Chapter 199: Vault Star
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The chamber that might have been called Farander Dungeon’s inner sanctum looked...

Exactly like that place where Jamila, fellow Earth human, had been trapped in a soul gem-based computer for her own personal neverending hell.

The only meaningful differences were the stone construction and the solar light beaming out from the dungeon core at its heart.

“What’s wrong?” Ethel murmured. She’d heard Nyx’s sigh—probably everyone else had too.

“Nothing—it’s not wrong, it’s more like horribly right. Or not horribly? Unsure. I’ll explain later.”

Just a few steps in and Nyx was already feeling suspicious about what really lurked at the heart of this place.

Like Jamila’s gem, the dungeon core appeared to be a coagulate conglomerate of lots and lots of gems. There was no pedestal—the core stuck out from the wall. It looked like a disgusting heart on a massive scale, as if it might throb and pulsate. Its dominant colors were blood red and pus yellow.

Plainly it was filled with life, and through its connection with the wall, it shared that life with its dungeon.

Lark hurried ahead of the rest of the divers, with the speed and poise of an office worker. Centering herself before the core, she took a knee.

Then she announced, “Dungeon core, I’m here with a request. Can you show me where imp's paw grows?”

The core remained silent for a despairingly long time. Nyx wondered what the fuck they would do if this core turned out to be totally inert—or just willfully inattentive.

Hue remained tranquil, though. As long as he was patient and Lark was patient, the other divers figured that it was okay for them to stand and wait too. Necessary, even.

But then it happened: Lark’s head jerked upward and beams of light blasted out of her eyes. First white, then yellow and red, streaked with pale-as-death blue... Even from behind, it was clear to see, and so sudden anad odd that it was gut-wrenching. The colors of the dungeon core fused with the light, fused with her eyes, all as her body did nothing to fight it.

Minutes later, what could only be called an interaction was over. Lark rose and turned to the divers, her face euphoric. She stepped away from the dungeon core and joined the main group, knowing she didn’t need to explain everything.

But she did say, “All you have to do is offer yourself in full. Heart and soul. Don’t struggle.”

This would’ve been a difficult and crushing message for most mortals, but the divers simply nodded (and/or said “RIGHT!” very loudly). It wasn’t much different from the way that demons operated.

“Are you going to do it?” Ethel whispered to Nyx.

“Yeah, sure,” they said flippantly. “I don’t think cores have a specific vendetta against turned demons, so...probably not losing anything here.”

“But you’re nervous.”

“Mmhm.”

Nyx took a hesitant look around the room, at the other divers, and then stepped forward. The core grew larger and larger in their vision.

Once it filled their view, the voice of the dungeon entered their mind like a chilling tendril. Not even an archlord’s natural-disaster voice could compare with the fear it instilled—it was a cold beyond cold.

Nyx could tell that this wasn’t the voice of a powerful voice. Just an ancient one with some specialized tools: the power to make monsters, shift geometries, and speak threateningly to trespassers.

The core beckoned in a wordless hum.

I can say anything? Nyx replied in their mind.

The dungeon core did not protest.

Maybe you’ll get to hear these questions twice, Nyx thought, feeling suddenly awkward.

The dungeon core did not care.

Ugh, never mind. Forget I said that. I wonder how much longer we’ll be down here. I’m anticipating a battle with Urrich in the undetermined near future and that really throws me off.

The dungeon core hummed to remind Nyx that a) all beings, supernatural included, had intrusive and wandering thoughts so it was nothing to worry about, and b) the core didn’t mind if Nyx had to take their time, but maybe their fellow divers would.

Right. Okay.

First, I ask how and when Urrich is going to attack. In case you’d know.

Second, I ask how and why you were born.

Third, I ask what this world is. I should say the combination of worlds. Gaia. The underworld. Earth. Everything.

0