Chapter 18 – A Start of A Partnership   
90 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Start of A Partnership   

The districts of Avaios are divided into ten districts. The district where his home was located is called Duskstar, named after a jester back in olden times. It was said that the jester had quite a fondness for sprinkling dust from his star-shaped instrument. When the Jester named Duskstar died. The King of Avaios named the district where he came from.

Most of the streets of Avaios were paved with stone. But as Karl walked through the stone road he saw specialized equipment for repairing the road with this thick gooey material called asphalt. It smelled awful so Karl left the street. He took a tram ride and sat on the open-air deck on the top of the tram. A man was wearing a newspaper while the tram moved. A couple was sightseeing while their arms were linked. On the sidewalk Karl saw a guardsmen watching kids flipping coins.

It took about seven minutes until the tram entered heather valley through a formal street. Heather valley was protected by a curtain wall that separated it from Duskstar and Rainy’s Crossing. The curtain walls surrounded the Heather Valleys.

Taking a right upon entering the walls of the heather valley. Karl took his time walking  through the boulevard until he saw a citadel towering over the two-story limestone buildings covered in white plaster and copper roof tiles. Karl spotted a two-way street leading to the entrance of the citadel. There was a checkpoint at the entrance of this street. Karl strolled on this street for a few seconds before taking a right on this living street where there were storefronts. Karl walked for a while before eyeing the postal company that offered air mail.

Karl pushed on the door. The bell chimed as if notifying his entry. Upon entry he was greeted by a woman dressed in a blue coat and a long gray skirt up to her ankle. She was holding onto her luggage. Blue eyes and long braided hair. She was quite a looker. Karl snapped out of his daze and stepped aside. The woman passed by while offering a courteous nod. A man suddenly ran from the inner office, catching up to the woman. Karl walked to the reception where he took out his parcel. He paid for the air mail and asked if he could be notified through a telephone line.

The office was quite luxurious for a postal company. Viole’s Postal Company was quite well-known because of the owner. Viole Hopkins was quite the pilot and was one of the many aces that survived after the war. There was a cast-iron ceiling fan in the lobby. Most of the clerks were either typing on their typewriters or were chatting to the customers. A comfortable scent of paper and with the wooden features of the company.

A tall man that was about six-four exited. He rushed to the woman who Karl saw in the entrance and clapped his hands. From the looks there was a problem that they were facing. The man’s face was familiar to Karl. How could it not be when the man’s portrait was on the wall?

Viole Hopkins. A tall and leanly muscular man with a chiseled face that you’d immediately recognized for quite a charmer. In front of the woman he was quite lost. Although Viole Hopkins was in his mid-thirties. It seems like he was unable to properly express himself in front of this woman.

It was then that Viole Hopkins saw Karl sitting quietly. His face became bright. His lips curved up as if scheming something. He led the woman to Karl. His hands joined. Karl got a bad feeling from him. 

“Karl Von Alden. It seems like you are home. May I ask what you are here for? Also, let me introduce you to Alicia Gardenia. She’s one of the talented ghostwriters here.”

“A ghostwriter?”

“Greetings,” Alicia said.

“Yes, she is a ghostwriter, one of the most famous ones. She has helped in playwrights and is even planning to ghostwrite for Arthur Delaware. You know him?”

“I have an idea who Arthur Delaware is, Mr. Hopkins.”

“Just call me Viole, really. It’s not like we don’t know each other.”

“So ghostwriting?”

Karl looked to Alicia.

“Yes. President. May you tell me why you drag me here? I need to get to Mr. Delaware.”

“I know. But the thing is that I need you to be protected. Do you understand?”

“I can protect myself, President,” Alicia said.

“Let us not argue about this,” Viole said.

“So how can I help you two?” Karl interrupted.

Viole looked at Karl as if he was a savior. He cleared his throat. He glanced at Ms. Alicia before speaking up.

“I need you escort Ms. Gardenia here to her destination. Only for a week, Karl. Don’t worry. I’ll pay you properly.”

“I am not a bodyguard?”

“Yes, yes, but I need someone to take care of Ms. Gardenia here. She’s going to a rather troubled place and there might be a problem. No, please let me persuade you, Karl.”

Karl nodded. Happily, Viole Hopkins reasoned to Karl how he needed an escort for the Miss. Although Karl insisted that he was not a bodyguard or a hired mercenary. Viole kept on persisting Karl that he’s one of the few people that he could trust to guard his writers. Miss Alicia was bothered by his overprotectiveness, but could only sigh pitifully at her boss.

“I didn’t know that you were dipping your toes in publishing as well, Sir.”

“Many of my authors send their parcels through us. You see, a benefactor of mine wanted to establish a publishing company so I thought that we might as well cooperate.”

“Currently studying, Sir. Don’t know if I could escort Ms. Gardenia.”

“Ah, that reminds me. You are sending a parcel?”

“I am.”

“For Sir Alden?”

“I needed to know.”

“Yes, then you should know that it will take weeks for your parcel to be processed even if you paid for the air mail.”

“Customs that bad?”

“They lost a war. We are throwing demands left and right. It’s pretty petty, but it can't be helped.”

That was bad news. He wanted immediate news from his father. His brows meet. His fingers tapped his thighs as he processed the information. Viole continued on. Explaining to Karl how recent regulations and processing have become a bother because of this problem. He then finally explained why he was asking for a favor like this. It was a big one.

“So there are threats to Mr. Delaware’s life. You think that they’d try to kill him? Ms. Gardenia, you still want to go despite knowing that?” Karl had to ask.

Ms. Gardenia looked at the wall then to the luggage. She behaved as if she couldn't’ t fully express her thoughts.

“Sir Delaware wants to write a play about the war and its tragedy. It is an ode to the fallen and I wish to help Sir Delaware in creating this piece.”

Karl stared at her. “Are you a bluebird, Miss?”

“Women’s Guard,” Viole said. He sat next to Viole. “She worked as a radio interceptor for six years.”

“Must be that threatening to Sir Delaware if you are this eager to get a bodyguard for her.”

“I would have hired one, but there is no one who’d take the job. Karl, have you really not heard how infamous Sir Delaware is?”

“A bit. His voice is part of a radio propaganda right?”

“There are many places in the Empire right now listening to his pre-recorded voices. This led to some hating his voice to the point of wanting to put a bullet on his head. Not to mention that Mr. Delaware is hoping to complete his work. Sir Arthur Delaware isn’t exactly young and recently there were accidents that prevented him from knowing how to write. Hence he he had dired Ms. Gardenia to ghostwrite and become his copyist.”

“His hands not working?”

“He suffered a stroke. He can’t move his legs and his hands cannot write. He is bound to a wheelchair as well.”

“Must be tough. So you are planning to send Ms. Gardenia here alone?”

“I usually wouldn’t have to worry, but there is enough of a threat. That’s why I’m imploring you, Karl. In fact, I could hire you to become part of my company. You are looking for employment, yes?”

“I am currently trying to get my license as a physician.”

“But you don’t have a job, yes?”

“Yes.”

“How about this. I’ll hire you as long as you want to stay. You can work a clerk and also escort Ms. Gardenia to some of her jobs sometimes. I know you, Karl. You know how to write and you’ve been educated well. I’m sure that you have your pension and I know I’m asking a lot.”

“You are indeed asking a lot from me, Viole.”

Ms. Gardenia stood silently. Her hair timidly fluttered because of the wind from the ceiling fan. She must be quite dissatisfied with Viole, but was keeping it to herself. It was a tempting offer and if anything. Having a job in a postal company was worth having. Not to mention Viole’s company was quite large already. It was beneficial and he could always use the air transport for his means since most of the letters asking for a doctor come from postal companies.

“Are you looking for a doctor in your service?”

Viole raised his brows trying to understand what Karl was saying. He then nodded as if understanding where Karl was going with this.

“Ah, so you want to be our company doctor?”

“Are you hiring?”

“You have quite an idea.”

“It makes sense to me. So, are you hiring?”

“I am. There was a memorandum notice by our government on how  there must be a change in some sectors. I was already looking for someone who can provide healthcare services for  the company and treat some of our postmen.. and customers... .so it can’t be helped then.”

“I do need work and krons after all.”

“Fine. You’ll be our Consultant Physician. I’ll pay for your ticket too. So can you pack up and accompany Ms. Gardenia in Sapirtsa?”

“Sapirtsa? That far?”

“Sir Delaware is staying as far from anyone. He has a mansion in Sapirtsa. Besides, Sapirtsa is quiet and comfortable. You’d enjoy your time there and Mr. Delaware’s hospitality is quite something.”

Karl made more agreements with Viole in his office while Ms. Gardenia went to the break room to rest. Viole was quite thorough about Karl’s employment and with Karl staring down at him. He couldn’t make additional or sketchy clauses. He also commented that he was going to make sure that Karl gets his license sooner than later.

It was already a given that Karl would become one. Though he still had to take care of some of the documents proving his skills. But that can wait. Karl just needed to submit monthly papers detailing his treatments to the medical board.

After some time in Viole’s office. Karl saw Ms. Gardenia tapping her travel boots on the floor. She walked in front of him. Her eyes were staring. “It looks like for the next few weeks we’d be partners.”

“I’ll be in your care. Ms. Gardenia.”

“Please, just call me Alicia. I hope the President didn’t force you into this.”

“Not at all. It’s abrupt, but I guess he got me figured out. I do need money and with how things are. I think I might need this to focus on something.”

“Even though it's dangerous?”

“Yeah.”

Karl offered a hand. Alicia shook his hand.

“Do you box, Miss?”

“I know some tricks.”

Karl chatted with Alicia for a while before taking his leave to pack his things.  He hired a carriage and went back home immediately and packed his clothes. He also stopped at Louis's bakery, hoping that he’d watch over the house.

He wore a charcoal overcoat with gray lining, and a belted back with no buttons. Karl adjusted the collar of the button shirt underneath his overcoat and then pulled on his red tie as he looked for Alicia. Spotting Alicia, he was given a ticket and the two boarded the train heading to Sapirtsa. It was an abrupt decision, but Karl wanted to get his mind off about what his father was doing and avoid being visited by people from the government. He wanted to get away from Avaios while they were still around, suspecting him of working with his father or with Mooney. He didn’t accept this job because of a whim after all. If anything this was a chance to escape their gaze for a while.

4