Chapter 23: Evacuees
202 9 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I met up with Leah and the other squad leaders to discuss our new operation, “I called you all because we have a new mission, we’ll head back to the town of Nareña and retake it. Afterwards, we will help the people rebuild the town and accept them if they want to come back.”

“Sir, what if they don’t want to go back to the town?” Janice asked.

“Then it means that we’ll have a whole town for us to use as a base.” I answered. "But there's a problem, I don't think we can retake that town with just 3 squads and a tank, right?"

"Yes sir." Leah said in agreement and the rest nodded.

"How large of a force should we need to retake that town?" I asked.

"Sir, I think a company should be enough, considering that they don't have anything to defend themselves from our weapons." Leah suggested.

Henry also stood up and said, "Sir, I think that our tank should be enough for now, but I think we'll also need a self propelled artillery. We already have the Sdkfz 251/21 for anti air purposes."

An SPA huh? Should I get a brummbar or the sturmhaubitze? Wait before I decide what to get, let me check my points first. We killed that dragon right? How many points did I earn?

"Answer: The dragon's classification is a [Young Adult]… By killing it you earned 5000 points… "

WHAT THE FUCK?

"MEN KILL ALL THE DRAGONS WE ENCOUNTER! THAT'S AN ORDER!" I accidentally shouted in surprise.

"" Uh? Yes sir? "" even my squad leaders were taken aback.

"Uh excuse me for my sudden outburst." I said to them with my head bowed down.

"Uh, sir you don't need to apologize for it." Leah said.

"Uh yeah, well back to our meeting. Henry, I might be able to get an SPA, is a brummbar enough?" I asked.

"Yes sir, that's more than enough."

After granting Henry's request I next turned to Leah, "I don't think I can summon enough soldiers to form a company. Let me just check my skill for a second."

How much is an infantry platoon? And how many soldiers are in there?

"Answer: A platoon costs 2750 points… It has 3 squads, 1 light mortar, and the platoon HQ… "

"Yeah, I can only summon 1 full platoon at most." I answered Leah.

"That is fine with me sir, but can you also reinforce our current platoon?" She asked.

"Yeah sure, what else do you need?" I asked back.

"We would also meed a light mortar, another squad, a medic, and a platoon radio." Leah answered.

"Okay, you'll be top priority, then the tank squad, and lastly the new platoon." I said before standing up, "Are there any more concerns?"

"" None Sir! ""

"If that is all, then this meeting will now be adjourned." I said before leaving.

Well then time to summon some stuff.

I need to summon another standard squad, a medic, a radio operator, a light mortar with crew, a brummbar with crew and a standard platoon if I can still afford it.

"Affirmative… 1 Infantry squad purchased… Total cost is 750 points… 1 medic purchased… Total cost is 900 points… 1 Granatwerfer 42 with crew purchased… Total cost 1150… 1 Sturmpanzer with crew purchased… Total cost 2400… 1 infantry platoon purchased… Total cost is 5150… Deducting total cost to total points balance… Remaining points is 891.5… "

I guess I do have enough points.

And as usual after using my skill, a bright summoning circle appeared and the people and stuff I purchased appeared after the summoning circle.

After the light faded away, a lot of people stood up in formation, 2 mortars can also be seen, but the main attraction is the brummbar with its 150mm howitzer. No defensive walls will be a problem now.

I think I should summon another Sdkfz 251 to be used as an ambulance and field hospital. Is there an ambulance version of the 251?

“Answer: Yes… The sdkfz 251/8 I or more commonly known as the Kraken Panzerwagen is an armored ambulance… It costs 800 points… Proceed to purchase… “

Yeah go ahead.

“1 Kranken Panzerwagen purchased… Total cost is 800 points… Deducting total cost to total points balance… remaining points balance is 91.5… “

Another summoning circle appeared and afterwards the vehicle. I called the newly summoned medics, “Carry the wounded knights to the Krankenwagen and tend to them, take the wounded soldier too.”

“” YES SIR! “”

After the medics left, I called Leah, “Leah, tie up the old man and make sure that he won’t be able to talk. I put you and Christina in charge of guarding the krankenwagen.”

“As you wish sir.” Leah saluted and left.

After everything had been prepared, I had everyone form up and I stood at the front, “SOLDIERS! WE WILL NOW COMMENCE OUR OPERATION TO RETAKE THE TOWN OF NAREÑA AND AID IN ITS RECONSTRUCTION.”

“” URAAAA “” they screamed.

The first platoon, except the newly summoned squad, mounted their vehicles. The mortars were also placed in one of the APCs. The panzer 4 took the lead with the brummbar and all the APCs behind. The rest of the infantry formed a column behind the vehicle convoy. I went to the Panzer 4’s turret and sat there looking at my army. Damn, this is so cool. And with our force now ready, we began the march to Nareña.

+ + + + +

In the APC where Ian’s friends and classmates are located, the adventurers were also placed there making the whole vehicle cramped. An sdkfz 251/1 is only meant to carry 10 passengers, but now there are 17 people inside.

“It kinda feels like jeeps back home right?” Carlo said, “Especially during rush hours and evenings.”

“Yeah, it actually feels just like a jeep.” Rika said in agreement. "Hey Kelvin, are you still good there?"

Kelvin, who was still bound by ropes replied, "Do I look good to you? I'm bound in ropes and I haven't eaten a single bite yet."

"Dude, that deer tasted so good." Richard said, making Kelvin more jealous.

“Dammit, why’d Ian do this to me!?” Kelvin yelled.

“I think your punishment is just right.” Cess said, “I mean, you did shoot one of his soldiers.”

“Uh yeah, I guess I did, but still-”

Cess didn't even let Kelvin finish, “They could've killed you there and then you know."

“No way, Ian won’t do that, right?” Kelvin replied.

“Ian won’t, but I think his soldiers will.” Cess said.

“Eh? That’s uhmm… why does he even have a lot of soldiers? Heck I think their numbers even doubled now.” Kelvin exclaimed.

“Come to think of it, I guess they did double in number.” Rika replied with a nod.

“He’s going to save Nareña.” Maria joined in. "I'm Maria by the way, that kid saved me and my friends from certain death.  Aren’t you guys the heroes? What are you doing here?”

“Well, uh, Ian basically saved us too.” Rika replied.

 “Huh? Saved you from what exactly?” Maria asked.

“Well, from the old man and the knights. Because the old man basically hypnotized us to do whatever he wants us to do.” Kelvin was the one to reply, “Hey there miss, my name’s Kelvin.”

"First I saw the knights cut down the civilians they were supposed to be protecting. And now you tell me the court sorcerer hypnotized you guys. Is this the true colors of the kingdom?" Matia muttered under her breath so no one was able to hear her.

“Dammit Kelvin.” Carlo said, “You just saw a beautiful lady and then your energy just skyrocketed.”

“Well that’s Kelvin for you.” Rika stated as a matter of fact.

“Yeah, the same old Kelvin that never changes.” Cess added. “I’ll try to go to sleep since my eyes are already giving up.”

“Same here.” Rika added.

“Me too.”

“Same here.”

Everyone in the group agreed, except for the adventurers. “Nareña’s still some ways away, we should rest up too.” Tristan said.

“I guess we should get some sleep too, you should also get some sleep,”Maria replied.

“Yeah, wake me up when we get there.”

And with their conversation over, they also went to sleep and thus the entire APC became quiet as it travelled down the road.

+ + + Ian + + +

It took us a few hours, 2 hours to be exact, before we saw the first signs of the evacuees. It was a convoy of 3 wagons and some people trailing behind them. “W-what the hell is that thing!?” the man driving the lead wagon asked as he pointed at the tank.

“You guys are from Nareña right?" I asked, ignoring his question.

"Oh-h, yes. You need to turn back now, the town's been overrun by monsters." He said with a grim expression.

"We'll need to head there since we'll retake the city from the monsters." I replied.

His expression suddenly became pleasant, "Wait, really?"

"Yes, we'll attack at first light." I answered with a nod.

"May the god of luck and the god of war be with you." He said.

"You can follow us if you like, if all goes well then we will probably retake the city before tomorrow ends." I replied. "You'll need to take care of your own food though."

"Is what you're saying the truth, good sir?" he asked with a hint of doubt in his voice.

"Yes, what I say is the truth." I replied confidently.

"T-then, if you'll have us, please take us with you." he replied, "I don't know if the others will be willing to go back to Nareña too."

I looked over at the convoy and saw several people trembling as they avoided my eyes, "We're not forcing anyone to come with us, if they want to come then let them and if they don't then that's fine with us."

After hearing my words, the rest of the evacuees breath a sigh of relief. Only a quarter of the convoy decided to go back to Nareña with us, the rest said they'd rather start over somewhere. Those who decided to come with us, trailed behind my army.

We met more evacuees along the road. And just like before, I asked who wanted to go back to Nareña. There are those who are willing to come back, and there are those who don't. Some of them also got scared upon seeing us and fled immediately. Our convoy is becoming longer and longer as we come across more evacuees.

An hour has already passed since our last encounter with a group of evacuees, ahead of us we can already see a part of the sky being lit up by a yellow-orangish glow and some smoke plumes. We're almost there.

I knocked at the cupola and Henry's head popped out, "We should stop and make camp 500 meters away from the city."

"Affirmative sir, based on my estimations, I think we're still around e or 4 km away from the town."

"I see, that'll just take us a few minutes then."

"Yes sir, around 10 minutes if we were alone, but we have a lot of people walking so I think 45 minutes to an hour and a half seems reasonable." He replied before saluting and going back inside the tank.

45 more minutes huh? We'll still need to make camp, but I'm already sleepy, I'll leave it to my men later.

Just as Henry estimated, we arrived at our destination roughly around an hour later. All my men dismounted and prepared to make camp. I would've loved it if I could summon some provisions for my men, but sadly I'm broke.

Leah came to me while a soldier behind her was dragging something, "Sir, this old man tried to escape a while ago and also tried to attack us during our trip."

"I-is that why he's like that?" I replied as I pointed at the old man that's bound by rope from his shoulders down to his feet.

"Yes sir." Leah answered.

"Good work? Anyways, it would be nice if our men can eat something, even a little bread will do, but sadly I don't have points to spare. If only I had something- oh wait, I do have some money."

I retrieved all of my money from my Item Box and gave it to Leah. I also ordered her to search the old man and the two wounded knights for some money and add that to the money I gave and buy some food from the people following us.

*Yaaawn* Damn, I'm really sleepy. But I still need to have a meeting with my old squad leaders and the newly summoned platoon and squad leaders.

Try as I might, I couldn't fight back my drowsiness. So I just laid down there and then on top of the tank and let my drowsiness take over me.

 

14