Chapter 209: Aw Crud, What Do You Want
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Announcement
rPbIt3r.png

I'm giving away three copies of the ebook edition of Grease and Gambits: The Demon Lord is Apathetic Book 1 on Twitter! One GRAND PIZZA WINNER will receive, in addition to their ebook, a commissioned artwork from me in the style of the story's illustrations. Finally, you can make me draw Dante sliding on Nyx's face!

To enter, just retweet this tweet by 11:59 EST on August 30th. Good luck, and thanks for your support!

The dark colors of the void lightened into omnipresent fog. Nyx had the distinct sensation of standing in a stall post-shower, which told them they were in a chthon’s headquarters.

What else would it have been? It wouldn’t be a trap laid by an ordinary demon, or else Ethel’d be dead by now. And it looked like no place on Gaia...besides World’s End, but that was, of course, Chthon Central.

Knowing that they hadn’t recognized this location immediately put Nyx’s irritation a level higher, but that still didn’t compare to the despair, pushed into the pit of their stomach, at having lost so much.

“Any time now,” said Nyx. They spoke directly to that rising metal sun, which was simultaneously inches away and miles off.

At their command, the sun jerked fully into view. Now the world was comfortably grey.

“Hey, it’s me!” said indescribable entity Ta’Gelkiyr.

Ethel rose as if waking. Before she could say anything to Ta’, though, Nyx laid a hand on her shoulder and said, “Hold it.”

After a deep breath, positioning themself firmly in front of the metal sphere, Nyx let out unrestrained, unmitigated fury. “You have dragged me by the chain! You know everything—everything—but you never do shit for anyone! You could’ve—so much—you probably—” They smashed a fist against the metal, dented it. “You were there!

“There” meant everywhere, at every time, every worst moment in Nyx and their companions’ lives since the day they materialized in Gaia or the hells.

Agi blinked up at Nyx. He didn’t hide the hint of trepidation when he said, “Your majesty, would it have killed you to stay polite?”

“It makes no difference,” proclaimed Ta’Gelkiyr, LED face smiling as if nothing had just pounded their chassis. “I’m here to mess with you again. Accept it or don’t.”

Nyx didn’t admit it, but Ta’s bluntness was appreciated.

“U-uh,” said Ethel, “is it okay if I say something?”

Nyx didn’t reply, but the slowness of their breathing was enough of an answer.

“We’re just a human, a human turned, and a couple of minor, youngish demons. You’re eternal.”

“Immortal, actually,” Ta’ threw in.

“Yes, that. Surely it wouldn’t cause you much pain if you acted more accommodating toward us. A moment to you is an eon to us.”

“Fairer words were never spoken!”

The color of the grey expanse softened, if that was possible. Four appropriately-sized plush chairs blipped into reality, as well as a Twilight Zone-esque door.

“I’ll say it again in new terms,” said their host. “I’m here to mess with you. Accept it or—leave.”

The foursome looked at the chairs with guarded expressions. Nobody took a seat, but nobody headed for the door, either.

Without hesitation, Ethel said, “That’s very vague.”

“I am...about to divulge information that will jack up your lives,” Ta’ clarified. “For my own satisfaction.”

“What about ours?”

Yours, yes, definitely yours, Ethel. You’ll be satisfied. Everyone else will feel weird and, again, jacked up about it.”

The corner of Ethel’s mouth twitched in concern. “That’s a bummer,” she said.

“Yeah...”

“Can one or three of us walk out that door while the rest stay to listen?” said Dodd.

“Of course!” said Ta’. “But you wouldn’t want to.”

“Ugh!” groaned Nyx, laying the volume on thick. “Too mysterious and too on-the-nose about it. Just get right into it. I’ll even get in your chair.” They flopped backward into it, arms crossed, keeping their word with a grimace. The rest of the party followed Nyx’s lead.

“Ethel may be the only one to come out of this satisfied,” said Ta’, “but Nyx, you stand to gain from it too. I’m offering you all the information about the world that the dungeon core couldn’t tell you.”

Nyx startled at that sentence. But...why?

Oh, right, because things were clicking now... So the dungeon core back there had been talking about—

“I have a long history here, but I think you know that much. I have grown extremely bored extremely often. You know that much too. I like to tinker with lab rats, but I like to conduct weightier experiments too. Tests where the lab rats might eventually come to some entertaining success. Or failure. You’re lucky rats—it’ll be your choice.”

0