyes. Crosses were hand-stitched across its face to imitate a mouth. Although it was a little jarring for the festive season, their overall appearance held a scarecrow-like quality.

Squinting her eyes, a green silhouette appeared. They continued to give chase, but it was clear they were too slow for the dark figure.

Scarlett’s mood soured. This was probably a chase sequence between a Pro Hero and a Villain. And it was just her luck she had to be nearby when it happened. But at least someone was trying to stop them. Even if they weren’t fast enough.

But her eyes widened as the Villain continued to run by. The child from earlier and his plush toy giggled to themselves as they entered the street, completely unaware of who they were about to intercept. Scarlett’s heart dropped. This was not going to end well.

CRACK!

The sound of a whip echoed, as a warning shot left a dent in the pavement nearby. The young boy screamed, ducking behind a lamppost and clutching the animal close to his chest. The Scarecrow pivoted around, panting heavily as a man in green landed a short distance away. 

The Hero had dark hair, with a relatively handsome face. A few green scales highlighted his cheekbones, while his green costume had two white lines running down his torso. A large white ‘W’ in a circle was printed on his chest. In his hand, he held a glowing whip.

Scarlett glared at him. Why would you aim so recklessly?

“That’s far enough!” the Hero bellowed.

The Villain shook his head. “No...”

Unable to understand their exchange, Scarlett edged closer to the scene, ignoring the cashier who had asked her some questions. Her eyes shifted between the two men and the young boy. He had slowly moved away and hidden himself behind a nearby car. But a nagging feeling fluttered in her stomach. Neither of them had noticed him yet. But there was nothing to guarantee it would remain like that.

“How did you know where to find me?” The Scarecrow’s voice trembled.

The Pro Hero chuckled. “That’s not important right now. What matters is that you answer to your crimes!” He raised his whip once again, causing the masked figure to whimper and cower.

Damn it Green Guy, stop antagonising him. You’re gonna make him desperate.

“Tch, not gonna answer?” the Villain hissed. “You’re just gonna drag me away, and lock me up?” The masked man began to scratch his face, tugging at the threads of the burlap sack.

The Green Hero’s face dropped. “You put innocent people’s lives at risk.”

“Don’t call them that! They’re not innocent!” The Scarecrow gestured to his face in distress. “They did this to me. They deserved it!”

“Setting their homes on fire doesn’t justify what happened to you.”

The masked figure took a step back. He stared at the person before him, searching for a sense of understanding. But there was nothing there. A moment of stillness brushed by, before he muttered to himself. “You’re the same. You’re just like them.”

With a shaky breath, the fabric on the Villain’s back twisted and shifted. Fluttering from his torso, three large crows of black smoke and glowing orange eyes emerged. They circled around him, forming a protective barricade.

“I didn’t do anything wrong!” He raised his voice in desperation. The scratching became feverish.

Scarlett pressed her lips together. Great. Now it’s escalated. A small scowl appeared on her face, as she watched the Hero raise a hand defensively. Please don’t provoke him further.

“You can’t escape this!” the Hero called out. “I’ve already alerted my colleagues. Do you really think you can take us all on?”

The Scarecrow's eyes widened. Like a blackbird, his head jerked side to side; surveying the area for further threats. But instead, his eyes landed on the child and the white animal in his hands. The boy’s face ashened.

Oh, God.

0