Chapter 24 – A Post-Death Visit   
68 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Post-Death Visit   

Ms. Annie Delaware tapped her fingers as she waited in the drawing room of her mansion. Her father was being processed. By her side was Kevin Gilbert, her associate, and head of her security. Along with him were two men holding two drum-magged rifles. Two trench-brooms that could fill their ‘acquaintances’ with bullets.

A man walked in wearing an overcoat and a double-breasted suit underneath it. A watch was hung around his breast pocket. He was six-foot tall. A toned soldier’s build. She couldn’t help but compare him to the man who was in the mansion. He wasn’t as muscular or broad-shouldered as Mr. Alden. Though the one thing they shared was the intenseness of their glare.

Thomas Mooney, current president of the Mooney Enterprise, entrepreneur, upstart, and a soldier who somehow managed to grow his business while fighting in the war. His tracks were always covered. 

His cool, calm, and collected demeanor and the way he locked his eyes made Annie put her guard up. He waved his palm upward and said, “My condolences, Ms. Delaware. Rough Stars was one of the plays that I’ve watched from your father.”

“Sit down, Mr. Mooney.”

He stared. Then he sat down and leaned back. He joined his fingers and looked her in the eyes. Ms. Annie fidgeted with her fingers before speaking.

“Last time you wanted my business. Now you came here to my house just a few days after my father’s death.”

“How much does this cost?”

Thomas pointed at the vase. “A valuable base. I believe it’s Ghan craftsmanship”

She glared quietly. Thomas Mooney lifted his lips slightly. He leaned back and looked at her from top and down.

“Stuhach and Schal are sister-cities. Schal is peculiar enough that it has two similar looking cities. Am I right?”

“Schenburg and Schweierken are off the menu. Mr. Thomas Mooney, you do understand that the Wubutach river connected to Lake Kipten is off-limits,” she looked sideways. Kevin Gilbert handed the paper to the government.

“What’s this?”

Thomas picked it up. “Ah, notice from the allied forces. Warning ‘mobsters’ and ‘ill-intentioned’ individuals. I have a friend, Ms. Delaware. They are quite expensive friends to have and they promised me the river route from Schal to Selbachlen.”

“And I am saying no.”

Thomas Mooney spread his fingers apart, “Let me address the problem. Selbachlen was promised to me. I invested a lot of money in Selbachlet, Madam. Half of my wealth went to procuring it and now I heard that Ms. Annie Delaware has been unauthorizing my men from moving my horses, goods, and people.”

There was a sudden drop in temperature as Thomas Mooney spoke so slowly. His face was like a sheet of ice and made a palm upward gesture.  Ms. Annie made a harsh swallow as she squinted.

“I said no,” she raised both brows. This time she said it so clearly as if a teacher was teaching a child words.

Mr. Thomas Mooney smiled, “Guess it really is tough being iron,” he looked at Kevin Gilbert. “You hitting it off with the Gilbert Family?”

She didn’t answer. Thomas Mooney continued. “Cuz from what I’ve been hearing. There have been talks about a certain family buying the ferries and barges. One of them is here.”

He threw a photo that made Kevin Gilbert narrow his eyes. Forcibly, Thomas Mooney stabbed a finger on the photo. “That ain't Delaware.  Ma’am, I respect your business. I always have a love for tough women. But this is business.”

She tilted her head up, “You understand that this alone can be a good reason to implicate you. Who’d they believe? A man suspected of criminal charges, thievery, and fraud? Or the woman who made their lives a bit better in the war?”

Thomas Mooney pressed down the photo. His nail digging into the picture. Then his expression softened. He leaned on the backrest of the chair and opened his palms.

“We can come to an agreement or disagree,” he looked at Kevin Gilbert and then back to Ms. Annie Delaware mechanically.

Ms. Annie’s face was dispassionate. She led Kevin Gilbert with her eyes and then leveled her gaze on Thomas Mooney.

“Most of your men are soldiers.”

“Good men they are. Don’t want them to fight. Hence I’m talking instead of bruising. I hope you understand where we are going with this.”

“I am in a bad mood lately. Mr. Thomas should understand.”

“What can we agree on, Madam?”

“The value of the Great Lake of Kipten is clear. Especially when the route that would bring the most profit. A stream of commerce. I have no reason to ally with you or make an agreement with you. Nonetheless, a group of soldiers would be beneficial.”

“This about the saboteurs?”

“Is it? Mr. Thomas. You have muscle. I have as well. What I lack is the ability to freely conduct operations like this. Truthfully, I already made a choice here. But you have been bothering me enough that it made me consider. Who’s your captain here?”

“Thorne, stay. Rest of you get out.”

“Boss?”

“Just get out. We only need four pairs of ears here.”

The rest of his men left the drawing room. Leaving only Kevin Gilbert, Annie Delaware, Thomas Mooney, and Thorne in the drawing room. Thorne and Gilbert glared at each other. Their weapons are ready to be taken out.

Ms. Annie slowly wiped her face. She rested her hand on the table and then leaned back. She took a dossier from Gilbert and threw it on the table. Thomas Mooney took the dossiers. He opened it and saw a list of names that came with photos. Details regarding the individuals and what their skillset was. Where did Annie Delaware get this information was something that Thomas Mooney wouldn't ask.  As he read his expression became slowly colder.

“A lot of Wiesenians here. Didn’t think they’d still have a fight in them.”

“They are part of a syndicate that you’ve been cooperating with.”

Thomas squinted, “Looks like they are in-contact with them at least. Supplying them with weapons and food.”

“It’s off-limits for a reason. The Great Lake is an important part of this alliance. It’s shape and form makes it easy to become a center of the economy. That’s why you are here. You can see the potential.”

“I do. It’s one of the reasons why many folks want to implicate me. I am a businessman. And this is nothing more than business. They understand what it would mean if I start an enterprise and get my foot dipped in the Great Lake. They see the lake as this treasure trove where gold would come out.”

It was a place filled with boundless opportunity. It’ll be the center of trading and how things are developing. It wouldn't be long until every man or woman who saw this chance would have their pockets filled.

Annie always believed in fairness in trade. But it doesn’t stop her from controlling the situation of the criminal market. It was obvious that removing the criminal elements would do nothing other than replace them with other new criminals. It would be far more efficient if they are the ones in control of the criminal market. Corruption was unavoidable. At least if they are in-charge then they have some rules settled in. Each family or start-ups would have someone to follow. Not cross the line.

“If you want to dip your toes in this lake. You have to play by our rules. You have potential, Mr. Mooney. Among the group you have muscle. We aren’t lacking ourselves. But yours have fresh and hardened veterans of nearly a decade of war.”

“What made you change your way?”

“Because you came here willingly. I admire your confidence. I really do. That’s why I am willing to talk now instead of doing nothing.”

Battle-hardened soldiers. That was one of the reasons at least. Not to mention that there are rumors regarding how much Thomas Mooney and his ‘enterprise’ has hoarded throughout the years. Military-grade armaments and contraband that would fetch a high price. If the economy breaks down then Thomas Mooney would have the capital and the men to stay afloat until the trouble passes by.

“So you want us to prove yourself,” Thomas picked up the dossier and handed it to Thorne. “My boys can do that. Are you going to give the papers?”

“We can work on a pact. As for the other family heads. They’ll agree with me. That’s why you are here in the first place instead of bothering them.”

“They said you were the most hospitable one.”

“I see.”

“Get rid of the saboteurs. We’ll have some of your ships pass by. Not at all of them however. I need you to prove yourself.”

Thomas Mooney loosened his shoulders. He slowly nodded and then offered a hand. “I’ll agree to this. You give us passage and I’ll have my boys hunt these fuckers down.”

Annie Delaware shook his hand and let go. Thomas Mooney pulled his hand back then joined his fingers. He leaned forward. This time there was a far more serious expression that he had.

“Would you answer this?”

“Tell.”

“My men said that Karl Von Alden was here.”

“Mr. Alden?” she raised a brow. “Why would it matter?”

“Is he working for you?”

“You seem very nervous, Sir.”

“Is he?”

“Why are you like this?”

“I don’t punch above my weight, Ma’am.”

“May I ask why?”

“Hmm, it’s hard to say. What was he doing here?”

“To protect,” Annie said.

“I see,” he visibly clenched his fists.

“You are bothered by this? Though one man wouldn’t make a difference with your brothers here.”

“That ain’t true, Ma’am. One man can change the tide of the battlefield. Thorne, what do you think of the magic shooter?”

“He’s a good shot.”

“Would you fight him?”

“No, Boss.”

“You give him respect…”

“He deserves it. I owe him Karl Von Alden and his blood-brother my life. I’d be dead if he didn’t carry me on his shoulder, trekked through a wasteland of shell-holes, and placed me on the operating table where his brother Danil got me mended. I would have lost a limb.”

“So he saved you.”

“It’s hard to explain, Ma’am. To you, what is he?”

“He is a polite non-reactive individual. Calm, polite, and always toneless. I thought he was kind.”

“That he is. You’d think that he'd be some chap you’d easily take advantage of until he starts talking and says no. Most of my brothers-in-arms, who’d seen him fight in the war, wouldn't dare to look at him badly. He’s a trench cleaner. Would you try to piss off a man that can kill you from two miles away? So, does he work for you, Ma’am?”

“No.”

“Good,” he breathed in a sigh of relief, “cause if he was working with you I might think twice of insisting to get this route.”

It was strange to Annie how respectful he became. No, it was not only respect, it was fear. Seeing the look on Annie’s face. Thomas Mooney said seriously. “If you saw him fight. You’d understand why we feel this way. Everyone of us knows what he’d done in the war. The Doc does a good job in mending folks back to shape. But he knows how to break a man. He’s a brute and I don’t recommend trying to make him do something he’d hate you for.”

His tone was subdued. The sudden show of weakness didn’t match the person he was before the mention of his name. Thomas Mooney wiped his expression and returned that intenseness in his eyes.

“Though I’m glad that he ain’t part of this.”

“Will you invite him?”

“Not a chance, Ma’am. If he doesn’t want to work for me or anyone. I’d respect that,” he stood up. “I don’t like keeping monsters in my company. I’d hunt these saboteurs for you, Ma’am. Glad we managed this without bruising.”

“Mr. Thomas Mooney. If I had told you to target him. Would you have considered it?”

“I’d shoot you first, Ma’am.”

Thomas Mooney nodded and left the drawing room with his captain.

2