Chapter 18: The last grape
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Andrew

"Are you going to keep ignoring me?" Andrew said in a drawn-out tone. They were in a tavern now, a small out-of-the-way thing that laid on the outskirts of Zannidue. There was a lazy bustle to the place, with a few traveling knights at the bulletin board mulling over their next job or reading the latest news article. A young serving-man shined and sprayed a single table, wiping the thing in a droning circular motion repeatedly since he’d gotten here. As customers glanced over their half-drunken beverage as if they could find deep answers within its depths. Besides a group of four men talking in hushed tones among themselves (tradesmen Andrew wagered going by their more fashionable clothing and the odd bits he gathered) everyone else remained relatively silent. He and Natalie had already refilled their water skins and basic rations just before getting here.

Between then and now Andrew’s been trying to get Natalie’s take on the rough idea he’d mentioned outside. He knew it was stupid, and he gathered Natalie’s thoughts that she deliberately ignored him, but they could not begin brainstorming how to find and take down the seven stars of halo unless they addressed what they can or cannot do. What better way to start that conversation than by talking about the outright impossible. He’d explained this several times at some point but all Natalie did was continue looking at his map. Stropping her head on the table he gave both the map and her the evils.

Maybe I should ask for it back. Sighing to himself Andrew forced his glare off of Natalie, it was not like she was watching anyways. And it was not like she ignored him solely for the sake of being annoying. There was a deep concentration in her eyes as it ran along the map, at first Andrew thought that her finger skimmed random places until he noticed that it constantly hovered over three locations. Agony Ferris, Altera, and Amadan Corrence. All three places are at least a hundred miles from one another. There was no real connection to them as far as Andrew was aware except for the fact that they all began with the letter ‘A’. Odder yet was her wording something out to herself only to frown or shake her head before repeating the cycle. Had she really been doing this repeatedly since she took the map? Andrew shrugged. He must be looking at this all wrong, that seemed way too simplistic. Whatever she was looking for Andrew was sure that he was seeing it from the wrong angle.

The creak of dry wood flooring sounded as the young serving-man finally moved off the tables he had been cleaning this whole time to sort out another. Andrew was not really sure what Natalie was trying to figure out but he knew that whatever it was must be related to the Seven Stars of Halo. There was a brewing sense of worry about her, one she tried to keep a tight lid on whenever she looked at him. After the stuff they witnessed that man do he understood her worry. He was not fairing any better. Having flashes of just how powerless he was against Epimetheus left him feeling like a failure. This was not the first time he’d suffered a loss that could have cost him his life. He and Natalie had certainly had dark days before and although they left a heavy mark on him at the time they’d become something that he’d learned to deal with overtime. This loss however was different. It was hard to put into words. But every time he woke up since that day the powerlessness from that day embedded itself deeper into his soul that bit more. Like he was living the failure over and over. And yet he could not remember and of it. It felt so backward, the nightmares had something to do with it he was sure but until he could recall them it just served to stress him further. It was only now that the thought of what was happening to him began to really sink in. If this feeling increased every night without memory of what it was that he dreamed then what was to become of his mental state? How will he be able to protect Natalie? as stupid as it sounds it was where the army idea came from. No matter how you sliced it they bit off more than they could chew and needed back up.

"Can you at least tell me why you don't want to give an answer to my idea?" he as he glared dejectedly to the opposite end of the bar table. He expected more silent treatment so it came to him as a surprise when Natalie did answer.

"I was hoping to the cycles that you were somehow joking. But considering that you still going on about it I’m beginning to think that you were serious." She looked at him now, finger still on the map, her face a serious study of his own. Andrew just narrowed his eyes.

"Could have explained yourself sooner." he snorted.

"Look around you, Andrew. What makes you think that anybody would want to follow us?" Andrew held his tongue to that, as frustrating as it was she was right.

"Bartender, two shots of the strongest stuff you have, please. Think I'm going to need it." Andrew scarcely said whilst giving Natalie a cheeky grin. She just shook her head at his stupid joke before looking back at the map. Her finger was hovering over a different location now, a fourth one. Houen Harbor?

There goes my theory about ‘A’s’, in truth, a part of him was relieved, a location that is not narrowed down solely on ‘A’ meant that his mother should be safe. A great stab of guilt came at that thought. Pushing that aside he looked up in time to see Natalie sigh to herself as she continued.

"You know what I mean Andrew." She said calmly. “I’ve no intention of teaming up with anybody not with how that went last time, honestly to even think that I’d agree to hire anyone after-”

"-I know alright cycles please! Forget I said anything,” Andrew said putting a hand on his ear. Natalie’s mouth clicked shut at his words. Her eyes held him for a moment longer as if he was the one that brought up that subject. “And I was being serious when I spoke about hiring an army,” Natalie just shook her head.

“That might be more stupid than hiring a hunter or two,” she mumbled.

”Yeah well blowing steam out my ass does not change the fact that I was being serious. I mean can a guy dream?" With Natalie saying nothing to that Andrew grones as he rests his chin on his arms and ponders. "We almost got killed by the guy and there are seven like him hiding under some godforsaken rock. They’ll likely have a Nova or whatever of their own, and those things will be controlled by one of the pilots. So it’s the seven, who owns seven, that are controlled by seven. You think that there’s a meaning behind all that?" he looked up to see her reaction.

"Could be overthinking this..." Natalie said. She seemed to be looking through the map now. Her eyes deepened with concern. As if capturing a bit of her concern an icy pit open up in the center of his gut. All of a sudden he felt restless, like a great looming stormcloud that’s failed to drop its burden of rain, the passing days stretching the anticipation. The great unknown tempest looming with no end in sight.

"Maybe. I don't know anymore, I just have this bad feeling." He whispered to himself. Andrew was so engrossed in his self-doubt that he’d hardly realized that he’d placed a hand over his chest until Natalie to his surprise replied to him.

"I should be afraid but truth be told, even after everything I’ve seen and heard. I’m not worried," She looked at him with an uncertain flash of a smile, as if he was working out her own feelings herself. “I don’t know what I’m saying.” There was an odd mix of unease and assurance in her eye just then, she was like true calm before the storm. And although much about them had changed Andrew could not help but remember Natalie and he use to play out in the open field of Null, she a glowing beacon of warmth and assurance, and he a less certain but determined Piller like cold steel. Together they worked to make each other’s dreams come true. Nothing quite felt impossible when Natalie was with him. In a funny way, nothing had changed. That made Andrew feel melancholy.

"Since when did you start caring about what was right?" he asked. “You’ve been backward since the day I met you.”

Natalie with her mouth half-open gave Andrew a flat look before cutting her eyes to look back at the map.

"I'm ignoring you now," Natalie mumbled to herself.

"Like that means anything, you’ve been ignoring me all day anyway," he said with a roll of his eye.

"Can you keep it quiet? Some of us are trying to think back here!" A grumpy bald man snapped behind them. He was one of the four merchants that sat at a table just behind them Andrew realized. His face looked flushed, sitting posture just a tad unpoised. If he did not know any better Andrew thought that the guy was drunk. His peers looked less tipsy but not by much. Beyond that Andrew could not help but feel that he did not partake in ponderous thinking.

"’ Think’? I would advise against doing too much of that," Andrew said.

"And just that are you saying?" the man said in a gruff tone. His band of four friends locked eyes with his, their faces asking the same question.

"If you're going to fight then take it outside! I will not have you making a mess out of my establishment." The bartender ordered dryly. He was polishing glass cups for a while now which got him thinking of the serving-man over cleaning the tables.

"Guess I can do some outdoor clean-up," Andrew nodded to him.

Natalie looking over at him from the corner of her eye shook her head. Andrew nodded, he was joking to an extent. He will not pick a fight even if a small part of him wanted it to happen if only to dispel this growing feeling of dread that has been building since his encounter with Epimetheus.

"But before we do this, I take it that you are not hunters or anything like that right? Do you see the sword on my back? Maybe you want to take a moment to think about what you are asking for a little more carefully. Mind is running slowly because of the drink? Don't worry, I'll give you all the time you’ll need."

The man’s eyes narrowed to his words, moments later, however, they widened in silent shock.

"You’re the two who crossed the desert about a week ago. The ones who caused a stir in the Nuzi tribe and brought order back to Lucas. The Dark Angel and protector," He said slowly.

So the news had reached ahead of us. Andrew seeing the penny dropped smiled whilst nodding his head.

"And between me and her, she's the scary one." He said as he pointed his thumb to Natalie. Natalie was glared evils at him from the corner of her eye but said nothing.

After a long silence, the man mumbled something under his breath before sitting back down to talk to his peers. Although he went on as if they were not worth his time Andrew noticed the effort he made to avoid looking at him. Snorting himself, Andrew leaned his elbows back on the bar table in amusement.

"And what would you have done had that not worked?" Natalie whispered none-plused. Andrew shrugged.

"I was bored anyway, would not have minded stepping outside if it came to that," he said chipperly. Natalie just shook her head to herself.

"Well don’t drag my name into it, you already know that I don’t like that name as is so why give it weight?" she said between clenched teeth.

“As if a tavern fight will make you more infamous, but fine. I think I get it,” Andrew said.

“No Andrew you don’t get it! You’re not taking me seriously,” she hissed.

“But I do get it, honest.” that confession gave Natalie pause as she glanced at him in silence as if prodding him to go on. Looking up to the spinning ceiling fan Andrew did. “You don’t like the name because you don’t want to stand out, and it’s liked to stuff you’d rather forget.”

Frowning Natalie looked back at the map troubled.

“Just wish I could do things over again and change it,” she mumbled. Andrew nodded.

“Sometimes wish I could change mine to something related to my love of grape soda. Like I want to be able to walk into a bar, nod my head to the bartender and have him just slide a can into my outstretched hand without saying a word no matter where I am. Now that would be cool.” he said, which got Natalie to slap her hand on top of the map and stropped her head in frustration. Looking back up at him in a flash with eyes wide and gleaming she looked to be on the verge of shouting but with mouth open and nothing coming out she collected herself, took in a deep breath, and deliberately looked away instead.

“I know what you’re trying to do, and I appreciate it, but again your not taking me seriously and we can’t afford that right now.” she began in a low and controlled tone. “That bastard Epimetheus is still out there likely leaving another trail for us to-” Andrew never found out what trail Epimetheus was leaving for them because Natalie instantly paused, looked as if she was reliving unpleasant memories before she changed the subject. “Those kids I saw being taken away are still out there, and now we likely have representatives from Hallow Peak trying to reach us.”

Andrew was about to again remind her how big a lier Zac was until two people entered through the tavern door. He still wanted to say as much but the longer he looked at them the harder it was to get the words out of his mouth. And it was not just he who stopped. The low murmurs fell to complete silence. The other patrons looked up from their drinks for the first time since coming here. Even the serving-man who was still wiping his second table stopped what he was doing to straighten up and give an apprehensive bow at the newcomers.

Andrew knew of hunters whose names and feats were whispered in awe and reverence among the common folk. Groups like the Silver Claw for their infamous terrorist attacks against the golden dragon’s empire to Grim Reapers, Frankenstein, who’s their dark dealings in death have made them the next tale you tell kids who misbehave. Depending on what circle they found themselves in such a hunter could earn themselves a bow in respect with just the weight of their title alone. In other cases, it’s where they’d come from. Ten-Xin was renowned for having some of the diverse lineups of strong hunters. In this case, Andrew was certain that it was the latter that made the serving-man act as he did. Because although Andrew had never seen a western manipulator before he could tell by their striking clothes and demeanor, their strange features, and the way they held themselves. As Andrew’s eye met the young woman’s gaze as it scanned the room, he knew.

Trying to hide his shock he carefully turned his stool back around to face the bar table. Natalie was the only one who did not turn and see the two enter and so was still voicing her list of complaints until Andrew nudged her with an elbow. With a finger to his lips, Natalie turned to him in bafflement. He gave a subtle nod behind them as an answer, the floor panel creek from approaching footfalls. Natalie’s eyes widened as she followed them. She understood. Carefully Andrew leaned past Natalie to catch a glimpse of them. They’d taken a seat on the stools at the other end of the bar as they were immediately approached by the owner. Natalie visibly panicked glanced into his eyes intensely as if she could see the newcomer through their reflection. Feeling self-conscious by the act Andrew recoiled a little.

“What are they doing now, what do they look like? I didn’t get to see their features too good,” Natalie hissed. The woman had long brunet hair that rested over one shoulder, He could just make out a blue hairband from this angle that made a good contrast with her deep blue eyes. Her eyes also matched well with her long flowing coat of white with blue, a deep blue phoenix imprinted on the back marked her as one of the members of the western temple he knew. A long white staff with a large smooth crystal on its end sat beside her. There was a mature and dignified air about her but that was only somewhat dimmed as she gave a warm friendly smile in response to what the owner had said.

Stranger yet was the man beside her. He was of a large build, firm, with flowing silver hair that reached down to his chin in long waves, he had silver eyes as pale as a misty reflection. Along one side of his face was a great long scar, it ran down one eye and ended by his chin. His jaw was set in all lines and angles as he regarded the owner silently. The color of his clothing was a lot like the woman’s with the mark of the blue phoenix imprinted along its back but his clothing had a more worn and practical use to them. For one, instead of a long coat like his companion, he wore a kind of cape that seemed easy to clip off when the time was needed. In terms of presence to another, they were like a polar bear to a snow leopard, they complimented each other and yet seemed completely at home in their contrast.

“If it’s them then they don’t seem to know of us,” Andrew whispered. That’s when Natalie timidly dared a glance behind her before breathing a curse under her breath and hid her face behind her arm as she looked at the map. Looking up at him she chastised Andrew for still staring before ordering him to act natural.

‘Act natural’? Andrew watched with a blank expression as Natalie continued to hide her face to make it look like she was just holding her head upon the table in a sloppy fashion. Grinding his teeth Andrew gave one last defiant look at the two (they were too busy talking to the owner to see anyways.) before he leaned in to whisper to Natalie.

“Then get me that drink you promised me, been sitting here this whole time and had not ordered anything,” Andrew whispered. Natalie looked incredulous so Andrew prodded. “You want us to look natural, don’t you?” He expected a glare back, a silent accusation of him trying to take advantage of the situation to get what he wanted but all she did was nod to herself. She was too lost in her own thoughts to act as normal she demanded. She was way too flustered. Sure the arrival of such renowned people was rare and knowing that they are looking for them is unnerving but it was not like they were a bunch of weak nobodies. They’ve had their fair share of challenges at a younger age than perhaps most places if Nulls repetition for training them young holds. They… or rather Natalie should not be stunned as she was. Perhaps part of it was to do with her own admiration of the manipulators of the west. As the owner finished serving the man and woman Natalie called the ower over to make an order. Thankfully she had enough of a grip on herself to do that naturally. Nodding to himself Andrew dared another glance at the newcomers and noticed that the man had a can of his favorite drink next to him, he couldn’t help but nod in approval. He had a good taste at least, now if only he could get his one then he’ll-

“-I just sold the last can of grape soda, can I get you anything else?” the owner said matter of factly. He was back to polishing his cups.

"Come again?" he said in dismay.

"You heard right. Been running low on soft drinks lately, shipment from Sithson has been slow coming, it’s gotten the merchants frisky. I’m considering striking off of the list if it gets any worse." He said looking at the group of four grumbling to himself as he shook. He then looked at him and Natalie both questionably. “So why haven’t you made your order before now? You’ve been here long before them.”

Natalie tried covering the smirk she had on her face but Andrew caught it in the corner of his eye. Not give her the time of day however he instead glanced back over to the other end of the table with slight envy. The still unopened can of grape soda teased him with its presence.

“It doesn’t make any sense,” Natalie said in a low whisper. “If they are the ones Zac spoke of then how come they don’t seem to recognize us?”

“I don’t know,” He mumbled. He was really looking forward to drinking one after a long time. No matter where he was drinking a can of grape soda made him feel like he was back at home. And now seeing the last can sitting there across the table as if taunting him made every other thing around him fade away. Natalie was saying something else but he did not catch much of it. He hardly noticed that he was walking toward the two westerners until he felt Natalie’s hand try and fail to pull him back by his arm. It was just him, the bar table, and the drink. If he could just come to an agreement with the guy then...

"Excuse me," Andrew said, he was standing right by the silver-haired man now. His great build towered over him. His phantom-like eyes regarded him with an unreadable expression. With his arms under his cloak, Andrew found it hard to tell where they were or what they could or could not be holding. “Any chance I can buy this off of you? I’ll give you double.”

As he squared up to the stranger, drink in hand as if claiming that he found it first he realized the stupidness of his actions.

Am I trying to tick the guy off!? He knew that he was desperate for the drink but this was crazy. Andrew tried to calm down by telling himself that what he was doing only looked bad from his perspective, that if he saw it from anyone else’s point of view then it would earn them a second glance at best before they got back to their business. It was when he heard a glass smash on the floor behind him, and saw the owner not even blink away from what he was doing to see what broke however when it sank in that maybe… just maybe, he’d misjudged the situation. Just a little.

0