chapter 6 – Cosy cave
226 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘Could anemone immunity be helpful?... Seems like that is not a question it can answer. I guess “what are anemones?” and “how many corals does this protect me against?” are also questions it can not answer… Seems like I am right. One is a subjective question, and the others require extra information. I might as well get it, it could be as helpful as the teeth on my tentacles.’

A mental flex later, it could not really be described as a thought but more of an impression combined with an intention. My skin shifted accommodating something extra.

I took a look at myself, I was very flexible so that is doable. My skin was brown, seafloor brown. I had four tentacles with on the last one fourth is teeth instead of suction cups. I had a round octopus-like head and circular squid-like eyes. The tentacles were about as long as the rest of my body. I had two siphons to propel me through the water. A singular strong and sharp beak in the center of my tentacles. My gills also ended in that space.

That was about it for my appearance.

I threw a quick look outside, it was getting darker. I looked up to not mistake another plant eclipse.

‘Truly it is getting dark, I think this day was about eight hours long? Seems like a normal day night cycle. Not sure how it goes with seasons but we deal with that when we get there. Let me look from the safety of my cave at what the nightlife here is. I know enough horror stories about the ocean to know that what resides in the darkest depths is what you should be afraid of. I also know via some nature documentaries that some of those beings from the depths rise up to the surface at night.’

Most of the smaller fishes had already disappeared and the fishes up to 1 S1O had dwindled in numbers.

I looked to the surface, the sky beyond the ocean surface was orange and to the way my cave exits even some purple colors.

‘So that is where the sun goes under. That would mean that it is the west. The kelp forest is in the northeast. The place with the big fish is in the south west, the hills are directly in front of my to the west and reach to about my north west. I can not see if the hills and kelp touch one another beyond the blue of the ocean. And to my southeast is more coral reef. That should be the direction I am for now using to hunt.’

I made a small mental map and if I could carve out stone I would have made a real map to look at.

I saw a swirling cloud come into existence above the hills in the distance the cloud existed out of blue and white spinning around the center. The cloud was just under the water surface and about 1 S1O big.

‘That looks dangerous. Why would one enter that?’

One small brave shark stupidly moved to that cloud. The shark moved through the cloud probably looking for food. When that shark was fully in that cloud, the cloud disappeared with the shark inside of it.

‘No body left for me to eat that is unfortunate.’

I saw two more clouds like that appear and eat another two sharks. They left once again no body. The clouds had different sizes so different sized sharks used them to spirit themselves away.

‘So stupid why do that, you have seen your other comrades die by that thing yet you willing run into them?’

I distracted myself by looking at the reefs nightlife. I saw some jelly fish together with some other fish come from the place where the big fish ate that floating plant island.

‘I really hope to not see that fish again.’

A school of big fish came above the reef to take some sleep. Seeing as fishes and beasts exist that can eat entire schools in a bite you want some shallower water to rest easier. The fishes seemed to be carnivorous as they scared the sharks into staying in the hilly area with the swirling clouds. They even ate two sharks.

‘No going out at night. Got it, fishes that would make me into a snack will arrive en masse.’

Later a few more schools arrived at the reef. I looked around and could not see any fish native to the reefs.

After looking at all the fishes that arrived at the reef I decided to go to sleep and continue tomorrow with my hunt.

-----

I sat on a couch together with Space Doggo, we were playing a fun multiplayer game. She held back in order to have a fun time with me. I was on the losing hand however.

I was winning the game against my sister. She tried her best to beat me however I was merciless. I did explain however what I was doing and why I was doing things and she looked eager to learn.

I am sitting with my sister on a hospital bed looking out of the window at a sundown. This was the last sundown we could ever see together. She entrusted her full body weight to me but still felt so incredibly light. Her breath was very shallow. I opened my mouth to wish her goodbye.

I told during a company wide meeting that we should do more for the climate. We were losing potential customers that died because of global warming. I got thanked for my advice and they would think about it. But I knew that it would not be thought about again. I got depressed.

Depressed, I walked home in rainy weather. I had my earphones without any music to block out any and all noise from the people and news around me. I played a simple minded game on my phone not even truly processing what was around me. I got caught up by a wave of water.

I could breathe underwater and swam above a big and colorful reef. My swimming skill was horrible, if I do say so myself. I swam to the edge of the reef and before I knew it.

In front of me was the gigantic fish. The fish had teeth 4 times my size and ate me whole, it turned dark around me and I glided through its throat. I suddenly realized.

‘This is a dream. I want to wake up. How does one do that?’

I threw myself to the dark walls around me trying to harm myself. That did not work. I thought deep and tried to pinch myself. That did work and I woke up in my dark cave a few hours before dawn.

11