Side Chapter 6: Progress and Results
919 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Perspective: Cursed Alchemist: Spyke Hydra

Authors note: <<Brackets>> are implied to be universal/world announcements. “Quotes” are character speech. “Italicized text” are thoughts. <single bracket> are displayed to characters.

Edited by: Dragodonv2 on discord

 

Spyke: “Another long night...Another failed result!  Why is it that when I try to reproduce the potion I made by accident I fail and make something worth ten times more?!”

This was the 20th batch of potions I have made to complete his highness’s orders, another failed batch. Though he has been patient and is paying me for the valuable potions, he is disappointed in the lack of results. I need to make this next batch work out. It was now in the middle of the night, the crickets clicking their feet outside the open window that faces towards the rolling hills of the countryside. I rub my eyes from exhaustion before sighing softly, my thoughts are filled with Ionia.

I find it hard to focus on potion work these days. Mostly due to the impact Ionia has had on the positivity of my life. She brings me meals every day, ensures that my home is clean, and I am sleeping well enough. I want to make her mine; this is my final job before I retire to live my life with her till her death. I will live a much longer time than her, of course I will make her entire life filled with happiness for it. For me to accomplish this, I WILL complete this job.

With renewed determination I stood up and walked towards the dangerous chemicals closet, my goal to get the batch right. So, to explain what I am trying to make, the prince has ordered potions that are both special and aggressive in nature. They are labeled dangerous because they are known as Curse potions. These potions specially: Enhanced sexual stimulation, enhanced sexual skill growth, a complete reset of puberty (in which the body of the person grows once again), and body growth. This dangerous potion is called: “The Succubus’s Charm”, a potion that drives even the strongest minded beings to become lust filled creatures hell bent on sateing their bodies new found desires.

The Succubus’s Charm is often used by humans to mass produce orcs with monsters as mates for Colosseum fights. It is a forbidden drug for a normal person’s use, the reason for it? As you can imagine, it drives the person who takes it insane. Every potion is progressive in nature, a single potion lasts for a day, drinking a second within a short time after it wears off makes it last a week, and so on, if 10 are drunk within a short time, the person’s life is corrupted by the potion and it becomes a curse on their soul.

I won’t question the prince with what he wants to do with this potion, I won’t ask, or will I listen. It is a dangerous potion that I will claim ignorance of. My hands resumed their work once more as I sat down at my workbench with the chemicals in hand. I stirred and crushed the needed ingredients once more to get the proper ratio, before losing track of time once more.

I suddenly find myself sitting on my couch with Ionia, she is holding a child in her arms with fox ears. I lean over smiling like a schoolboy. This woman is the mother of my children, this is the woman I will give up everything for. The next instance she is older, and our kids are older playing in the yard, my youngest daughter is helping me make healing potions in the workshop as our older soul swings a sword. Ionia has brought me and my daughter a meal. White haze hits me and I jolt up from my desk.

I look around and rub my eyes some before feeling something wet against my cheek.

Ionia: “Long night of work?”

I yawn, stretching my back muscles and arms up into the air feeling something soft against my back caused my tails to stand on end behind me. Those are what I think they are right?!

Ionia: “You know staying up all night for work is bad for you right? You may be a long-lived creature but if you’re going to my man you're going to sleep properly, this is my last week at the guild you know? Once this job is done are you serious about packing up everything and moving out into the countryside of the frontier?”

I give up on trying to retort before nodding, reaching out to check the results of the potions in front of me. After swirling it around, a bright pink light is shown from the light of the son. It causes a deep grin on my face before moving quickly. Ionia takes a step back from me, and silently waits to watch me work. I can’t see her reaction to my sudden sense of urgency, but I hope she realizes it's done. I bottle all 20 bottles, setting them inside of their protective carrying case.

Ionia: “Ah, finished, are you? This was a long-term project, right?”

I no longer had to stress the long nights; this will all be worth it! I turn towards Ionia and nod and attempt to stand up before my body gives out and I find my world spinning around me. I feel and smell Ionia holding me up in the next moment before a soft “tsk tsk tsk” was heard from above me.

I don’t know how long it has been, but when I wake up, the sun is high in the sky. I stretch a bit before sitting up and looking around. A single note sits on the table next to me, along with a basket of food. I pick up the note while reading it.

Ionia: “Dear Spyke, I have to return to the guild to finish training the new girl, I was extremely happy to see the results of your work. I hope that your employer is as happy as I am that you succeeded. I shall return tonight with a home cooked meal for you. So don’t be late! xoxo”

I smile and hug the note to my chest tightly before crawling out of bed. I grab my cloak and stuff a sandwich into my mouth that Ionia had left in the basket. I grab the case of potions and head towards the capital once more.

The roads to the capital are busy, refugees are appearing once more. From overhearing, it seems that it’s not the humans and demons fighting this time. A third opponent has entered the world stage, an army consisting of monsters led by people calling them “Harbingers of Death”. Apparently using magic like the old demon lord of the past, they are controlling monsters and sending them to attack both sides. Monsters have been heard attacking everyone and everything. Around 5 major cities have been attacked and destroyed leaving the people to take refuge here. The elven capital accepts all races, known for their acceptance which most countries refused. It’s a major reason why my father settled down here with his work.

I arrived at the capital gates, but it seems like there is a major line of refugees seeking to get in and approved for asylum. I have a badge from the guild that will let me in faster, so I decide to cut to the front of it all and get in after a quick inspection. I walk straight through the busy streets and move towards the duke’s residence to leave the package with him. I once again was smoothly let in after a quick check by the guards and arrived at the duke’s residence, the duke was sitting behind his desk this time.

An elf with burling muscles, short black hair on his head with a giant scar on his face His name: Conall Qinmys. The duke smiled towards me with the smile of a conman. I knew this man was bad news with the rumors circulating around about him, but with the prince in the mix I should be fine.

Spyke: “Here are the requested potions for this batch sir, the final one.”

Duke Qinmys smirks taking the chest and opening it, picking up one of the potions and examining it carefully for a minute before he nods. I sigh softly holding my palm to my chest before looking up towards the Duke with a weak smile.

Spyke: “I imagine that it meets the standards you requested sir?”

Duke Qinmys nods softly and with a gruff voice speaks for the first time his smile disappearing off his face, instead replaced with a neutral stance.

Qinmys: “Indeed it does, 32 platinum coins have been prepared for you at the guild.”

The duke reaches into his desk pulling out a stamp, I jump a bit before searching for the guilds request slip. I present it onto the duke’s desk watching him stamp its completion. I weakly smile before bowing towards the duke.

Spyke: “I hope all of the healing potions are used for the betterment of your army sir.”

Duke Qinmys slides the form towards me, I quickly pick it up before bowing once more towards the duke.

Spyke: “With this sir I will take my leave. I wish you in good faith under the goddess’s name”

The duke leans back picking up his quill once more, so I proceed to turn and leave his office as my palms reach the door the duke speaks once more.

Qinmys: “I hear you have found a woman you’re going to take as your wife Alchemist Hydra. I wish you both good health, you know?”

A soft chuckle hits my ears causing my ears to flatten on my head speaking softly.

Spyke: “I am retiring at the end of this week; I have proposed to her and plan on moving to the frontier. I plan on opening my own shop with her as my receptionist.”

The chuckling stops and a sound of movement could be heard behind the duke’s desk.

Qinmys: “Ah, I see, I wish your marriage a blessing then. I hope you don’t mind if my guards check up on you in the future to ensure the contract remains solid?”

I grip the door’s handle tightly before nodding.

Spyke: “Of course sir, I am a man of my word, and the prince knows this to be true. All I have made for you and the prince are healing potions, I have no doubt that everything checks out every time sir.”

I leave the dukes office, hearing my heart beating like a drum. After leaning against the closed door for a few minutes I move slowly towards the gates of the duke’s home. Once outside I sigh in relief at the fresh air. Once this week is done, I am free of this place, I won’t let anyone get in the way of that.

Author: Today I present to you Spyke’s Status Card!

<Status Card:
Name: Spyke Hydra
Titles: Mater Alchemist
Race: Fox Beast – Half Kitsune
Gender: Male
Age: 483 Years
Job: Master Alchemist
Job History: Alchemist, Apprentice Alchemist, Elemental Mage, Elemental Apprentice Mage, Master Thief, Thief of Misfortune, Apprentice Thief
Level: 89
Attributes:
Vitality: 150
Mana: 2837
Strength: 15
Agility: 150
Endurance: 200
Intelligence: 252
Passive Skills: Stealth Level 5, Misfortune Level MAX, Quick Thinking Level 4, Multi-Thinking Level 2
Unique Skills: Accidental Creation
Active Skills: Sexual Endurance Level 3, Alchemy Level 10, Appraisal level 2, Heal Level 3, Magic Device Creation Level 4, Sleight Of Hand Level MAX, Craft Level 14
Magic: Basic Elemental level 2 (Complete Basic Elements Masteryl),
Racial:  Night vision level 5, Escape Artist level MAX

>

16