The best conversationalist
68 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Life is good. When I came back, I didn’t see my city run by corruption. Everything is going well and I have brought back more money to invest in my infrastructure project. The power of an empire is its ability to tap into resources. If an empire can only tap into a small portion it is no better than a small kingdom.  

“Did you have a good trip?” Sibylla asks me. She is currently drinking tea on the couch. 

“Yes, I must say that I completed all my objectives.” I tell her. I look around the room. It’s a nice room but still quite modest. I then look at her dress. It seems to be a tad bit old as well. Where is all the money she’s getting going? I am very curious. 

“So, have you gotten closer to Elizabeth?” She asks. Her tone carefully even. 

“Why do you ask?” 

“You always come to me when something goes wrong.” She points out. That isn’t true. I haven't done anything stupid in a while. 

“Everything is going fine.” I look out the window at the city. Such a magnificent place. I believe it is the center of the world. Arria is a back water that will not follow into the next era quick enough. This is the time of the Allonian Empire. Our rise is secured. As the ages change so will the balance of power.  

“Your ignoring me again.” She says pouting. “What plan are you concocting right now?” 

“Nothing big. I’m just going to change everything.” 

“Can I ask how you shall accomplish this.” 

“Reforms of course. I’m very good at that.” I tell her. It’d be better not to tell her anything important. She’s just using me for her own good. 

“I see. I much prefer destroying things.” She says. 

“Scary thought, sometimes I wonder why I keep you around?” I ask myself. 

“Simple, my conversational skills are top notch.” She lies.  

“My history with you has determined that to be a lie.” 

“I’ve seen the people you spend your time with, I don’t have much competition.” She counters. I have to admit that is true. 

“At least we spend our days doing something useful, can I ask how you spend your days?” I give her a pointed look. 

“Nothing at all. Sometimes, however a thought comes to mind.” She leads me on. This is probably a trap. Almost certainly to insult me. There is one solution to such an obvious trap. 

“Pray tell, what is that thought?” I ask. 

“Maybe I should spend all the money I get for laying around all day.” She says. I must say I'm surprised. I wasn't insulted this time. I don’t know how to react. “Especially since I get paid by Elizabeth.” 

Hold on. The money comes from me. I should get some recognition for my achievements. I even defended your absurd income. Mostly to spite her but my point still stands. 

“I could cut your pay.” 

“If you do, I'll tell Elizabeth about how we met.” She says. The thing is I don’t see how that is threatening. “And how you wanted to get your precious cold wife jealous.” 

That there is a lie. Though her face when I brought Sibylla in was priceless. Her pouting face is too cute... Sometimes I am my own worst enemy. 


A/N: I have to be honest, I haven't been doing a lot of writing. Well, here is a chapter none the less. Also, i have only just realized how scary Sibylla truly is. Her family mottoes are the stuff of legends.

0