Chapter 6: To the Forest
438 4 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Time to use some cheats my ass. How the hell do I even use them? Where's that voice when I need it?'

“Hey Tia, do you know how to use skills?” I asked Tia.

“I don’t know how to explain it well, it’s like we just know how to use them.” she explained, “The church says that skills are blessings from the gods and they are the ones who will show to us how to use our skills, or so they say but I don’t think I believe it.”

'Skills are given by gods ehy? Well mine was given by a voice inside my head.'

“I see. What about you, what skill do you have?” I asked.

"The last time my status was checked was when I got hired as a servant in the castle." She said, "The only things that I can remember are Housework and Elemental Magic: Fire and Water [Basic]."

'Magic huh, another unknown variable. I should've really played some fantasy stuff.'

"Magic? How does that work?" I asked, all I've been doing was ask her questions. She probably is getting annoyed already.

"The instructor from the Magi Corps told me that there are 4 basic schools of magic: Fire, Air, Water, and Earth. There are also advanced schools but the instructor did not elaborate on those." she explained in an easy to understand way. I was actually surprised that she knows a lot, guess that's a requirement for a castle servant.

I placed my hand on my chin to make it look like I'm deep in thought. 'Hmm, time to try this skill of mine. Here goes nothing, Summon Item?'

[Balance: 100

TIER 1:

Armor

Weapons

Items

]

'Whoa, a clean UI. Let's see, guess I'll go with weapons first.'

[Balance: 100

Category: Weapons

Melee

MG 

Pistols

Rifles

Shotguns

SMG

Specials

]

‘That’s a lot of choices, let’s go with pistols since I’ve fired some pistols before.’

[Balance: 100

Luger P08 - 20

TT-33 - 30

Colt M1911 - 25

Webley 1887 - 25

Nambu Type 14 - 15

]

‘Oh cool a 1911, I’ll go get that then, but I really want to try to fire a Luger. Urgh, damn it I'll get both.’

[Balance: 55

Orders to be delivered in 1 minute.

]

'Okay, just gotta wait for a minute then, but how will it get delivered?'

"Sir Gabriel? You're spacing out again." Tia's words once again brought me back from my deep thoughts.

"Hmm, it's nothing, were you saying something?" 

"Mmmph, it's nothing." she replied with a pout.

"Okay, sorry sorry, I'll listen next time." I said. After apologizing a box fell from the sky."Whoa what the hell?"

"Ah? Wh-what is that?" Tia asked frantically, and in her panic she unconsciously grabbed onto me.

"Wait a minute, that looks like a gun case." I removed the clinging Tia before I approached the box and opened it, "HOLY CRAP IT'S A DAMN LUGER."

I was just like a young boy receiving the toy I wanted for Christmas. There was also a 1911 in the same box, but I've held and fired one before. The Luger however is a different story, you won't even see Lugers in my country since Germans didn't go there.

I aimed at a nearby tree and pulled the trigger, a sharp *Pak* echoed through the forest.

'HOLY CRAAP I FIRED A DAMN LUGER.'

"AAAAH!" Tia screamed as she covered her ears with her hands and ducked down.

'My bad.'

I placed the Luger back inside the box, "I'm sorry, it's okay now, see it's on the box now.”

Tia peeked out and looked at me, “wh-what was that!?”

“That’s uhmm, my magic… yeah magic.” I replied.

‘M-magic? That was magic?” she asked doubtfully, but she inquired no further.

I need to order some holsters for my guns, especially the Luger. I don't want it accidentally discharging in my pocket.  So I went over and used my skill again to get some holsters, the holsters for my guns cost me a total of 20 points. Navigating the ‘Shop?’ was a bit annoying since I had to go through several categories in order to buy them, like: Armor > Torso > Utilities > Holsters > Pistols. Might be easier if the voice was here, some AI support if you will.

After I got my holsters and my guns from their respective boxes, the boxes disappeared. ‘Oh nice, I don’t have to worry about littering or pollution.’

My 1911 is strapped to my chest and the Luger is on my hips. There, we’re now ready to go, “So Tia, where are we going?”

“Eh? I thought you would be leading, Sir Gabriel.” she retorted.

“Huh?” I asked back in surprise, “I’ll lead?”

“Y-yes, you came up with a plan.” she said in response.

“Wait, what plan?” I asked again. Oh wait, I remember now, “I did propose a course of action huh.”

“Yes you did.” she replied.

“Yeah, I guess I did, well then, let’s get going.” I said as I started walking, but where should we go?

With no clear direction in mind, we wandered inside the forest with my Luger in my hand. Better safe than sorry, right?

If we ever need water, Tia will use her magic to summon a blob of water midair then we’ll be cupping some in our hands. It was a surreal sight, it’s like there’s no gravity and the blob of water was just there floating.

‘Might’ve been better if I bought some canteens or cups, but I’m strapped for points, so no.’

For our food, we got nothing. If we were back on earth then I can identify edible plants, but here in another world, no. What if a safe species on earth is actually poisonous here? And I’m not gonna be taking any risk.

‘I think I found a food category in my skill a while ago when I was browsing, but then again, I’m strapped for some points.’

We’ll need something to eat soon, my stomach’s about to grumble. I’ll just use up some points if that’s the only option left. I’ll need to save some points as much as I can though, because I don’t know how to earn some more. I shouldn’t have bought a 1911 and a Luger.

*Rustle* *Rustle*

A bush in front of us was rustling, I aimed my pistol at the bush ready to shoot at whatever comes out of it. Tia on the other hand, hid behind my back. Well she’s got no weapon right now.

Seconds passed and a creature jumped out of the bush, “Oh, it’s just a rabbit. IT’S A RABBIT.”

I aimed at the rabbit’s center mass and fired, *PAK*, but since the Luger’s only 9mm I fired 2 more shots to make sure it’s dead.

I've shot 4 rounds now, so that's half the mag. I gotta conserve ammo. I bought a knife for 15 points, good thing it came with its own scabbard and belt.

I gutted the rabbit to make sure it bled, and then I chopped off its head and threw it away. After letting it bleed, I started to skin the rabbit. It's not pretty, but hey I got the job done

"Hey Tia, we got food." I said while grinning.

"U-uhmm, okay?" she replied.

"I'll need you to start a fire later, okay?" I said to her as I tied the rabbit on my waist with some vines I picked from the ground.

With our food secured, we continued our journey. We'll feast on the rabbit once we find a clearing.

It took us several more hours of walking before we stumbled into a clearing. "I guess this is good enough? Can you make a firepit there? Oh and also gather some dried twigs and branches."

She looked around the clearing for some dried twigs and branches. While she was looking for some firewood, I looked around for a branch that can hold the rabbit while it cooks.

After a few minutes, Tia has already finished building a firepit, the only thing missing is fire and the meat we're going to cook.

I handed her the rabbit-on-a-stick, "Let's start cooking."

Tia summoned a small flame to start the fire. It was small but thankfully it's enough to start the fire.

She placed the rabbit directly on the fire and we just sat back and waited for it to cook. Too bad we don’t have any seasoning or herbs, oh wait Tia just placed something on it.

“What is that?” I asked her.

“Romieria, I saw them while I was gathering some branches so I picked some, it will remove some of the odor of the meat and the gaminess.” she explained.

“Can I have a taste of that?” I asked and she gave me a stalk of it, hmm it smells and tastes like rosemary. “Yeah, nice one Tia, we won’t have to eat bland meat anymore, well it’ll still be bland since that alone won’t change the taste.”

Now I’m tempted to buy some salt and pepper. Screw it, if my points are low then I’ll just spend it all on something that’ll be useful.

I checked out my skill again, ‘Didn’t I have 20 a while ago? Why do I have 25 now?’, doesn’t matter right now, time to buy some salt and pepper. Whoa they’re cheap, 0.1 points per 10 grams. I bought 10 grams each. A minute later a box fell again, ‘Won’t it kill someone if it lands on top of their heads?’.

“Whaa-” Tia once again screamed in surprise, get used to it. I mean it already happened like what, 4 times already?

I opened the box and inside are 2 paper packets labeled salt and pepper. Once I took them out of the box, the box disappeared again.

I opened both packets and sprinkled it on the meat that was cooking. “I-is that salt?” she asked me.

“Hmm? Yeah, just to add some flavor to it.” I replied.

“H-how much does it cost for a salt that is so fine?” she asked in bewilderment.

‘I guess they still don’t have fine salt here?’ 

“Don’t worry it’s just cheap.” I answered.

“CHEAP? DO YOU EVEN KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE SALT IS?” she asked in a loud and annoyed voice.

“N-no, I-I’m sorry.” I apologized, holy crap she can be scary.

“Oh-uhmm, I’m sorry Sir Gabriel, I snapped at you.” she said as she bowed her head.

“N-no I’m sorry.” 

As we're stuck in a never ending loop of apologizing, we heard some bush rustling. We looked over at the direction it’s coming from and saw 2 figures come out.

“What d’we have’ere.” said a rough looking man sporting some rather unclean clothes and a sword on his hip.

“Hehehe, looks like we hit a jackpot.” cackled the other one, he was portly and just like the rough looking man, he was wearing rather dirty clothes and a club on his hand.

“Y’ lad can run along now, leave the girl behind.” the rough looking man said.

“We promise we’ll give her a good time.” the portly one added.

Tia was trembling in fear behind me, I patted her head and turned to the trash, “Shut up you damn low lives.” I scowled.

18