Extra 3 – What if certain variables had changed?
78 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Spoiler

“Arms around my neck,” the other repeated, holding Jixue’s gaze firmly. “I’m going to pick you up.”

Something – some strange instinct – told Jixue to just go along with it; to remain compliant, at least for the time being. No matter what happened, he would have to deal with it. He would have to deal with it and focus on ensuring his own survival.

[collapse]

In hindsight, Jixue wasn’t completely sure why, and that point in time, it had made even less sense to him. In part, it might’ve been due to the blood – the blood loss and the thick stench of blood leaving him temporarily overwhelmed. It might’ve also been something else though; a fear response akin to that of a prey animal trying to keep a predator from noticing it.

However, whether it was due to one or the other or due to something else entirely, Jixue found himself unable to move, unable to even speak, as the crimson-haired demon approached, leaving a trail of blood and bodies in his wake – and it certainly occurred to Jixue that he might well be next.

And yet, he couldn’t move. He couldn’t do anything but watch. Maybe it was the substance he’d been subjected to. Maybe it was the blood loss. Or maybe, maybe it was the stark feeling of helplessness, combined with the realisation that he was completely on his own in all of this. Because while hecould still feel the System’s presence, it had grown strangely muted, and the closer the demon got, the less he could feel it.

This is how I die, Jixue thought. This is how

The other dropped down to one knee before him and reached out.

“Little bird,” the demon crooned, tone unexpectedly gentle. “Are you all right?”

Jixue wasn’t, but he couldn’t⸺

“Little bird,” the demon crooned, taking Jixue’s hands in his, running his thumbs over the bloodied knuckles. “Can you understand me?”

Jixue certainly could, because the other was addressing him in the common tongue – and not in the garbled dialect that he’d previously spat at the demons that now lay dead all around them. Jixue could, and he managed the slightest of nods.

“Good,” the demon said, pulling him forward. “Arms around my neck. I’m going to pick you up.”

Jixue didn’t want to. He didn’t⸺

“Arms around my neck,” the other repeated, holding Jixue’s gaze firmly. “I’m going to pick you up.”

Something – some strange instinct – told Jixue to just go along with it; to remain compliant, at least for the time being. Because no matter what happened, he’d have to deal with it. He’d have to deal with it and focus on ensuring his own survival. And yet⸺

Feeling those warm fingers grip the back of his neck, Jixue couldn’t help but whimper, realising just how easy it would be for the other to snap it.

This made the other pause though, and then that hand moved downwards until it was around his middle, holding him close. It put additional pressure on Jixue’s new wings, partially hidden beneath the red robe the other had previously dumped on top of him. But Jixue said nothing, simply screwed his eyes shut as his vision suddenly swam, then greyed out and darkened around the edges.

 


 

By the time he regained consciousness, he was somewhere else. He was feeling slightly better than before though, and burrowed further into that warmth. He found himself under a mound of blankets, and found that he honestly didn’t mind it.

There was another presence though, moving just on the edges of his perception. Jixue vaguely recognised it, but strangely enough, he wasn’t immediately alarmed. He wasn’t alarmed until he heard it once more; the distinct noise of flesh being torn from bone.

He was already firmly awake and moving by the time the full stench of blood flooded his senses. It was dark though; it was dark and the mound of blankets proved a heavy obstruction.

Still, Jixue somehow managed to get out from under it and scrambled away, but found himself incredibly disorientated. Then there was the issue of the wings throwing off his sense of balance. Jixue still pushed onward though, because he couldn’t stay. He had to get away. He had to get away before he was the one getting torn apart.

He tried, but he didn’t get very far.

“Little bird,” the other crooned. “Little baby bird.”

Jixue wasn’t a baby bird. He wasn’t⸺

His wrists were brought together and held firmly in the other’s grip. Then a hand came to rest against the back of his neck, giving it a firm squeeze; a warning.

“Calm down,” the other crooned. “I don’t intend to eat you.”

That wasn’t reassuring in the slightest – if it had even been meant to reassure. Jixue honestly didn’t know. He could only stumble forward as the other steered him back towards the makeshift nest.

Then, Jixue was made to kneel on top of it, and softly but firmly told to stay put, which he did, even as the stench of blood grew stronger. He did, even as a morsel of raw meat was put into his mouth.

Jixue hadn’t meant to swallow it, but when he did, it didn’t make him gag. It wasn’t his first time consuming raw meat, but this, this was definitely⸺

“Good,” the other crooned, evidently pleased. “More?”

Jixue was uncertain, but ultimately shook his head. The blood was definitely getting to him though, and the taste of that raw meat just now; he definitely didn’t hate it. He had no idea what it was though; what had been its origin. He only knew that it wasn’t among the types of meat that humans regularly consumed, nor was it human in origin – because whether Jixue liked it or not, he did know what humans tasted like.

“Well,” the other said. “If you’re sure.”

Jixue was sure – reasonably sure, at any rate. There were plenty of other points of uncertainty however.

Still, when the other coaxed him to lie back down and bundled him back up, he didn’t resist it. Instead, he just lay there, listening, trying to figure things out. Burrowing back into the blankets, he did realise why he couldn’t see though, because there appeared to be something like a blindfold fitted over his eyes.

“Say, little bird...” the voice crooned, close yet strangely distant. “Where is your home? Where should I take you?”

Home? Where was home? Sure, there was the Green Jade Peaks, but⸺

“Or...” the voice crooned, now close enough for him to keenly smell the alcohol on the other’s breath. “...Should I bring you home with me?”

Jixue felt his heart skip a beat.

 


 

Being back at the Green Jade Peaks felt strange. It felt strange to face his master, and everything and everyone. It felt strange to once again feel the System in his head – strange and jarring and wrong, like when he’d promised Master that he would remain in seclusion and focus on his cultivation. Because even though he had – even though he tried – he found himself increasingly distracted, and his back ached, his wings once again hidden.

Over time, his sleep grew increasingly restless, even though he dutifully drank the strong herbal potion his master insisted upon every night. By now, it wouldn’t even knock him out, just leave him in a light doze, not quite awake but not quite asleep either. And as he lay there, his thoughts returned often to crimson curls and amber-coloured eyes, watching him keenly.

The remembrance made something stir within him – wariness, but not quite. Jixue had tried to ask the System about it, only to be firmly rebuffed and told to focus on the mission at hand, which made sense, because that was why Jixue was here, but⸺

It made no sense, and truthfully, it made no difference. It made no difference, and yet⸺

 


 

Master was gone, ascended, but not before lecturing him so much. And Jixue had attempted to listen, he really had. He’d attempted to take those words to heart, and yet, somehow, Master’s lectures about caution and avoidance had fallen into the same category as those of the System. Master and the System had both told him to stay away. Master and the System had both attempted to ensure that he did. And yet⸺

Jiao Zilei was a nuisance, and the other would’ve been annoying even if he hadn’t been a fellow transmigrator with a System of his own. Jixue found it very difficult to be around him though, for obvious reasons.

So, upon the realisation that they’d both been doused with some manner of aphrodisiac, Jixue had done the responsible thing and chucked the other off of a cliff and into a river. Jumping in himself would’ve been the only other viable option, but knowing the stubbornness of that fool, the other would’ve just jumped in after him.

As such, Jixue had done what was necessary, and now, he needed to negotiate with the System for some manner of antidote. He needed to, and yet, right as he attempted to do so, Jixue felt it again; the System’s presence suddenly becoming muted, and the sudden weakness that followed it.

Overcome by a sudden bout of dizziness, Jixue fell to his knees, his breaths growing increasingly laboured as he struggled against the feverish heat rising in his body. Those bastards – Jixue had a fair idea as to which bastards might be behind this, and he would make them pay. He would make them pay, and then⸺

Arms scooped him up, and Jixue found his vision filled with red before everything fell away.

 


 

There were voices, speaking quietly but urgently, and Jixue’s body was hot, growing even hotter.

“I think he’s been poisoned,” a familiar voice murmured, and Jixue leaned into the rumble of that chest, wanting to burrow closer as someone else’s fingers pressed against the side of his throat.

“Oh, he’s been poisoned all right,” said another voice, this one female.

“But who could’ve done such a thing?” the first asked, and Jixue considered giving the other some names – to have the culprits dealt with swiftly and without mercy. He didn’t though, because he found that he couldn’t speak.

“Who knows,” the female voice responded. “The real question is, what do we do next?”

“No need to ask,” the other said, hoisting Jixue up even further. “Antidote!”

Hah. Yeah. That sounded⸺

 


 

Waking up, Jixue found himself lying in an unfamiliar bed. His surroundings were certainly not bad though, although they weren’t the most luxurious ones that he’d ever woken up in.

“Oh,” said a vaguely familiar female voice. “You’re awake.”

The woman – a demon of some sort – leaned over him but didn’t touch him. She had red hair and amber-coloured eyes, but the shades of both were just slightly off from the ones Jixue wanted to see.

“Where’s⸺?” he began, then trailed off, finding his voice annoyingly weak – and the rest of him as well.

“My brother’s busy,” she immediately said. “As the Demon King, he does have certain duties to attend after all.”

Oh. The Demon King, huh.

“Now,” she murmured, leaning in. “What do we do with you in the meantime, hm? Hongyan told me to send you on your way, but... should I? Right now, you’re too weak to defend yourself. It’d be such a waste to let you go now and give someone else the chance to catch you.”

Jixue resented that, and yet⸺

“It won’t happen again,” he eventually managed. “Next time⸺”

Next time? There wouldn’t be a next time.

 


 

There wouldn’t be a next time. Jixue would make sure of it. He would make sure of it, even if he had to extend his hunting territory and start consuming the flesh of his targets. There would be no next time. He would make sure of it, consuming their flesh and using their qi to strengthen his own.

Jixue grew so focused on the task that he barely thought of anything else, barely thought about his own mission until he ran right into it.

The boy watched him warily, for which Jixue honestly couldn’t blame him, given what the other had just seen. Still, the boy didn’t run, even as Jixue moved to kneel before him.

“Little one,” he said, human words strangely foreign to him around the taste of that raw meat. “Will you come with me?”

Anyone else would’ve probably said no. Anyone else would’ve probably either screamed or remained completely quiet, frozen up in primal fear. This one didn’t however. This one took a step forward and wrapped his arms around Jixue’s neck.

 


 

Little Yue – later Mingyue – proved a welcome distraction. He wasn’t a distraction though, not truly – he was the Mission. Jixue tried to remember that; tried to remind himself of that, and yet far too often, Jixue found his thoughts straying. Far too often, he found himself straying as well.

Zilei, that fool, kept tagging along though, kept chatting and comparing their accomplishments, even their heights. According to him, Jixue had grown taller – and maybe he had, but what did it matter? A few measly centimetres, what did they matter?

 


 

Little Yue being taken was a shock; a sudden strike by Demon Realm forces, stealing away Little Yue and Jixue’s peace of mind.

And yet, there was the System – System 225 – standing in his way. He didn’t care though. He didn’t care about penalties or points. He didn’t care about the prospect of getting forcefully ejected. At that moment in time, he cared for nothing at all – for nothing save for Little Yue, and getting him back in one piece.

And he would’ve done that too, given the chance. However, even though Jixue was now significantly stronger compared to before, that strength meant little against the System – both his own and that of others – and he cursed them both as he fell into darkness.

 


 

How long Jixue was out was anyone’s guess, and he rather doubted that anyone had been keeping count. It had to have been a while though, because by the time he regained his senses, he was somewhere else entirely, the System’s presence no longer muted but rather gone entirely.

It was the strangest thing; something simply too good to be true – much like the sight of Little Yue, seemingly unharmed, holding his hand with a relieved but nevertheless serious expression on his face.

“Master,” Little Yue said, clutching Jixue’s hand even tighter. “You’re awake.”

And indeed, he was, unless he was in fact dreaming. For now though, Jixue didn’t care, because this seemed like a very good dream.

“Mingyue,” said another voice, this one also highly familiar. “Give him some space. He doesn’t like to be crowded.”

That much was true. Jixue didn’t like to be crowded. He didn’t want to let go either though, but ultimately found his fingers much too weak to hold on.

Little Yue’s hand slipping from his grip did alarm him, but another soon replaced it; warm and solid and achingly familiar, much like the crimson hair and the amber eyes watching him now.

“Good morning,” said the Demon King, Youming Hongyan. “How are you feeling?”

Jixue wasn’t sure about that, honestly. First and foremost, he was confused.

“Don’t worry,” the other told him, leaning in. “I’ll explain everything later. For now, just rest. You did well...”

 

“...You Bingleng.”

 


 

[So,] said the System Support stationed at the System Service Desk, addressing the two Systems on the other side of the counter. [Simply for the sake of clarification: Your Hosts got lost in World 220, is that correct?]

[Yes,] said System 225, lying through its tiny but very sharp teeth as it pushed forward the appropriate form, already filled in. [This System’s Host was indeed lost.]

[Yes,] said System 403, following the example of its senior System. [This System’s Host was also lost.]

The System Support looked from the forms to the Systems and then back again. [How unfortunate,] it then said, taking the forms. [Take better care next time around.]

[Yes,] said System 225, tail swishing. [This System certainly intends to do so.]

[Yes,] said System 403. [This System certainly intends to do so as well.]

Then, as they both left, the System Support looked at their retreating forms exactly once more before looking back down at the forms.

[Contract cancelled due to... irreconcilable differences, huh? Fair enough.]

Then, the System Support picked up the other form; the first.

[Contract cancelled due to... divine intervention?]

It flipped through the rest of the papers, getting additional information on the issue at hand. Then, it picked up the phone-shaped communicator, not taking its eyes off of the page as it spoke up.

[Hello, this is System Support down at the System Service Desk at the Lounge, kindly requesting that a System Administrator come down. Yes, World 220, that is correct. Two Transmigrators at once this time around. Yes, this System Support is aware. Yes. This System Support will be waiting.]

The call ended, and the System Support let out a slight sigh, making sure that the paperwork was in the correct order. Because unlike most of the forms submitted to the System Service Desk, the higherups might actually want to take a closer look at these ones.

[Honestly]

Wasn’t it lunch break yet?

 


 

Meanwhile, in the aforementioned World 220, a certain transmigrator sat, unsure as to what to think of recent developments.

“Well,” he said, tuning the instrument that Little Mingyue had not yet tossed off of a cliff. “That’s one skilled taxi driver, I guess.”

His disciple – Little Ziyu – said nothing in turn, simply rolled his eyes while continuing to do paperwork, pausing only to insert earplugs when Jiao Zilei started strumming the instrument.

 


 

And while Peak Lord Jiao and his future replacement busied themselves with that, a certain time-travelling Demon King had a very important announcement to make.

“So, basically, I’m taking a break to enjoy my honeymoon,” he said, thoroughly enjoying the looks this earned him. “And after much thought and consideration, I’ve finally found someone to act as my regent.”

Saying this, he clapped one Bai Mingyue on the shoulder, earning himself a particularly cold glare from the cultivator in question.

Then, the aforementioned cultivator turned his gaze forward, staring at the current members of the Royal Council with a gaze that was anything but warm. But once the young cultivator finally spoke, his voice was quite soft. However, there was a definite edge of cold steel to it, which matched well with the general frostiness of the gaze that accompanied it.

“I will be in your care,” he said, but his eyes said something different – You will be at my mercy, it said – or lack thereof, perhaps.

And Hongyan relished in it, he really did; he relished in seeing the way those royal advisors shivered, exchanging terrified looks. Because it honestly didn’t matter if Mingyue got rid of a few of them, because there were few of them worth keeping at this point in time.

Satisfied with what he had accomplished so far, Hongyan then left, returning to far more important things.

Former Transmigrator Bai Jixue – alias You Bingleng, alias Vector – was sitting over by the window, clearly waiting.

“It’s handled,” Hongyan told him. “Let’s go.”

And so, off they went.

 


 

Years down the line, certain efforts had paid off. Certain nuisances had also seen it fit to appear though, and Hongyan had dealt with them accordingly.

“Jixue,” he said, returning to his mate with a smile and a bundle. “I got you something.”

And his mate immediately went from mildly annoyed to alarmed, and immediately took the bundle from him. Jixue then quickly put it down and unfurled it, revealing the unconscious young Transmigrator within.

“That one’s also a Little Yue,” Hongyan said, nodding to himself. “I’m thinking about giving him to Mingyue to raise, but... there’s something troublesome attached to him.”

And there was indeed something troublesome – a System of sorts.

“We’ll get it out,” Jixue said, and the firm conviction in his voice warmed Hongyan’s heart.

“We will,” he agreed.

“Yes,” Jixue said, watching him keenly. “We will.”

 


 

Predictably, it didn’t take Mingyue long to take to his new ward. Rather, it took scarcely a moment before Mingyue claimed him, and the look the other sent Hongyan’s way clearly indicated that they would not be getting him back.

Truth to be told though, Hongyan had expected no less. Besides, they already had enough offspring to keep track of at this point, even if some of them were already old enough to start considering starting families of their own.

And, speaking of families⸺

“Yeah, yeah, I know, but Jun, how many times do I need to tell you that violence isn’t always the answer?” Jiao Zilei said, oblivious to Hongyan’s scrutiny as he admonished his son for getting into yet another fight.

“Why wouldn’t it be?” Hongyan’s nephew asked, trailing sullenly beside him. “Mother said⸺”

The former Peak Lord’s smile turned decidedly pained at the mention of his ex, Youming Limao, who wasn’t dead but rather divorced and in another relationship.

“Jun,” Jiao Zilei said. “Your Mother isn’t⸺”

“But Aunt Xunyun and Qiuyu said so as well!” Little Jun argued. “They said I should give gifts, dress in red, and prove my worthiness by defeating Yue-shixiong or his guardian in combat!”

Ah. So that was what Mingyue had thrown a hissy fit about. Still⸺

“Little Jun, for your own sake, I hope you didn’t injure more than Little Yue’s pride,” Hongyan said, stepping out into the open, unable to help but smile at the look of despair Jiao Zilei sent him – and not for the first time, he thought about the way things had gone, and how much satisfaction the nuisance staying behind had unwittingly brought him. That said however⸺ “Before you initiate a courtship, you should at least ask for permission. Besides⸺”

“I did!” Little Jun argued. “I indicated my intentions to eventually marry Yue-shixiong and Master Bai freaking laughed at me and told me to come back in a hundred years!”

Well⸺ “Technically, he did tell you to come back eventually though?”

“He also tossed me off of a damned cliff!”

Yeah⸺ “I’m not surprised.”

“And he forbad me from seeing Yue-shixiong! He got that sneaky old bastard to do something to the wards and now I can’t get back in!”

Well, wasn’t this starting to sound awfully familiar?

“Junjun,” Hongyan said, crouching down slightly so that they could see more eye to eye. “Have you asked for Little Yue’s opinion in all of this?”

Predictably, this gave Hongyan’s nephew a slight pause. Then Little Jun bit into his bottom lip and promptly averted his eyes.

“I did ask,” the brat finally admitted. “And Yue-shixiong said that he’d consider it.”

Ah, honestly⸺

“Junjun, that’s not a no, but that’s not a yes either. It means Little Yue wants more time to think about it and that your continued conduct will determine his answer. Also, the Green Jade Peaks is the Green Jade Peaks, and not the Demon Realm. The rules of engagement are different over there.”

“The rules of engagement...” Little Jun repeated slowly, evidently confused. “Then what rules do I have to follow in order for Yue-shixiong to agree to a formal betrothal?!”

Yeah, that wasn’t exactly what Hongyan had meant, but... whatever, honestly.

He looked towards Jiao Zilei, who seemed to be in the process of sneaking off now that Hongyan had apparently taken control of the situation. Hongyan had no intention of letting him get away though, because while Hongyan was a parent, this one definitely wasn’t his.

Still⸺ “First of all, you shouldn’t challenge either of them to direct combat, because Mingyue won’t show you the same mercy twice. You should probably give it a bit more time, maybe wait a few years, and make only sparse visits. And if Little Yue explicitly tells you to go away, you should stay away, understood?”

Little Jun sullenly agreed, but not without muttering that it wasn’t like he could get in anyway – and Hongyan briefly considered telling him about his own escapades sneaking in and getting chased out by one Bai Yiling, but ultimately opted against it.

The old hag had since long ascended, but Hongyan still vividly remembered how she’d told him that she’d take his head and mount it upon her wall, should she find him anywhere near her disciple. And she would’ve likely made good on that promise as well, had she been able to catch him.

Hongyan had ultimately proven the victor of that whole dispute though, no matter the old lady’s efforts. And although he kind of wanted to brag about it, he found that he would rather not give his nephew any more foolish ideas for the time being. Instead, he opted to give him some actually useful advice.

“Think about it,” Hongyan said. “Little Yue is a medicinal cultivator. What would a medicinal cultivator want?”

“Rare herbs and potion ingredients,” Little Jun immediately said. “Oh, and spatial rings! He mentioned he’s been running out of space.”

“Well then,” Hongyan said, ruffling his hair. “There you have it. Don’t let Mingyue catch you.”

“I won’t!” Little Jun proclaimed, too distracted by his new mission to be annoyed by Hongyan messing up his hair.

Moments thereafter, the boy had already vanished off to who-knew-where, leaving Jiao Zilei effectively stranded with Hongyan.

“So,” Hongyan said, relishing in how the other immediately stiffened. “Nice weather we’ve been having, don’t you think?”

“I guess so,” Jiao Zilei said, making no comment on the massive blizzard going on outside – and that was for his own good, honestly.

“You know,” Hongyan said, directing a quite vicious smile the other’s way. “I don’t think I ever told you about the time travel.”

“Huh,” Jiao Zilei said, blinking twice before returning Hongyan’s smile with a significantly more disarming one of his own. “Makes sense.”

And with that said, Hongyan grabbed him by the lapels and promptly tossed him into a rift, depositing him somewhere off in the Borderlands.

Then, satisfied with the day’s hard work, Hongyan put on his winter coat and went outside to retrieve his mate.

 

3