Chapter 40: Negotiations
349 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Parabellum?" The commander parroted what I said. "I don't have any knowledge of a nation called parabellum."

"Well, our town just became independent a few days ago." I replied. I wanna go down there so we can talk easier. Coz' right now we're just shouting at each other.

"Independent town?" He asked himself, but I still heard it. "Does that mean you're rebels!?"

Well, we would look like rebels to him, right? Will this mean they'll attack us?

"Well, the enemy of my enemy is my friend, isn't it?" He asked again.

Whew, thought for a second that there'll be another fight.

"Thank goodness you're understanding, we'll leave this town as soon as we meet up with our reinforcements." I replied. "Even though we'll be leaving this town, I cannot at this moment let you enter with your whole army."

"Why is that!?" He asked with slight irritation in his voice.

"Your army outnumbers us greatly, thus we cannot allow you to enter the town." I replied.

"How many men do you have?" He asked.

"I can't give you the exact numbers, but let's just say we number less than 200 men." I answered. I say we have less than 200 but in reality we don't even have more than 100 now that the SAS teams and a squad was RTB.

"YOU TOOK A TOWN WITH MORE THAN 3000 DEFENDERS WITH JUST 200 MEN!?" He shouted full of doubt. "Don't make me laugh."

"It is the truth though, you did see us circle around the castle walls right?" I said.

"Circle the city walls?" He asked himself again, "Were you inside the monsters that circled the town!?"

I guess the choppers appeared like monsters to them. “Yes, we were.” I answered.

“H-HOW DID YOU TAME SUCH CREATURES!?” He asked.

"That, I cannot tell." I said.

"I see, well then. Is there really no way for us to enter the town?" He inquired.

I do want to form some cordial relationship with other nations so they can back us up and recognize our independence.

I didn't reply immediately, I took Leah's squad and went down the walls instead. I ordered my men to open the gates. The commander outside was surprised once the gates were fully open.

“I think it’s better to talk like this instead of shouting at each other, don’t you agree?” I said to the still surprised commander. I could also see some cavalrymen rushing to him. Crap, did they think we'll be attacking their commander!?

“Uhmm, yes. It would be better like this.” the commander managed to reply, but it seems like he still didn’t notice the men rushing to his side.

"So, can you please stop your men from charging?" I asked. "I really can't focus when I see some knights coming at me with their couched lances."

With my words, the commander turned around and saw the charging knights. He immediately raised his hands and the knights slowly came to a stop. They managed to stop a few meters behind the commander. “What were you thinking!?” The commander shouted at his knights.

“W-we thought they would attack you as soon as they opened the gates, your royal highness.” one of the knights answered. Wait, royal highness? Isn’t that title reserved for crown princes and princesses!?

"They weren't about to attack me. They just wanted to talk." The 'prince' said to them before turning back to us, "Isn't that right?"

"Yeah." I replied, "About letting you inside the town. I don't think we can let you enter if it's just you and 200 of your men. The rest of your army can camp along the walls."

He placed his hand on his chin and pondered for a while before replying, "That's fine with us."

"Your Royal Highness! What if they attack you!?" One knight voiced his concern.

"They won't." The 'prince' answered.

"How are you certain of it, your royal highness?" The knight asked.

"They need us to recognize their independence. Am I right?" He said with a small smile.

Damn, this guy is sharp. "It is as you say." I replied honestly.

"See, now go back and assemble 2 knight squadrons and tell them to go here." The prince ordered his knights.

The knights reluctantly went back to their army. Is it really okay to leave your prince alone? "Is it fine to leave the crown prince alone?" I asked.

"It's fine, you're not hostile right?" The prince asked.

"You're right, can we have a talk later?" I asked.

"Yes, I also wanted to have a talk with you anyways. Well, I'll need to head back to my army now." He replied before leading his horse to his forces.

We watched him until he made it to his own forces. Once we saw that he returned safely, we also went back to the plaza while we left the gate open. I did station a squad to guard there though.

We met up with the squad at the plaza and dragged the prisoners along and went to the manor. Upon reaching the manor’s gates, we saw the carnage within. Damn, my spec ops really let loose, huh? Dead bodies litter the courtyard and upon entering the mansion itself. We saw bodies in the hallways which either had bullets in their heads or a cut in their necks.

I had my men gather all the dead in the courtyard where we’ll burn them off later. It took some time for the engineers to dig a hole that could fit all the dead bodies. The regular infantry even helped digging. At the same time they were finished, I received a report from the squad guarding the gates. Apparently the prince and around 100 or more of his knights had assembled at the gates and were waiting to be let in. Didn't I leave the gates open so they could come in? I asked if they closed the gates but my men said no. I wonder why they won’t come in.

When I asked them the reason, they answered that the prince was waiting for me. Urgh, I don't want to walk all the way there again. So I summoned a jeep and had Leah come with me. I summoned several jerry cans of gas and ordered the flamethrower unit to begin burning the dead before we left.

It only took us a few minutes to reach the eastern gates, there we saw the prince and a hundred or so of his knights. They were arranged in a way that looks magnificent but still intimidating. I hopped out of the jeep and the prince made his horse go forward and stopped in front of me where he dismounted.

He removed his gauntlet and reached out his hand to me, “I am Joshua von Elyu, Crown Prince of the Principality of Elyu.”

I returned his greeting and shook his hand, “I am Ian Gabriel, leader of Parabellum.”

“You look too young for a leader of a state.” He said.

“I’m not that young, you know. I just turned 19 last month.” I replied.

“I see, I thought you were a bit younger, but we’re actually the same age.” he replied.

WTF!? HE’S LEADING HIS OWN ARMY AT 19!? Not that I’m one to talk and we’re in a medieval world, so yeah. Wait scratch that, he’s 19?? He looks more mature than me.

"I thought you were older." I said, "No offense though."

"None taken." He replied as he released my hand. "Now then, I have assembled 2 squadrons of knights and some of my most trusted confidants. May we now enter the town?"

"Ah yes, why didn't you enter anyways?" I asked. "I did leave the gates open, right?"

"That you did, but we did not want to enter without your permission." He replied.

"I did leave the gates open, and that should've meant you already have my permission to enter." I said.

"Maybe, but it's still better to wait for the leader of the victorious side. Isn't it?" He replied.

"Okay, let's head to the mansion now. My men should be finished cleaning it up now." I said.

"Cleaning it up? Did something happen there?" He asked.

"Something did happen. My men did their jobs so well and left dead bodies in their wake. So I had them clean up the mansion." I answered.

"I see. Now then, lead us to the mansion." He said before mounting his horse.

I also hopped on the jeep and ordered my men to close the gates once the prince's whole group had already entered. After giving the order, I told the driver to go and we led the prince’s procession through the town until we reached the mansion. The prince was looking surprised at my jeep all the while.

Upon arriving at the mansion’s courtyard, we saw a blazing flame on one corner with my men surrounding it. I guess they’re not yet done burning the bodies. I ordered the driver to stop near the burning pit and the prince followed behind.

I hopped out of the jeep and went to my men. I looked behind and the prince also dismounted his horse before following me. "What are your men burning?" He asked.

"The dead bodies." I answered but kept my eyes on the flames. There was just something about it that looked amazing, I just can't explain it.

"I see." He said.

We stood there and watched until the flames were gone. It was fully dark once the flames were out.

The prince tapped my shoulder, "My men have already finished setting up our camp."

"Huh? Oh yeah, let's have our talks later." I replied and promptly left.

The prince looked surprised but I paid him no mind and continued to the mansion. My men also followed after me.

+ + + + +

At the same time, Ian’s friends were still on their way to Nareña aboard the helicopter. Silence continued inside as everyone aboard looked at Cess full of worry. She hasn’t talked to anyone since she was returned to the cellar. As everyone looked upon Cess with worry, Rika was glaring at the maid.

The SAS teams brought the maid along since she did not fight back. And they thought that she could provide some information. The maid readily agreed to join them and provide some information. That was why she was aboard the chopper along with Ian’s friends.

The maid who was being glared at didn’t seem to care about that since she was too busy admiring the view outside. Not anyone in this world can just freely soar the skies like she was experiencing right now. So instead of worrying about Rika’s glare, she instead chose to just enjoy the novel experience.

This made Rika even more irritated but she still had reason within her to stop her from attacking the maid. She instead went to Cess’ side and tried to comfort her. Even with Rika at her side, Cess still remained expressionless.

Her classmates were exchanging whispers like “What do you think happened to her?” but when Rika glared at them, they became silent.

Thus, their journey to Nareña remained quiet and uneventful.

+ + + Ian + + +

Morning rays streamed through the window. Wait, it’s morning already!? I sat up and rubbed my eyes. What happened yesterday? I only remember parting with the prince and nothing more.

I got up and washed my face before donning my officer's tunic. I went outside and was greeted by two soldiers with a salute. Leah was also there so I asked her what happened yesterday. She said that I refused to eat dinner and just went straight to the bedroom. Is that why I feel so hungry?

I went to the makeshift mess and had a large serving of breakfast. That was satisfying. Afterwards, I went back to Leah and asked her to escort me to the Prince’s camp. Outside, we saw a bunch of tents with the biggest and most magnificent one at the center.

The knights who were already out of their tents gave way once they saw us. Is it alright for them to just let me go to their crown prince? Well, they’re letting me go, so I guess it’s fine.

We continued until we reached the biggest tent. There were 2 knights standing guard, but when they saw me, they gave way and let us in. Inside was a fully furnished chamber which was truly fit for a royal.

In the middle of the tent was a long table where the prince was currently eating his breakfast. Behind him are two more knights and a butler looking man. “Good Morning to you, Sir Ian.” He said after chewing the food in his mouth.

“Good day to you too, Crown Prince of the Principality of Elyu.” I replied.

“Now then, what brings you to my tent early in the morning?” He asked.

“Sorry for just leaving you yesterday.” I said with a slight bow of my head.

“Is that all? If so, then you’re forgiven.” He said as he stood up and gave his plate to the butler.

“That is not all.” I replied, “We’ve also come here to negotiate.”

“Very well, let us have our talk.” He said before ordering the two knights behind him to go out leaving the butler alone with him.

The butler ushered Leah and I to the empty chairs so I sat down. Leah on the other hand refused to sit and just stood behind me just like the butler stood behind the prince.

“Now then, Sir Ian of Parabellum. Let us begin our talks.” He said.

And with those words, the negotiation to gain and recognize my town’s independence began.

7