#8 – Cheat Me If You Can
37 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Renatus. Light novel version of “Birth in Moonlight” manga © 2021 by ReGaSLZR.
Adapted from TenkoSama9’s “Birth in Moonlight” from deviantART.

This is a work of fiction. Resemblances to actual names of people, places, organizations or events are unintended or purely coincidental.

-----------------------------------

If you wish to read the oneshot manga, here’s the link: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/birth-in-moonlight/list?title_no=156245

-----------------------------------

 

 

CHEAT ME IF YOU CAN

 

 

It was still dark when Ryuuji had a standoff moment with the Red-Eyed Miss Wolf. Too dark for a mortal and too ballsy for a normal hunter to take on a beast with eyes glowing so menacingly. Every fiber in his body shouted danger yet he was haughty because of the enchantments he received from a mysterious witch. First was rapid healing. And now, a blazing feeling in his fists. It felt like he could take her on. Take anyone on, for that matter. The distress signals his mortal body he fully ignored.

He smiled so wide at his prey. And he was the apex predator. This werewolf was nothing but another plaything. A slave he would claim along with his client.

With a click, he reloaded his firearm with a magazine full of silver rounds.

She might be able to speak the common tongue. She might be one of the extremely rarely encountered female werewolves. She might be able to shift to human form – and with a voluptuous body at that. But she took too long to heal even under the light of the full moon. That alone was his advantage over her.

He aimed on her chest with his Ruger. The night was dark but his mortal hunter vision was sharp. Made even sharper and clearer by yet another enchantment – night vision. He could see her clearly now. Her frame, her heat signature, her murderous aura. He was gifted with the eyes of a nocturnal predator. The dark clouds that blocked the moonlight was of no bother to a mortal like him at all.

He sniggered, ‘This witch helping me out… Whoever she is, she wants me to win so bad. Who wouldn’t? I’m on the side of humanity. Fuck werewolves and other beasts. This one, I literally will.’

BANG!

His prey evaded his silver bullet. Effortlessly. But it was only a test shot from him. A test that revealed the werewolf was aware of his enchantments, his silver rounds and her weakness as a slow-healer. A weakness he would exploit.

‘Keh. The changing of her eyes from mortal-like to monstrous is of no significance.’

He eased his posture, turning doubly haughty as she gave off a serious, deadly look with her gleaming dilated pupils. Oddly, instead of being scared, the scruffy hunter felt aroused that he took off his cloak to cool himself down, “Well, well. Am I to presume that you want to get it on with me before anything else? I’m feeling so hot already. I hope you’re ready for my gun.

“And am I to presume that those are your final words?” A beastly snarl on every word, Red-Eyed Miss Wolf countered. Her voice sounded as menacing as her expression that the distress signals his body detected came surfacing back up.

“Ohhh, feisty!” He steadied his heart coolly, unwilling to admit that she just sent a shiver down his mortal spine. “I’ll just rape you once I subdue you with silver bullets then. But before that, care to tell me your name, Wolf? If you have any.” In the back of his mind, he was formulating a plan to subjugate her. Or at least, he was trying to.

Her name is…” She paused for a second. She appeared to hesitate answering a simple question.

He was puzzled at how she just addressed herself in third person. But for once, he copied Hajime in having some deductions, ‘First, it was Rika. Now her. What is it with women unwilling to say their own names?’

Then, like him, she eased her posture and he didn’t like how she sent more shivers down his spine with her response, “…Serra of the House of Remus. But you may call me Death,” she extended her arm to his direction with her claws mysteriously now dripping with blood. Fangs out, she flashed him a monstrous smile and motioned him to come forward, “Please, cheat me if you can.”

“Nice wordplay from a pathetic bi–” He halted in mid-sentence as his proud brain just registered what she said. Her name. ‘No… fucking… way,’ he muttered nervously. It dawned on him, as the moonlight shone down again on them, that he made a mistake for not factoring in her identity.

‘Fuck! FUCK! FUCK!’ He wanted to end the standoff outright and empty his gun at her but for some reason he couldn’t. “What the… WHAT THE…!”

He just noticed his whole right arm – his dominant arm – laying on the grass, severed. His shoe was red with all the splattering and dripping of his own blood from his shoulder. He didn’t feel any pain from it due to his healing enchantment. He didn’t even hear the sound of it falling.

Overtaken by both fear and panic, he bent down with the intent to reattach it to his body using his healing enchantment. It would have worked…. if still he had another arm to pick it up with.

He watched in horror as his left arm fell off of his side. He cringed and gagged and screamed. His shoulders’ cells quickly repaired themselves, his wounds were no more and there was no pain… but the mental strain she put him through was indescribable.

He just became the very definition of hopeless while she walked to him with regality in her gait. When she did reach Ryuuji – who was frozen in place, frozen in frightful shock – she grabbed hold of his throat and mercilessly tore it out like how one would pull out wires banded together in a circuit.

No sound could be heard apart from the noise of droplets of his blood falling on the grass. Like his repaired shoulder wounds, his enchantment worked its magick on his throat. But with regret and the sheer amount of mental stress dominating him, his vision started to fade and his body was about to crumble to the ground… then she caught him by the beard and propped him up.

“You were used. But… sorry not sorry,” she whispered in his ear, “You walked into this willingly.” Instantly, he heard the shattering of his ribs and felt her clawed hand squirming within him, reaching for his heart. He internally bled that blood gushed from his mouth like a waterfall.

“How’s this feel, hm?” She held his heart and suppressed its beating with an aggressive squeeze. With a swift tug, she pulled it out and snapped his veins and arteries altogether. Blood and guts splattered out of him like fireworks.

‘My… witch…! Help… me…’ trembling, he begged. His eyes watered. He soiled his pants. The embarrassment from groveling for aid consumed him that his pride as a veteran hunter was no more. He wished for a quick death. But he was a fool to think he would get it.

She laughed huskily and menacingly, “Don’t you dare leave.” Her red glowing eyes bored onto his soul like a searing torch but somehow, he could tell the message was not directed at him. She added, “We’re just getting started.”

She then laid her eyes on his still-beating heart. She looked at it with a demonic appetite.

Terrified and horrified, he managed to utter as she took a bite, “F… Fiend.” His voice was that of a squealing pig.

Werewolves. Creatures of immense strength and extreme speed. That is what hunters knew about them. Or at least, what they knew about the males.

Female werewolves, however…

Well, some would say they were far weaker and slower. Others would have you believe females had duller senses as well. Whereas, a few humans would add that because of their incompetence, they only existed for the reproduction of pureblood werewolves.

Little did this mortal know that female werewolves could be just as fearsome as males. So fearsome… that not even the strongest coven of sorcerers nor the oldest of vampires would dare to fight one directly. Especially, one with this she-werewolf’s name.

The ultimate evil herself from days of yore.

Soon enough, with a hellish flick of her claws, his torso slowly came off his waist like a tree falling to the ground with only its stump intact.

His self-healing enchantment wore off and pain finally caught up to him. The irony was that pain wasn’t even enough to define what he felt. Although, it could be compared to having encountered the final boss of a game and there was no way to reload a save nor restart from scratch.

His senses became duller and duller until there was only the cold embrace of death for him.

A satisfied smile on her face, she stared at his chopped up bloodied corpse like it was her dearly beloved trophy. “Peace and quiet. Now this is the stuff.” She closed her red eyes and extended her arms with her palms facing the sky. Her head directed upwards, she breathed in to enjoy the moment. Unfortunately, she couldn’t. She frowned upon the nastiness from the dead hunter’s pants, “Shame about the smell.”

“Anyway, Serra.” Red-Eyed Miss Wolf turned her back on her kill, ethereal chains appeared to wrap themselves on her ankle to her discomfort. “Si vis pacem, para bellum.

After a hard blink, the chains were gone and her eyes returned to their emerald radiance.

3