#9 – Hajime Renatus
44 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Renatus. Light novel version of “Birth in Moonlight” manga © 2021 by ReGaSLZR.
Adapted from TenkoSama9’s “Birth in Moonlight” from deviantART.

This is a work of fiction. Resemblances to actual names of people, places, organizations or events are unintended or purely coincidental.

-----------------------------------

If you wish to read the oneshot manga, here’s the link: https://www.webtoons.com/en/challenge/birth-in-moonlight/list?title_no=156245

-----------------------------------

 

HAJIME RENATUS

 

It wasn’t that long when Miss Wolf was engulfed by both doom and despair over the Kind Hunter’s valiance and willingness to risk his life for her and her son. She was beside herself fear with fear and panic for her inability to do anything. And it wasn’t that long when she saw him get shot in the chest multiple times.

Yet now, she stood in between two corpses, half-confused as it felt like time skipped forward… at least, for her.

Behind her were the blood, guts and torn off body parts of her molester. She herself didn’t lay her emerald pupils upon the gory sight but even so, she knew it wasn’t something to behold, judging by the bits of flesh and bone fragments under her bloodstained claws. She felt defeated as she failed to prevent this kind of violence. She committed an atrocity for taking a mortal life. Maybe not just one, but two.

Serra cast her gaze ahead and affixed it on the Kind Hunter’s lifeless body. A frown on her face, she began walking up to him with her thoughts full of self-blame and regret. The scruffy hunter was right. She herself killed this gentlemanly mortal who had his life ahead of him, but was unfortunately snuffed out on her account. He tried to protect her but in return, she got him killed. In her mind, there was no other way to put it: She was the cause of his death. She killed Hajime.

She was so wrapped up in her own guilt that she only noticed later on little Luther, her son in wolf cub form, sitting on the young hunter’s side, being weakly petted on the head.

“I didn’t… do much…” With vision blurry as steamed glass and the light slowly fading away from his mortal eyes, Hajime smiled at the concerned look on the tame cub that kept him company in his final moments. He coughed blood weakly then continued to smile just as weakly, “…but I did my best... to keep you… and your… mom… s… safe… didn’t I?”

Ears down, the pup whined at him in agreement, rubbing his head against his cold gloved palm.

Hajime forced a laugh despite another cough, repressing his own memories from flashing. `No child… should grow up… as I did… And no parent… should… die… on their kids.’ He then coughed his last sputter of blood, his gaze directed to the night sky made bright by the full moon. Sadly, he couldn’t see the beauty of the moon and stars anymore as his vision had turned pitch black. ‘I have… no… regrets…’

“AwOoOoO— ….ooooOoOo…”

To the best of his ability, Luther howled to the moon a howl… that failed miserably. His month-old lungs weren’t capable of it yet but still, he forced another howl to grieve the death of his mortal protector. 

Serra’s frown couldn’t be gloomier at the fact that the Kind Hunter’s last words were about her and her son’s safety. ‘I cannot believe this man,’ she thought to herself when she reached his gunshot-filled body. ‘He was sent as a hunter but fought as our defender.’

With one hand, she bent down to rub Luther’s back and comfort him. With the other, she closed the hunter’s blue eyes. She sighed at the close sight of his handsome face without color. ‘What happens to my promise to you now?’

The pup’s slit red pupils pleaded to her to do something. Luther nipped at the base of her thumb lightly, giving her a hint on what to do.

“I know…” She pressed her lips together in hesitation, “…but…”

She then cast a glance on Hajime’s face. The face of a complete stranger who, despite all odds against his veteran hunting partner, protected her until his last breath. He didn’t hesitate.

Claws retracted, she caressed his cheek and gently reached the side of his neck. He was cold to the touch… but not too cold yet. There was still a slight hint of warmth within, she could feel it. But in a matter of seconds, all of it would be gone if she wouldn’t act.

Luther got off the hunter and stepped aside, expecting her to do something.

‘I know it feels like the right thing to do. But… is it really?’ She carefully positioned the hunter to sit up, her expression full of doubt, ‘He won’t be the same anymore.’

‘Or…’

‘I could do “that”.’

‘…’

‘Goddess Luna, guide me.’

She let out an open-mouthed smile, fangs out. She finally caved to her son’s wish. “Of course, dearest.”

The pup whined at her for her moment of hesitation but gave a tail wag at her decision.

Her hand still on the side of his neck and an arm other across his back that was riddled with gunshots, Serra drew Hajime to a hug. “Please, accept this gift. Hajime Renatus.

She closed her eyes and nipped on the other side of his neck, allowing the special network of arteries in her fangs to transfuse some of her werewolf blood into his mortal veins.

During the act, Luther howled a smooth and successful howl to the moon. And this marked the werewolf hunter Hajime’s rebirth…

…to the delight of a certain silver-eyed sorceress.

With her tiniest pentagram on Hajime’s back, the sorceress smirked at the sight on the waters of the well – the sight of one of her hired hunters getting that close to none other than Serra of the House of Remus.

“With so many enchantments and the rare offense stat buff going unused by the veteran hunter, I thought humans always prove to be trash.” Rika flicked her raven hair to her back with a crooked expression on her otherwise pretty face. “Agent #747 Hajime Saitou, was it?”

Several hooded figures suddenly emerged behind her using a teleportation spell. Glowering, judging, damning. One of them stepped forward and spoke with a gravelly voice, “We told you it was a waste of time. The Ultimate Evil is not that easy to–”

Rudely, Rika cut him off, “Actually, she is.”

The other hooded figures started murmuring and speaking ill of her in contempt.

She turned around to face the coven of sorcerers and sorceresses – her allies – and bowed to the man who stepped forward to confront her for her purported rash actions. She proudly announced, “We may not have brought her down this night… but we now have the key to her inevitable downfall.”

All the hooded witches’ and warlock’s shadowed eyes gleamed ominously at her proclamation.

3