Chapter 1 – The Last Charge In Gustav Sallen
458 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Last Charge In Gustav Sallen

Gustav Sallen was a turning point for everyone. On those broken lands there were thousands of soldiers fighting for the land bridge between Buche and Sachertal separated by sixty miles. In the middle of that was the border fortress of Gustav Sallen. Thirty-five miles away from the fortress. Dachsburg had sent soldiers in accordance with their pact with the Stuhach Commonwealth who had allied with the three princes and the Grand Duke of Nickia. The rallying point was supposed to be in Teiberg, but was moved west of Strausen where they took a paddle wheel boat, and sent five-hundred strong men, to travel unguarded two-hundred fifty miles of the coastline of the land bridge connected Buche and Sachertal.

When the five-hundred strong reinforcement arrived. It became a push forward to the fortress of Gustav Sallen. Imperial Troops from the provinces of Wiesen clashed with the combined armed forces of the Commonwealth and the Crowned Republic composed of the three princes and the Grand Duke of Nickia crowned as the head of the state. 

It was the last battle that would decide the Great War. The war to end wars. The battle of Gustav Sallen happened on Augus 16, 1920. The objective was to capture the fortress. If the plan was successful then the forces from the crowned republic and the allied forces and the commonwealth would push forward and capture the railways of Buche that were connected to Marchia County.

It was an all front-invasions with the Federal Government of Menguile taking on the Eastern Flank of Wiesen. They would try to capture Arduente, Manzarontel, and Ampia. While the Ghan Emirate, alongside the Kingdom of Mosvik, the Jarnlandians, and Sasbachians would take the north and support the war effort in the land bridge. The first to move was the Crowned Republic, who had assaulted Lieiamtwanwe and Rheinheim with their fleet. It was said that Lieiamtwanwe was devastated while Rheinheim put up a maddening fight. The Ghanians, Mosviks, and Jarnlandians were trying to destroy the military capacity of the Empire.

But the most important objective was to capture Gustav Sallen and secure the railways. Without the railways then the attackers from the South wouldn’t be able to threaten Hernas, the Capital of the Wiesen Empire and force them into a surrender. But it was a slaughter in Gustav Sallen. They knew that if they lost. They would not be treated kindly.

“Corporal!”

He heard a voice. Karl Von Alden snapped out of cover. He sprinted forward while avoiding the bullets zipping by. He slid forward, snapped his shoulder on the box and turned towards the man trying to operate a fallen soldier.  The soldier's guts had spilled out.

“Danil! He’s gone! He’s gone!”

“Corporal, I can save him!”

Damn it, Karl cursed. He threw his back on the side. He pushed his shoulder against this half-broken wall and pushed forward. His trench boot digging in the mud. His maschinenpistole was hung on his waist. The strength on his arms couldn’t be underestimated. He gave another strong push and then grunted as his shoulder slam made the wall fell forward. With the half-wall giving him cover, he rushed to where Danil was.

He took a pulse of the fallen soldier that Dani was desperately trying to save. He held no pulse. He had no heartbeat. How could someone who had his guts ripped out have one? Karl set aside the satchel on the man and saw that he was missing his left side. Danil saw the missing side. He dug his fingers on his palms and cursed.

“Damn it! You bastards! Why wouldn’t you let me save someone!”

“Danil, calm, calm, you are going to get yourself killed!”

“Corporal! These bastards! These bastards!”

Karl pushed Danil down and lowered his head forcibly.

“If you want to die here then go ahead. There are some that are still alive. Don’t waste your time and die for nothing here! We need to move NOW!”

Danil started to bawl. Karl grabbed him by the shoulder and headed inside the narrow stone passage. Karl could see figures in the smoke. The sector barracks and ramparts were obliterated from the bombardments from the monoplanes. The stone ceilings were being pounded by bombs. Karl saw the ramparts being flooded with bromine gas. He took the gas mask and wore it. Dani who had somewhat snapped back from his mental breakdown found his footing and wore his too.

The two continued to take cover while Karl held to his maschinenpistole tightly. Danil held on to his luger tightly while keeping an eye on the back.

“Where are the others?”

“I don’t know. The field officer got his head blown out. Right now, other than you, Danil. I don’t think most of the guys here in the eastern-flank of the fort are gone. We’re all that’s left. We’ll try to move through the barracks then make our way to the front ramparts. I saw a signal flare coming from the west so I say we head there, regroup, and try to fight it out. Don’t run like that again, Private.”

“Understood, Corporal.”

Danil was looking like he had his soul drained out.  Karl’s muscular build, head of thick, brown hair, with intense green eyes were looking muddy as well. He scratched the visible stubble on his face while watching his corners. There were spots of blood on him, but Danil who knew Karl better knew that it was probably from the others who think they could outbrawl Karl.

Danil’s dark hazel eyes were wandering. Karl snapped him out of his stupor and told him to let move forward. But as Karl took a step, he heard the shouting of the lingua franca, but with the difference in accent. The soldier tried to skewer Karl. But his knuckles were faster. The man’s jaw looked like it was snapped sideways as Karl threw a punch. He rag-dolled and hit his helmeted head and collided with one of the barrels. Danil hesitated, but he pulled the slide of his luger, and shot the man dead.

“Calm, Danil. You need to be calm.”

“You’re not older than me, Corporal.”

“True. They did say that I was always like this.”

“I wish I could be as calm as you.”

Karl seemed to reject that. Danil looked at the passage. Smoke comes in crawling and despite their masses preventing them from inhaling the smoke. They knew that it wouldn’t be long until the wind brought it to the barracks sector.

He heard familiar accents coming from the other side. Karl led the way while keeping a low stance. Dani was just behind him. The mortars keep on pounding the ceiling. Dust and stone just falling again and again. Karl’s ammunition was thinning. The more he slammed a drum-mag on his gun. The more he found himself wondering how many more he had to gun down. The folks keep coming at them. The black-uniformed folks were strewn across passages. The obstacles barricaded on the passengers used for flimsy cover against gunfire. Bullet casings were scattered across the halls and the smell of corpses and blood mingling in the air.

The two managed to cross the barrack sector. They were met with their fellow soldiers cowering under the constant bombardment, exchanging fire, and putting in bullets on their bolt-action rifles. Karl and Danil crouched down and walked to one of the Field Officers that had a bandage wrapped around his scalp. He was carrying a binocular and was issuing orders. His mustache was half burnt.

“Who are you!?”

Karl gave a crisp salute.

“Corporal Karl Alden, and this here is Danil Baumann of the 1st Storm Vanguard, Sir. We came from the West Flank. It’s gone sir.”

“Sergeant Adolf Ernst, is that true?”

Karl nodded. Sergeant Adolf grimaced. He looked at the map and then ordered a Runner to inform the artillery unit to fire on the West Flank. He ordered a few of the privates and pointed them back to the trench.

“Can you fix some of our men?”

Sergeant Adolf pointed at the wounded men. Danil squinted at them and nodded his head.

“I can.”

“Good. Have them fixed up. Corporal Karl, right? My Adjutant got his head blown ten minutes ago. We haven’t got anywhere and you just gave us some good news. The thing is that we need someone to take some heads. I don’t expect much, but it’ll help if you could shoot down a few heads. Our monoplanes can’t do shit if those anti air guns are up. Some of my trench fighters are crawling their way to that place so I need a distraction. How’s your aim?”

“How long do you want me up there?”

“As long as you can. We need time here.”

Sergeant Adolf handed the scoped karabiner to Karl. He swung the rifle on his back. Then tightened the straps of his maschinenpistole and started clambering up the vantage point where he saw a scenic view of the battlefield. The fields leading to Buche and Sachertal were wasteland. Karl went to position and took a crouching position. He scanned the area and then took a potshot at the red-hatted man who looked like he was supervising the battlefield. The rest were probably hidden under the trench and it was impossible for him to take them out neatly. Karl decided that he’d take the machine-gunners mowing down his fellow soldiers.

How many bastards do I have to kill? Karl thought. He took a shot. Took down a machine-gunner who went limp when shot in the throat. Another one tried to replace the man, but Karl wasn’t going to let that happen.  He took another long-shot while keeping aware of the distance and the fall of the bullet. Firing on empty lungs, and spending all the clips on his satchel.

Karl saw the colored smoke popping on one of the embankments. It was then that he saw the monoplanes coming from his south zipping through the clouds. The monoplanes were met by the enemy fighter planes. Some of the planes didn’t make the target, while some had managed to get a direct hit.

The whistle from the Sergeant sounded. Every man hiding the trench started sprinting to the direction of the colored smokes. Karl descended the vantage point while letting the rifle he shot with hang on his back. Sergeant Adolf Ernst looked at him approvingly. He patted Karl’s shoulder and stuffed hand-grenades on his satchel.

“You charging, Sergeant?”

“Have to. Most of these fucks aren’t going to charge without someone leading them. Are you coming?”

“Sure.”

Karl took out his maschinenpistole and followed the Sergeant. Danil was fixing up the soldiers so he followed the Sergeant. It was a storm of steel and dirt. Karl found himself lost in this storm. The explosion ringing his ears. The bullets whizzing by. The limbs exploded and the soldiers fell on the ground. When he jumped down the enemy trench, he engaged in close-combat, stabbing his bayonet, digging the side of their skulls with his intrenching tool.

When his maschinenpistole was emptied out. He would steal some of the enemies and use them against them. Karl kept on punching. Mashing his fist on the faces of those who he recognizes as enemies. By the time he felt the rush of battle go away. He found himself taking clips and ammunition from his fallen comrades. He loaded his six-shooter by hand and then followed the rest of the troops deeper into the carnage. The dead numbered by dozens. Most of the soldiers who survived were bruised and beaten. There are those who barely were alive after they were pulled out. He found the Sergeant who was missing his belt telling the soldiers to drag the tables on the broken passages. It was not over. Karl had been through a lot in the past years. But this battle was one of the worst things he had seen. He felt like an animal but at the same time he reasoned that this was the price of fighting for whatever definition of freedom that they have in their heads. It was a bloody battle and the only one to blame was the folks who wanted more than what they possibly have.

Afternoon approaches and it wouldn’t be long until the battle is decided. Better find a good place to shoot, Karl thought as he pulled the bolt of his maschinenpistole.

 

***

 

Most of the battle occurred while securing the barracks. He saw many of his comrades die because of a stray bullet. He saw them crowd an entire passage to protect an entrance. There are those who are mowed down because of a volley fire. Trapped in this claustrophobic stone floor, walls, and ceilings. Karl knew that he had to fight. Not because of some self-righteous honor. Not because he had some high-morals that he recognized the Wiesen as evil. It was simply because he was a fool that was ordered to do so.

What kind of idiot would do this? Karl said to himself. There is nothing good about fighting. There is nothing to be proud about being good at this butchery! He pulled on the bolt of his rifle. He slammed his right shoulder to avoid a bullet. He pulled on the trigger and emptied out a magazine. His eyes tracked a pine-shaped grenade. He caught it. Then lobbed it back to where it came from.

The space was narrow. The floor was filled with so many things that one error could rid him of his life. Karl was proud of his athleticism and brute strength. One of the senior officers who gave him his last name was even sure that he was meant to be a soldier.

Karl,” he heard the familiar voice of his foster father. “I ain’t telling you that it is right. Nothing wrong with you, personally, but I just hope that you can see farther than the duties of a soldier.”

Karl didn’t know why he was thinking of his foster father. But then again he was in the barracks drunk in bloodlust. This stone fortress was going to be his coffin if he didn't fight well. His heart pounded madly. He caught sight of a bayonet coming at his side. Karl ducked down and slammed his palm which he connected with an elbow strike at the chin of the soldier. He plucked the rifle from the soldier’s hands. Aimed it at the direction of the soldiers coming in and shot it without hesitation before finishing off the soldier that tried to bayonet him in the side.

Karl picked up the soldier with his left hand while shooting with his other hand. All that he had right now was his six-shooter and the trench dagger hung on his holster. Karl found his memory hazy. He didn’t know why but it became so blurry that he found himself moving so mechanically. Like this was nothing more than a recollection of what he could do. Father Kaden always told him that he was talented. But being able to do this kind of fighting… was this really talent?

Another gunshot came at him. Karl snapped to cover while wiping the blood spilled on his body. Fighting was not glorious. It was a haze despite one thinking that he could be calm. He would find himself unable to understand what was going on. Karl cooked a grenade and lobbed it. There were soldiers fighting in every passage of the barracks that made Karl wonder if this was also a kind of hell.

Someone tackled him from behind. Karl barely moved and was able to hold on by pressing both his arms on each side of the narrow wall. The man who tried to tackle him was then flipped over by a shoulder throw. Karl stomped his foot on the combatant’s head and moved inward where he saw Wiesen troops heading to the direction of their barracks.

They are trying to capture the barracks forcibly. Karl looked at the direction of Gustav Sallen fortress. It was then that he saw more soldiers that wore the same uniform marching to their location. Above the captured enemy barracks he was standing now. Monoplanes were heading to support the action.

But there were still too many. They needed more numbers if they wanted to win. The dead were piling up and yet what they needed was more men to secure this area. The Wiesen Empire had been pouring their men out in battle for the past few years. The war that was backed by the industries and factories of the Empire was going to keep pouring out guns and ammunition.

There was a fanatical belief for the Wiesen people that they must uphold their God-given right of leading this continent. Of course, Karl knew that one of the reasons was that the Emperor of Wiesen needed to cull his people and reduce the congested population. His foster father, Kaden Von Alden, who was a man who always  looked at another cause rather than the popular opinion.

What better way to solve two problems than war? It might not be righteous, but it will cure the Empire’s problems. Of course, that was one of the many theories that his father had. He didn't believe that someone would so awful thing without any reason. He also believed that there might more to it. But Karl didn't want to believe that it was all a misunderstanding.

Karl, there is no person in this world that is evil in the heart, evil is nothing more than an excuse given by those who could not understand the person. Yes, it is easier to label, than think what the mind wants. Necessary or not, who can answer other than the person himself? But men aren’t rational beings, we follow our twisted hearts more often than our rational minds. Emotion chooses first, that is the truth. What do you choose, my son? Fight or run? Danil will be fighting in the war. Ah, that look, you already know what to do.

“Damn it, Danil,” Karl ejected the magazine of his rifle. He looted the soldiers who were down. “Forgive me brothers, this is an act of defilement, but I must choose to do this. Your bullets will be my shield and spear.”

Karl pulled the hammer of his six—shooter and pressed forward. He navigated through the rubble by running on the walls and throwing himself over with only his upper body strength. The normal passages were blocked so he had no other choice other than make use of his other skills to get over the obstacles. Karl landed on the  stone flooring. He took out his rifle and scanned the area before finding a Lewis machine-gun half-fallen on the side.

There was still ammunition left. There might be chances that he would be targeted. But there was no need to hesitate about it. He took the lewis machine-gun and mounted it back. He started shooting on the incoming enemy, wasting five hundred rounds a minute. If it wasn’t for his natural strength. He would have not been able to reload and sometimes change the melted barrel of the lewis machine-gun all by himself without need another pair of hands.

Karl felt sickened at the sight of his own butchery. But he couldn’t just let them get closer while the  reinforcements were braving the mud. He felt like his calloused hands would burn up if he continued firing the machine-gun. It was then that he saw a mortar coming down perfectly to where he was stationed. Karl sprinted to the left and then dived into the rubble while placing his back on the stone floor. The mounted machine-gun exploded. His vision went black for a moment before he sucked in air.

If you want to live, then you must fight. Karl stood up. He truly wanted to just let the concussion take him. But Karl Alden wasn’t so easily broken by an explosion. He was rather thankful that the shrapnel didn’t hit him. That was something to be thankful about.

“Dirt and mud. Bullets and smoke,” he dragged his heavy legs to the broken staircase first. He let himself down. Then scanned the area again. It was then that he saw some of the soldiers who were reloading their rifles. One of them spotted Karl, tried to point his rifle at him. Karl lowered the rifle down and spoke in the lingua franca which made the soldier calm down.

“Bastard,” the soldier said. “You came from top, you’re the one who’s been shooting down at the bastards?”

“I am. Got out alive somehow.”

The soldier looked at Karl with visible amazement. He grinned and patted Karl’s shoulder. It made Karl’s brow rise at such action. Karl followed the soldier to one of the sturdier walls.

“Looks like almost everyone here is wiped.”

“Can say that again,” the soldier inspected his rifle. “Do you have any smoke on you?”

“I have.”

Karl pulled out a pack of smokes. Seeing the smoke, the soldiers and the ones nearby looked at him with quite an amazement. They must be dying for one since smoking was one of the only few activities that they could do in the field other than gambling.

“You got a lot. You have no time to smoke?”

“I rarely smoke. And we’re already inhaling gasses everyday. You lot, you should take the ones here if you want to. I’d be bad if you bastards die without having one final smoke.”

The soldiers looked at Karl for a moment before raising a grim smile. They each took one cigarette each and thumped Karl on the shoulder. The pack was empty by the time the whole of them was done.

“Ah, shit, this is good. Really, you don’t want to smoke?”

“I’m good. I think I need a rest. I’ve been fighting since morning.”

“No shit? What’s left other than to fight. If you hide you might die. If you fight you die. If you run then you will still die. If given the choice ain’t it right for someone to fight?”

“I ain’t going to argue with that. I hope they march faster so we can join the assault.”

The soldier went silent. They knew that they had to fight this battle to end this Great War. One of them will surely die if they go out there. But reloading their weapons and then taking this one final smoke was all that Karl needed to see.

They’ll fight to their death.

“You all got spares? I can carry more weapons.”

“Mind if you carry the ammo pouches then?”

“Sure.”

Karl wrapped the ammo pouches around his chest. They looked heavy but Karl didn’t look fazed by the weight of the pouches. Once the smoke was gone they were holding on tightly to their rifles. Without hesitation the soldiers charged out of their cover.

They were overwhelmed by the gunfire. It didn’t take long before the gunfire brought most of them down. Nonetheless, Karl charged, while keeping his wits intact and eyes peeled. It made him sick how these brave men were gunned down like that. But he didn’t have the heart to lose his beating heart.

He kept on fighting. He kept on shooting. Tactics were useless in a place of hell. So all he could do was keep on fighting. It was like he was a puppet who was programmed to shoot and reload mindlessly. It was an unending nightmare of gunpowder, blood, and steel mixing into this one big ball of chaos.

Karl was woken up by an explosion that flipped him to the side. He opened his sleepless eyes and saw the person who he had given smokes to. Karl blinked. He pushed himself up and untied the pouches. He looked around for a moment before running towards the trench and snapping into cover among the rest.

Some were praying to God for their salvation. Some were angry at the enemies and were raging at them. Karl felt empty for some reason. His rational mind told him to fight but his heart felt awful.

Karl wanted to fight. He truly wanted to but his limbs were not moving. He plopped on the side of the trench and just stared blankly at the mud. He opened and closed his fingers before standing up and cocking his rifle once more.

Just fight, Karl said to himself. He ran as usual and charged at the enemy again. It began to feel like a flash. By the time Karl woke up again from his bloodlust he was pointing a gun at a group of soldiers who were surrendering.

Karl looked to the right and saw the white flag flying alongside the Wiesen Empire. There was a sudden quietness that Karl didn’t understand. There were some gunshots coming from all directions, but the quietness made him think that it was finally over.

The Great War has been won.


Start of a new series.
Please look forward to the chapters!

6