Chapter 14
133 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Her pink dress was changed into a simple white shirt and jeans with her hair tied to a ponytail. She brought a guitar with her and sat down on a high stool. Her hand gently strum the strings and the studio became quiet.

She opened her mouth and a soft melodious voice poured out along with the guitar accompaniment. She sang a ballad about family without any music and only with her guitar.

It was different than her initial plan to sing a bittersweet love song that could highlight her vocal range. This song focused more on the sentiment and tone to deliver the message in it to whoever was listening. Even those with bad vocal skills could sing this and move people if they were sad enough thanks to the lyrics.

But in reality, only the original singer could sing the song correctly. Everybody who covered it all simplified the notes because of how complex the tune was. There were many ups and downs in unexpected places, picturing the emotional ride the composer of the song was having while creating it.

And the original singer was Shen Yuanjun.

Ming Chen watched Bai Hua 'bewitching' the audience inside. Many have already teared up including the crew, contestants, and judges. Heaven blessed this pillar in her voice. He did think she has a good voice when she sang once in a while in the past. But after she formally stepped up as a pillar, her voice was as enchanting as a siren.

It resonated into the soul.

He glanced up. Wen Rui told him that the man cut off something up there. Because of that, Ming Chen was holding every piece of equipment above with his psychokinesis since they didn't know exactly how many, and which ropes that man cut. And because he was directly there, he didn't get any visions about it.

There was another person in the room who wasn't moved by Bai Hua's voice aside from the three guardians.

Michelle listened to Bai Hua and watched the people around him tearing up. There was even a faint sobbing from somewhere. He assessed Bai Hua's voice and indeed would probably admire it before this.

But after the mysterious voice haunted his dreams and mind, he felt too much emotion from it to be moved by another.

He glanced at the man next to him.

Except for one, apparently.

The song ended and after a few seconds of silence, thunderous claps filled the studio. Bai Hua's advance was set in stone.

Half of the contestants were eliminated. Lin Xia barely managed to reach the semifinals thanks to her song choice and her skill's improvement.

Ming Chen walked out together with Michelle. Just as they left, loud crashing noise was heard from inside the studio. People curiously turned around to look and were shocked to see the lights above the stage has fallen down.

Ming Chen received several messages.

[Rui: Is Lin Xia actually insane? Fortunately, Chen Ge held them up. Bai Hua could die from this. A few broken bones at the very least]

[Ren: I don't think she knows exactly what it meant to kill someone]

[Ren: Now that I think about it, those thugs could be sent to kidnap or kill her rather than just to intimidate her]

[Chen: It's not impossible]

[Chen: Ren, keep an eye on Shen Yuanjun. Potential or real love interest other than the destined one often screams trouble]

[Ren: Ok. Are you going back now or are you going to wait for me?]

"Would you like to accompany me for dinner?"

Ming Chen heard Michelle asking and looked up from his phone. The sky outside has already darkened, and he was indeed very hungry.

"I still have the gifts you left a few days ago. The cake was already not that fresh though." Michelle added.

Ming Chen thought for a while. He texted in the group chat.

[Chen: …Michelle asked me out for dinner]

[Ren: That bastard's here?]

[Ren: Don't. And since when are you on a first-name basis with him?]

[Rui: I think it's fine if Chen Ge wants to eat out]

[Ren: That's not the issue here]

[Rui: But Langley helped Chen Ge when he collapsed and brought him to the hospital. I don't think he meant any harm]

[Ren: Don't consider him as a normal person and it was because of him Chen collapsed. You saw his record]

[Ren: Did you forget the reason you quit your job in the first place?]

Ming Chen watched them debating and finally decided.

[Chen: I also want to take the farewell gifts I got from my colleagues. I'll tell you guys when I get back]

Ming Chen nodded at Michelle and put away his phone, "Okay, let's go."

"Your housemate?"

"He becomes a bit protective after I collapsed a few days ago."

Then, Ming Chen suggested, "Why don't I treat you, Michelle? As thanks for taking me to the hospital and keeping the gifts. My housemate won't be that upset if we go to a familiar place to him."

Michelle raised his eyebrows and agreed.

They entered Michelle's car and Ming Chen told the name of the restaurant. The driver input it into the GPS before driving there.

The building of the restaurant has an antique design similar to those in historical movies. The wall has been repainted for who knows how many times and the building itself has been renovated several times to strengthen it without changing any of its design. When they entered the front wooden door, they were immediately greeted by a waitress at the counter.

Ming Chen said something to her. She looked slightly surprised. She called someone before leading them to their table.

The waitress led them down a long path, away from the crowds, not stopping even when the surroundings became quiet. She brought them to a door carved with flowing clouds and opened it for them.

"Your food will be served shortly, Mr. Ming." She politely prompted.

"Do you still have the Wine for Rainy Days?" Ming Chen asked.

The waitress was surprised for the second time, "That…apologies, I will need to confirm it with the manager first."

"It's alright." Ming Chen calmed her down with a smile.

Michelle entered with Ming Chen. The room has cream-colored walls with scroll paintings hung all around. There were several pillars embellished with ancient carvings made from gold. The ceiling above them wasn't high with slanted architecture as if it was a wooden roof above them. The floor was made out of polished woods and there was one low table in the center with two wooden floor chairs padded with cushions covered in silk.

Ming Chen sat down on a chair and Michelle on the other.

"This place is called the Flowing Clouds Pavilion. When it was first built, it didn't have any walls. From this small area, it expanded gradually into the building it is now. Instead, of making branches, the family owning this place focused more on expanding its size. It's because they want to preserve this pavilion."

"You don't often come here?"

"No, only once in a while. I usually came here with both of my housemates. This room is especially for two people, so we ate in the common area."

Ming Chen remembered the last person he brought here to eat. It was when Bai Hua's grandfather hasn't become a pillar yet.

He met a lost traveler on the street. His suitcase was robbed along with his wallet inside. His crying face was too pitiful to look at because his body was big and tall. People looked at him strangely as they walked past by. Ming Chen couldn't stand it anymore and asked him what's wrong.

The traveler bawled to him in grief. He finally took him to Flowing Cloud Pavilion to get something to eat while calming himself down. The traveler poured out everything that happened to him since he arrived in the city after a jar of Wine for Rainy Days.

In the end, that traveler stayed in their place. With Wen Rui's help, they found the man's suitcase and wallet. Although he lost some stuff and money, at least his ID and important documents were still there. One of them was the number and address of the place he should be going to.

The most surprising thing of all was the fact he was actually a doctor.

He would come by from time to time to hang out and whine to them, specifically to Ming Chen until it was time for them to leave to another place before anyone noticed they weren't aging.

To be honest, there were times he missed that guy when they moved. Yu Renjia and Wen Rui would also mention him from time to time, so they messaged him through letters to know how he was doing. After all, he was quite a worrisome fellow.

All the way until they received his last letter before his death.

10