Chapter 1: Monkey
172 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

    Do you know how they said the human body can survive without water for three or four days? Well, I just proved that wrong or something cause I didn't have an ounce of water since I ate those berries. I didn't feel the need to. I think I might very well be going insane and my brain is telling me that I don't need water and I'll just drop dead any second or I'm getting my water from blood or when I am blacked out. I'm thinking more down the ladder. Don't know if that is good or not but as long as I don't just die all of a sudden I'm good.

      I'm lucky the cave is keeping the ice encasing Selicia cold enough that the ice wasn't melting. How am I surviving such a climate? Don't know. I mean it is cold but not cold enough to keep me from sleeping or walking. Speaking of walking I tried walking on two legs and my back roared in pain. I mean I did it but damn that was painful.

      It wasn't as painful now and I can switch between the two but I still am preferring four-legged instead of two. Quadrupedal was the word, right? Well, no one's gonna say otherwise since no one is here.

      My leg was better. All it took was a couple of hours of sleep and wala! Healed! Thank you human physiology! That is the word, right

      I noticed that it was harder to think of big words. On the fifth day, or today, I just found remembering or trying to be annoying. Really bloody annoying. It was like something making fun of me every time I tried to remember and then forget.

Ack! Just thinking about it bloody makes me want to kill something! Where is there a deer?

      I once killed a buck. Day four. I ripped his throat out and dragged it back to my cave. I told Selicia all about it. If she wasn't frozen I'm sure she would be proud.

      I checked to see what I had killed it with and to see if my fingernails were broken but they weren't. They were covered with blood so I couldn't see anything of their condition of course but who cares. I still blackout when I return home and the thing is still there eating with me. I don't care. Why bother caring? It does nothing to improve my situation anyway.

      Days go by and soon the herd of deer moved to a valley trying to hide from me. I took pleasure out of that. Not gonna lie.

      I was perched on a rock on the mountain surrounding the valley when I heard a sound. I spun around, snarling, a slightly more frightful sound, and was instantly tackled by what I can only assume was a mountain lion. We grappled and I bit off its right ear and slashed its left shoulder before it slammed my head down on the rocky ground. I snarled and kicked its belly, sending the cat flying. The mountain lion landed on all fours just in time to get tackled by me. I bit its throat but a claw swipe at my face connected and I let go. Then the cat bit my shoulder and pinned me down and it bit my throat before I could guard it.

      Now, normally I'd be dead. But I wasn't stupid. When I said normally I meant normal people. I knew what to do. I stabbed the cat in the eyes with my thumbnails. The cat shook its head but I didn't care. I ignored the pain and started chuckling. I then pushed deeper. The cat let go of my throat with a roar and jumped back. When it opened its eyes there were big holes in them. I got up slowly and shook myself off before flashing a smile.

Thought I was easy prey, ehh? I fight back, cat! For a cat, you're kinda dumb.

      I walked forward, grinning. The cat let out one yelp before turning and running away. I gave chase of course.

"Oh no you don't, you overgrown Cat!"

      That's what the cat was. Not a mountain lion or whatnot but an overgrown cat. And that cat is my prey. You don't just get to attack me and run away.

      I chased the cat down and the moment it spun around realizing that even on its own turf it can't escape me was the moment I raked down on its face. (It also was kinda blind now too) The cat let out a yelp, stunned and blinded. By the time it looked to where I was I had already got my left hand under its throat and my right hand over its shoulder like a chokehold. However, I wasn't gonna strangle it, no, I just slit its throat.

      My fingernails tore through the cat's flesh. It flailed around and I jumped back. I waited until its flailing stopped and with a shudder, it went limp. Guess I'm having cat tonight.

      With a chuckle, I grabbed the cat and started dragging it home. Selicia is gonna love this story!

….

      It came to my attention that I had a bunch of bodies in my cave. Though I don't smell them I'm sure Selicia does. The cat was delicious but I prefer the deer better. The cat tastes gamey. What does gamey even mean? Who cares. I just can't describe that taste but what does gamey taste like?

And I'm rambling off again. Great.

      I felt like something was off with me but I didn't know what. Then again why did I care? I myself said that being a little off was better. And I know that I don't know best but no one else is around to tell me otherwise.

"Don't worry Selicia, I'll clean this up for you."

      I started humming a song that I forgot the name of while piling up the bodies on a corner. Next was the bones and scrapes. I took the skulls and placed them around as decoration. Then I took the cat skull and placed it by the bed I made from leftover pelts. Yes, I ate the fur too. Maybe the reason I'm not dead is that I'm eating small amounts of raw meat. That's probably it.

      I kept one deer out and went to sleep. When I woke up again I found myself eating the deer corpse. I was eating it raw, ripping off pieces and breaking bones in my mouth paying no heed to my inner turmoil. I ate and ate until the remains were gone.

      After I broke free of the trance I looked around. No one was there. Nothing was there. Not even a sign that something had been there.

      The moment I realized that I was the one eating the corpse I threw up. The raw meat was dissolved but I could tell that it was a lot I just hurled. I sat down and started crying.

….

      I found myself stalking a tall figure when I woke up….and I felt really really hungry.

….

Dissension

….

      I stared at the tall figure for a while. A fog or more of a mist had settled in making visibility low but I still saw him.

      Yeah Him. I could tell it was a male. Thick muscles, not much hair, no hourglass hips or whatever. Definitely a male...a human male.

Ack shit! I'm drooling.

      My stomach wasn't rumbling but the pain that clawed at me and the smell of this guy's blood was making me go crazy. If this guy didn't give me food there is a good chance I might snap and eat him. And I definitely don't want to do that. If I do that then I'm a murderer and a cannibal.

You sure that's a human?

Are you sure? He looks like a human to me.

Monkeys exist you know.

Monkeys?

        My stomach pain increased and soon began to numb. My mind, my body, both of them began to numb. I was hungry.

That ain't a monkey! Monkeys don't even live in America!

Yes, they do.

They do?

Yep.

      I still didn't want to think about it. I shook my head and tried to approach him but instead, I slinked forward like I'm about to pounce. If I approach him like this I'm gonna either scare the hell out of him or he's gonna think I'm insane and crazy.

The fact that I didn't take a bath won't help either. My clothes are covered in blood and so am I.

Monkeys don't worry about your appearance. They're food.

That is not a huma-I mean Monkey!

Not so much. Right now that monkey is food. To protect Selicia you must survive first. I mean look, what kind of a human would be out here crouching down by a frozen lake. Look, he's even drinking it!

You're right. Wait...no. Isn't that a human?

Is it? Where is a flashlight, backpack, and talking?

….it's a monkey?

Nothing but food.

Really?

      My heart was pounding and my mind was going crazy, not settling on one thought for a second.

You're not lying to me, right?

Would you lie to yourself?

….It's prey, right?

As long as you consider it prey. For Selicia you must eat and must survive.

Yeah...to me...this monkey is prey.

      I slink through the bushes and frosted ferns before breaking out of cover at a full sprint. I tackled him before he could even turn around. I bit deeply into his shoulder and dug my finger into his side. The coat put up some resistance at first but my fingernails went through anyway. The monkey let out a yell and elbowed me. I ignored the pain and bit him all over. He fell over, slamming me on the ground. I lost my breath for a moment but wasn't stunned. He just left himself wide open. My left hand shot up and grabbed his throat. With a giggle, I whispered, "Game over." before ripping out his throat relatively easily. Much easier than deer and that overgrown cat.

      I kicked him off of me and leaped into the air before landing perfectly on all fours watching the monkey's final death throes. I let out a small smile.

"Don't worry monkey. I need you to die so I can survive and protect Selicia. She is just a perfect angel. She should be out here instead of me but oh well. I am instead so I'm gonna stay with her until the bitter end."

      I leaned forward and stared at his blue eyes and chubby face and his...red beanie?

"So I'm sorry for ending your life but I'm starving. No matter how many deer I kill or even that overgrown mountain kittie I am starving. So sorry and goodbye."

      The man finally died. Now that I am getting a better look at him he looks awfully human.

      Before I could look any further I felt myself slip away.

….

      Is it supposed to be so cold and itchy? I took off my tank top. It was bothering me. Next was my shorts and underwear. I had already taken off my socks long ago. I thought of throwing them into the scrap pile but instead hung them up on a stalagmite which resembled a hook and wrote "my clothes" down beneath them so I could remember them. Much better.

      I woke up back in the cave again with the monkey mostly eaten. I felt much better. Barely hungry at all. It was such a nice feeling that I was sure I had gone into some kind of coma of sorts since I slept and I had a feeling almost like ecstasy during my sleep, only I wasn't actually asleep and more resting but aware at the same time, my eyes being open and my senses aware. I felt sudden pains every now and then but nothing that really hurt. In fact, I accepted it. It was the hardship of my survival, my body telling me that I am surviving. To me, that was perfectly okay.

      So when I got out of the trance and happened to see what I had eaten was in fact a human, I broke down and started crying until sleep once again came upon me. Even then my sleep was plagued with nightmares of me killing that man over and over and eating his body, before looking at Selicia with the same hungry gaze and reaching towards her body and ripping through the ice, my fingernails sharp and long, claws the accurate word to describe them, before tucking into Selicia's body.

3