Chapter 16: The First Squad
230 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After having breakfast, Tia and Leah brought down the empty plates. I have also more or less explained everything to Cess. The only thing I needed to do is to get 25 kilos each of salt and pepper.

I don't think I'll summon sacks of salt and pepper yet, I don't think I can carry them on my own. Should I go back to the dungeon to earn some more points and build a small force? Yeah, I guess I'll do that.

"What're you thinking about?" Cess said as she prodded my arm.

"Oh it's nothing, I was just thinking about my payment." I replied.

"Payment for?"

"You, I still haven't paid for you yet you know."

"Urrghh." Cess groaned, "I thought you already paid for me?"

"Nah, I just gave them a collateral, but I haven't paid them yet." I replied.

"What? What did you give as a collateral? We didn't even have anything of value when we were summoned." 

"Yeah we didn't, I just gave them a nice Japanese short sword." I answered.

"Wai-t what? A japanese sword? WHERE'D YOU GET THAT!?" she exclaimed.

"From my skill."

"Wait what skill?" she asked.

"You know, the stuff they showed us at the audience hall." I explained, "The thing that comes out when you say 'Status Open'"

"OOH, that one, I couldn't read that though."

"Yeah me too." I replied.

"Huh? Then how did you know about the skill stuff?"

"I just knew, it just appeared like poof or something."

"That makes no sense." she complained.

"Yeah I know, but it is what it is."

"Uurgh I wanna know my skills too."

"Maybe you will? I guess?"

After our conversation, Tia and Leah came back, "Sir Gabriel we're back.." Tia said.

"Sir, what are your plans today?" Leah asked.

"I'm planning on going back to the dungeon to earn some points to get you a squad." I answered.

"Wha- I'll get my own squad!?" 

"Yeah, we'll need the additional men too." I replied.

"Tia, can you take care of Cess again while we're gone? Don't go out of the room yet though. Okay?"

"Yes Sir Gabriel." Tia answered.

"Wait whaat!? Why do you get to leave while I get left behind!?" Cess ranted.

"You're acting like a kid again." I said teasingly, "You need to stay put unless you want to be under the old man's control again."

Cess' face turned a bit pale before she answered, "U-uh now way I'm going back there, I'll stay put, swear."

"Yeah you better."

Leah and I left the inn and went to the Adventurers' Guild to register Leah, because the guards at the dungeon's entrance last night asked for our guild cards.

But before going to the Adventurers' Guild, I need to go to the Merchants' Guild to replenish my pockets.

I summoned 10 more packets of salt and sold it for 500 Pisas each, just like last time. With my pockets full once more, we headed to the Adventurers' Guild.

The Adventurers' Guild was packed when we arrived, the only counter open as the one with the grumpy geezer. With no other option left, we went to the geezer's counter.

"The fuckin brat survives the dungeon eh?" he said.

"My friend wants to register too."

"Good day old man, I want to register." Leah said.

"Ooo-ooh, sure miss." the old man replied, "I'll need your name and 1000 pisas please."

What the fuck? Where'd the grumpy old man persona go?

"Sure good sir, my name is Leah and hee's 1000 pisas for the registration." Leah said as she handed 1000 Pisas.

The old man wrote on a card again and handed it to Leah, "Here you go miss. Please be careful in the dungeon."

Okay, seriously what the hell?

After her registration we left the guild and headed to the dungeon. I'll need to earn around 1000 points or so in order to buy a full squad of soldiers.

A ww2 german squad consists of 1 squad leader, 1 assistant squad leader, 3 MG operators, and 4 riflemen. If I want to have a squad like that then I'll need around 1000, I'll need to hunt around 10 ogres then.

"Leah Let's go."

"YES SIR!"

+ + + + +

At the baron's manor courtyard, Antonius and Adelfonse were walking side by side with the tanto that Ian gave.

"This sword is finely crafted, I think no one in the kingdom can forge a sword as fine as this, not even with the help of magic."  Adelfonse said as he admired the unsheathed blade.

"Hmmp, magic can surely make something like that." Antonius retorted.

"Magic isn't as omnipotent as you think." Adelfonse replied, "Do you think that merchant will give us some more expensive items if we give another one of your summoned brats? I noticed him staring at another girl before he left."

"Hmmp, don't think of giving another one of those otherworlders." Antonius grumbled.

"Hah they're just a bunch of weak brats right now, what value do they have?" Adelfonse replied mockingly.

"That's why we'll be going to the dungeon later." Antonius said, "You will come with us."

"Of course, I'll prepare a small contingent of guards." Adelfonse replied.

"There's no need for that, the knights from the 2nd King's Guard will be enough." Antonius said proudly.

"Let's set off then, it's already noon, adventurers will start leaving soon. You'll have less experience for the brats if we don't get there soon." Adelfonse explained.

Antonius placed his hand on his chin before he replied, "Hmm, yes let's do that then. Have someone prepare the horses already then."

The heroes and company left the baron's mansion earlier than expected to go to the dungeon. As they passed through the thoroughfare, crowds started to form and cheer on them.

The heroes and company arrived at the dungeon half an hour later. As soon as they arrived, Antonius noticed that groups of adventurers were coming out of the dungeon.

The baron moved his horse closer to Antonius', "I told you we should've gone earlier."

"That we shall do tomorrow." Antonius replied as he got off from his mount.

The heroes and the knights also got off their mounts and entered the dungeon. 

Half an hour has already passed since the heroes and company entered the dungeon but not once have they seen a monster, not even a shadow of one.

"Damn where are the monsters?" A knight complained.

"I guess this is why the adventurers are leaving." another one added.

"How can we level up these damn brats if there are no monsters in sight!?" Adelfonse ranted.

+ + + Ian + + +

"Holy crap that was a lot of monsters, we used up a lot of bullets and grenades." I said as I loaded a new magazine in my gun, "I've already spent around 300 points for ammo and grenades but they still keep coming."

Leah reloaded her gun and checked her other magazines, "Sir, I'm running low on ammo again."

"This is the last group of monsters, I'll give you more rounds after this." I said as I peeked out of our cover and started shooting monsters again.

Leah also peeked out of cover and started firing her MP40, "Yes sir, I'll hold out til then. Throwing grenades."

Dammit, how many hours has it been since we entered? I don't even know how many floors we've already gone through.

We kept on firing until the last monster had already fallen. "Sir, that's the last of them."

"Seems like it, I'll replenish your ammo first before I summon another soldier." I said.

How much did I gain for the last couple of hours anyway?

"Answer: 1784.5 points have been earned in total… "

That's actually quite a lot even with the 300 points I lost earlier, even if I summon a full squad I'll still have a lot left. I want to summon 1 machine gunner, 1 submachine gunner, 1 sniper, and 5 riflemen.

"Total cost of summoning is 925 points, deducting it from your total points balance… Remaining balance is 1131.5 points… Random presets will be used just like the previous summoning… "

Yeah, let's go with that.

Just like when I was summoning Leah, glowing circles appeared on the ground and slowly shone brighter until it was too bright.

After the bright light had  gradually faded away, a group of soldiers stood there at the ready. The group consists of 2 women and 6 men.

Upon seeing me they all stood in attention and saluted, "" SIR ""

Leah went in front of the group, "Introduce yourselves now."

"" Yes Ma'am ""

The girl with the smg was the first to step forward, "Ma'am! Christina Blume reporting for duty."

"You'll be my assistant squad leader." Leah said.

"Yes Ma'am." Christina said with a salute.

The next one to step forward was the girl armed with a scoped Kar98k, "Ma'am! Monika Braun at your service."

The others introduced themselves one after the other, the machine gunner is Karl, and the other riflemen are: Peter, Hans, Walter, Arnold, and Laurenz.

After their introductions, Leah and I checked each of their equipment. The submachine gunner was also armed with an MP40 and 2 stielhandgranates. The machine gunner is armed with the legendary MG42 and Mauser C96. The sniper was armed with a scoped Kar98k and a Luger. The riflemen were all armed with a Kar98k with bayonets and 2 stielhandgranates each.

“I think that’s enough dungeon exploring for today, let’s all head back to the inn now.” I said to them.

“” YES SIR “” they all replied with a salute.

“Squad form 2 columns, the riflemen will be on the flanks, smg and sniper at the rear, mg on me. The captain will be in the center." Leah commanded.

Our whole group made our way out of the dungeon, this time I counted how many floors we passed through. I've already counted 4 but we're not yet out of here. How far did we actually reach!?!

After what feels like an eternity of walking without anything in sight, we finally saw other people.

+ + + + +

"What's going on here!? We're already on the third floor but there's still no monster in sight." Adelfonse complained.

"That is very strange indeed." Antonius replied.

"I told you we should've gone earlier." Adelfonse said. "If only you listened to m- wait what's that sound?"

The sound of multiple footsteps echoes throughout the dungeon's halls.

"All men prepare for battle." Antonius ordered.

The heroes and the knights lined up at the front with their weapons unsheathed.

"HERE THEY COME! BRAAACE!" a knight shouted.

The atmosphere became tense as the sound of footsteps grew louder and louder. The heroes and co could tightened their grips on their weapons as they saw a group of silhouettes coming to them.

"Squad, fan out, protect the captain." A voice came from the other group.

"Wait wait wait.” Another one said.

“Wait a minute, I recognize that voice.” Adelfonse whispered to Antonius, “It’s the merchant from before. Let’s use this chance to get the black and white gold for free, we can take back the summoned girl too.”

“Hmmm, you’re right.” Antonius replied in agreement. “I’ll cast a light orb spell.”

Antonius chanted a spell and moments later a ball of light appeared on his staff and floated up to the ceiling. It was bright enough to light the whole hall.

“I knew it, it was you, merchant boy.” Adelfonse said with a snicker, “Attack them now!”

“Oh crap.” Ian said as he stopped walking and took out his weapon.

Leah who was behind him also prepared her weapon, “Squad prepare to engage!”

14