A concerning letter
74 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I see that the life change has been good to Leo. He happily welcomes me into his mansion. Setting us up into rooms as quickly as possible. Then him and I went into the center of any true Allonian house, the office. On that note I still have the better desk and chair. Actually, Elizabeth has the better desk and chair. When I return home, I will have the best desk and chair in the world. That will teach her to not mess with me. I won’t keep her company in that office anymore. 

“I take it you want me to join you.” He says sitting at his desk. 

“I see you still know everything going on in this empire.” 

“It wasn’t that hard.” He sighs. This however is a serious problem. Not only did he know that I was coming to visit. He also knew the purpose of my visit. Leo is good but not that good. He must have a spy inside my close group of followers. He really is the best spymaster in the world. 

“Can I ask who leaked the information to you?” I ask. I’d like to know who betrayed my confidence. 

“Here’s the letter. You can read it yourself.” 

Dear Leo, 

I have sent this letter to inform you that James the amazing and most powerful emperor in the world is gracing you with his presence. It would behoove you to prepare for his timely arrival. He will also request that you join him for the summit. You cannot refuse this request. As it was by the emperor's mercy that you gained your position. 

Yours Truly, J. E. Ash 

“He certainly has a way with words. I think you should listen to this astute fellow.” I say giving him a grin. I should also give the person who wrote this letter a raise. He seems like a loyal and hardworking person. 

“Yes, he also has a peculiar sense of humor that I could never figure out.” Leo insults me. I must say it was well played.  

“So, is there any reason you can’t join me.” 

“Other than being flooded by paperwork.” 

“No, that was only at most a quarter of the paperwork I have to deal with daily.” He gives me a long stare. 

“I pity you; this is why I'd never want to be the emperor.” He says shaking his head. It’s not like I had much of a choice. I was forced to run the empire even before father died. Then he went and got himself killed in Arria. The only good thing about the situation is that the Arrians were kind enough to send his body back without mutilating it. They didn’t even decapitate him. It was a respectful offering for the cease fire. Probably the only reason I'm considering this peace treaty. Other than the obvious benefits.  

“Yes, well an emperor cannot be human. Emotions are a weakness. Weakness can mean death.” Especially if you include the daily assassins. At this point I should put a slot of my time for assassin meetings. For some reason they always think that the best time is during the night. I don’t even want to talk about poison. I haven’t told the chef but ever since my taste tester was killed all my food has been stolen from the kitchen. 

“Anyway, I don’t think I can join you. You see I just learned that my wife is pregnant. I’d like to spend time with her and help her.” He says staring into my eyes. I can see why he is reluctant to leave. He was always the paranoid type. 

“I see, it’s a good thing that I brought Elizabeth. I will need her even more now.” I’ll have to change up my plans though. Arrians are notoriously misogynistic. I’m not saying the Allonian Empire is better but at least a female heir can inherent.  Though in all fairness it is easier for woman to find jobs in Arria. Actually, i don't think either is setting a high bar.

“Oh, yes, I put her in the same room as you.” Why did you do that? I am so screwed. He gives me a smile after seeing my face pale. 

“Can I ask for another room?” 

“Unfortunately, I no other available rooms.” Weird I saw at least half a dozen free rooms and I know they’re free. I’m pretty certain he is trying to set me up. The nerve of this guy. 

 

 

Shit! I fucking screwed up again. Elizabeth has been glaring at me all morning. She’s glaring at me! I got an emotion out of her! I made her mad... I shouldn’t have done that. Leo looks at us shaking his head. He sends us off as we head to our next destination, Anosilia. 


A/N: I only question when James will ever learn. Also what do you think of Leo's and James' relationship? Just a curiosity of mine. James is a tad bit weird and he revels in it while Leo is much more serious. On that note the House of Nobles voted James as emperor because they considered him a complete fop who would spend his time doing nothing. One notable exception is that Goldwell in fact voted against James becoming emperor.

0