Chapter 30 – The Dame and The Soldier
83 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Dame and The Soldier

The next day she found herself waking up with her eyes on her palm. She recalled the image of the Doctor wrapping up a bandage on her hand. Although she had been single for years now. There were times where she was occupied with women. Though most of the time she was more interested in beautiful women than handsome men. Though she didn’t mind men either.

At least the imperial men who had eyes on her were menaces. They think of her as some easy lady who they could seduce and steal the island from hers. Too bad that they were dealing with a lioness instead of a sweet lamb.

Karl was a gentleman. Though he was a tacky professional who had been clearly plodding the battlefield. It was easy to tell a man who has seen hell. She also heard from his late father that Karl spent eight years in the battlefield with his blood-brother. She wondered why that other man didn’t come to this place.

Vicky, her maid, went inside her room. She carried a silver tray of food and a cup of coffee. She opened the drapes first. The sunlight settled in the room. Behind the glass door and windows the view of the seas. A salty wind came in. Filling the room.

“Madam, you must not sleep with so little clothing.”

“I’m fine, Vicky. How is our guest?”

Vicky straightened out the blanket.

“Mr. Alden is a studious man. I believe that he is currently meeting with the Lady.”

“I see. What is Marlene’s reaction?”

She straightened the pillow and placed it back. Mildred walked to the dressing table while Vicky moved about.

“Mr. Alden is quite charming.”

“So is my daughter charmed?”

“It would be good to see it for yourself.”

Mildred nodded. She went to the shower and washed herself. After showering she wore a plain blue dress and went outside of her villa where she found Marlene being nursed by Karl. Her daughter was in a wheeled chair and Karl pushed while speaking to her solemnly. She saw no pity or sadness. From the looks of it he treated her normally. A bit satisfied, she went to her office and did some paperwork. She found time to read the documents placed on her table. Sir Viole wanted land and space. So she gave them in exchange for some profits.

The world was changing. She knew this better because she was one of the many who had turned the wheel. The fall of an ancient Empire. The transition to a federation ruled by various states with a President as the head. In a way they were on a new path far different from the old. Whether that was something to be proud about. She had made her contribution to this world.

Witia herself was independent after the fall of the empire. She had made it clear from them that they would only be allies while her island would remain autonomous. Independent as always. They didn’t like what she was doing. And in a way she knew that it wouldn’t be long until the people themselves would want to have the ability to choose for themselves. She thumbed through the rest of the papers. Signed agreements while not daring to skim them. When she was done with the papers. She went to eat lunch with her daughter. She tried to invite the Doctor, but he refused and ate to his lonesome self.

It was a pity. She did want to know more of him. She enjoyed her lunch with Marlene. Since her daughter was rather palish. She let Vicky take her back to her room so that she might get some rest. After the lunch she went to look for Karl who was in the small clinic located in the villa. It was a separate building. Entering the place the smell of herbs and pungent medicine assaulted her nose.

She found Doctor Jovan observing the formula concocted by Karl. Noticing her, Doctor Jovan approached with slow steps. Doctor Karl did not turn. He remained focused on the concoction.

“The medicine?”

“It shall be attended to by Alden here.”

Mildred wiped the mouth of the round flask.

“So how is he? What is your opinion of Doctor Alden?”

“Experienced. But from what I’ve heard he is much more well-versed in tending to the wounds of the injured. Nonetheless, he hasn’t forgotten his foundations as you can see for yourself.”

Karl manipulated the burner while taking notes for himself. Doctor Jovan fiddled with the materials that were gathered on the laboratory table.

“The medicine should work to soothe the pain of the Lady. Nonetheless with the growth of these awful cells. I doubt it will cure her.”

“I understand that. My Marlene doesn’t have time.”

“Are you okay, madam?”

“I might be fine. I have started to accept it. But I hate it. Hate that I could easily accept it.”

“War hardens us, Madam. Have you started drinking?”

“I have. Only a little since we have a guest.”

Karl tapped on the beaker before turning the burner off. He mixed in two liquids before stirring it. His eyes landed on Mildred. She looked away for a moment, before returning her stare back.

“How are you doing? Is the equipment satisfactory?”

“It is, Madam. I can  create the medicine here. It should last long enough. Also, may I have your permission to take a blood test for the Lady.”

She crossed her arms and lifted her breast. “Why?”

“I need to know if she has irregularities. It could be anemia as well.”

“I see.”

She tapped her fingers on the laboratory. Her eyes went to Doctor Jovan who understood straight away. He left the clinic while mentioning the need to do some work for the others. There were many patients in Herten after all.

“I thought she was pale because she seemed to be inside the villa all the time. But I noticed that she has eye bags. Madam, she’s probably not sleeping well. If anything, I wonder why you aren’t accompanying her.”

It almost felt like he was criticizing her. Then again she noticed how Marlene was so stubborn about wanting to sleep alone.

“She wanted to be left alone.”

“I can see why. With how little time she has left. She would want to stay awake. It doesn’t help. Staying awake while having such a fragile body. Madam, I insist that you stay with her and convince her to sleep. She would feel better, being in the bosom of her mother-figure.”

“If that’s what the Doctor wants.”

“Doctor Jovan is a much more proficient Doctor than me. He should be able to handle the medicine concoction.”

Mildred walked over. She lifted the beaker and observed the bubbling liquid inside. “What is this liquid for?”

“It’s a supplement that my father’s note spoke of. No, I should be truthful. It is a drug. A pain reliever. About 200mg.”

“That is a lot. Wouldn’t that have side effects?”

“It will. But the lady will have to take it if her condition worsens.”

Karl looked down before he concentrated on the concoction.

“My daughter’s life is reliant on drugs.”

“We have no choice in this matter. She’s young, madam. She’s not able to take it. No, she might be able to, but it will be good if she doesn’t feel it.”

“You’ve interacted with Marlene. What do you think?”

“She’s a bright child. A shame really.”

“She grew up in a harsh environment. She knows pain. Understand it and know how to cope with it. I wish her happiness. But to think that she would encounter such misfortune. Misery seems to come for my daughter.”

“Don’t say it like that, Madam. If anything she is fortunate that she has a mother like you.”

Mildred found herself staring at him. He continued working on the concoction. There was little to no emotion on his face. It made Mildred wonder what he was thinking inside that mind of his.

“You were gentle with my daughter. Thank you for that. I thought you would have a hard time, Karl.”

“I have experience in caring for kids. There were many orphans in the war. Most of them were kids who needed talking.”

“The war huh. Eight years. Most men would quit the moment they have a chance. Why didn’t you?”

Karl looked at her. This time his face had a bit of expression in it.

“I couldn’t run away. Not when there were many who needed help. Truthfully, I fought more because my brother insisted on helping.”

“War is terrible, no?”

“It was. If anything,” he turned around and bowed his head. “I should be thankful and honored to have met the woman who brought down an empire. Your actions have made it so that the war could have ended. I was in Gustav Sallen, Madam. I am thankful.”

“I didn’t do much. There were simply people who wanted this war to be over. I only want to free Marlene from her terrible family. I trampled on people. Got people killed. I could never excuse myself. Not even for this.”

“The choices we make aren’t exactly so righteous, Madam. I understand. There is nothing to be ashamed about wanting to protect. But it’s better if we do not harden our hearts. Protect it, but never let it harden to the point that none could warm it.”

Mildred pulled a stool.

“I was skeptical whether I should have accepted you here. Truth be told I’ve no need for you. Never have.”

“Then why did you allow me in?”

“Because you did not pity my daughter.”

“Excuse me?”

“If you have acted as if you’d pity her. Or tell them that you were here. I would have scorned you.”

“That is quite twisted.”

“Pity can be a double-edged sword, Karl. It can harm both. My baby is sensitive to pity. She loathes it and is disturbed by it. She doesn’t show it,” she pointed at him. “But she dislikes pity. She prefers rudeness. I guess that’s why she allowed you in.”

“So that's why I was not kicked out.”

“If my daughter dislikes you. I would not have hesitated. She knows what is happening to her. She knows that her life is due. She doesn’t need to be told some assuring words. She hates false hope and she appreciates the idea of someone caring for her because of a responsibility rather than based on pity.”

“I was sure that I’d keep you around, seeing that you were able to push her around.”

“How about Doctor Jovan?”

“She dislikes him. But she’ll be polite about it. Doctor Jovan understands this. Also, if she accepted Doctor Jovan, I wouldn’t have allowed you in even if my daughter is fine with you. Don’t take it personally.”

“I don’t,” Karl tapped the flask and turned the burner. “I thank you for your honesty, madam.”

“It’s nothing much. It’s better that I make this clear than misunderstand. We are adults here. And it’s better that we communicate rather than guess each other’s thoughts.”

Karl stopped. He looked back. His lips raised into a smile. Mildred looked away again before staring back.

“Thank you. I will do my best to uphold the responsibility.”

She holds her gaze on him. She unfolded her arms and loosened her shoulders. Playing with her hair, arching her back, and blinking a lot. She was tongue-tied before regaining her composure.

“It’s nothing,” she stroked an object. She bit her lower lip and played with her hair again. “Once you are done here you should take a rest.”

“Madam, I’ll be fine.”

“Don’t refuse me on this.”

Karl stared at her for a while before nodding. “Very well, Madam.”

“I told you to call me, Mildred. We aren’t exactly that old. If anything, you are a year older than me.”

Karl nodded. “Are you going to stay here for a while, Mildred?”

“I am. It is my villa. I have nothing better to do so might as well watch you concoct that.”

“Very well,” Karl handed a cloth face mask. “Cover yourself with this. Some of the liquid is pungent.”

Mildred put on the face mask and watched him work.

Her eyes however weren’t on the concoction. 

3