Chapter 1
388 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hidden inside a small alley in the center of the town, stood a bar with its distinct neon blue sign above its door. The bar was lit by a dim warm light with slow music playing in the back. All the people inside talked loud enough only to be heard by the person next to them. Some people came in a group, some people wanted to be left alone.

At the counter, a black-haired bartender was chatting with his regular customers with a smile while wiping the glasses. Just like the others, his voice was soft and low so as to only be heard by those at the counter.

"I swear if I there is a woman who doesn't fall for my brother in first sight I will marry her immediately!" a man sobbed.

"Hahaha, good luck with that. You and your brother's specs are as different as heaven and earth." His companion joked.

The man looked up at the bartender pitifully, "I don't care anymore. At least I have Xiao Ming to comfort my broken heart."

"Mr. Feng, everybody is destined to have a partner in this world," Ming Chen smiled, "Even if every woman falls for your brother, there will be at least one who can break the spell and look your way."

"Or look the other way. There are too many people with higher quality than you." His companion added with a laugh.

"Damn you, Yong Heng. I shouldn't have invited you." Feng Huoran glared at his friend.

"I'll still come anyway for the snacks." Yong Heng stuck out his tongue and ate a peanut from the small bowl.

 A customer at the counter called Ming Chen and asked for a new drink. Ming Chen poured his order into a new glass and gave it to him.

"Xiao Ming, the annual costume week is next week, right?" the customer asked.

"Yes, Mr. Wei. Are you going to join the event as usual?"

Wei Linzhen sighed, "I have to go abroad for work the day after tomorrow. Even though I always attend costume weeks every year."

"Mr. Wei, you're not going to be here next week?" Yong Heng chimed in.

"No, but I want to."

"That's a pity. I got a tip from Xiao Lan that the theme is going to be…" Yong Heng stretched out his words before grinning. He gestured for Mr. Wei to come closer.

"Now I'm curious." Wei Linzhen changed his seat beside Yong Heng.

Yong Heng whispered it to him. He looked up at Ming Chen, "Really?"

Ming Chen walked to their side, "It's because many regulars requested it in last year's poll."

He shifted his eyes at a waitress bringing an order to a table. Soon after, she tripped over her own ankle and her body tilted forward. Ming Chen's fingers behind the counter moved. At the same time, the waitress's body regained its balance and the drinks on the metal tray were saved.

The waitress sighed in relief and delivered her order.

Ming Chen continued chatting with his 3 customers as if nothing happened.

At 4 AM, the bar closed after sending away their last customer. Ming Chen changed his clothes and bid his colleagues farewell. He went to a convenience store to buy his breakfast. Coming out from the store, he saw his colleague, the waitress that almost tripped, at the road across him.

He walked slightly behind her, but his pace matched hers. After making sure she arrived at her apartment safely, he went home.

In his apartment, a man was sleeping on the couch with snacks all over the place. Ming Chen sighed and cleaned them up. The man didn't wake up from all the movement around him.

After turning off the television and finishing his convenience store meal, Ming Chen went to take a bath before going to sleep.

A few hours later, he was awakened by the ruckus in the living room.

"Oh no, I'm going to be late!" The youth hurriedly took a slice of bread and opened Ming Chen's room, "Chen Ge, I'm going! Bye!"

"Mn." Ming Chen shortly replied.

The youth closed the door. There was a sound of the front door opening and closing before the apartment became calm again.

Ming Chen went back to sleep.

Nearing noon, somebody woke him up. This time, it was the man who slept on the couch.

"Hey, wake up, lunch is ready."

Ming Chen could smell the food from the living room. He walked out as he yawned before speaking, "Ren, I told you to not open several bags of chips at once, didn't I? If I didn't clean up the mess every time, you'll be sleeping with cockroaches by now."

They sat down on the couch. Yu Renjia turned on the television, "Can't help it. When I'm eating this I suddenly crave that."

"Then, I'll buy the small-sized one for you starting now." Ming Chen picked up the plate from the table and started eating.

Yu Renjia also ate his food, "There's no trouble yesterday?"

"No, all good. Don't talk with food in your mouth."

They finished their lunch. Ming Chen washed the dishes while Yu Renjia cut an apple for them at the kitchen counter.

"It'll start next week, right?"

"Yes."

"We're going to do it as usual?" Yu Renjia took a piece into his mouth before giving one to Ming Chen.

Ming Chen's hands were full of bubbles, so he took it directly to his mouth. He spoke after swallowing it, "We'll adapt to the situation at hand."

They spent the day doing their own things. Nearing 3 PM, Yu Renjia changed his clothes and left with his helmet in hand. An hour after his leave, the youth returned.

"Welcome back, Rui."

"I'm home, Chen Ge. Nothing happened today as well." Wen Rui dropped his bag and slumped to the couch.

"That's good."

Wen Rui sighed, "Our relaxing life will be gone next week."

"It'll be over in 5 years or so." Ming Chen comforted him.

"But our work still continues after that."

When the sky has darkened, it was Ming Chen's time to leave. He arrived at the alley and saw Yu Renjia sitting on his motorbike. Yu Renjia noticed him a distance away from the alley. He started his motorbike and drove away.

Ming Chen changed his clothes and went to the counter as usual. He split a portion of his attention to the same waitress as yesterday without directly looking at her.

Every world that exists has a core inside that became its pillar. The world revolved around its pillar to keep its balance and maintain its existence. Some worlds used inanimate things as its pillar, and some used living beings. Humans who became the pillar of the world awere what are currently known as protagonists.

The protagonists in the world would carry with them the blood of pillars. One of their descendants would become the pillar of the world after the previous one died. They were different from inanimate pillars that have an expiration date. The cycle would continue as long as the protagonists created a new life. Because of this, most of the world chose living beings as their pillars.

To make sure this cycle continued, they needed to make sure these protagonists ended up with their destined partner, or else they wouldn't be able to create a new protagonist strong enough to be a pillar or a descendant at all.

Unlike those in the novels, the worlds didn't have any fixed fate or 'plot' for these protagonists except for the limit of their life. Mishaps and accidents could happen in their life that could end their life without leaving any descendants. The inanimate pillars could also be destroyed intentionally or not. If such a thing happened, the world would collapse instantly after their death or destruction.

Thus, to protect the life of these pillars, whether it was living beings or not, heaven's council created the guardians. These guardians were tasked to make sure the pillars existed until their expiration date. The age limit for living beings and the last drop of energy for inanimate objects.

This was especially so for living beings. After the previous protagonist died and one of their descendants formally took over, for at least 5 years, they would need to face trials and tribulations to consolidate their soul to be strong enough to carry the world. This was the period they were prone to death the most.

Not only did their guardians need to protect them, they must also delivered them safely to their destined partner. But they weren't allowed to directly enter the protagonist's life or even let them know of their existence. One of the reasons was because they would keep protecting their descendants. If their immortality was exposed, they would immediately be disposed of.

The waitress Ming Chen was paying attention to was called Bai Hua. Next week was her grandfather's age limit. She would formally be a pillar and they were her guardians.

15