Chapter 16 – Home
95 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Home   

Avaios was Karl’s home. Foster Father had deep love for Avaios City even though he was a traveling Doctor for the Verloren Einsen. After Karl got out of the train station. He started parting ways with Lynda who was heading to the next train.

Karl stood next to her. She stood holding on to her luggage. The wind ruffled Lynda’s hair. The bustle and rustle of the city of Avaios was eerily calming to me.

“I threw my coat. Like you said, it was an awful coat that didn’t matter. It came to me that I like wearing my mantle more than my fur coat. But at the same time I can’t let go of my dreams so easily. Why are we like this, Karl?”

“Because we are simply who we are? Truthfully, the mantle suits you more than the fur coat. Still, I hope you make it, Lynda. You’re probably smart enough to understand what you want.”

She pouted at him. Her brows meet together.

“What’s with the ‘probably’ on that? I am smart.”

She walked around and faced me. She looked up and gave me a kiss on the side of the cheek. “Let’s send letters, okay?”

“I don’t know.”

Her brows meet again.

“Fine. Geez, I wish you well, Lynda.”

Lynda waved her hand. She boarded the next train headed to her destination. It wasn’t long, but Karl appreciated her companionship. It was good to talk to someone while on a trip. After that, he watched Lynda go her own way.  When the train left the station, Karl took the first street and directly headed to his home in Elford Street. There was a communal stagecoach so he took it. Along the way Karl noticed that there was a tram line installed in the city. The double-decker tram was mostly filled with returning soldiers. Most of the soldiers occupied the top of the double-decker. The two-story buildings on both sides of the streets. The banners crisscrossing the streets made me think of a festival. The flag of the United Provinces fluttered smoothly with the background of the sky. Most of the civilians were wearing suits and dresses. Women wore long dresses and skirts. There are those who have laces and shirtwaists. Most of the men wore jackets and ties.

It was a familiar sight that he didn’t think he’d get to see. Avaiaos was always busy no matter what day it was. The joy of the victory after such a great tragedy was still in the air. But he wonders if they remember those who had given their lives for the sake of this victory? This peace that they are drowning themselves in. Karl kept his thoughts to himself. He watched the streets change until he recognized a familiar brick and mortar building. It was a bakery that he would visit once in a while with his foster father. The familiar seating on the side remained unchanged.

As he stared at the seating on the side of the bakery. A barrel-like man who wore a chestnut colored apron appeared from the back of the bakery. When he spotted Karl his face curved into a smile.

“Oh my goodness, that you Karl?”

“Louis!”

Karl entered the bakery. The bell chimed as he pushed the door open. The barrel-like man wrapped Karl in his embrace before repeatedly thumping his shoulders. He led Karl inside his bakery where he displayed his bread.

“Karl Von Alden, I was hoping that you would survive. And you did, which is great. I don’t see Danil. What happened to him?”

Louis’s face grew solemn, probably thinking something bad. Karl dispelled his thoughts by shaking his head and answering.

“Danil is fine. He merely left to become a surgeon. I myself am going to be a physician.”

“Good. That’s good. It’s good that old friends are alive. Rasil returned home two days ago. We buried him in the graveyard in district 3. I think he will like the sunny hill there.”

“How did he pass?”

“Infection. He died in his sleep.”

“Lucky.”

“Isn’t it?”

It was indeed lucky of him. Some don’t even come home in pieces. There are others who are buried under the dirt, forever lost in the fields of battle where they died. Rasil was an old friend who grew up with him. Although they weren’t always together because of the occupation of his foster father. During those times they were, they would play around when he got a chance. Karl was mostly a military brat living in the military camp. Foster father rarely comes to his home unless he wants to seek a reference about a treatment. During that time he was able to play with Rasil.

“I guess it's only the two of us here in Elford Street.”

“Yeah. I assume that you’re not staying that long either?”

“I don’t know. I might go out and take the physician’s test. I have knowledge regarding treatments and since I’ve worked as a combat medic. I think they should allow me to pass. I just have to submit my own thesis.”

“Thesis...huh, that’s complicated.”

“I have an idea. I could probably skip a few steps because of my current rank. But other than that, I'd be happy if they just make me an aspirant. I might apply to become a bakery apprentice.”

“Don’t jest. Besides, you can just go back to the military.”

Karl frowned. He thought about it. If he doesn't have the talent to become a physician. Karl might just return to being a soldier. He has a high rank. Karl has many merits that they might even give him a desk job. He didn’t have to fight to make a living. Nonetheless, the affairs of the military, and the coming troubles made him hesitate. So he answered simply.

“Who knows? So, do I get a free sample?”

“Of course. Welcome back friend!”

Louis smiled. Karl ate in Louis’s bakery for a while. He learned that from the past years. He stayed in the bakery. His barrel-like appearance and disposition made it impossible for him to join the war. Even if they had sent him to the field. He’d be just a cook. Not to mention that the mayor of the city had refused to send more young men after our batch was sent away.

After eating in Louis’s bakery. Karl finally returned to the home that he’ve not seen for half a decade. The timbered two-story building with square windows on the front. And a brick chimney sticking out made him nostalgic for a moment. The garden was somewhat withered. Most of the herbs that were growing in the pots were missing. Leaves were on the walkway of the entrance. From the looks of it, he has to spend time cleaning the house.

Karl entered through the front door. The living room was covered in white canvas sheets. There was dust gathered. Karl checked the power box and turned on the power. The light bulbs were blinking before it illuminated the living room. To the right of the living room was the dining table. On the back was the kitchen. Karl climbed up on the wooden staircase and made his way to his old room. A single-bed with a study table. And a framed picture of his foster father, Danil, and the aunties in the military camp.

Karl took the picture frame with him. It has been eight years and he still can’t believe that most of the aunties have passed away. They were old widows who joined the military. They didn’t have kids so they instead cherished an abandoned kid like their own. Karl was still young while they were old. So he wasn’t surprised that they passed on after eight years. Karl even learned that one of his aunts got herself killed trying to drag a soldier out of a ditch. The rest had brutal ends while the others just passed away.

The people that he knew were getting less. But at the same time he had met a few. He moped around his bedroom for a second. The dust around was making his nose stuffy so he opened the windows. He searched the cleaning closet and found the dustpan and broom. He started with the second floor first before he went and cleaned the first floor.

Karl spent the day cleaning. When the sun decided to sleep. He went to the diner just two blocks away from Elford Street. The diner was a building with a feel to it. Entering the diner you’d notice a reindeer mounted on the entrance. Booth tables and chairs. As he sauntered in the diner he caught a glance of the returning soldiers meeting their glasses. The woman behind the counter was a blonde with a braid.

“Zoe, how ya doin?”

“Well, I’ll be!”

She vaulted over the counter. She almost kicked another patron’s face.

“Karl Von Alden. Didn’t think you’d be back.”

“In complete pieces.”

“Danil?”

“Back to trying to be a surgeon.”

“Ah, that’s good. So the same stuff?”

“Of course, I wouldn't want to miss some braised pork after I got back. The madam is still working in the kitchen, I hope?”

“Course’ she is. Half of our patrons ain’t eating if it isn’t mama. Tell you what, I tell mama that you are here so she can give you a discount.”

“I won’t say no.”

She smirked. Karl went to his usual seat and waited for his food. Outside there were people walking hand to hand under the streetlamp. Most of them felt like they were glued together. Some even still wear their trench coats to differentiate themselves. Karl still wore his so the patrons would throw a glance or two. Some raised their glasses of beer in thanks to his service.

It wasn’t only him getting the same gesture. The folks here were thankful for fighting for the empire. Eight years of war and a lot of young kids returning in coffins or in pieces. It didn’t matter whether it was the right choice or not to send them out for war. But they could respect what they weren’t able to do.

His meal was delivered with the madam carrying it. She patted him on the back before placing the hot meal on his table. Zoe calmed her mother and told her to go back to the kitchen. Muttering about something he had not heard. Zoe came back, sliding in the booth.

“Glad you return home, Karl.”

“I’m the same.”

“So what are you doing now?”

“Go and try to be a physician. Guess I ain’t that far from the old man about becoming one.”

“Following the steps eh, for me I might inherit the business. Same with Louis. Mama ain’t exactly young.”

“I see. You and Raul are going to run the place then?”

“Might. He has a bike shop in Riften Street.”

“Oh? I was looking for a bike myself. Think you can ask him if he has good ones? I’d be best if it had a good mileage.”

“I might. He might be happy enough to give you a hand. He’s been eager to get this shop open.”

“I met him two years ago. Good thing he got an early leave.”

“For once I was glad he got shot in the gut. Though he still does contractual repairs for the automobiles that are parked in the camp. Earn him krons when no customers are buying.”

“Good for him.”

Zoe stared at him then smirked.

“Glad to have the boys back. If you need some help in cleaning your house. Don’t forget to ask. Then again, you smell like dust already.”

“Appreciate it, Zoe.”

Karl nodded.

The night continued. The warmth of the welcomes seeped in Karl’s heart. He had been anxious, but it was good to hear from old friends. The meal. The familiar scent and the faces was a reminder that there was something more beyond the fighting and the killing. 

He thought that the city would become a stranger to him.

He was glad that he was wrong about that.

3