Chapter 33: Latecomers
154 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More than half an hour had already passed but the volleys of arrows still didn't stop. Well, they weren't continuously firing, they fired a volley every 5 minutes or so. In the 5 minutes in between the volleys, I would send someone to scout on top of the wall. Even without the scouts I still had eyes on the enemy; the tanks and the quad 20mm crew.

“Sir *Krshk* the enemies have assembled a makeshift battering ram, over. *Krshk*"

"Is that what the enemies at the rear were doing?" I asked.

"Aff- *Krshk* -irmative the battering ram is just a piece of log on a wheeled platform."

"Let them be, the most damage they can inflict to the APCs will just be a couple of dents." I replied nonchalantly knowing that they can't do anything to our defenses.

After hearing the report, I didn't send any scouts anymore. We'll just wait for them to reach the walls, once they do. All hell will be let loose on them.

As we waited inside the gatehouse, my men were doing final checks on their weapons. Some were even happily talking amongst each other. My men aren't even scared, who would be scared in this situation anyways? This battle will just feel like a turkey shoot for them. I feel bad for all the enemies, too bad they chose the wrong side.

A few more minutes passed before we heard a loud thud. "*Krshk* Tangos have reached the gates and are starting to batter it, o- *Krshk* -ver."

"Todeswind-1 to command, enemy formation has *Krshk* began to move forward."

Todeswind-1 was the callsign I gave to the quad 20 on the wall.

I readied my MP40 and turned to my men. "MEN! The enemies have reached the gates, we must now fulfill our duties and defend this town! Let the battle-, nay, let the turkey shoot begin!"

With a loud warcry as their reply, my men rushed to the battlements and aimed at the enemies. I followed behind them with a radio in my hand.

"Fire!"

Was the only word I said, this one word started what was soon to be known as the carnage at the gates of Nareña.

+ + + + +

The Nareña Liberation force marched onwards to the gate, ready to meet the enemy. The commander moved ahead of the main force to check the progress of the battering ram in taking down the barricades on the gate.

“Why in the nine hells have you not yet taken down those barricades.” The commander asked irritatedly.

“My lord, this is made from metal, our ram wouldn’t be able to punch through that.” The soldier in charge of the ram replied.

“Fucking idiots, just go over it if you can’t bring it down.” The commander said, “HEY YOU PEASANT REBELS! WHERE ARE YOUR DAMN FIRE SORCERERS NOW!?”

As soon as those words left the commander’s lips, the quad 20mm on the wall opened fire, bringing forth a hail of HVAP and API rounds upon the formation. Loud roars were also heard coming out of the forest on either side of the army, moments later, the tanks emerged and drove straight into the middle of the formation.

“MONSTERS!” The levies yelled in panic.

“Wh-what in the heavens!?” The commander said with a scared face.

The tanks tore through the enemy formation, crushing anyone who dared get in it’s way. The Nareña liberation force’s cohesive formation worked against them and in favor of the tanks and the quad 20mm. The once organized army was now in disarray and are all trying to flee. It was at this time that the infantry on top of the wall also started to fire their small arms, picking off the stragglers that the tanks and quad 20mm missed.

A cacophony of gunfire and explosions ruined the once silent landscape. Levies, knights, and sorcerers alike couldn’t do anything to their enemies. The levies with minimal training and the lowest morale were the first to run away, but were still gunned down. The knights with their superior enchanted armor and were the pride of the kingdom’s military all cowered behind their shields and armor, but even those proved to be insufficient as they were easily penetrated by even the small arms fire. The sorcerers who were called the Kingdom’s protectors put up every kind of barrier they could think of, but every single barrier they put up was easily shattered one after the other. The horses and other pack animals of the army weren't spared, most of them got caught up in the crossfire while others fled right from the start when the quad 20mm opened fire, even the commander’s horse fled throwing him off to the ground.

In less than ten minutes, an army was completely decimated. The road leading to Nareña was filled with corpses and was almost completely dyed red by the blood of the fallen. The only people who survived the carnage were the ones manning the battering ram and the commander. The survivors were shaking in fear as they had just witnessed their comrades die.

Soon after making sure that no enemies had managed to escape, the tanks returned to the gates and found several grown men shaking in their boots. Henry got out of the tank and aimed his MP40 at them, “STAND DOWN AND DROP YOUR WEAPONS!”

The commander stood up and tried to pull out his sword but Henry shot his leg making him fall and yell out in pain. The other soldiers immediately dropped their weapons and knelt down. “Please spare us!” they pleaded.

Henry waved to Ian who was on top of the walls.

+ + + Ian + + +

Henry was waving at me from below, so I decided to go to him. I went down the wall together with Leah and a squad of soldiers for protection. I ordered the APCs to clear the way so I could get out, as soon as they were out. I saw a bunch of men kneeling on the ground and a pig that was squealing and squirming on the ground.

“Hey Henry, what happened here?” I asked.

“Sir, these men wanted to surrender.” He replied as he pointed at the group of kneeling men.

“What about this pig?” I asked as I pointed at the squirming pig.

“He tried to pull out his sword so I fired at him, sir.” He replied.

The pig on the ground who heard me insult him tried to get up, “Y-YOU PEASANT!” he yelled.

My men didn’t like how the pig responded so they smacked him with their rifle butts. With every squeal that the pig made, the surrendering soldiers grew more pale. I guess they were scared thinking that’ll happen to them too, well it will. If they disobey us. 

I had my men bound those surrendering soldiers and the squirming pig. I'll have them locked up in the mansion's underground prison for a few days before releasing them. I won’t interrogate or torture them, the regular soldeirs that is. We’ll interrogate the pig since he’s a noble, must have a lot of valuable information.

I had the prisoners blindfolded and loaded into an APC and had them transported to the mansion. As for me, I stayed behind and surveyed the carnage in front of the town. How the hell will we clean this up!? How many points did I earn from this?

“Answer: You have earned a total of 42572.25 points… You now have a total of 45071 points… “

Sweet, now I can build more stuff for the town. I already have a mine, an ammunition factory, mint, and a fuel pump. I'll focus on the town's residents next. That means a couple of farm plots and apartments.

After confirming my next plans, I now headed to the mint together with Leah. I'll need to set up some production lines for the mint. Time to make my own money. I won't be manufacturing money indefinitely, that'll mess up the economy.

+ + + + +

After the sun has already set and was replaced by the moon. Marvin and his followers could already see the town's walls in the horizon.

"What's that smell?" Marvin asked.

"That's the smell of blood." Alejandro answered.

"Does that mean we arrived late?" Marvin asked again.

"I don't know." Alejandro answered before turning to his fellow knight, "Sir Julio, lead your forces and check the gates."

"Sure." Sir Julio answered as he went to his personal retinue of 15 horsemen.

Alejandro scanned the town wall's silhouette, "They don't even have any fires going on over there." He muttered to himself.

Marvin, who heard Alejandro's muttering, went in front of his 'followers', "We have now arrived in Nareña, look at the enemy cower behind their walls! They even forgot to light their torches!"

Some of the men who heard him laughed, but most of them just ignored him. The knights on the other hand, shook their heads in disappointment.

You just ruined the element of surprise by shouting you dumbass, hero my ass.

"That was not a wise move, oh great hero." Alejandro said to Marvin.

"Oh please, there aren't even any enemies on the walls. Besides, I'm the leader here, so step back in line and follow my orders." Marvin replied nonchalantly.

Urgh, this idiot! I'll fucking murder you myself once we take the town.

They waited for a few minutes for Julio's group to return. "So, what did you find?" Alejandro asked.

"Nothing, just a bunch of dead bodies. The town's gates have also been destroyed." Julio replied.

"Hmmm, have everyone march inside." Alejandro said.

Marvin didn’t like it since he wasn’t the one who gave the order so he marched ahead of the formation and shouted, “EVERYONE! FORWAAAARD MARCH!”

URGH THIS STUPID BRAT.

The whole formation marched forward with Marvin and Alejandro at the lead. They marched on, not aware that something was stalking them from the forest.

+ + + Ian + + +

I was chilling in my bedroom when Leah barged in, "Sir! Report from Elephant-2: Intruder-2 has passed the red line."

"Huh? Oh right, I guess it's now time to welcome our late guests." I replied.

"As you wish, sir! I'll have the first platoon assemble at the plaza." Leah said.

"Yeah, go do that." I replied before getting up from my bed, "I'll fix myself up first before joining you."

"Okay sir!" Leah said before leaving.

"Urgh, why do we keep on getting guests today?" I complained to myself.

Good thing I sent Scout-1 right after I finished setting up production lines for the mint. They spotted a smaller group some ways south of the town. So I had the tanks move back to the forest and standby since they have night vision devices, even if it's the primitive type.

I went to the washroom and fixed myself up a bit before donning my uniform again. I went outside and I was greeted by two soldiers guarding my door. "Take me to Leah." I ordered.

"" Yes sir! ""

I was led outside where I found Leah and the 1st platoon mounting up. 1st platoon has 4 APCs assigned to them, one for each squad. Leah saw me and went to me.

"Sir, the first platoon is now ready to go." She said with a salute.

I returned her salute before giving her further instructions, "That's good to hear, I'll be riding with the M41. You can go ahead now, once you reach the plaza have everyone dismount and surround the area. Tell the drivers to turn off their engines and headlights too."

"Yes sir, we'll do that once we reach our destination." Leah said before boarding the last APC.

After a few moments, the APC column began to roll out. I watched on as they left the mansion's wall before going on top of the M41's turret. I took out my radio and contacted Henry, "Elephant 1 and 2, block the road leading out of Nareña."

"*Krshk* Roger, Elephant-1 out, over."

The M48s will block the roads to make sure no one can escape. The enemy came here prepared to kill, so they should be prepared to be decimated.

I ordered the M41 to follow the APC column right after my communication with Henry. Time to meet the new guests.

+ + + + +

Marvin and his group marched through the empty and destroyed southern district. The buildings they passed by were all either destroyed or damaged with not a single soul in sight.

I'm starting to have a bad feeling about this. Alejandro said to himself, "Sir hero, I think it's best if we retreat now."

"Nonsense, we must push on." Marvin said without any care about what Alehandro said.

Dammit! I'll have your head after all of this is done. Alejandro complained internally, but he still maintained a composed look outside. "Sir hero, me and my men will just follow you until the central plaza."

"If that is what you want, I'll be taking anyone who still wishes to join me, got that?" Marvin said to Alejandro before caressing the body of the girl tied to the horse. "After I claim this victory, I'll have a celebration using you." The girl just whimpered as Marvin continued touching her.

After a few more minutes of marching down the thoroughfare, Marvin and his group arrived at the central plaza. They can finally see some human-like silhouettes in front of them.

"Hey you!" Marvin yelled as he unsheathed his sword and waved it around. "The Great Hero has arrived, BOW DOWN BEFORE ME!" He demanded with a loud voice.

But instead of following Marvin's demand, the silhouettes just stood there and did nothing.

Taking it as an insult, Marvin yelled louder, "I SAID BOW DOWN BEFORE ME!"

This time his demand was answered by several blinding lights making him cover his eyes with his hand. The knights and their retinues also covered their eyes or turned their head away.

10