Chapter 40 – An Invitation To Stuhach
52 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An Invitation To Stuhach

Karl had punched a man today. He was a postman who had the look of a rabid dog. Karl wanted to be a lot easier for his patient when he went wild. Either he could choke him to sleep or punch him. Karl went the easiest path and gave the man a punch to the jaw. His eyes rolled. He fell asleep and fell face-first on the ground.

“Carry him here.”

Karl said as Owen took the man to the ward of the clinic. There were five beds in the clinic and were separated by curtain partitions. Karl took a clipboard and wrote that he had punched the man. Karl took a sample of the man’s blood and then went to the small lab next to the clinic where he had transferred his old man’s equipment for his own use. He examined the blood. Then found out that in the blood of the young man there are traces of opium.

The man woke up while cuffed to the bed. He looked around in panic and then as if he just woke up from a long dream cupped his face. Owen watched him to the side while holding on to a baton.

“He’s up, Doc.”

Karl walked next to the bed. There was an instinctive fear of the man towards Karl. It was easy to fear someone who’d knock you in one punch to the jaw.

“I, where am I?”

“In my clinic. Fellers from your work said that you were acting strange. They dropped you off here and tried to attack me. Sorry that I had to knock you out. It was purely from instinct.”

Karl pulled a stool close to the bed. “So, why are you taking opium?”

“Huh?”

“Got your blood. Could have asked for your consent in taking your blood sample. But I don’t have much time. Opiates are a harmful substances Mr. Hayman. Pray tell, explain to me.”

He hesitated. His hands on his waist. He looked him up. Karl returned the gaze with a firm one. He wasn’t going to let him. His stare told Mr. Hayman that.

“I do it because it’ll keep me energized, Sir.”

“I can tell,” Karl said. “Thing is that it’ll also make you not think well. Drugs and opiates are quite addicting. There is a reason that we have them regulated, Mr. Hayman.”

He wrote on his clipboard. “You went berserk there. Means that you have quite a lot taken.”

“It’s… I, will I lose my job, Doctor?”

“Second chances are a thing. If you do more after this, then believe me that you won’t get a job here. And you better treasure this, Mr. Hayman. Bad times are ahead and there are many folks who’ll try to have your job.”

He nodded slowly. Owen folded his arms while he sat on the side. Karl maintained his gaze on Mr. Hayman while writing down what he was seeing from him. His eyes. His movements and the occasional fidgeting of his fingers.

“Will this affect me, Doctor?”

“It will. You can’t easily get off from taking drugs. Have you been eating cocaine gums?”

Mr. Hayman searched his pockets. He took out a small box filled with chewing gums. On the label of said box was how it advertised that it could give a man extra energy for his work days.

“It could also cure toothache,” Karl snorted at the last line. “It’s even the product that became illegal because of overdose. I can understand why you think this will make you energized. Well, it’ll make you irritable and prone to attacking folks. You have a wife or parents, Mister?”

“I have a wife.”

“Good. I’ll let her know that you are here,” Karl casts a glance at Owen. “Would you kindly go and get his wife? Where is your address?”

Mr. Hayman told Owen his address. Karl got his log book and noted his name, address, age, and his position. The resources department had asked for this since it seems like they wanted everything written down. He got no qualms either.

After a while Mrs. Hayman arrived while still wearing her apron. She looked at her husband worriedly and asked Karl what his ailing was. Karl revealed that he went berserk and that if he doesn’t stop taking them cocaine chewing gums. He might get fired from his job.

“I’ll try to keep him off it!”

The wife declared with gusto. Usually the role of a wife as the hearth of the home made them docile. But when it comes to the health of their husbands. The were usually as fierce as a giant cat on the mountains.

Karl nodded his head with a satisfied expression. He tore a piece of paper and wrote down what may help in getting him off it. Mrs. Hayman turned to face her husband. Karl noticed that Mrs. Hayman had that ‘glow’ that most women who are bearing a child had.

“How is your health, Mrs. Hayman?”

“Excuse me?”

“I can somewhat tell that you are carrying a baby.”

“Huh?”

She looks at her bulging stomach. She then turned to look at her husband who glowed at the thought of it and then back to Karl.

“Are you sure, Doctor? The old madams must have been seeing it… and I thought they were making a fool of me!”

“I have seen that glow. Guess I’m used to spotting it?”

Karl had many aunties that knew many maidens who they gave advice to. Karl could recall the many madams who he had met while being taken around by his Aunties to visit them. He’d be quite a fool if he doesn’t recognize one easily.

“Congratulations,” he said. He turned toward Mr. Hayman. “Hear that Mister? You got more reason to stop this. It’s expensive either way so no need to continue this addiction of yours just for the sake of getting more quota. Listen, it’s better to use your energy wisely than taking something that might kill you. Because if you don’t stop, then you might just lose your job and what can you feed your child if you don’t have one?”

Mister Hayman became pale as a white sheet of paper. His wife held him and smiled at him. He eyed the belly of her wife. There were many emotions running on his face before said resolutely: “I’ll stop.”

“Good. Now excuse me while I tend to that swelling of yours. It was the damn reflex of mine, and that I should know by now.”

Karl took some ice and applied it on Mister Hayman’s swelling jaw. He was glad that he didn’t punch too hard. Owen took over while Karl got out of his clinic. He spotted Alicia coming to the clinic while holding onto a leather briefcase where she keeps her documents. She usually takes cares of the matter between the clinic and the postal company.

“You got the permit?”

“Let’s talk inside.”

Alicia went to the office first. Karl followed behind. He took a whiff of the sunny smell and perfume when she got close for a moment. His eyes went to the documents placed on his office table. He picked one up. It was a letter.

“Dear Doctor Karl Von Alden,” he started. “We are pleased that you have followed the footsteps of your father.  And that we are happy to give you the proper permits.”

Karl stopped at the next sentence.

“So they want me speaking to a group of senators?”

“You are qualified to speak in front of them. If anything they are probably curious about what a Doctor of War would say.”

Karl sat on his office desk. “I don’t know about this.”

“It’ll get us a permit to operate and get supplies from the local government. Not to mention the appropriate subsidies we might get if we apply for it.”

Karl took the document handed by Alicia. After reading halfway through it. He realized that there was a lot that the united provinces could offer them in terms of funding.

“Sounds too good to be true.”

“The Medicine and Health Departments are eager to get to know you. If anything it’s because of your connection to the Verloren Einsen Company that they desire to know about the research done by the company.”

“Good luck to that. Most of it is in the hands of the Duchess and my brother. Most of the papers that I have are not accurate and are rather primitive compared to what my old man passed on to my blood-brother. Not to mention that they are going to publicize it to be improved upon. There are far more talented Doctors than me and they should use their wits to improve on what my peers started.”

“So are we going?”

“You are coming with me?”

Alicia folded her arms. She taps her fingers on her forearms.

“I have to make sure that any papers you sign are in agreement with the company. I won’t lie to you, Karl.  Viole wants a stake on some of those papers to legitimize his claim on our delivery services. Transporting medicine and the permit that will allow him to legally do so is profitable.”

“Mr. Viole really is going for anything these days.”

“You must get permits to transport items. President said that it took him two years to get a license and permit to transport weapons overseas since it is written in the alliance's agreement that unlawful transport of such goods would result in treason. He’d be hanged by the neck for crimes and his name blackened from history. The United Provinces and the Alliance don't take kindly to such transgressions.”

“So where are they going to hold this?”

“Stuhach’s Tiefenbrin.”

“The Capital?”

“Yes. They also addressed here that you will be meeting with Professor Albert Stuart, the Head of Medicine of Ruster. They are somewhat eager to meet you.”

“The soldier, not the Doctor.”

She didn’t comment. Karl knew that they were far more fascinated with his merits as a soldier than the merits that he had as a Doctor. They were far more curious about his deeds as a killer.

“So we’ll be closing the clinic,” Karl took his journal and then wrote down his schedule. “Take the train. Get a ticket from Avaios to Tiefenbrin. That’s about six hundred fifty miles of travel. Ugh, can we borrow a seaplane?”

“I don’t think there is any available. The planes are being tested, remember? They needed to make sure that they could reach Witia and Canico.”

“Guess it's the train then. I’ll have to train Owen to take down notes. No, he’s smart enough to do that now. Guess we can allow it. He should have some basic understanding of first-aid.”

Karl had tested him. He was able to handle basic treatment. Not to mention that Karl had him read up on the known treatments that he can administer with the handbook.

“Okay, I’ll tell Owen about it. Don’t you have any work?”

“This is work?”

“Guess it is.”

Karl placed the documents back on her briefcase. He has been increasingly getting used to Alicia working as his part-time assistant. It made him very concerned about where he should get a competent assistant in the event that she had other work.

“That reminds me. The proposal you submitted to the President is approved.  We will be assigning you to high-profile clients who can pay the bill. There might be some locals who can afford it, but don’t expect much.”

“I understand.”

“We will be taking the train tomorrow. I took the liberty to purchase tickets in advance. Please wear your formal suit in the event. I will be accompanying you as representative of the President.”

“Thank you.”

Alicia packed her things and left. She was always moving. Always working that made Karl feel like she was quite superhuman. Karl stared at the letter on his desk. He wondered what he should say in front of the folks waiting for him in Stuhach.

2