Ch. 5 You’ve Got To Be Kidding
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Greer managed to get back to sleep after her run-in with the police. She woke up a lot earlier than she was used to but, instead of being annoyed, she enjoyed the chance to have some alone time. She enjoyed an early shower and some breakfast alone before hearing a peculiar knock on the door; who would be here at this hour? Surely this was some kind of joke, but when she checked she saw that there were some packages on the porch. The only labels they had were address information, Johanna's name, and some barcodes, no company names or return addresses. Greer took them inside and opened them, only for her heart to quickly sink upon seeing the insides. It was a bunch of cosplay supplies, to dress up as a witch. Two matching witch costumes, the robes were baggy enough to be a one size fits all so there wouldn't be much fuss about their differing body types. Unbelievable. Johanna not only wanted to keep up with this disaster witch garbage, but she wanted to do it in costume? The police were here last night and... Costumes... They're going to stick out like sore thumbs with bloody bricks! Greer contemplated burning the costumes and saying she hadn't seen them, hopefully that would at least make Johanna think twice about this. She picked up the boxes and put them in the living room, looking over the very large hats in more detail as she did. These are nice costumes at least, she... Wow, these must have been expensive. Greer reached in to touch the robes, they felt silky smooth, they'd feel heavenly to wear. Before she knew it, she lifted one of the two hats out of the box and tried it on, it looked very silly but it almost felt right to wear it. Her eyes widened, shocked with herself as she lifted the hat off and returned it to the box, "no..." she said aloud despite being alone. She didn't like this, she didn't want to do it, this was crazy and that's the end of it.

Upstairs, Johanna woke up at her normal time and started to shower as she normally would. The sound of the shower made Greer jump but it also gave her an idea. She went upstairs and barged into Johanna's bathroom just as she did to Greer before. Johanna took it well, peeking out from around the curtain with a confused smile, "honey you know it's polite to knock first."

Greer sighed harshly, perhaps a bit too harsh, not fully genuine but she needed to get her point across. "Those witch costumes are here already," she had hoped her tone would sell how upset she was about this, but Johanna either didn't get the hint or didn't care.

"Really? Express shipping wasn't a joke!" She said excitedly before turning off the shower and boldly stepping out fully nude in front of Greer, whom quickly covered her eyes and blushing face with her hands. "We have to try them on, come on, how are you not already wearing one?"

"We really shouldn't do this..." Greer stammered through a gap between her palms as Johanna wrapped herself in a towel and walked behind Greer to the upstairs hallway, going directly to the living room. It took Greer a moment to realize Johanna just walked right past her, by time she exited the bathroom to join Johanna in the living room it was too late. The witch costume was dawned, the black robe easily covered her whole body, only her hands and face were visible, the baggy sleeves were made to hug at the wrists so they wouldn't be open to the elements constantly. She looked like a story-book witch, except she had a very fair complexion. Greer was awe-struck. How did she put this costume on so fast? Did she research it ahead of time? "You're not going to work in that, it's not even October..."

Johanna did a few twirls to see the robes fluff out and spin with her movements, very freeing garment that breathes well. "I'm only going to wear this on Disaster Witch business, you should try yours on too, come on you'll look sexy in it" Johanna lifted up the other set of robes as she approached Greer.

She shook her head quickly, "we're going to be late for work at this rate! Come on... Go put on some normal clothes so we can-"

"Please? At least promise me you'll try it on when we get home from work, Greer please?" Johanna sounded a bit pouty, in a playful, pretend to be a child way. Greer sighed, then slowly worked up a nod.

"I'll try it on when we get home okay? Now it's my turn, please go get dressed," she stated matter-of-factly. Johanna did a small jump for joy, not wanting to jump too high and get her robes caught under her own feet. The two of them finished getting ready for work and went to their job as if it was a normal day. Nothing strange happened at the gas station, Claire didn't visit, no one tried to shoplift, and no new disasters were brought to their attention. Greer was able to forget what had happened yesterday, at least for a few hours, she was genuinely happy being in her old life if only for a moment. Newfound appreciation for the small things aside, the work day came to an end and the girls returned home. Half way back Greer remembered she promised to play dress-up, which Johanna didn't let her forget. After they shared a dinner, both of them dressed as witches together. Greer couldn't hide how much she liked the costume, not for what it meant, but for how it felt; she was only wearing underwear beneath the robes so whenever they brushed up against her bare form she'd practically start tingling with how good they felt, meanwhile Johanna loved looking like a witch. Both of them were enjoying the costumes for their own reasons, but that enjoyment was heavily dampened when Greer decided to speak up again. "Johanna we need to have a talk, it's really important that we don't... Do that ever again, understand?"

Johanna shook her head, "I did what was right, Claire would be dead right now if it wasn't for me," as much as Greer didn't want to admit it, it was probably true. Claire had painkillers, a knife, probably a lighter, and she was in a dirty old building with a bunch of trash everywhere. It'd be hard to stay alive in a place like that, one unlucky trip and you might fall on a dirty needle.

"You hit a girl in the head with a brick, and you did it so hard that-"

"That her brain was visible, yeah, I know, and I fixed it, because I get things done," Johanna's confidence didn't make much sense, she did something right on pure accident yet she treats it like she's god's gift to the world. "And I'm going to keep helping people the same way."

"You're not hitting another person with a brick, you're going to kill someone," Greer pleaded to whatever might be left of Johanna's moral compass.

"Well of course I'm not going to hit just anyone with a brick, that would never work on every problem, come on Greer give me a little credit," Johanna's words fell on deaf ears, that defense was poor and insane.

"You didn't know it would work this time! And it sounds like a brick was overkill, she just needed a knock in the head to forget how to commit suicide, you probably didn't need to break her skull open!" The argument raged on, Greer was refusing to admit that Johanna did a good thing, even if that was true she didn't want any sense of pride to start growing on this subject.

The girls yelled at each other for a good while, mostly bringing up the same few points over and over until it finally occurred to Greer to ask, "say, did you know the brick would work?" To her surprise, Johanna nodded.

"I don't know why I knew it but... As I thought about Claire and her issue I just thought... Brick," Johanna's expression sold it, she was being serious, she just guessed brick and it was right.

"So... The Disaster Witches are going to just... Keep guessing right forever?" Greer asked with a defeated tone.

"Yep"

1