Chapter 37 – The Turning Point
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Turning Point

Karl came to the Mayor’s office in the morning. As expected of the Mayor’s mansion/office it was sufficiently decorated. A clean garden and a well-maintained front building. There was a line to the side of the mansion with a small building. Karl walked to the front when a guard of the mayor raised a hand towards him.

“Good morning, Sir. The line is up there.”

“It’s Doctor, actually. I have a meeting with Mayor Igor Kobza.”

Karl presented the note to the guard. Taking the note, the guard slowly read it before nodding his, shifting his body, and pointing his left arm on the door.

“Pardon me, Doctor. You were so young that I didn’t think you were, Doctor.”

“It’s alright. It’s understandable, Mister?”

“Name’s Paul Anderson, Doctor.”

“Mr. Anderson, how are things in the city?”

“Fine mostly. There are recent events that make the districts worry. These gangsters are appearing. Mayor Igor has told me that most of them are young veterans. Are you a veteran too, Doctor?”

“That I am, Mr. Anderson.”

They walked inside the office. Some of the townsfolk glanced at Karl before they spotted the familiar doctor bag. Wearing a dress tie, suit, and a long coat. With a hat that barely hid his face. Karl entered the mansions and followed Mr. Anderson to the second floor of the mansion. Maids and civil servants populated the mansion. The second floor had more clerks. When Karl took a step on the second he spotted the old paintings of the former mayors lined up. The portraits were made by the same painter. Even the same frame.

“This way, Doctor.”

“Got it.”

Karl tore his gaze from the painting, following Mr. Anderson to the office right of the hallway. Behind the door was a strangely designed office with a black spiral staircase leading to the top of what seems to be a library.

“Ah, Doctor Karl Von Alden, inheritor of the Verloren Einsen?”

“No, that would be my Blood-brother. He is a much better doctor than me.”

Mayor Igor Kobza was a well-built man of his age. The proud military sash across his chest and the ceremonial dagger on his belt. The well-groomed mustache and the lean posture. Karl thought it made sense.

“I would call you a man that does not have desires for ambitions. But I must say that it is an honor to meet the man who had turned this war.”

“I’m afraid that’s not true. One man can’t change the tide. You know that very well, Sir.”

“One man can’t. But putting down the right men can change things. And you, Doctor, have done it during your time in the war. So, what can I do for you, Dr. Von Alden?”

Karl took out a piece of paper from his doctor’s bag. Mayor Igor Kobza took the piece of paper from Karl and read it. His wisened eyes scan the lines of words.

“The Viole Company would like to sponsor the Hospital?”

“They do,” Karl sat on the chair. “Let me explain why, Mayor Igor.”

“Go ahead.”

Karl took out the papers he readied to make the case. He started with the supply and demand of the people while also mentioning the health of the workers who are doing the city justice by delivering them.

On the papers that Karl handed was the proposal written personally by President Viole. It stated the funds that he would hand over and also emphasized to the Mayor the protection of his workers. Truthfully it was a very attractive proposal. However, the Mayor, who was reading the proposals, asked a question.

“So why did you bring it to me personally, Doctor?”

“Because the Mayor would understand that most of the postman and delivery men of our Company have been attacked and discouraged. I’ve checked them. Most of the employees have told me that there are recent attacks. I would like the help of the Mayor’s office to remedy this situation.”

“Hmm, a favor for Mr. Viole’s Company. Tell me, Doctor Von Alden. How much do you know about our fine city?”

“Nothing much,” Karl confessed. “I have been away for years, and recently I have traveled to Witia instead of resting my feet on the ground. I have noticed the recent improvements of our city at least.”

“Indeed, Mr. Viole brings business to wherever he goes. A man with a huge reserve of wealth and the merit that was brought to him as an airman. He is a man who has given much to this City in terms of logistics and personal wealth. He is also a man envied by his peers. A fascinating man whose genius in business and politics is only matched by a few stuttering old men.”

He tapped his fingers on his table, “And he is a man who holds favors dearly,” he went on. “If I do this to him, I can ask him a favor. He believes in returning it. If anything he can support me for the next few years and keep the mayor’s seat for myself.”

“That is for you to decide with him, Mayor Igor.”

“True. You are an educated man, Doctor Von Alden. Tell me, what happens if I owe him a favor?”

“It means that you have someone powerful backing you. You said it yourself clearly.”

“Favor comes power and all I ask of him will be my support. Each action causes a reaction and the owner of a popular and wealthy postal company as of late who has recently made waves with their airmail is a powerful man. To you, it will be asking for a favor, but to us it will cause waves. There will be many reactions, my good Doctor.”

“I do not pretend to know politics, Mayor Igor. All I know is that I keep my feet on where I belong.”

“And where do you belong, Doctor?”

“To heal townspeople, if possible. I have not spent… years doing the same again.”

There was a scrutinizing stare on the Mayor’s face. It lasted for a moment before he nodded his head slowly.

“I understand. You came here knowing only that you want to help the townsfolk. It will not be easy. There will be paperwork and a few handshakes, but I shall allow some of the things proposed here. Nonetheless, there are some that need to be conversed with the person who is asking for the favor.”

“Thank you for hearing me out, Mayor.”

“No, I should thank you and Mr. Viole for helping. Things are always complicated and seeing that the Doctor is not a man who enjoys politics. I shall not involve you in the matters of our youth turning into vagabonds.”

There were words of provocation in the Mayor’s voice. Karl would like to accept, but he did not have interest. Yes, he was a Doctor, and if he encountered these people then he could only speak a few words to them in hopes that they’d turn. Nevertheless, Karl was not so idealistic that speaking such fine words would convince them easily. He did not have so much power or wealth to answer to every person. In a way he was making a living as well. The Mayor’s words stung, but he knew himself that he was helpless in their choices and the way of life.

“I hope that you take a chance to converse with President Viole. He means well and it will be good for both sides.”

“You are a man of few words, Dr. Von Alden. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for thinking of our citizens and surely taking time on your busy schedule.”

“No, thank you for hearing me out. Would you excuse me, Mayor Igor?”

“Sure, I’m sure that you have many more to do, Doctor Von Alden. Please, say my regards to Mr. Viole. I’m sure that many of our partners will be quite happy that he had approached us with good intentions.”

Karl nodded.

“And Doctor Von Alden?”

Mayor Igor stopped him.

“It’s good that you have made it alive, Doctor. Cherish thy life for it is rare for good men to survive a war.”

“I will, Mayor Igor. Thank you for your time.”

Karl left the office. He walked the hallway of the mansion alone. Mr. Anderson guarded the entrance. He leaned on the walls. Staring at the line. It was getting longer.

“Doctor Von Alden,” Mr. Anderson called. “Was your talk with the Mayor productive.”

“I’m more of a messenger, Mr. Anderson. It seems like Mayor Igor is busy.”

“It is. Folk around here have been eager to complain. Factory jobs. Farms selling bulks of their crops. Most folk here have trouble with how things are. Though most of the time they try to ask the Mayor’s office in hopes that they can get assistance.”

“Medical assistance?”

“Yup,” Mr. Anderson shouldered his rifle. “Most of the time folks here have trouble regarding their health. Only a few Doctors in the hospital. Hard to attend to the people.”

“We only have one hospital, so it’s understandable that it’ll be like this.”

“Troublesome. But the Mayor focused on fixing the gutters. Took years since we lacked young men to dig the sewers and fix the system. Those who return early wouldn’t even dig holes. Reminds them too much of the war they say. Rather go to factories and put food into cans.”

“Well, it certainly sounds better. I guess the pay is better as well.”

“It is. Development is hard when there are few men who could help, but with the war and many of our young men back. Maybe this city will be active again. We wouldn’t have to worry about finding manpower.”

“The mining town northeast was quite inadequate regarding their mines. The foreman had me check on them.”

“Ah, how is it?”

“Terrible, but it can be improved. Looks like there is much to do all over the region.”

“True, the Governor has been… quite busy with the war. He lets us do our things and I doubt that he’d have time to worry when the Mayors of the region are already busy.”

Karl nodded. The United Province was stable for now. There might be changes along the way, but he knew that there would be a time where things would be troubled. He heard many things and there is a bit of fear that there might be trouble coming along the way.

Thomas Mooney and his ever-expanding dream of filling his pockets. Karl’s sure that there is more if he decided to spend time and think of what may trouble this city. Nevertheless, he had chosen to become a physician. He even thought that he was simply making amends by healing. He had wrought death in the war, and right now, especially after what happened in Witia. Karl desired to be more than a person who dealt death.

“Got a lot in your mind, Doctor?”

“Maybe. Have a good day, Mr. Anderson.”

“You too, Doctor.”

Karl bid the mayor’s mansion a farewell. He boarded the trolley and stayed on it. Sitting on the back by his lonesome self. Karl thought of the bustling city. The myriads of townspeople walking around. And the many more that had returned home. A memory flashed and the once muddy city has turned into a fine one. Despite the war, it changed and perhaps it was because of this that many of those who return here felt unfamiliar with this new world.

Beneath all of this newness. Karl only sees those who returned from the war not knowing which to do. Some are integrating back while the rest are turning to what they have been familiar doing for years.

Karl stared at his fellow soldiers walking in groups carrying their pieces. From the looks of it there are many who are returning back to what they know best. For a moment Kar’s head went to a darker path.

“No, I shouldn’t” Karl thought to himself as he continued to ride the trolley. He couldn’t go back to his old doings. His soul didn’t allow it. “Be a healer, not a killer Kar,” he convinced himself.

2