Path of the Blessed
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

???

War of the Fallen year ?

Wu's machine steadily marches toward our line as he spins those chains he wields about, forming an impenetrable barrier against any of our ranged attacks. I am torn between checking on Amanda who lies injured on the ground and keeping an eye on Wu, the first earth person I have seen since forever. A pair of Valkyries step forward and unload into Wu with their chain guns, wreathing him in an impressive aura of sparks but managing to achieve little else. 

"Our guns don't work on the intruder!" Nock yells over the coms, making herself heard over the fracas, "Rush him with your swords!"

Several Valkyries immediately blast off and dive down straight at Wu, seeking to carve him apart with a single, overwhelming assault. But Wu is as nonchalant as ever, steadily making his way toward the trucks and cars housing the refugees, not bothering to alter his course. 

"We got him now!" Nock cheers as the group of Valkyries lunge at Wu with what should be a finishing blow. 

The Valkyries slash straight into Wu, but the flails are as unyielding as ever. There is a huge crunching noise, of metal being torn apart and I realize with horror what is happening. The chains crash into the Valkyries and like an infernal threshing machine, begin to reduce them to scrap metal and bloody gristle. Wu's entire machine is splattered with blood and his feet crush the meaty debris littering the ground, the last remnant of the Valkyries that attempted to charge him. 

And there are no taunts, no exultations of triumph. Just the tramp of metal feet as Wu's machine inexorably makes its way forward. I break away from the front line and begin my search for Amanda. This is bad. I don't think all the Valkyries we have are going to make the slightest difference against Wu. 

Wu throws one of his arms forward and a set of the chains loop around a refugee truck. As the chains coil around the vehicle like constricting snakes, Wu pulls upward, lifting the entire truck clean off the ground. He then swings the chains about like a lasso, sending the truck smashing into the Valkyries firing on him from above. The makeshift morning star sends most of the Valkyries crashing back to earth, with the remainder flying higher into the sky to escape this attack. The refugees in the truck scream in terror and a few of them tumble out of the vehicle to fall to their deaths. 

"Impossible. That's impossible." Nock mutters to herself as she falls back as well, coming to a stop at my side, "How can he manage to do any of that?"

"We need to retreat." I urge quietly over the coms while helping Amanda's battered machine back to its feet, "There's nothing we can do against Wu."

"I can fight him." Amanda gasps as she collects herself, "We need to stay the course. This path is the only safe way through the Fallen spawning everywhere."

Before either Nock or myself can reply, Wu slams the makeshift morning star down like a hammer on one of the other trucks, causing both vehicles to explode in an enormous ball of fire. The chains then withdraw from the burning wreckage and slash to the side, cutting apart the Valkyries that were trying to flank him. 

"We're hitting from the sky and the rear!" Nock snaps in frustration, "And nothing can get through those blasted chains! How?"

"He's moving too fast." I observe, "Wu can change the direction he faces before we even notice."

"I'm going in." Amanda says, her mind made up, "Everyone push through while I keep Wu occupied."

"No." I disapprove, noticing the line of blood flowing from the furrow Wu had lashed across Amanda's machine, "Wu will kill you. Your bulwark won't be able to withstand more than a few blows from him."

"Have faith." Amanda responds, but I can hear the tremor in her voice, "I'm the seven, no, six times blessed. If there's anyone who can handle this opponent, its me."

"Guys." Nock squawks urgently over the com, "I'm getting a signal from up ahead. Fresh Auxila reinforcements heading our way. The civilians we left behind at the camp are already racing to link up with them."

"That's the ticket." I agree, "We force the column through. With the help of the reinforcing Auxila, we should have enough numbers to hold Wu off until we get to safety."

Just as Nock and I are about to give the required orders to our troopers, Amanda cuts in again, her tone deadly serious. 

"Nock, I need you to take the Saint with you." Amanda instructs, "Take her from the truck and make a dash for the concrete desert."

"What!" Nock and I shout simultaneously, equal parts bewildered and outraged. In the background we hear Wu tearing apart another set of Valkyries who desperately tried to force him away from the refugees. 

"I am not abandoning my daughter!" I shout at Amanda furiously. 

"Its the best way to handle this." Amanda insists, "I will engage this Wu and while he's distracted, Nock will slip away with the Saint in the opposite direction. By the time Wu focuses back on the convoy, Nock and the Saint will be long gone."

"But -" I begin to protest but Amanda is not done talking yet. 

"I'll need you to stay here with me." she says, "I might require your strength against Wu."

"There's a problem with your plan, leader." Nock jeers, "I'm sure as hell not going to leave my own daughter behind."

"Sara. I remember." Amanda agrees, "We will keep her safe. I promise."

An earsplitting scream of a woman dying in agony somewhere in the background. The fighting's getting closer. We are running out of time. 

"You can't even keep your own daughter safe." Nock dismisses as she turns her attention back to the battle, "We're staying. All of us. No one is going to be abandoning this ship."

"I swear it." Amanda says, her voice taking on an imperious, commanding tone, "On the names of the six that still stand, I swear it. Sara will be safe with us."

"Huh." Nock mutters, sensing the change in atmosphere. Even I, a foreigner to this world, can feel it. Amanda is not just speaking for herself. This is a sacred oath, given force by the divines themselves. 

"The lives of the entire convoy." Amanda continues, the power in her voice growing, "If need be, they will die so that Sara can live. But the convoy cannot, must not, stray from the path set by Iros."

"This is your solemn word, as the six times blessed?" Nock asks for confirmation, her determination wavering. 

"Keep our daughter safe, and Sara will be safe as well." Amanda affirms, "This is my promise as the six times blessed." 

I shut my eyes, blocking out the sights and sounds of the world. I hope this is the right thing to do, I really do. To trade away so many lives for the sake of two daughters is a terrible, callous thing. But Amanda is the six times blessed. As the chosen instrument of the Divines, her word is law in this world, literally. Much like the Elect on earth, reality itself will defer to Amanda, if she desires it badly enough. Nock remains silent before turning around and heading toward one of the trucks. 

"So be it." Nock says with grim finality, aware of what this pact entails. Sara would have a guarantee of survival at the expense of everyone else here. Nock just needed to do her part. 

"One more thing." Nock suddenly says, "If I do not return from the concrete desert, promise to take care of Sara. Can you do that?"

"Yes." Amanda answers plainly, "Sara will want for nothing. I will see to it."

"Good." and with that said, Nock darts toward the convoy, disappearing in between the trucks. 

"That's sorted at least." I sigh in relief, turning back to the carnage of the battle. By now Wu is surrounded by the metal carcasses of several Valkyries, his chains lashing out like a metal hydra striking down anyone who dares approach. Fresh blood seeps into the ground remorselessly, illuminated by the guttering flames coming from the wrecked bulwarks scattered about.

"Yes." Amanda groans tiredly, "Iros's influence is strong, as long as we keep the fighting confined to the path of the north star. My will can be made manifest if this condition is met."

"Then why don't you just get rid of Wu?" I ask, "Use your full power on him?"

"Not possible." Amanda rebuts, "Wu is not exactly like you, my love. He wields the power of the divines as well. When he struck me just now, I sensed it. Wu can impose his will on this world the same way I can. That's why I need to be the one to fight him." 

"I see." I grunt unhappily, realizing that Amanda planned to carry this burden all by herself, "Then what do you need me around for?"

"I will battle Wu with the Valkyries." Amanda explains, "My love, I need you to take the remaining Auxila and lead the convoy to meet the reinforcements. With luck, their lives won't be needed for us to see this night through."

"I understand." I muse, understanding that the more lives Amanda has at hand to barter, the easier it is for her to enforce the desired outcome. Life, or rather the souls that underpin it, are the currency of this world.

"Get going then." Amanda encourages gently, "We will meet each other again. I promise."

And with that said, Amanda rushes into battle, her claymore clashing furiously with Wu's chains. There's a nasty ripping sound, but for the first time, the chains fail to chew through its target. Wu stands stunned for a second before breaking the clinch and hurriedly taking off into the sky to avoid Amanda. 

"Go get him." I wish Amanda from my heart. With luck the worst might just not happen tonight. 

No longer menaced by Wu, the trucks and Auxila form up on my signal and we once more begin our trek, following the north star. 

To wherever it might lead us. 

1