016. Drinking
34 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jack had returned to the smithy the next day but he had been turned away by the smith. “I will need a few days to sort out some matters,” the older smith had said.

Jack walked to the merchants to see if he could find the woman again, but he was unable to find her. In this large city with millions of people, he felt as though he had nothing to do. It wasn’t that he had nothing to do, but there was no want.

“What are you doing out here, Jack?” Sir Anthony asked as he walked over to the young man.

“I’m taking a walk,” Jack replied. “Smith Terry said that he had some matters to attend to so I’m not needed.”

“Did you manage to pass the test?”

“I think so.”

Anthony stared down at the listless Jack. He threw a look to Mark, who shrugged his shoulders. It seemed he needed to visit the smith to have a nice little chat. “Why don’t you buy a bottle of whiskey for us tonight? We’ll celebrate your apprenticeship.”

Jack frowned slightly, unsure of whether he had actually become the smith’s apprentice, but he nodded. “Okay.”

Once Jack left with Mark, Anthony sped his way towards the smithy. He noted that it was silent, but he could definitely feel the lifeforms inside the building. He knocked on the door.

“We’re closed,” came a voice from inside.

“I can see that.”

“…” A moment later, Terry opened up the door to look at the smiling knight. “What business do you have with me, oh good knight?”

“How come Jack isn’t working as your apprentice?”

“There are certain matters that I need to attend to.”

“Is that so?” Anthony asked, staring into Terry’s eyes.

“Yes.” Terry stared back into Anthony’s eyes, not backing down.

“Did he pass?”

“That would put it lightly.”

“So you could see his talent?”

“His talent is troublesome, but I’m not in the business of making trouble with the Bloodwalls.” Terry sighed.

Anthony nodded. “Then accept my apologies for bothering you.” He turned and waved at the smith as he left.

“I will.” Terry shut the door calmly and then looked back to Merri, who had her arms crossed.

“I thought he was going to kill you.”

“I don’t think he’s that type of guy.”

“What a shame.”

Terry tossed something at his daughter, who managed to duck under it. “You say that now but you’ll be crying at my funeral.”

“I don’t cry.”

“Everyone cries.” Terry checked his luggage. They had packed in order to head out to meet with a particular man who seemed to be having an issue. He was unable to smith the item that the man required whilst still in Riverhill since it would be too visible.

Sir Anthony walked through the city, feeling his hands shake. He hadn’t drunk much yesterday and so was feeling the lack of the poison in his veins. Jack was probably going to lean on Mark to find some decent whiskey. He sighed and returned to the inn.

“So you’re not meant to drink a lot of it?” Jack asked.

“Just a shot or two should do you well, young man,” the merchant said, motioning a hand to a bottle of whiskey. “I managed to import this from the north, and I can attest to it’s flavour.”

Jack looked to Mark with a raised brow. The guard nodded and then Jack nodded to the merchant. The merchant packaged it for the young man and he carried it back to the inn.

“Why do people drink whiskey?” Jack asked.

“It’s manly.”

“Oh.”

“It’s also a great way to get drunk without much alcohol.”

“Does Sir Anthony like to drink a lot to get drunk, or just a little?”

“I suppose it depends on his mood. If he’s working, then just a little. If he’s not working, a lot.”

“Then we should have bought some more drinks.”

“I’m sure he’ll be happy with the drink you picked out.” Mark chuckled.

They finally returned to the inn to see Anthony at a table, leaning back and snoozing. Jack rarely saw the man dozing off during his duty, but he supposed that Anthony wasn’t really on duty at the moment. He left the knight alone, but as he tried to sit down at the table beside Anthony, the knight tapped the table.

“You’re awake?”

“Your steps are heavy, little Jack.” Anthony smiled.

Jack frowned. He wasn’t fat, in fact, he was fairly thin. How did Anthony manage to hear his steps through his drunkenness and his sleepiness? People in High Iron are so scary. “One day I’ll be quiet enough that you won’t be able to hear me.”

“I’ll wait for that day,” Anthony said. “Then perhaps you’ll be able to beat me in swordsmanship too?”

Jack’s brow sweat slightly. “I’m not sure about that.”

“Perhaps you will, perhaps you won’t. You won’t know until you try.” Jack smiled. “Now where’s this whiskey?”

They drank with one another. Anthony told his tall tales, speaking of ancient stories, myths and legends which usually kept boys looking towards the stars. Jack wondered if this could continue, but even he knew that it wouldn’t be like this for long. Soon, Anthony would leave.

They continued like this, with Mark or Sir Anthony accompanying him throughout the day, and then they drank together in the evening to talk about old legends and myths.

“Tomorrow we’ll be leaving,” Anthony said one morning. “We will have to return, otherwise the Chief will give us a talking to.”

Jack sighed. He had been expecting this would happen soon, but he didn’t expect it to be today. He looked up at Anthony and nodded. “I’ll see you off in the morning.”

Anthony smiled. “Why don’t I buy a nice drink for us? Let’s drink under the stars like our first time.”

Jack nodded as Anthony walked with him to buy a nice bottle of wine. Anthony had been wondering how he was going to say goodbye to the young man, and he figured the best way was to get absolutely wasted and then give him a pounding headache so it would hurt less when they said their goodbyes.

They found a tea house with a garden where they could drink. Anthony paid a few extra gold so they could have be unmolested throughout the night. He poured the young Jack a cup of tea first.

“Are you sure you don’t want to join the military?” Sir Anthony asked. He was mostly saying it to tease Jack.

“I’m sure. I’ve only just managed to become a smith, I don’t want to change to a soldier so soon. As a smith I’ll be able to return and create weapons for all the knights too!” Jack smiled as he sipped the sweet tea.

“If you’re so intent on it, I’ll give up.” Anthony sipped his own tea, and then chased it with some whiskey. He preferred it that way. “Since you’re going to be a smith it means you have a greater chance of finding yourself a nice woman.”

“A nice woman?” Jack flushed. “I’ll be too busy smithing for that sort of thing!”

“Without Sir Oliver returning, then we’ll need someone else to continue the Bloodwall bloodline, won’t we?” Anthony grinned wide and elbowed the young man gently.

“I won’t be finding a woman. I’ll be concentrating on smithing. You’ll have to ask Chief Bloodwall to find someone else for now.” Jack took a shot of the whiskey, masking his flush.

“Oh? What about the smith’s girl? Merri?” Anthony asked, leaning in.

“She doesn’t like me.” Jack sighed. “I don’t know what I did but she doesn’t seem like she wants to be in the same room as me.”

“Don’t they say that girls will bully boys they like?” Mark asked as he sipped a bit of his tea.

“That’s true,” Sir Anthony replied with a nod of his head. “It could be that she really likes you!”

“Preposterous!” Jack finished his tea and then sipped at his wine slowly. “What about you, Sir Anthony? Do you have someone?”

“I have you, Jack.” Anthony pat Jack’s head. “Why do I need someone else when I already have such a cute young sir to look after?”

“I don’t mean it in that way!” Jack took another sip of his wine. “I mean, don’t you want to settle down and have children? I’m still fifteen, but you’re already twenty.”

“I suppose you’re right. I should find someone someday, but right now I have my duties.” Anthony smiled. “I’m also a bit of a drunkard so I don’t want to find a miss and then end up hurting her when I’m under the influence.”

“I don’t think you’d do that,” Jack said. “You’re a good man. You haven’t hurt anyone when you were drunk!”

Anthony exchanged a look with Mark. “I suppose I haven’t hurt anyone who didn’t deserve it.”

Jack turned to Mark. “What about you? You’ve got a high position too, I’m sure anyone would love to marry you.”

“I’m already engaged,” Mark said.

Jack spit out his wine. “What?”

“He managed to get engaged right before we left for Riverhill,” Sir Anthony said. “He kept it a secret even from me until the other day. Isn’t he mean? I’m his boss and he kept it from me!”

“You’re the one who gave me the letter of recommendation!” Mark punched Anthony’s arm gently. “Since you’re such a drunkard that you forgot even that, maybe I should be Jack’s knight escort instead.”

“If you want to be a knight then go ahead and pass the tests. If you’re too lazy to do that, then don’t blame me for being better than you!”

“Better than me?” Mark tackled Anthony, grabbing the knight into a headlock. “Let me show you who is better!”

“I’m your commanding officer! Let go! Let go!”

“You see how he oppressed me, little Jack? He starts a fight and then cries! This is the knight who protects you.”

Jack was shocked to see the two like this. They weren’t like this the last time they had all drunk together under the stars. “I think it’s very unbecoming of Sir Anthony to cry in such a way, but I also think that you’re much better to physically assault your commanding officer, Mark.”

“Since Jack is admonishing me like that, I’ll relent.” Mark let go of Anthony, who was busy having a fit of laughter.

“It seems that Mark is going to leave us for his wife soon so I’ll continue to be your knight. When you return, I might be married, so don’t blame me for not welcoming you home.” Anthony laughed.

“I’m sure you’ll welcome me home with your wife and children,” Jack said with a smile.

“I was caught so soon. How did you manage to guess my secret plan so easily?” Anthony laughed some more and then continued to pump Jack with the alcohol. “Make sure you return with a wife and children too, or at least a few mistresses. You’re still a Bloodwall, so no one will bat an eye!”

“I’ll marry my craft. That way I’ll be the greatest smith to have ever graced Bloodwall!” Jack was finally under the influence of the sweet poison known as alcohol. “I’ll make a sword for every star out there!”

“That’s right! You’ll even marry the stars too!” Anthony teased.

“No! I’ll marry my craft and have many mistresses! Then I’ll bring back ten heirs for the Bloodwalls!”

Anthony burst out in laughter, choking on some of the wine. Even Mark had to stop drinking in order to cry and laugh. The other guards nearby watched the group with smiles, holding well wishes within their hearts.

Jack lost himself further as he made all kinds of declarations. “I’ll revive the dragons of old and then ride them! I’ll bring back three, no, ten! Ten princesses! I’ll even make an Epic weapon and I’ll slay the beast hordes once and for all!” He eventually passed out, drooling as he dreamt of his boyish dreams.

“Did you hear that? Ten princesses and a dragon!” Anthony laughed.

“Ten princesses, one for each heir! He’ll slay the beast hordes once and for all too!”

“Right! Right! He’ll slay the beast hordes since he’s a Bloodwall! It’s only right he should do so!”

They each looked at the stars above them as they continued to drink and joke until they retired for the evening. Anthony helped the young man back to his room before he stumbled out and then collapsed outside. Mark looked at the knight and sighed, helping him back to his own room. He collapsed beside the knight.


uCsJdLA.png


He just came to drink. 

2