Chapter 9 – Shared Travels
109 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shared Travels      

Imposing was one word to describe him. Lynda had always believed that there was something about people who could exude such auras. Ever since the end of the war she had seen people with such aura like him. The air around them changes based on their composure and mood.

Karl Von Alden. She had known this person ever since she caught a glimpse of him being taken in the hospital. He had suffered a complete mental breakdown after fighting in the final battle of the Great War.

The nurses had caught sight of him and were intrigued. Even the soldiers of the war would come to take a peek at one of the people who made a difference in the war. Magic shooter, Hundred Soldier, there were silly nicknames like that made for him and there was this title where he is called a butcher. Most of the time he was asleep and in daze. It was only after a while that he regained his senses. Some of the nurses tried, but it was hard to speak to a man who had such an imposing gaze.

Lynda hadn’t come into contact with him during his stay. It was only when they boarded the ferry heading to Villen that she got another peek at Karl. The man was taciturn. He kept out of the party and spoke only when he was required. She heard his discussion with Kimball. The sleazy man who wanted to recruit people into his group. Many of the young men had eyes on her. She was confident in her looks. And she was finally returning to get another chance as a stage actress or a singer.

Since it was a long road ahead. Lynda needed someone to be her shield. It was a long-shot but she chose the most imposing one. There was a general unspoken rule among the soldiers not to disturb him. It was a form of respect to the person who had managed to keep them alive. Even a sleazebag like Kimball didn’t dare to lie to those imposing green eyes that seemed to intrude on one’s soul after he asked.

She did the first trick in her book with the pipe smoke. But it failed for the reason that was someone who didn’t smoke at all. She tried to lead the conversation, but she couldn’t stir it in the direction she wanted to. Somehow, she then understood why Kimball talked so honestly instead of trying to be vague. The man spoke calmly but his defenses were up.

“What? I only asked that for the duration of our trip you act as my shield from your friends. I have my ambitions and perhaps it is strange, but I do not wish to be engaged to any men while I have not fulfilled my dream.”

She told him truthfully. There was acknowledgment in those green orbs of his. Lynda began to talk about her aspirations. Her eyes gazed into his face, waiting for expressions that she would usually see on those who would spat on her dreams. As minutes passed, that expression never came, he remained calm, polite, and toneless.

He was willing to listen. Lynda felt quite ashamed to have her schemes easily revealed. She felt this natural ecstasy among dandies. That natural smile. The casual and forgiving manner he acts to. Lynda couldn’t react negatively since it felt natural to her. But most of it was attributed to that imposing yet well-shaped appearance. A muscular build that  was perfect for his military service dress.  There was a coercive power in those green irises of his. She noticed that there was a scar on his upper left brow.

She gave approval in men who would listen. Though Lynda felt a bit annoyed that he had no external reaction to her. She examined herself and was sure that there was nothing wrong with her appearance. Lynda would be lying if she didn’t find it refreshing to be treated like this. She was usually the one who was leading on. Though she got a feeling that the other party somewhat didn’t care. As she continued to interact with him, She found herself not regretting becoming friends with him. Lynda found it annoying that she lost so easily while confidently taking out a chessboard. Defeating her in four moves and eight moves.  He played skillfully without a stir in his expression. She did try her best and lasted nineteen turns. After their last chess match, the canteen had become populated with soldiers. Those who saw her with him pretended to look away. Their faces clearly saying that it was a loss that someone had gotten to her. Lynda was truly confident with her looks. Her voice was sweet enough to attract easily impressionable men to do her bidding.

But as she continued interacting with the soldier called Karl Von Alden. She realized that a single-minded man like this wasn’t so bad. There was something charming about a man who was focused on his goals. Behind that imposing look. The dispassionate was a man who was eager to become a physician.

The two got out of the canteen of the ferry. Soft light coated the entirety of the ferry as she saw Karl wordlessly started to the cabin he rented on the ferry. Lynda stayed on the port-side of the ferry to watch the sunrise. When the orange tint of the skies became blue. She headed straight to her cabin that she rented. It was not far from the cabin that Karl had rented. It was a single bed room that cost her a lot. But being a nurse had its benefits. She was lying about the need for a discount, when she herself would be given one for serving her country. It was less compared to the soldiers who fought in the frontlines, but nonetheless was still enough for Bluebirds like her.

She took the fur coat that she wore and then fished something out of her pocket. It was a badge with a blue bird biting a leaf on it. It was proof that in the war she had helped. Behind this badge was her service number and initials of her name.

Lynda took a rest on her bed. She closed her eyes. And old hazy memories appeared before her. She wasn’t always on the island. She only spent three years on the island while she spent five years on other fields of battle. Nurses like her were protected and even those who were daring didn’t dare to touch them, knowing that they would be the one saving them. There are those who tried to assault her and molest her. But thankfully she wasn’t part of the unfortunate ones who had been pushed down.

In her dreams she saw herself on a stage wearing a glittering red dress. Holding a microphone she sang for thousands of people while winking and dancing. The people showed her love and stood under the spotlight, sweating, exhausted, but having the time of her life.

But her dream changed again. This time she was next to a doctor. She assisted the doctor. Carried surgical tools and then saw the smiles on her patient. She found herself walking in a hospital ward with white curtains and chalky white walls. On her arms was a clipboard. And she wore her white, long-skirted uniform under an apron.

When she was a club singer no one looked at her with respect. They only saw an entertainer with dazzling looks. Only when she became a nurse after the club she was singing in was closed because of the Great War. She was lacking funds. And the only way to survive was to either take a step on grimy factories or serve as a bluebird.

She chose the latter since becoming a nurse was at least marketable. She would be able to get skills while in service. She learned a lot during the eight years of war. Lynda herself was surprised that she didn’t back out after a month or a year. There were many like her who found out that they wanted to continue. 

“So you are leaving soon, right, Lynda?

“I am. You really are going to become a doctor?”

“I have the funds now. And I think after spending so much time here. I wanted to do better than a singer. I earned a lot during my time as a singer. Many wanted me and I liked seeing their gazes at me. But you know what Ly? I realized now that I hated it. They only looked at me because I was their eye candy. One day, I… too wanted to be respected. Not for my voice. Not for my looks. I want them to see me better than some woman they would notice and forget. I want to be better than that.”

She recalled the voice of her friend. Edith Cavil was her name. She was a woman who was a singer. She was quite popular as well. But because of the Great War, she too had served as a bluebird. At first, like Lynda, she hated the blood, the wounds, the screams and gore. The artillery was hammering the ground. They hated it. They loathed every sound and scenery of the war.

But among the ladies that she was with. Edith Cavil stayed. Among the fifteen nurses that initially joined the team she was in. There were only five who stayed. She and Edith remained as bluebirds who served throughout the war. Although they disagreed, she and Edith became friends, and supported each other as ladies of war. It was because of their service in the front that they were sent to the backline of the war. 

She hasn't seen Edith for weeks now. After she left the island to pursue a medical degree as a doctor. She wasn’t going to go back to her old profession. She was a bluebird, not a songbird any longer.

Lynda didn’t understand why she recalled her friend. How that beautiful and wondrous singer would just give up on her former profession and take on a harder road that might lead nowhere.

Lynda opened her eyes. Her long eyelashes filter out the soft light from the cabin lamp. She rubbed her eyes, took a look at her fur coat, and then set it aside. She instead reached out to her trolley case where her mantle was. It was a sky blue mantle with the bluebird on it. She thought about what happened yesterday and finally decided that she would not wear that itchy fur coat. Of course, she wasn’t going to abandon it. But she would sell it later. Even the shameless men who had tried to sleep with her would realize who she was. They were far more respectful and polite to those who wear symbols that they respect. It was a bias that she should have thought deeply about. Then again, she wanted to wear this mantle because of a dream of her friend.

To get out of the cabin she only needed to climb the metal stairway leading up the upper deck. Once she was out of the deck, she spotted the soldiers chatting to one another. One of the soldiers spotted her, but upon glancing at the mantle, he looked away. Lynda walked around the deck to sightsee. As expected, the soldiers were far more polite because of her symbols. She felt foolish for not realizing this until now.

Lynda went back to the middle deck and spotted Karl speaking to a soldier called Emil. Lynda approached the two and gave an introductory smile. The man called Emil was smitten for a moment, but he returned back to normal.

“Ah, I told Emil about how you are going to come with us. Hmm,” his eyes were on the mantle for a moment, “it’ll be taking trains and stagecoaches since some of the roads are probably unpassable because of the air raids. We have to take the long route, if that’s okay with you.”

Karl showed a map where he traced their route of travel. It was similar to her travel plan as well. She didn’t have much to say about the route, so instead she chatted with the two men who she would be traveling with for a short time. It felt reasonable that she should know who the people she was traveling with better.

3