Chapter 27 – To Witia
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To Witia 

Karl found himself staying in one of the quiet bars in Avaios. Although he has made life miserable for some. Thinking about it, how many good men have died fighting for their lives? How many of them had children? Families?

A question that would burn you inside and out. It was a war. And in wars there was no innocent and guilty. There were only young men who thought it was an honor to defend their homeland against a despotic state. Karl remembered the day he set out with Danil. How he thought of these fantasies of what it’ll be as a soldier.

He was still an impressionable young man. Hardened than most because of his father’s teachings, but he still had thoughts of heroics. It was only when he heard the screams and saw the terrified young men praying to their God that he abandoned such thoughts.

Kill for the name of your country.

God will forgive you because it was in the name of the country that you were born in. That there is pride in it. Karl always found it baffling. In the end it was the matter of pulling the trigger in the name of the country and God. 

A man walked inside the bar. He had dark hair, his well-built body covered with a trench of  cocoa hue. He surveyed the bar, sauntering slowly until his eyes found the person he was looking for. His wingtip shoes were made of leather that was newly polished. He carried a heavy-looking suitcase in hand. He made his way to the booth that Karl was sitting in.

“Nice to meet you, mate,” said the man. “I am Ronald Bateau.”

He slid on the booth and placed the case on the mahogany table. Karl raised his half-opened eyes at him. Ronald Bateu coughed and made a harsh swallow. He opened the suitcase. A trail of sweat running down the side of his head. He took a stack of paper before placing it on the table.

“Didn’t think that the folks would reply this fast,” Karl said, his tone heavy. There was a quiet edge on it.

“We have eyes on you, mate. The folks in the top are keenly interested in your request.”

“Did notice that many of you folks were eyeing me. Got good eyes so noticed your folks by a mile. Don’t appreciate it,  though I understand why there is a need to do it.”

Karl’s tone of voice was a warning. Ronald Bateau swallowed again. He scanned the bar before nodding somewhere. Three men left the bar. Karl gave them a glance before eyeing Ronald.

“So, can you help me with the passage? Sir Viole already accepted my request. All I need now is the paper from the Governor permitting me to go to the island which is in the territory of the Empire or is it a former Empire now?”

“Transitioning. It’ll take a while to draft a new constitution and law.”

“So, about that paper?”

Karl shook his glass of whiskey. “I don’t drink much. Don’t smoke either. You probably know what happened to the company.”

“They were targeted by royalists and pro-empire factions. From the looks of it they were hit hard as well. Sir, are you planning to?”

“Depends,” Karl said, “my father and I weren't exactly the type of folks to be worried about things like these. To live by the sword is to die by it. My folks were healers. They were saviors but at the same time they were old warriors who lived and died in the service of the people. The Verloren Einsen or what we call the Lost Ones, have always strived to be the best for the people. Healers and Warriors who’ll bare their fangs at those who bullies the meek. To cry for them is acceptable. There are many who call the company a group of butchers. And from the looks of it the people they faced far surpassed what they could handle, didn’t they?”

“A private army,” Ronald said. He tapped his fingers. He was looking at the plume of smoke coming out behind the counter.

“And a syndicate?”

Ronald silently nodded. Karl stared at the glass before putting it aside. He sat straight with a sharpness in his eyes.

“Mr. Ronald Bateau, I know that you want something from me. And I know that this will cost me more than it will me sneaking into the Empire. What is it that you want from me?”

“This.”

Ronald Bateau slid a badge on the table. Karl took the badge. He inspected the badge for a second before balancing it between his palms.

“You want me to act as a Constable?”

“Yes,” Ronald leaned forward, his voice a whisper. “Your talents are unquestionable, Mr. Alden. The Allies are particularly interested in the amount of bodies you’ve produced. Many of the soldiers who saw you fight made you a boogeyman. Truthfully, I don’t know whether to believe them or not. Nonetheless, I trust my instincts and these instincts are telling me that you are needed.”

“The state must be more miserable than expected.”

“It is. Criminal soldiers joining outfits, turning into made-men. We’ve a growing problem regarding contrabands and the like. The most popular of them was the morphine used in the war.”

“Narcotics, so, this ‘deal’ you want with me. Does this involve taking care of the problems?”

“No, if anything, we want you to help out when some of our guys might need medical treatment and cannot preferably out of the sight of the law. There are few doctors who are willing to help our law enforcement.”

“I see. I can work with that. Beyond that, I don’t know. I spent eight years killing. I’d prefer if I mend instead of rend.”

I am sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you. But before I agree to any of this,” Karl glared. “I want a paper that says that I’m free to leave for the Empire and not be considered a traitor of the state.”

Ronald picked out a paper. It contained the permit that Karl needed to go to the damn island.

“I will owe the state for this.”

“No, think of this as a signing bonus, Sir.”

 

***

 

Karl walked unsteadily back home. He was holding on to his satchel while gazing at the road. The autumn leaves scrambling to the side. The cool winds from the sea caressing him. He took a stop on a white picket fence before continuing on to his home.

He took a step inside the path leading to his home. He fished out his keys, dropped it, then slapped himself before picking it up. Twisting the key in, making a clicking sound, Karl entered the house and went straight to his room. He unrobed himself. Placing his field of vision on the ceiling where he then covered his ears and squeezed his eyes shut.

Karl saw the world tremble. He felt like he was on an unstable platform. His mood was ill and if he lets go of the steering wheel. He’d destroy this house. He’ll rage and vent his frustration. Karl knew himself better. How that fury bottled inside of him was still raging on.

But what is a man without control of his emotions? Karl didn’t want to let go of that control. And although the drink made him think that letting go was alright. Karl chose to stay cool and thought about how to approach all of this. Keeping cool and collected. Organizing his thoughts and making sure he doesn’t stray.

“I shouldn’t have drank,” Karl said aloud. He needed to say that and let this evil out of his chest. He sat cross-legged on his bed. If his foster father really did leave the world protecting that little girl. Then it was his duty as the son to care for that little girl until her time was up. “Like you did for me, father. Like you did for me.”

Whether it was the intention of his father to do this or not. Karl would still follow up on this little girl and try to find something that may help. With that thought he went to the laboratory in the basement. But first he drank coffee and washed his face before strolling in the basement where he finally stopped. What was the disease of the little girl? What was it that made her so ill that there was a due date for her life?

Karl went to the archive of his father. Other than the old-aged manuals and paperwork from old case files. There were also testimonies and research papers. It should be a disease within the range of a child, I could narrow it down. Hmm, no, if father and Isidor had been unable to find a cure for the child, then what are my chances? I am an inferior doctor compared to them and I lack any details regarding the child as well.

His hands stopped moving. That bitterness was bottling up once more. He pushed it down, and shook his head. No, I just need to figure out what I can do to ease her pain. If father was working with this Archduchess, and if she is safe, then there is a big chance that she has a copy of the paperwork, research, and the results of my father. My father should have at least concocted something that slows down the disease… given that she still has time to live.

Karl worked under the soft light of a bulb. He brought all the materials he could gather and placed them on the work table. He studied some of the cases. Reviewed materials regarding diseases and spent the night reviewing. It was when he noticed his eyelids falling that he checked on his pocket watch. It was already past eight and with that he decided to climb back up and dressed himself up for the trip. Taking a bath. Eating some eggs and a cup of coffee. Karl left the confines of his home. He went straight to the postal company where he was employed and informed Sir Viole regarding his trip.

Sir Viole was buried under towers of papers. He was half awake. Barely keeping himself conscious as he took notice of Karl. He placed his stamp down. His creased face beaming as Karl approached.

“Sir, looks like you have quite a hard time. Have you ever thought of hiring help?”

“From the looks of it I must have to think about that,” he pointed with his finger. “Guess you are going to the island? I have a plane ready for you. I was planning to open a branch in the island as well since it is quite a good location, economically. The stream of commerce and the packages that will be rolling in once we set up a warehouse and a shipping station there would be fantastic streams of income. My man was supposed to deliver a package but since you are heading to the Archduchess herself, there will be time for you to deliver the package. Truthfully, I’d be far happier if you are the one who will be delivering the package for me. In the hands of a soldier like you at least.”

 Karl took the package. Viole sat down and cracked his neck.

“This package… does it contain a bribe? Money? Agreements?”

“Something like that. Of course, it is mostly a purchase. In this changing world we must change our methods and adapt to these changes. Identity them, adapt, and survive. It is a test of our intelligence and the early bird catches the worm, no?”

“Present your paperwork and also… I must warn you that the Archduchess is a feisty one.”

“How so?”

“She doesn’t trust a lot. She is quite famous for being rude to men while sweeter than a candy to men. If you have business with her, try to do business and trust me when you don’t want to make it sound like you’re flirting with her.”

“I keep that in mind.”

“And Karl? Good luck with whatever task that you have.”

Karl nodded. He left the postal company and went straight to the airfield.

 

1