Chapter 21 – The Twilight of An Old Man   
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Twilight of An Old Man   

Arthur Delaware looked behind the window. He saw the two enter casually and head inside his mansion.

His butler stood behind him holding a report.

“So?”

“Karl Von Alden, second lieutenant.  He is a veteran of the war with a lot of merits to his name.”

Arthur took the report. He scanned it.

On the paper were acknowledgements of his feats and the battles that the second lieutenant fought. Compared to his rather calming look. The soldier was a beast of battle. He was one of the many who fought throughout the war and contributed greatly. A Ghost behind the lines. A Magical Shooter that would always find his target.

“Mr. Karl is so impressive. I’d thought that he was talking nonsense in some of our talks. It looks like I was the one who knew nothing.”

He coughed lightly. He handed the paper back to the butler.

“Sir, what do we do?”

“Nothing. Mr. Karl is not affiliated with anyone other than Verloren Einsen. He has no records in the Grand Duchy either. I heard it from Viole as well. He hired Karl Von Alden out of the blue because he was worried about his protégé. If Mr. Karl is here so I can breathe easier knowing that this transaction will go smoothly.”

Arthur had provoked members of the allied forces. Because of his provocations and words there were groups who have started defaming him. Telling him to retract his words. Arthur wouldn’t take back what he said in the council.

“So our young men are supposed to die like dogs? Is that it? To die because we send them to their deaths!”

He was angry seeing the documents. The awfulness of their strategies. The disregard for the young men that fought in the war because of ambition. The alliance could have avoided going to war. But they insisted on it. And now millions of young men are dead because of it. There was nothing wrong with fighting for their homes. Arthur simply couldn’t stand the idea of these people profiting from the death of many. When Arthur had a show. He saw a soldier, a young man, in his wheelchair, coming up to him.

Arthur heard the story of the young man.

And it broke Arthur’s heart. He always thought that at his age he wouldn’t return to politics, but in the last years he did his best to keep them from sending people to their deaths. His hard work paid off and yet here he was nearing his death. It was mostly because of how his body had collapsed because of a gas attack when he was close to the battlefield. Arthur couldn’t imagine how horrible it must have been. Just a whiff of that terrible gas had already made his old body this ill. What about those who were closer?

“Then what about the Miss?”

“I’ll agree to what Viole wants. Of course, most of my wealth is going to charity and to the employees. It’s not like I can take them with me in death, no? Old friend, I hope that you won't refuse me.”

The bullet said nothing. Arthur smiled faintly as he looked outside again. His play was starting well with how much of it are fascinatingly written well by Ms. Alicia. Her use of words. The way she made corrections and identified what he wanted was wonderful. He didn’t have to worry about the state of the play. He might have underestimated her and asked for another week. But it looks like three was going to be enough.

Long enough for him to speak his last words. Arthur wanted to write his last play with his own hands. He wanted to type in the words. But it seems like his hands wouldn’t let him. Truthfully, he wanted to write a dream that once had, but compromised by mixing the ode to this soldier and his dream. It was a mix of what he wanted, but couldn’t have.

“Would you leave me for a second?”

“As you wish.”

His butler left him alone. Arthur stared at the scenery before him. He closed his eyes and thought of a foolish thing he did when he was young. Lately, all he had been doing was recollecting the choices he made.

If he could go back in time.

If he could just do it again.

He would have found the courage to introduce himself to childhood crush. It was silly. It was very silly how someone like him was thinking this. Of all the affairs that he had in life. And even if he had a son or two out there. He couldn’t let go of the memory that he held dearly in his life.

“Oh dear Catherine,” he said to himself. “If only I had learned courage back then. Would I have made you mine? Would you have grown old with me? Oh Catherine, if only I could recall your sweet voice and giggle. The way you smile. Like an image of an old dream.”

He recalled the day of the graduation ceremony of his high-school years. He recalled the trees that fell on the school’s tree-lined pathway. How everyone carried their diploma, smiling, and eager to continue their studies or become a man or woman of society.

He recalled being foolish enough to stand in the cobblestone road waiting for her to pass by. He recalled all the courage that he had in those days. The courage that then left him feeling so helpless.

“Congratulations!”

She was undoubtedly surprised by his sudden congratulations. But even then her confusion lasted only a moment before she placed her hands behind her back and smiled so gorgeously that he felt his breath taken away.

If he had more courage that day. He would have asked her out. But his heart was young and he was focused on doing what he wanted.

He saw her leave. From what he could remember she and her family returned to their homeland. There were days where he wanted to know where she went, but was too afraid of what may have found. Perhaps, she had her own family and married someone she loved. She would have not looked at him, and he doubts that he could remember her.

“What if?”

He thought of it. If he was married to her. Where would he have been? Would he be close to her? Would she have held his hand as he became sick? Would he have been a father to his children?

It was all nothing more than dreams. Perhaps, delusions of an old man nearing his death. Still, he couldn’t help but think of the possibilities. It would be so absurd to think that he hated and regretted the life he lived. But Arthur wondered how happy it would be.

But that was a future that he let go. Not because of anything complicated other than he had no courage at that moment. But the time for regrets was over.

Arthur got out of that memory. He returned to his state. He felt bothered as if there was an itch on his chest that he couldn’t remove. He stayed quiet in his room. He then reached out to the bell on his wheelchair and rang it.

The maid that served him appeared. It was Annie. She was a woman with a bob cut and was lacking any makeup. She did so that people would not recognize her so easily. After all, she was quite an astounding person. If people saw her working as a maid. They would conclude that it was simply not her.

“Annie, how are your studies?”

“Teacher?”

Annie was one of the few he sponsored. She was quite a bright student. Her grades were perfect and her attitude was just right. Among the things he would leave behind. She would be the one handling some of his business and would own most of what he has after they are given to his employees as benefits.

“Please, Annie, how are you?”

“I’m fine. Although it takes me back how you would dress me into this kind of outfit, Teacher.”

“It suits you. But the role isn’t really meant for you. Your colleagues would be quite shocked to see the iron woman being dressed like this.”

“Please, Teach, they wouldn’t dare. Besides, you wouldn’t let me take care of you if I didn't dare to dress like this. It’s quite unfair doing this to your daughter.”

Daughter… if this was before. He would have laughed it off. But looking at it now. Did she really want to become his child? The awful playwright who has many relations with many women?

“Annie, were you my daughter?”

“Course I am,” Annie said. “I wouldn’t have your family name, Teacher.”

“Then why not call me father?”

“I have no right.”

“You have. Among the many I sponsored. You were one of the few who didn’t take away what you learned and never wrote back. You are certainly better than those other fools.”

That’s right. He did have a family. But only a few stayed close to him. Annie here was one of the few and even if she was faking it to get his wealth. At this point he couldn’t care. She deserved his wealth more than any sons or daughters. She was brilliant. His wealth would be safe with her.

“Teach, are you not going to heal yourself?”

“You know my reasoning.”

“But it is unreasonable.”

“It isn’t. You of all people should know why I’m letting myself go.”

The threat to his business. Even with all that he had built. The one thing that he did wrong was give those who have political power to dislike him. He simply didn’t want to be the reason why his people would lose what he has.

“Responsibility. That is what the Delaware name means. I am  being selfish actually. You may have to deal with so many things, especially from my enemies.”

“That’s why you don’t want to hand over your name, teach?”

“Sometimes I don’t know if you are trying to trip me up or not. It isn’t always about my concern for you, Annie.”

“I know. Teach, you should know better. They aren’t coming aren’t they?”

“They won’t. If I die from anything other than my own sickness. That would be putting a big target on their back. They wouldn’t touch me. They’re probably gloating and happily chatting about how God has decided to care for their enemy. But if anything I am thankful that we’ve spread that message about enemies trying to kill me.”

Even bastards like them weren’t going to kick a dying dog. Annie, who was listening, stood up and looked out of the window with her hands on her back.

“A great war ends and one of its best playwrights is soon going to be gone as well.”

“This new era doesn’t need old bones like me. It is the young who will herald the coming future.”

“Teacher, are you really not going to heal yourself? What if I begged you, teach?”

“Will you?”

“I will. If it means that you’d have a few more years.”

Arthur looked up, “Silly girl, don’t make a face like that when I’m not done yet.”

“Father, please, will you not?”

“I will not. Please understand, Annie. We are not of blood, but I know that you understand the weight that is on my shoulders well. If anything, I am quite thankful that I get to spend the rest of my remaining life writing a play.”

Annie nodded slowly. She turned around for a moment and wiped her face. She circled around Arthur and pushed his wheelchair.

“I understand, father.”

“You’ll be fine. If anything I am glad that I was wrong. It seems like this old man still has a family to speak of. Don’t ever be as stupid as me, Annie.”

“No, all that I have and what is good in me came from you father.”

“I’m glad to hear that coming from you.”

2