Chapter 1- A Stranger in a Strange World
247 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An unnoticeable disturbance occurred in a remote corner of the magic world Grandemyr as the vault of heaven suddenly opened slightly. A ray of divine light shone through the dimensional crack, targetting a clearing in a forest of an unknown land.

The ground split under the glow of the ray, making way to an event that would seem like dark sorcery to the residents of the land, followed by a human skeleton of what seemed like a child rose from the divided ground under the light’s embrace.

Suddenly, the spotless skeleton changed as flesh grew from its bones, akin to a bud sprouting from seed. Muscles, tendons, blood vessels quickly enveloped the bones, gradually covered by beautiful white skin.

Long, lustrous black hair replaced the bald head of the now-former skeleton. While internal organs gradually filled the still-hollowed body. Light enveloped her body as a simple white dress magically covered her.

The change took a mere minute before the divine light disappeared, the cracks in the ground and in the distant sky mending like they never existed.

A seemingly ten-year-old girl now lay next to the hole’s location, peacefully sleeping. Her exquisite, perfect looks made her seem like a doll carefully crafted by a master artisan, every detail taking months to complete.

Her eyelids trembled gently before weakly opening, revealing a pair of cold black eyes that gazed sharply at the sky, fixed on the circle of ten suns that illuminated the world, confusion filling them before sudden anger suppressed any other emotions that were about to surface.

The girl instantly sprung to her feet, not so delicate words coming from her small thin mouth. “What the FUCK!”

Moving her gaze to her small hands, she coldly whispered, “traitorous fuckers.” Her apparent anger preoccupied her more than the weird situation she was in as she recalled the last memory she experienced in her former world— Earth.

She was called Kiera Ashborn, an assassin affiliated with a notorious crime syndicate. For as long as she could remember, she was trained and educated in the facilities of that cruel organization. Dirtying her hands with atrocious deeds for the sake of the organization’s future prosperity; it was the center of her life.

Yet, she was poisoned by the same people who trained and educated her. She still remembered the ridiculing look in their eyes as they gazed upon her writhing, dying self.

She stomped the ground beneath her feet repeatedly, imagining the dirt as those men’s faces while ignoring the pain in her small feet. 

Only after a while did she have enough, but in contrast to her behavior, the seasoned assassin did not entirely ignore her surroundings. She sat on the ground, gasping for air, and snorted coldly, “I fucking died, didn’t I? Hell is different than what I remember.”

Then, Kiera’s jaw threatened to dislocate as what reminded her of a screen hologram in those sci-fi movies suddenly appeared in front of her eyes. 

[The Voidborne {Kiera Ashborn} is currently in {Grandemyr}, the highest of magic worlds.]

The assassin rubbed her eyes, but the screen was still there, proving to her it was not an illusion. 

“Have I not died from the poison and simply went mad from brain damage?” she murmured.

[The Voidborne {Kiera Ashborn} has died on the hollowed world {Earth}.]

[The Voidborne {Kiera Ashborn} is currently in {Grandemyr}, the highest of magic worlds.]

The abrupt change in the screen made Kiera’s eyes widen, shocked by the words written on the screen. She sighed and decided to accept the phenomenon around her as genuine, her instincts prompting her to treat the ridiculous situation seriously.

She realized the weird screen reacted to her questions, so she asked the question she believed everyone in her shoes would ask. “What should I do now.”

[Command recommendations for the Voidborne {Kiera Ashborn}: Open Status Window.]

Kiera decided to follow the screen’s recommendation and commanded in her heart, “Open Status Window.”

The screen disappeared and reappeared again, now with far more words, familiar words that shocked Kiera more than anything.

[Name: Kiera Ashborn

Race: Human (Dimension Crosser)

Gender: Female

Age: 0 (physical age: 10)

Magician Rank: None {Mortal Lv. 1}

Attribute: None

Titles: Voidborne (command ‘Voidborne’ to show details)

General Stats:

Health: 20/20

Stamina: 40/40

Mana: N/A

Battle Stats:

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 3

Agility: 4

Wisdom: 2

Skills:

Active:

General-

{Identify Lv.1}

Passive:

General-]

“It is like a damn RPG,” Kiera chuckled peculiarly, her mind threatening to crack under the absurdity of what she saw.

The word Voidborne was shown on the screen ever since it first appeared. Thus, Kiera was naturally most intrigued by the title she was apparently given. 

‘Voidborne’

[Title: {Voidborne}

Details: Grand-Mythical class title. Exclusive to the one who transcended worlds and retained her mind under the burden of crossing countless dimensions.

Grants the following skills: 

{The Guide Lv.1} {Inventory Lv.1} {Translator Lv. Max}]

“The Guide… So this is why every question I asked prompted the screen to appear, useful.” She nodded, pleased by the other perks of the title as well.

Kiera understood she had to exploit the skill to get a picture of where she was, so her next question concerned what could be said the most important thing she noticed about the new place she was in. “Guide, explain me about magic and magician ranks.”

[Magic, a phenomenon created by the essence of life: Mana. Magic exists only in worlds categorized as {Magic Worlds.}]

[Magician Ranks are the ranks of the individuals categorized as {Magicians}— those who could harness mana to create magic. Individual {Kiera Ashborn} is only eligible to learn of the first three Magician Ranks: Apprentice, True and Skilled. Each Magician Rank is further divided into six echelons: Normal, Copper, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Diamond. Each echelon is further divided into twenty levels. ]

“Only the first three? A stingy system, though 120 levels per Rank is kinda exaggerated isn’t it? Some games only have half of that as the max level...” Kiera thought before opening her mouth again, “Guide, how do I become a magician?”

[Special title skill {The Guide} has been used to the daily limit, level up the skill to gain additional question slots.]

The screen made Kiera’s shoulders slump as she insulted out loud, “fuck.” 

“Well, such a skill could already be considered a cheat, so a limit is logical,” she shrugged. “Anyway, where the fuck am I?”

[Special title skill {The Guide} has been used to the daily limit, level up the skill to gain additional question slots.]

“Is it going to happen every time I ask a question?” Kiera said in irritation, her eyebrow raised.

[Special title skill {The Guide} has been used to the daily limit, level up the skill to gain additional question slots.]

She sighed and shook her head, “of course…” She held back herself from punching the immaterial screen, rocking her brain for solutions. Then, she remembered a certain detail from the RPGs she used to play in her free time, the only safe place she had for herself at the time.

“Deactivate The Guide!” 

[Special title skill {The Guide} has been deactivated.]

She sighed again, now in relief, and looked around, “I want to find a human settlement, but I doubt the morals are anywhere the same as in Earth… I’ll first find a safe place and wait until tomorrow, then I can ask The Guide how to become a magician.”

But, as soon as she decided on a direction, several low growls coming from behind alerted the former assassin's senses.

She didn't even hesitate, nor did she even look behind before she sprung into action, running as fast as she could into the forest. She clicked her tongue, irritated by the small legs of her new immature body and severely limited stamina.

Kiera recognized those growls; the things that aimed to hunt her were wolves. She knew that her chances were slim, as running away from those masterful pack hunters was nigh impossible even for animals twenty times her weight. Fortunately, she heard only about four growls, so the whole pack was not chasing her.

She thought it was laughable, she was in a whole new world filled with sorcerers, but she was hunted by mere wolves and not some colossal fire-breathing dragon.

She zigzagged between the trees, momentarily blinding her position from the wolves. She didn't know how effective it was because their sense of smell was enough to detect her, but it was better than nothing.

However, her meager stamina pool was decreasing faster than she hoped it would, her sides starting to hurt after a few dozen meters. The grass floor also began to be replaced by muddy, slippery ground, forcing Kiera to exert more effort to balance herself.

Looking behind her, she noticed the wolves were nowhere to be seen, the beasts probably hidden by the close gathering of ridiculously thick tree trunks. Even though, she had no doubt they were locked down on her scent.

“Scent…” Kiera thought of the fact and an idea formed in her mind, she could never outrun an apex predator for long, so her only option was to hide. Immediately rolling on the mud to blur her scent, she jumped into a thick bush and sat incredibly still.

Soon, the wolves reached near Kiera’s hiding spot, letting her get a good look at what they looked like, prompting the former assassin to almost let out a gasp in surprise. The beasts that chased her were indeed wolves, sharing the shape, thick fur, and voice of a wolf back on Earth.

However, their size which rivaled an adult lioness was almost two times that of the largest wolf species on Earth. 

[Tier 0 Lv.6 Gray Wolf]

[Tier 0 Lv. 4 Gray Wolf]

[Tier 0 Lv. 5 Gray Wolf]

[Tier 0 Lv. 2 Gray Wolf]

“So that’s why they struggled to catch me, their bodies are too big to run at full speed in this dense forest,” Kiera thought and sighed in relief in her heart, she did give her all to run away, but in her subconscious, she was actually surprised she has not been shredded apart within the first ten meters.

Counting the seconds in her head while waiting, thirty whole minutes passed before the wolves stopped sniffing around and left. Waiting for another five minutes to be sure, Kiera left the bush upon seeing the danger passed.

“Persistent bastards,” she cursed while wiping the mud from her face and clicked her tongue at her own inability. Much less having a gun, she didn’t even possess a small knife to gather herbs.

Being devoid of any weapon bothered her a lot, but the hunger that started budding within her bothered her more. She looked around but was unable to find any fruits or edible herbs, but luckily, the ground’s dampness and green vegetation signified there was a water source nearby.

A water source meant there could be fish or other small animals drinking, but also predators she preferred not to meet. But dying from being eaten was better than dying slowly from starvation, so Kiera decided to head to that water source.

Concentrating her senses, Kiera hoped the water source was a river and not a still one such as a lake. Fortunately, she soon caught the faint sound of a stream and immediately began walking toward it, while also keeping strict awareness of her environment.

Several minutes later, she arrived at the river and observed the scene from a nearby bush. Seeing there were no brown bears ambushing salmon and only some birds drinking and fishing, Kiera sighed in relief and approached the river.

The water was crystal clear but Kiera opted not to directly drink it as she didn’t know what kind of bacteria this world had to offer.

Boiling it was the easy part, however, the problem was she had no tool to scoop the water with. Sighing to the sky, her eyes suddenly fixated on the towering trees.

Everything in this world was bigger than on Earth, its size, the wolves, the number of suns, and even the trees. Each of the trees was at least one hundred meters tall, and such a tree's leaves got to be huge as well.

Kiera looked around the tree trunks, picking up some sticks and dead plants on her search. Soon enough, she indeed located three leaves, each one was three times her size.

Bringing the things to a hidden empty spot about in the middle of some bushes, Kiera gathered some rocks in the river’s coast and after a while of struggle, the friction of two sticks created a small bonfire from the dead plants and sticks she collected. Then, she took one of the thicker sticks and coated its tip with dead plant parts which she tightened with a flower stem, creating a torch.

Quickly putting out the fire so her position would remain hidden, Kiera approached another tree trunk, gazed at the immensely long green vines which covered it and nodded in content. 

[Green Vine]

Confirming it was indeed a simple green vine and not a huge ass bundle of snakes, Kiera proceeded to heat a corner of the vine with the torch. Such a green vine would certainly possess an incredible amount of moisture, so she didn’t worry about the fire spreading.

Minutes later, the area she heated dried, making it easy for her to tear a section of the vine from the trunk. She repeated the action another twenty-one times, obtaining a bundle of twenty-one, meter-long vines.

Returning to her small, hidden camp, Kiera instantly got into work. Using the vines and sticks, she created four tablets by tying the sticks together with veins, while leaving a small gap between each stick. 

Tying the tablets together into a shape of a box, Kiera reignited the fire and put the box above it. Like this, the smoke would leave through the small gaps, causing it to scatter instead of creating a cloud that’d compromise her position while not choking the flames.

The moistened vines also blocked the flame from burning the wood cover, which was twice the size of the bonfire just in case. 

“I’m a genius,” she chuckled with a wide grin, satisfied with her spontaneous creation. Lifting the cover a little, she threw several rocks into the fire and proceeded to craft a weapon.

Taking the thickest and longest stick she had, Kiera took two rocks and attached them to each side of its edge with a vine, creating a makeshift stone club.

Swinging it around to see it fit her, she sighed and mumbled, “with no knives to sharpen wood, I can only settle on blunt weapons.”

Confirming nothing dangerous came when she was busy, she approached the river and put her bait inside the water. The bait was simple, a flower stem tied to a vine she lightly wriggled with her wrist to make it seem like a living worm.

The artificial worm proved tempting to the fish, as several approached, not noticing Kiera’s club above them ready to strike.

As quick as she could, she brought it down on the largest fish’s body, the rocks flatting the middle of its body upon contact.

[Tier 0 Lv.1 Herring defeated, EXP received.]

“Oh? EXP?” Kiera’s eyebrows raised at the sudden message, slightly flabbergasted at the word.

“Well I should’ve expected it,” she shook her head and looked at the fish in her hands with a smile. 

“Anyway, dinner is finally secured, ” she said and rubbed her growling stomach, which started to pain from the hunger and returned to her camp. 

She carefully tore the fish into the two, its flattened midsection making it an effortless task and cleaned it. Then, she tied the severed fish parts with a vine, lifted the cover and inserted the vine through the cover’s ceiling, hanging the fish right above the fire.

Now she only needed drinkable water and her little camp will be completed. Folding a leaf’s edges and poking holes in them with her fingers, she inserted two vines she had through the holes to hold the folded edges in place.

The fish was ready to eat by the time she returned from the river, so Kiera scattered the fire and placed the rocks she heated inside the leaf by using two sticks. The water immediately boiled upon making contact with the terrifyingly hot rocks and cooled down by the time she finished eating.

Time flew by fast while Kiera worked, and unknowingly, night already descended, with it also the cold. She took the two remaining leaves and attached them with the last vines she had, creating a sleeping bag.

Inserting her whole body into it, in a way even her head was not visible, she fell asleep.

10