Chapter 3 – The Smallest Details
192 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A War’s End

The death of the Emperor and family set out an opportunity for everyone. Perhaps because the head of the Empire was gone that there are now individuals who are eager to get a hold of much power. Seizing the power was easy, keeping it was hard. To understand how everything went wrong for this Empire.

One must understand the root cause of this tragedy.

 The Paxian Tragedy. The tragedy started because the Imperial Family decided to revoke the rights of the students enrolled in the academy to take the examination. Of course, like every tragedy, it started with a person. The one who pushed the boulder to roll down the hill.

Odila Taube -- mistress of the mid-class Taube Clan. Honorary scholar and founder of the Wizened Club who had created a book reading club that had imported literary works from the Ghan Scholars who promoted ‘wizened’ thoughts. Duplication of literary works were considered illegal and such Odila Taube and her fellow member, Dietmar Schulze had drafted a summary of the literary works that were imported from the Ghan. It was a strawman’s summary, and unfortunately, had been misinterpreted by Dietmar and Odila whose minds worked differently.

The midwit could not truly understand the minds of Ghan Scholars who are infamous for their single-minded dilemmas on which they would spend five hours of their day to comprehend on a single question. Some take five years to comprehend. Others spend a lifetime writing their thoughts fully. It was like trying to comprehend a book by reading its first ten pages and then skipping to the middle and last parts where the Ghan Scholars revealed their thoughts.

Because of this there was a misunderstanding. The ‘enlightenment period’ had made the Empire anxious. The Eastern side of the world and the Middle Continent had experienced rapid changes in matters regarding the nobility. Revolutions that ended up in the victory of the people. The educated masses had started to understand the truth preached by the church.

“All are equal under the eyes of god.”

The uneducated poor performed far better than the educated noble. The lowest class have achieved merits that made one question if there was anything special about those who have looked down upon them in the first place. And with this enlightenment period brought forth fear for those who naturally ruled. But suppression had caused retaliation. It was far harder to control the uneducated and attempts to cull learning was the same as banning goods. What is illegal is sweet. And thus people would seek it if they can.

The Empire had made a solution by creating a narrative that painted the Empire on a brighter side. But the problem with such tactics is that too much would cause those who could not stand it to have contrarian thoughts. The urge to resist the norms. The biggest mistake that Odila and Dietmar made was showing their thoughts to those who have loose tongues. Words can be twisted and when it slowly crept into the ears of the imperial family.

They wanted Odila and Dietmar apprehended for plotting. Odila herself was a recognized student, and Dietmar was a frequent friend of Aldrich Lange of the Lange Arms and Manufacturing who has recently acquired the opportunity to expand. With the news of Odila and Dietman being arrested, the Lange Mercenaries hid the two in ironclad on a port town called Zaiersbrin who then transported the two to the island of Marxzel. The island was originally a tobacco farm originally, but was converted into one of Lange's private islands and was just neatly in the middle of the borders of the Nickia Grand Duchy. The appearance of a heavily armed small fleet was a concern for the Grand Duchy and because of miscommunication. The Captain leading the fleet misfired and sank the patrol ship of Nickia, thinking that they were Lange Mercenaries.

This causes them to retaliate. The Grand Duke demanded answers, but heard none from the Emperor. The problem with the sinking was that it also caused Odila and Dietmar to write letters from their family homes and their clubs. Of course the letters that came from Odila and Dietmar were nothing more than letters explaining their situation. State Inquisitors however took notice of these letters, thinking that they were secretly worded letters. A grand scheme that has been concocted by rebels.

Of course it wasn’t. There has been no sufficient evidence that the letters had secret wordings. But this didn’t stop the state inquisitors from acquiring these letters peacefully or violently. The worst thing that had ever done was acquire one of the letters that spilled the oil around the Paxian Academy.

Adelbert Sauber was a foreign student that came from Mosvik. He was a student who had small relations to the duo. But the problem was that Inquisitor Heino Mayer had decided to make him spill. Testaments coming from her side had made it clear that Heino Mayer was quite an Imperialist. He was a man who had a deep fondness of the Imperial Code. But was also a man of deep loathing of foreigners.

Adelbert Sauber was a scholar who had merit to the Kingdom of Mosvik and was promised lofty positions once he graduated from the Paxian Academy. But instead of honors he returned in a black coffin with a letter stating that he was suspected to be part of anti-imperial forces. The letter was not taken to the Kingdom, but was spread to the publishers who had spread the news in newspapers and tabloids. It only took two days for Adelbert’s name to be known. When the letter and the news was received by the ruler of the Kingdom of Mosvik, King Grigoriy Vorobev, the First. They demanded an explanation on why a citizen was killed under their watch.

The Emperor and his family had not taken action. However, there was a fool who managed the situation, and that fool’s name was Chancellor Berend Schmitz. The utter fool who for whatever reason was in-charge of matters that requires reason and empathy to work out well alongside cunning. And as expected of an utter fool who was able to reach his position through the use of nepotism and his fat pockets. Had made some of the worst choices possible. The fool had tried to fix this problem by himself, but ended up salting the wound.

The death of  Adelbert had become a warning to the associates of Odila and Dietmar. But at the same time added more fuel. Reiner Goudier, the friend of Adelbert, was a part of a trading company that was established since the founding of the Empire of Wiesen. Hearing the death of his good friend, Reiner Goudier traveled to the capitol city in hopes to have an understanding. His family had the adequate honor and prestige, thus he was given the right to have an audience in front of the Emperor.

She could not forget the righteousness of the man as he stood in front of the Emperor. He first bowed his head and spoke with a righteous fury.

“My friend Adelbert was a man of peace. He was a scholar and a pacifist who had wanted nothing more than to learn in our prestigious academy in hopes to better his motherland. He was a good man, a sympathetic man who had appreciated the customs and culture of the great empire. I came here, in hopes that his majesty would enlighten me about the cause of my friend’s tragic death.”

At that point the Emperor had no idea what Sir Goudier had wanted. But nonetheless it was a mistake to show Sir Goudier, who had misunderstood the Emperor, thinking that his friend’s death didn’t even enter the ears of the Emperor. Of course, Chancellor Berend Schmitz, who handled the situation, had Inquisitor Heino Mayer explain the situation.

After Inquisitor Heino Mayer stated his explanation. Sir Reiner Goudier left the palace in deathly silence.

If Odila and Dietmar had pushed barrels of oil. Adelbert the one who had poked a hole. Then it was Reiner Goudier who had started the fire. In anger, Inquisitor Heino Mayer was surrounded by eight thugs on his way home. He was beaten to death by a club and was hung in the dormitories of the Paxian Academy in the middle of the night.

He was hanged in Adelbert’s room. His corpse was only found two days after his murder. And when the State Inquisitors found the body of the Inquisitor. It was during the day of the examinations. Commander Engel Luther, the one who was in-charge of such an awful situation had sincerely tried to fix the situation, but the oil was already lit and those who had awful conspiracies brewing in their heads grew nervous of the actions of the Inquisitors.

Oil and powder keg. Mix it with fear and you get something worse. With no explanation for the sudden closing of the Academy. The students who felt like the Emperor had abandoned them started a riot. Of course, with the death of Aldebert, the Inquisitor, and the closing of the examinations. It became a troublesome affair that set the Capital City of Hernas into flames. A week of battle with the students having the wits to make use of the crowded two-story brick and mortar homes of the Empire as their cover. The Empire might have spread news that it was a success, but those who knew what happened during that week. Understood that the Imperial Family had lost to the students. The students had escaped to the east and used the Braun River to travel one hundred eighty-seven miles to escape to the island where Odila and Dietmar were waiting for them. The Empire did try to chase after the rebelling students, only to meet with the battleships of the Grand Dukes who were eager to ‘face’ them again. They defended the fleeing students with reasons that they found students from the Grand Duchy among the escapees.

Because of this daring escape the students were able to spread the news of the Empire rejecting the students from getting their right to take the examination. The ambassadors from the countries demanded answers, but once again the fool of a Chancellor, not daring to be seen as competent had doubled-down, proclaiming that there was a murder. Foolishly accusing the ambassadors of the countries.

This caused them to leave the Wiesen Empire. And declaring that there was a scheme happening. It also didn’t help that there were conspiracy theorists and spies who had reported the factories that had been recently constructed by the Empire. Not to mention this was seen as an act of hostility by the nations who have diplomatic ties with the Empire.

All of it because a bunch of fools had misunderstood two who were merely interpreting the books that they had read from Ghan. Of course, the other reason why they were able to be badly understood was partially because of the low quality of the translated work. If she had told others that it was all a misunderstanding because of a poor translation. She was sure that they would have called her crazy. Nonetheless, it was always the smallest details, and the tiniest things that caused such big reactions. But there were simply others who didn’t want to accept such a reason and by the time Adelbert had died. That reason could not justify the pathetic excuse of choices that the Chancellor had made. It was simply incompetent and awful that something had to be done.

Placating the nations that had recently bared their demands was impossible. And by the time she had learned some of the truth. The nations of the West were raging at an old regime. They have ulterior motives in doing so, but nonetheless it was the perfect casus belli for the nations.

Demands of justice hidden behind motives concerning money. Insistence that would benefit their country and at the same time drag the Wiesen into a level where they could mock them without fear.

 

***

 

And so the war started leaving many dead. It had been years since that awful accident. Many things had happened within that time frame. But she was sure that at least she got a better look at the cowards who made such awful choices.

“Chancellor, it is clear that the demands of the allied forces are quite high. Do we really have to agree?”

The one who spoke was a man wearing a formal black suit with a red shoulder cape strapped on his left shoulder. A military cut and well-trimmed facial hair. The man carried a saber and a 9mm pistol.

“Lord Beric Dandelion, it is a must that we must agree with what they want right now. Besides, even if we don’t agree. The reparations will hit the territories. The borders of the Empire are occupied. There are refugees coming from the south who are escaping their war-torn areas. Children and women are starving while the men are becoming thugs as time passes in order to survive. We will do something, but in due’s time.”

Lord Beric looked at the little girl reading her book. That unique silver color her hair and rubellite eyes were the sign of her birth-right. Meanwhile, the woman who had been reading the documents was staring at him.

Reddish blonde hair with gentle amber eyes. A figure that showed her curvaceous body with pride. The black uniform with golden accents and the Witia Hawk on her shoulder cape. Beautiful and yet intimidating in her own right. The woman before him was the one who split the Empire to save some of it.

Chancellor of the Newly formed Northern Wiesen. Archduchess Mildred Wendelia Von Hilma, of Witia. The woman who had seized the North and left the south to burn. Some may call her a traitor of the Empire, but there are many who have praised her for her timely appearance. Of course, the only reason she was in this position was because of the little girl who she had adopted.

“The rest of the surviving nobles are hoping to gain an audience.”

“I have made sure that Rubin will take care of these masses. As for gaining an audience with me. Did I not make it clear that after you have sorted it out for me. Marlene and I shall go back to Nobra. That was the condition, no? They allowed me to drag the Imperial Family in front of a firing squad because they wanted to make sure that I do not get power. Oh, they can try to make trouble for me, but I assure you that they will not find easy prey. Have you settled, Lord Beric?”

“I have. The role shall be handed to me, as you requested. Though I must confess that I have no confidence that I can be as meticulous, your grace.”

“You will be fine. Unlike the one who sat in this position. You are far better. I would have recommended Regina or Markus, but Regina is too blunt while Markus is draconian in some matters. You are a good balance of them, but do not be overconfident. Those two can be either your sword and shield when it comes to these matters.”

“What do you intend to do, Archduchess?”

She rested her chin on her palm. She leaned back with eyes looking at Lady Marlene who was reading quietly on the sofa.

“I need to take care of my princess. I have my own duties. And besides the only singular reason that I would take a step into this realm is because of my princess. Marlene does not deserve such suffering. I have made it clear in her mother’s name that I will not allow any harm from her.”

“It’s a shame. I think that you would have been the perfect fit for this role.”

“Nonsense, I do not seek such powers or positions. Of course, I am not so naïve to think that I don’t need it. I will keep the role as an administration adviser, but beyond that I want nothing from this Empire who had treated my princess like she was trash. I had done my duties. I’ve defended the southwestern coastlines as it was my charge, but what did they do instead? They spat on the very oath they made me take. Marianne was my friend and it would be unwise to make Marlene play this charade while she’s sick.”

Lord Beric eyed the lady once more. 

“Is the medicine not working?”

“She needs to be free from this smog-ridden capital. Nobra might be a bit rustic, but the air is clean. Not to mention that such idyllic scenery might clear some of my head while also getting treatment for my darling.”

Lord Beric hesitated to ask. Archduchess Mildred however saw his expression and guessed clearly. “The world is changing. The old system is slowly changing. Educated men and women are around. And the great war proved that it would be best if we let those who have true merit and intelligence rule than those who had paid for it. You are qualified for your position. I am not. That is why I hand the title of the Chancellor to you.”

Lord Beric nodded. There was no use to persuading a woman like the Archduchess. But there was still a question that remained to him.

“Milady--”

“Just call me Mildred from now on, Lord Beric. So?”

“Why did you spend so much time knowing the truth?”

“I just want to. There is no reason other than I simply wanted to understand how such a small thing became such an awful tragedy. I’ve spent only two years in this war. My people have become independent.”

She stood and walked to Lady Marlene. She caressed the hair of the little lady and wrapped her arms around her. The little lady leaned back into the Lady’s embrace as well. Lord Beric nodded at the Lady silently before exiting the chambers.

 

***

When silence took the chambers. Mildred found herself looking at the contents of the book. It was a small thin book bound in leather. It was written mostly in the imperial lingua franca, and was scented with rose bookmarks.

“Sister, why is the princess in this book so thickheaded?”

“She’s lost, darling. You see, it’s not like everyone is like me, you know?”

“Hum, Sister is nothing like the princess in this book. I don’t want to be like her either.”

“True. But remember, you are free to follow your path now. I have made a promise and so you shall be, my darling.”

The little lady pointed and nodded. She continued to read until she lost interest in her book. She placed the book down on the glass table. She turned towards Mildred with inquiring eyes.

“Sister, tell me that story again.”

Mildred’s shoulders sagged once more. She sat properly on the sofa while letting the little one lean her tiny arms on her bountiful thighs. She started by recollecting the memory of such a story.

“There was once a Marquis who stood above others. They called him a good man who had made his home flourish. This Marquis lives in a city above the mountains. Although the Marquis has a stony face, he was admired by his people. Followed by everyone. Nonetheless the Marquis was a lonesome man who was shocked by his thoughts. Of course, the Marquis loved a princess who he was promised, but then came a day where he had abandoned her, hoping that his people could find the panacea that would cure her. There was clear bitterness in the heart of the Princess. While the Marquis followed his path.

“But one day the Marquis met a lady who could match him. The lady had fought the man and had almost killed one another. Perhaps, it was this strange friendship that brought them to live together. The lady admired the Marquis. But there was a vision that came to the lady. A vision that scarred her heart. But those visions would end with the Marquis’s forgiveness. No matter how cruel she was. No matter how blackened she acted.

“She did not understand. But as the visions worsened she felt like she had spent lifetimes with the Marquis. Whether it was love or death that made her devoted. The lady herself didn’t know why.”

“Sister,” Marlene interrupted. “I don’t get it. Why did the lady always devote herself to the Marquis? I don’t think he liked her.”

“Perhaps, she herself suspected that he had other things she wanted. She was a rather foolish woman. A foolish woman who was quite unsure of herself. She is quite swift with her bow and was quite lovely. But she was never the type who would marry a man weaker than her. She has pride, and she was foolish.”

Marlene nodded.

“But one day a rather senile king had wedded them in hopes that they could make use of the lady. Bit by bit they became close and she had somewhat wormed her way in his heart. But as she had visions, he had duty as well. She knew that her Marquis was not the type to stand down and do nothing.”

Marlene’s eyes grew brighter. Mildred really didn’t know why she liked hearing this memory.

“He slew beings who came from beyond. With a sword on his right he drove the evil that came from the land and defeated them. But...the evil that he drove had placed a curse on him. For many years the Marquis slept. The lady waited patiently, protecting his lands and making sure that the people he loved would prosper. When the Marquis woke up he found himself surprised by the changed world. But in the end the lady was still there waiting for him. Although the Marquis lost time, he truly never lost something that he didn’t stop. Reunited once more, but nonetheless the world wasn’t so kind. The Marquis knew that they had no time left. There was simply no time for them to be together.”

Marlene looked down.

“So the Marquis fooled everyone and got ahold of a magical orb. With the use of the orb he was able to gather power. A power to fight the evil being that was trying to destroy what he loved.”

Mildred wrapped her fingers around her darling’s hair. The little girl listened with perpetual interest.

“And then he defeated the evil and they lived happily ever after!”

The little girl said resolutely. Mildred couldn’t help but smile at her darling. She pinched her soft cheeks and wrapped her arms around her again.

“That’s right, you always preferred that ending.”

“Hmph!” Marlene pointed. “I don’t like sad things, sister. I prefer how it happened.”

“A happily ever after...yes, I must agree with you that it is better if things are like that.”

It was a sad memory. And if she was to choose how such a story ended. Then she would have picked a better ending as well.

“The sun is starting to sleep. Your eyes will start to hurt if you read under such dim lights. My darling, you should rest for now so you will have time to enjoy such sightseeing.”

Marlene interlocked her fingers. “But I might wake up from this…”

“Foolish girl, I told you right?”

She took a knee in front of this little one. Her amber eyes like sparks in the night. Marlene stared at her with amazement in her eyes. The little girl always thought of her as pretty.

“The moment I took your hand and away from them. You have become Marlene Von Hilma. And I will always protect you from harm no matter what, my darling. That is my oath to Jove, and my oath to you.”

She nodded. She wrapped her little arms around Mildred. In return, Mildred held her dearly without a word. She could still hear the words of her friend as she held her hand. How her words would leave embers in her heart...

7