Chapter 6 – Future Worries
120 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Future Worries

Karl boarded the ferry with Emil. He took the ticket with him and headed straight to the cabin he had rented. It was a small cabin, but it gave him enough privacy to continue his readings. Nonetheless, Karl couldn’t find it himself to be boorish enough not to join the comrades that survived the war. He left his clothing and books in his cabin while he held on to his satchel, revolver, and cylindrical spares hidden underneath his trench overcoat.

The middle deck of the ferry was full of service-uniform wearing men chatting with another. They did not let sorrow hinder them. Karl blended in with the folks and got himself a thump in the shoulder. Emil spotted him not long after and handed him a cold bottle of beer.

There are four decks of the ferry. The first upper decks were mostly where the sailors and the crew of the ships mingle. The fourth deck was the engine room where the ship’s maintenance crew was gathering. Karl spotted normal civilians who were watching from the side. They were watching with a curious stare at this generation who took the brave step.

The middle deck was open. There were bunk beds and other than the blanket that one would offer the passengers. It was extremely cold. Karl deduced that it would be far colder in the evening. But that didn’t stop the soldiers from celebrating. They even dragged some of the picnic tables together to make a long table where they could place the cases of beer. Fried and oiled foods were placed on the center.

Karl took a sip of the beer while watching from the side. Emil however was far too noticeable that it also attracted one of the ‘organizers’ of this party. Kimball spotted Karl and his face grew tense. He took his bowler hat and put on his most businessman-like smile.

“Ah, Mr. Alden. I knew that you would join us on this ferry! Mr. Danzer as well. Merry, that you two have come. Are you two acquainted?”

“Yes. It looks like you have quite a group now, Kimball,” Karl said. “How many lads have joined you now?”

Kimball approached with a grin.

“We have ten thousand of us right now. Forty by the end of the month. You see, Mr. Alden. There are rumors circulating that except for the United Provinces… the Crowned Republic, Bilertalian, and they are organizing reasons to make it so that our brothers aren’t paid their due.”

“One of your people heard this? Mooney told you this?”

Kimball nodded. He took out a piece of paper. Karl took it and written on the paper was a telegram that came directly from Thomas Mooney. From the looks of it he was already in the mainland preparing his enterprise. He’s going to use his service wage and the contrabands that he acquired to establish this enterprise, I just know it. But forty thousand employees, that’s not impossible unless...

“Kimball, do you folks own a horse race track now?”

“Yes we do. Why?”

Kimball answered. But there was a suspicious look that he barely was able to hide. Karl continued, keeping a dispassionate face.

“Nothing. I can see that Mooney has been busy. Did he serve the whole war?”

“Aye, that he did.”

Karl nodded. Looks like he had Kimball transferred here to convince some of the best here. He must be looking for enforcers as well. Good men to coerce into becoming his pawn. I guess it makes sense in a way, considering that I don’t see the allied forces having enough funds or the ability to employ people.

“Are you perhaps interested now, Mr. Alden?”

Kimball beamed. His lips curved unknowingly to him. He couldn’t hide his interest in recruiting Karl. I wonder what’s so interesting. Not that they need anything more than one. Ranking up in this amount of people, the world will be horrendous if by chance the allied nations don't really pay up the promised allowances. Is he perhaps?

Karl had an idea in mind. But he didn’t want to speak it out loud. Not especially into Kimball, his recruiter. Kimball, the man’s oratory skills are quite perfect. If Karl had not met up with Isidor and his foster father. He would have fallen for this recruitment.

“Mooney still owes me and brother Danil a favor,” Karl patted Kimball’s shoulder. “And I understand it is quite a lovely enterprise you are promoting, but I am a physician. But sometimes, I would need a favor as well. How are your connections to the Empire?”

Kimball frowned. He looked at Emil. Emil got the cue and took a step to the side.

“Before I answer, Mr. Alden. May I know why you want to ask. Our business with the Empire… is how I say it is complicated.”

Kimball led him to the railings where there was no one listening. He looked to the direction of the island while speaking.

“It does not exactly bid well for us if we have connections to the Empire. Our brothers aren’t exactly fond of the soldiers from the Empire. We just kicked their asses.”

“But they are good for business, aren’t they? Especially with how things are in the Empire. Split into two.”

“Yes, they are good for business.” Emil checked his watch.  “But associating with them is bad since we have advertised ourselves as friends of the allied forces. We still have a few steps to go before we truly are an enterprise. To trip up now would be a shame.”

“So you have a connection?”

“The Burningham Syndicate is still around. They are willing to make peace lately. You see, they have a problem with the State Inquisitors so they needed the help a year ago. So we had offered some of our supplies to the Burningham and had them supplied with a gift to show our sincerity. We came to an agreement that they will take hold of the Empire while we keep to ourselves in the allied nations.”

“I see. I guess there were many in the army that were concerned about the aftermath. Thousands of soldiers with nowhere to go after the war.”

“Aye, but I reckon that most of us are going to be staying in the major cities. There is still a working state-militia so I doubt that other than a few selected places where poverty will hit.”

“It’s a realistic plan.”

“It is. Why won’t you join us then?”

“Because it is a realistic plan, but I am also not a midwit, Kimball. You are establishing a syndicate to rival the Burninghams with your own. I do not desire to be part of a syndicate, but I also don’t wish to burn bridges. It is better to have friends than enemies, is it not?”

“True,” Kimball patted Karl’s shoulder. “Mr. Alden is smart for keeping the favor. Of course, if Mr. Alden becomes a successful physician… perhaps he’d be willing to help during times where we would need mending? You see, it is unavoidable and this turning point will be filled with chaos. Those who do not think far ahead would soon learn that this isn’t the end. The Great War doesn’t mean shit considering how far the world is coming. These chaps are going to think that they’ll return as heroes. Then after their wages are gone. When they don’t receive their rations...they’d realize that they are unemployed young men who only know how to fight and kill. I ain’t going to lie. We are going to use them. But it will benefit them as well. It’ll be another war, but at least they wouldn’t have to eat, shit, and piss on the trenches.”

“You are very truthful, Kimball.”

Kimball checked his watch.

“We had a discussion on the island. I visited you and thought that I could get someone like your repute to join us. I ain’t going to lie. I have seen your dossier and the accounts about your actions in the war. Perhaps because it is the last battle of the Great War that you grew careless… or it was so desperate that you’d take the chance to give others a chance. Some of us can’t read. There are others who need a copyist to write letters for them. You don’t speak much and spend your time with your brother Danil in the war. It was my mistake to offer so bluntly, not knowing your connection with the boss.”

“Ah, so you're telling me you found out that I have a working brain?”

Kimball stared for a second before barking into a hard throatful laugh. He patted Karl’s shoulder repeatedly.

“Aye, it is, and I don’t think you buy any word that I speak, Mr. Alden. You see, even your brother told me eloquently as well.”

“So he told you to fuck off. Don’t mind him. He has issues with your affiliations, Kimball.”

“But you sir, have no issues. You look at me partially and dispassionately. You are thinking of benefits and the cost of such benefits. That is why I must confess that I cannot tell you lies. Half-truths won’t work on the partial.”

“Truthfully, Kimball? It’s my guts that told me that I shouldn’t. And my guts told me that although it is beneficial. The risk is too great and tainting that I’d rather keep the bridge open, but not cross it.”

“Wise words. I remember that. Anyway, I hope that you keep us on your mind if you do become a surgeon. Many of the combat medics are going to be doing the same.”

“I can see that. Becoming a medic seems profitable in the long run. Not to mention the amount of cripples we have because of the war.”

“Aye, I reckon that there are a lot of birthing that is going to happen, Mr. Alden. Many of our dearest friends here have burning on their loins. They have forgotten it after many years in the war.”

“Ah, is it the same to you?”

“I have my fill on the island. The island only had a few who would be willing to sleep with man. They are too virtuous for my own good. One loose woman among many.”

“So they are aching eh.”

Kimball looked at him as if he was an oddity. “Are you not? As a man of discipline and great courage… even you surely want the embrace of a woman after fighting so long?”

Karl thought it. “Perhaps, but my mind right now is to reach the Avaios.”

“A single-minded man with a mission. I can respect that. But you should allow yourself some pleasures once in a while, Mr. Alden. There are times where a man must not hold back. Think about it, eh? If we reach the ports of Villen, I’ll be sure to treat you well with one of the most wonderful courtesans that krons could buy. If you would allow me to do so.”

Kimball thumped his shoulder. He strode back to the table leaving Karl alone. It would be nice…

As he went deep into his thoughts he saw a blurry image. It was an image of a tearful woman holding on to someone. Then the woman lost consciousness. A cup of wine rolled under the table. Karl did not know if the woman was killed or was merely asleep. It was one of those dreams that he had that was clear and life-like that sometimes he thought to himself if it was real. Nonetheless, he swept the thought aside.

He buttoned his overcoat and watched the party while taking sips of the beer. It had gotten less cold since his chat with Kimball. Reach Villen, take the train in Ripelfalch, then to Alburg, and then the river boat to Schom, and travel to Oberngenken. Then take the train in Weiler and reach Eisenfel.

“Three-hundred sixty-one miles. Still so far.”

Karl leaned on the railing while staring at the cloudless skies. For the first time he didn’t have to worry about some patrol boat sinking them to the bottom of the ocean. 

6