Chapter 32 – The Passing Lives
65 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Passing Lives

The change to the world could be seen by the naked eyes. Or perhaps it was the waves that were causing the scenery to change in the first place? Bathed in sunlight the colored houses were populous. The  road was designed to occupy the rows of houses. Sitting on the concrete bench was a man in a frock coat. The other was a woman wearing a blue laced midi dress.

“It’s strange that they aren’t noticing you, Mildred.”

“That’s because they aren’t used to seeing me in a dress. You saw my portraits and some of the photos in the villa. All of them are in my service dress. You see they don’t think that the Archduchess would wear a dress.”

“Truly? Or are they doing that because they wanted to give you space?”

“Perhaps. Nonetheless, no one will bother me with this. It’s a good excuse at least.”

“Lady Marlene looks better.”

“She is. It pains my heart seeing her like that. Doctor Jovan should be able to accompany her. Ah, I wish she’d let me accompany her. My Marlene has grown strong. I wish I had saved her earlier.”

Karl said nothing. He stared at the port. Reflecting on Karl’s whimsical eyes were the moving stream of goods and people.

“It took my family years to get this result. Do you know how poor this island was? How awful were the roads that navigating the island would take days alone? My Grandfather wanted to take notice of the middle continent. He brought in their engineers and made life tolerable for this country. Before the Empire became industrialized, it was Witia who did it first. We manage to improve faster because we are only an island and my territories in the Empire were forfeited.”

“Better to focus the development in isolated places.”

“True. It’s not admirable to leave our subjects behind, but in a way it benefited the progress of the island. Those who had love for my family migrated here. Those who didn’t take the chance suffered when the Empire decided to fight this war.”

Mildred had so far avoided what caused the war. Karl was smart enough to at least understand what she didn’t want to say. Over the weeks that have passed she understood that Karl Von Alden wasn’t as stone-faced. He was also a man whose thoughts were hidden to himself and did not speak freely unless it was to his benefit. She respected that professional demeanor.

“Longi is developing well,” she said after some thought. “The stream of commerce is flowing well and we get business from the three continents to feed us. Not to mention our crops' harvest is enough to get a surplus to sell.”

She raised a finger and pointed it up, “But that isn’t going to be enough when the market comes crashing down. I’m sure that you’ve noticed it, no?”

“Yes, there are a lot of people that are seeing it happening. The crash of the market will make a lot of people feel restless. Ghan will take advantage of this. But the one thing that will hit hard is definitely the people of the Empire. There are factors in the product that need to be satisfied. One must have the land. Then we must have capital to pay the labor. But what production really needs is good management. Without it, everything falls apart. The Empire fell not because production was disrupted. The land was destroyed. The factories that we used were gone.”

“Yeah, without money you can’t do anything.”

“Karl, money itself isn’t capital. What I mean is that without the machinery, factories, mills, and the tools. There isn’t going to be any capital to continue the production. When there is no capital, there is no wealth, and when there is no wealth flowing in the form of goods and krons. There is no way we can pay for labor. And if there is no good head managing all of this then there isn’t simply production. There is no compensation or profits.”

“Well, without brains everything falls apart.”

“Hmm, but that is saying that you only need one leg for your three-legged stool. You must have three. The Center Sea of Erob itself is profitable. I am confident in the fact that Witia itself wouldn’t suffer, being in the center. Not to mention that most of the ships gather here in Longi. Ah, look at that.”

It was a steam-powered freighter arriving at the port of Longi. The size of the ship was large enough to make the workers start making a fuss about it. Karl whistled at the sight of the freighter.

“Big ship.”

“Inside that ship is 500,000 bushels of grain from the sister-city of Altwandorf.”

“I don’t remember Alwandorf being able to produce that much.”

“It’s actually less than usual. The rest are being distributed to other cities. Profits are quite low this year, and the transport cost will make them pricier.”

“Did you come here because you wanted to see the freighter arrive?”

“Partly. I must entertain my guests after all. Besides, I would rather not embarrass myself in a shooting contest.”

“Don’t say that. You only are ten points less. Truthfully, your shooting skills are one of the best that I have seen even in war. You are a natural sharpshooter, Mildred.”

“Hearing that from the magic shooter of the united provinces is quite a compliment.”

“Hai, hate that nickname.”

“It’ll go away sooner or later. Only those who still have the military in their minds or wary people will remember.”

She hooked her arm around his. Karl stared at the steam pouring out of the freighter. He stayed silent for a while which she took advantage of. Steely arms as usual, Mildred thought. Her hand glanced around Karl’s stomach. How do you make such a stomach?

“Madam, what do you think of the world?”

“It’s a mess. Everyone thinks that after the war it’s all happily ever after. They think that it’s all over now. Everything is smooth sailing. But look at where we are? All the work that  I did was for a single person. But I can’t save her despite having the wealth to do it. Not everything will be happy just because we ended the Great War. The dead rest peacefully while the living keeps on toiling.”

Karl nodded his head, “It continues on no matter what we do.”

“That is right. You are a man of sense. You’d be a good partner.”

“Thank you for the compliment, Mildred.”

The steam-freighter stopped blowing smoke. The smoke dispersed as a great wind blew over the cove. The sunlight shifted, making the left side of the port sunnier. Mildred saw children running with their paper windmill. Citizens buying products from the stalls. Young men and women strolling around the town. The hustle and bustle of the town of Longi was a soothing sight to Mildred.

“A shame that I don’t have much time to rule them.”

“Is it really necessary? To change the structure of this island?”

“It is. Do you know why the Empire fell? It’s because they couldn’t accept the structure. Education isn’t meant for the noble-blooded anymore. Schools and learners have started educating the masses. It’s a matter of going out peacefully or not.”

“The island doesn’t give that impression.”

“It isn’t. People don’t usually express themselves in the open. They send letters and demands in the name of the people to allow them autonomy. In their heads the rule of the noble is not enough and if the people could do it. Then why rely on them at all? The smarter ones would start taking care of their personal wealth and hand over the positions of power while also taking away what they own.”

“Hmm, that’s reasonable. Still, if it’s you, Mildred. I’d believe you can somewhat gain control and still rule.”

“Doubt that. I brought down the imperial family in the name of the people. I betrayed an empire, paved a path, and got free citizens to act for my sake. I was merely the figurehead who drove the ship. By the time this is over I’ll be just a former noble family with enough wealth and influence. Of course, by that time, I wouldn’t call myself an Archduchess any longer. Citizen Mildred Wendellia, from Witia. Kinda like it.”

Karl eyed her from the side. Mildred couldn’t help but raise a brow.

“It’s great that you are accepting of this.”

“I’m not actually. I’m terrified of this great change. It’s because I’m talking to you that I want to put on a brave face. Truthfully, I’d rather tell you this since you are a physician. It’s better to talk about my problems with a physician and a stranger rather than someone who came here.

Karl looked down. Seeing this made Mildred curious enough of what his answer will be.

“Are you looking for the people who killed your father?”

“Maybe I am. But like I said my father knows what he’s doing. If he died to protect then I’ll honor what he did. It’s a responsibility that I must take on. I used up all my anger and fury in the war. I’ve grown sick of it. Eight years of fighting. All I did was follow orders and at the end I managed to live on.  Look at me, Mildred. I became a doctor because that’s what all I know other than killing. I know how to mend and that’s why I follow this path. I came here wanting to ease a little girl’s pain. Give her peaceful days until she is settled. Guess a soldier is a soldier no matter what he pretends to be.”

“You are diligent. Truth be told, I don't expect much considering that Verloren Einsen couldn’t do anything about Marlene. If there was something to be done. Do you think that I would have complied with whatever Marlene wants? She’s a child with a mind that became an adult because she doesn’t have long. If anything, I expected this when her mother died. She died because of sickness. They call it fetal disease. You saw it yourself. How she’s pale. It’ll ease her pain for now, but once it’s her time not even those pain relievers could help.”

She was escaping from the sight of Marlene. It was hard to think of her daughter. Harder to think that the little girl who got her freedom would pass away. Even if they do send for another doctor. It was impossible to treat her. If she had time. If she handled the fall of the Empire better. Could Marlene have a better chance of living?

All of this wasn’t about curing her.

It was simply about making sure that she passes on without much pain.

Distracting herself from that reality.

Her mind was in concluding Viole’s business and of Marlene. Mildred knew it herself that she found the Doctor amiable, but she knew it herself that this was nothing more than a ploy she made for herself.

Besides, it isn’t that bad, Mildred said to herself. I feel calm and open when I’m next to him.

“After all of this, what are your plans?”

“I don’t know.”

“It’s okay to be lost.”

Karl said nothing. He stayed his gaze on the outline of the sea.  For a moment she saw his eyes tremble and droop. His shoulders sagged lowly and his eyes glazed. His fingers unclenched.

Mildred held his arm tighter.

“It’s okay. You know how precious this life can be, Karl Von Alden. Really, you can be rather soft despite your merits.”

“I’ve been strong enough for the past eight years. Give me a break, will you?”

“You are lucky to accompany an Archduchess as beautiful as I am.”

Karl raised his lips, she pulled her close. “You are pretty vain, sis.”

“Bah, it’s good that we are getting to know each other. I wasn’t so sure about you, but I guess I do find good folks to befriend with. Seriously, I find your companionship soothing, Karl. Thank you for taking time to escort me.”

“It’s okay,” he eyed the freighter, so sure why she was here in this place. “There is nothing wrong with leisure once in a while.”

“There isn't.”

The world was quickly leaving everyone behind.

The crisis of the Old Continent was not that far.

The world turns no matter who passes on.


Thank you for those who are still reading this series.

3