Political Hostages by any other name
247 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I walk into my room, I see Sibylla standing I the middle of it. Her blue eyes matching her hair.  

“Your majesty, how are you doing?” She asks me. She doesn’t seem to have a worry in the world.  

“Everything is fine, can I ask how you are doing?” I respond. She still hasn't learned etiquette. When I entered the room, she continued sitting on the chair. Then again, the reason I picked her was because of her innocence.  

“I’m doing fine. There isn’t much to say. I spend most of my time talking.” She says. Hmm, she must be feeling bored. 

“Then I'd recommend finding a hobby.” 

“Yes, I've actually been doing some needlework myself.” She says. Well, at least she has a hobby. “I’m here, mostly to find out how your day has been.” 

“Ah, well it’s been mostly paperwork. I heard that there is a party tomorrow.” I continue. 

“Yes, I mean it is a party celebrating the anniversary. I am certain that most of the nobility will be attending the party.” 

“I forgot that it was tomorrow.” I really should pay more attention. Unfortunately, I'm so busy that the anniversary is like most other days. 

“You should enjoy yourself more. It’s not as if the empire will fall if you take a break one day.” She says pouting. Sadly, that very well may be the case. If the noble's rebel there could be a full-blown civil war. Especially if the Goldwell family instigates it. The trouble I have to go through to keep this empire running is astounding. I’ve heard of hedonistic kings and emperors, but I don’t know how they can keep their empire running without falling apart.  

“I do not have the luxury of relaxation. As one of the three great empire my every decision is of great consequence.” I drone on. It feels boring even to me. Then again it is very true. The empire is strife with separatism and nepotism. At least it is like Arria. The Arrian Empire is so corrupt it probably would have fallen apart if it didn’t have such an outstanding military. 

“I’d be bored if I was you.” 

“Well as they say, only boring people get bored.” I quip. 

“Who said that?” She asks curious. 

“A boring person.” He also loved to use that saying on me.  

“Well, that was very informative.” She says shaking her head. 

It wasn’t meant to be. I wave her away. I need some sleep. I’m running on 2 hours right now. I need another power nap or I'm going to fall apart. When she leaves, I head toward the couch. I lay down on the soft couch. As I drift to sleep, I think, who? 

...I don’t know how long I've been asleep. I feel like I just closed my eyes. The thing is the door just opened. I hear the steps walking. They are almost certainly heading toward the bed. I lift my head up and see a man dressed in servants garb closing in on the bed. It’d be normal if not for the knife he’s holding in his hand. I unsheathe my knife. I then throw it at my unsuspecting assassin. It lands cleanly into his back. He makes a yelp then falls down. 

Soon after the guards run into the room swords drawn. Much help they were. I walk up to the assassin and grab my knife. 

“Guards, take this body out of here... also get someone to clean up the mess.” I order. One of the guards walks off. The other one grabs the body and begins dragging it away. My body still feels sluggish. I really do need a day to relax. I’ll probably go to the office. On that note, who sent that assassin. In all likelihood it was the archduke of Tonsia. He would have the most to gain from my death.  Sadly, I cannot do anything to him. My death would leave the throne empty. I really do need to have an heir. At least my name would carry on. That’s quite a cold outlook to have.  


A/N: I should note that James is a very sarcastic character and probably not a reliable narrator. Also Sibylla will play an important role in this story. I should also mention unlike the Yanzhou harem the harem in Allonia is more for political uses and I will stress that this story is not a harem since I don't like many harem stories that I read. Also Allonian assassins are just terrible.

0