Chapter 26: Fighting among oursleves
199 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We led the survivors out of the building where I found several other groups of survivors being rounded up. I counted 13, 16 if you include the ones we rescued.

"Sir, we have finished clearing all the buildings along this road and we have rescued several survivors. But no hostiles have been encountered." A soldier reported as soon as he saw us leave the building.

"The same as us huh? Good work. Tell the men to form up and secure the central plaza." I replied.

"Yes sir!" he replied before leaving.

After the soldier left, I approached the three survivors we rescued. "Can you tell me what happened here?"

"Th-the tow-n w-was over-run by-y mon-sters y-yesterday evenig." The boy stammered. "S-so-"

"So we hid in this building for the whole night, but then we were woken up by a loud sound." The older girl continued.

"I-it went like, 'BOOOM'." The boy said.

That's our bombardment alright.

"We looked outside after the loud sounds and saw that the monsters were all gone." The older girl explained.

"All gone?" I asked.

"Yes, all gone." The older girl replied.

“I see, well then, join the other survivors." I said to them before turning to my men. “Leah, create a team that’ll escort the survivors outside the town.”

“Yes, sir!” She replied before escorting the survivors out of the city.

As I watched Leah and a group of soldiers escort the survivors, I saw Cess heading towards me. "Hey, what's up?"

“Urgh, that idiot, does he think I can’t take care of myself? Well, Excuuuse meee. I can pretty much take care of myself." She ranted.

"U-uh, Cess?" 

"Ian? Huh? Oh, it's nothing."

"That doesn't look like nothing to me." I said.

"Uhmm, well… I kinda got mad at Kelvin for what he said." Cess replied.

"Well, that's Kelvin for you." I said, "So, what're you doing here? Shouldn't you be with the others?"

"They can take care of themselves, their heroes right?" She said indignantly.

"But, erm, you're a hero too… " I muttered under my breath. "Well then, if you're coming with me then you need something to protect yourself with."

I gave her my Luger and 2 extra magazines, "Wait, Ian? I don't even know how to use this!"

"Just aim and pull the trigger. Just keep your finger off the trigger when not firing." I explained. "Don't worry, I'll be there to help you, okay?"

"Yeah, thanks again Ian." She said as she took the Luger.

"No prob, anyways, let's go to the plaza, my men are already there."

"Okay."

Cess and I hopped on the tank and it took us to the central plaza. My men had already formed up into their respective squads when we arrived, the half-tracks were also arranged in a column formation.

“Sir, the troops have formed up.” Janice reported.

“Yeah, I can see that.” I replied, “Did any squad encounter any hostiles?”

“No sir.”

I really have a bad feeling about this.

I need to be ready for anything, so I think I’ll set up a defensive perimeter first before advancing any further, “Is that so? Tell the men to break the formation and set up a defensive perimeter around the plaza.”

“As you command, sir!” she replied before leaving.

“What’s going on Ian?” Cess asked.

“We haven’t encountered a single enemy along the way here.” I answered.

“Isn’t that a good thing?” she said.

“No, well yes. But I think it’s the calm before the storm.” I replied.

"Maybe you're just overreacting?"

"Maybe, but it's better to be prepared, no?" I said, "Let's go."

"O-okay."

Cess and I went to the center of the plaza where a makeshift HQ has been established. All the officers have already gathered there.

"Good morning men." I said to them and they all saluted.

"The men have established a defensive perimeter on the north, east, and western roads leading to the plaza. Each position has 2 squads and 1 sdkfz 251/1. The remaining APC is here together with the SPAA, Sturmpanzer, Kranenwagen, and Panzer IV to protect the HQ. The medics and the machine gunners are also here in the HQ." Janice explained.

That should be good enough for the defense right now. As for Leah's squad, "Good work. Leah's squad will act as a mobile reserve once they return."

"Yes sir, I will inform her once she arrives." Janice replied, "What about you sir?"

"Me? Well, I'll also be joining Leah's squad when they arrive." I answered, "Are there any more concerns?

"" No sir! ""

"You're all dismissed then." I said before leaving, Cess followed behind.

Since there aren't any monsters and also I don't have any destination or plan in mind, we'll just go around the perimeter and check each group.

+ + + Marvin + + +

I've been fighting monsters since I arrived here. I've even pushed them back from the plaza, but there's just no end to them.

"DAMMIT WHY ARE THERE SO MUCH MONSTEEEERS!"

I didn't think that there'll be this much. Tsk, it's no problem though, because I'm the hero.

"BRING IT ON MOTHAFAKAS!" I yelled to boost my already high morale. "RAAAAAAGH!"

I charged through their lines again, killing everything that stood in my way. Goblins… Goblins… Orcs… Goblins… Ogres… What the heck!? They just keep coming. I kept on slashing my sword until they stopped attacking and just encircled me.

"WHAT NOW YOU TRASH MOBS! YOU'RE FINALLY SCARED OF THE GREAT ME!?" I shouted.

I watched them to see what they'll do next. But what they did next surprised me, they cleared open a path where a Goblin riding a wolf and holding a massive hammer marched down.

What!? I thought these monsters are dumb as shit.

"Good… Hero managed entertain me… " the goblin on the wolf said, "Me great Ulhukay… General of Demon Lod Army… Me lead Demon Lord first greenskin division… surrender to me and I let hero die easily… "

"FUCK YOU, FIX YOUR DAMN GRAMMAR YOU DUMB SHIT." I yelled as I leapt at the goblin general.

The goblin general easily blocked my strike with his giant hammer and used my momentum against me. I was blown back and crashed on a building's wall.

"GRAAAGK" I shouted in agony as I coughed out blood.

"Hero is sturdy… But still weak and child… Sturdy useless… Hero useless… I kill you now… " fuckin hell, this trash has a damn death wish.

"I'M NOT FUCKING USELESS!!!"

I want to fuckin kill that trash, but I'm outnumbered and I still don't know my OP hero skill. So I'll need to escape for now.

I charged at them and mowed down a couple of the trash mobs and reached the goblin general, but it was prepared for my strike and swung his giant hammer. His hammer struck me but I used that to jump off and escape the encirclement.

"SEE YOU LATER ASSHOLE!"

"Catch hero… rip him pieces… "

"" GRRRAAAAAARGH ""

HOLY CRAP! THE WHOLE DAMN HORDE IS AFTER ME.

I ran as fast as the damn lightning, trying to outrun the damn horde.

+ + + Ian + + +

As Cess and I were inspecting the perimeter, a soldier came running towards us, “Sir! Your friends are at the HQ and Oberleutnant Leah and her squad have also arrived.”

“I’ll go there immediately then, lead the way.” I replied.

"Yes sir."

The soldier led us back to the HQ where it had become crowded. Leah's squad on one side and the heroes party on the other.

"Hey Ian, can we pass through?" Rika asked.

"Uh no, not until we make sure that it's safe to cross." I replied.

"But it is very quiet, isn't it? Besides, we still need to find Marvin, if he still hasn't died from your attack." Jose retorted.

"Shut up Jose, I'm not talking to you." I said to him.

"I'm just thinking to myself out loud, so don’t mind me." he said.

“Well excuse me then.” I replied sarcastically.

"Ian, we need to find Marvin." Richard said.

"I know. I will help you guys, AFTER we make sure it's clear." I replied.

"URGH, come on Ian, we need to hurry. Don't you care about Marvin!?" Richard asked.

No, not really. I mean, he chose to charge alone.

They keep on repeating what they want me to do, they won't listen to me. "Of course I do, but we need to make sure everything is okay."

"Everything is okaaaay, look at that, it's so freakin quiet." Jose said.

"What, are you thinking out loud again?" I asked.

As we kept on bickering, a soldier came running from the western defense position. “SIR! ONE MAN IS RAPIDLY APPROACHING THE LINE!”

“Okay. Leah, take your squad and go to the western position, I’ll follow along.”

“Yes sir!” Leah replied with a salute and took her squad.

I turned to my classmates again, “How about you guys? What’s your plan?”

“I have a feeling that man is Marvin, so we’ll come with you.” Rika answered.

"Alright, let's go." I said.

My friends, classmates, and the adventurers followed me to the western position. There we saw Marvin being pinned by a couple soldiers.

"LET ME GOOOO! DAMMIT!" Marvin yelled as he thrashed around.

"SIR! SIR! JUST CALM DOWN!" one of the soldiers restraining him said.

Marvin continued to thrash around, "IM FUCKIN CALM! OKAY!"

"No sir! You are not!"

Jose and Richard rushed to Marvin's side, "Bro chill out!" Jose said.

Richard helped in restraining him, "Calm down man. We're your classmates."

Marvin, who finally noticed his classmates, stopped thrashing around, "Huh!? Jose? Richard?"

"" Yeah "" Jose and Richard replied.

"Yes! Now we can damn beat the horde!" Marvin shouted.

Horde!?

"Wait what horde?" Jose asked.

"Yes, a greenskin horde is making their way here as we speak, I ran away since I was outnumbered. But now, I have you guys. FOLLOW ME!"

"Uhhh… I'll pass… Byeeee!" Richard said as he ran back to the group.

Jose followed behind Richard, "Yeah, no thanks."

"YOU COWARDS! THAT'S WHY YOU'RE JUST DAMN SIDE CHARACTERS! NOT LIKE ME, THE GREAT HERO MARVIN!"

I went in front of Marvin as he was spouting nonsense and balled up my fist, "This one's for last time."

"GUIUH- Dam- GRUU~"

I knew one hit wasn't enough, so I had one of my men smack him with a rifle. My classmates were astounded by what I did. "Iaaan! Why'd you do that for?!" Rika asked.

"I had to get back at him, yeah? And besides he's just spouting some nonsense and wasting our time." I answered, "Leah, we will reestablish our defensive position and focus all troops on the western road."

"As you command sir." Leah replied, "Let's go men, double time!"

"I don't know about you guys, but we need to go back if what Marvin said is true." I said to my classmates and adventurers, "That is if you don't want to die."

+ + + + +

After saying, "That is if you don't want to die.", Ian left his classmates and the adventurers and went to the HQ.

"Urgh, that's it. Carlo, Cess, Kelvin come with me. Ian needs some talking to." Rika said angrily.

"Uhh… Rika?"

"Carlo, don't. She's making that face." Cess stopped Carlo from holding Rika.

"Uh, yeah. Maybe not." he replied.

They made their way to the HQ and the rest of their classmates followed while the adventurers carried the unconscious Marvin. Ian was having a discussion with his officers.

"IAN!" Rika called out.

"Not right now Rika, I'm in the middle of a meeting." Ian replied without even glancing at Rika.

"Urgh… This is too much now! Ian, I need to talk to you!” Rika demanded as she forcefully grabbed Ian.

“What the heck Rika!? What do you think you’re doing!?” Ian protested.

“You need a damn talking to.” Rika replied.

Ian removed Rika’s hand from his arm, “The fuck!? Who’re you my mom!? You think you can just barge in our meeting and take me away!? Fuck off.”

*SLAAAAP*

“You’re not the Ian we used to know.” Rika said.

“R-rika?” Cess, Carlo, and Kelvin were all surprised, even Ian’s officers were astounded.

“W-why the hell did you slap me!?” Ian shouted.

“You’ve changed. It’s been just a few days since we’ve been summoned here and you’ve already changed!”

“YES! I DID CHANGE! But that change was needed for me to adapt to this world. We are not on Earth anymore! Wake up Rika!” Ian yelled. “This is a world where life is cheap and dangers lurk in every corner. This isn’t a fantasy where you get to be a hero. When will you wake up and accept that this is our new reality!? And accept that this reality is a harsh one!?”

Rika was at a loss for words, “U-uh… “

“I guess I shouldn’t have changed and just threw my life away. Is that what you want Rika!?”

“N-no… I…”

“Ian! I think that’s enough.” Cess said as she hugged Rika to comfort her.

“Tsk, Dammit, men we head to the defence line.” Ian ordered his men.

“” YES SIR! “” his officers replied as they stood up and saluted.

“Let’s go.” Ian said as he and his officers left, but before leaving he turned to his friends one last time, “Go be heroes if that’s what you want, just don’t get in my way.”

“Ian…”

11