Chapter 43 – A Friend In Need
42 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Friend In Need

 

Karl followed the address that Lynda had given. She was actually doing well herself. Living in a similar style apartment. Of course when Karl had a ring on the doorbell. He was greeted by an old woman with a double-barreled coach gun.

“Mister?”

“It’s Doctor, madam,” he said smiling. “I wish to know if Ms. Lynda is here. Would you kindly tell her that I am here to visit?”

She raised her coach gun and then glared “Doctor, what are your intentions of visiting my patron?”

“Tell her please that it is me. I only wish to ask about her situation. She is my friend after all.”

The madame nodded. She shut the door quietly and called Lynda out. It took seconds before Lynda got out. She had cut her hair short. She wore a shawl around her shoulder and it was clear that she wasn’t sleeping well.

“Lynda.”

“Karl.”

“May I step in?”

She nodded quietly. The madame who held a coach gun watched them go upstairs. Entering Lynda’s room. Karl casts a glance at her and then to the books and dresses scattered everywhere.

“You’ve been busy.”

“I am still studying to become a talent.”

“I guess you are. So how is the career?”

“Not doing well, actually.”

She tried to keep appearances. But she looked at Karl and thought it was worthless to do so. “It’s not going well. How can I hide? You know how fierce the competition is?”

Karl picked up a book.

“So you are hoping to become a physician?”

“Pediatrics…and women’s health. Even now there are many women who are quite disturbed being seen by other male doctors. It feels like they are being robbed of their virtues.”

“Oh, I guess it makes sense. You’d get along with Ms. Clara Ravel.”

“You know Clara?”

“My blood-brother is courting her.”

“I met him. He is a charmer, he really should watch his words. Small world.”

“It sure is. Wait, why watch his words?”

“He can make people easily misunderstand. I thought that he really is your brother after seeing him.”

Karl nodded. He took a glance at the piece of paper seated on the tableware. On the paper it read that she was indebted to a loan company. She wanted to take it away, but seeing the seriousness in Karl’s face. She gave up.

“Loan sharks are bad business.”

“I know.”

“Need help?”

She did not speak. She looked away. Karl waited for her reply. 

“No.”

“Are you sure? We are friends, Lynda. I don’t mind helping a friend.”

Lynda looked at him sincerely. “You are not courting me, right?”

“Of course not. Or is it that strange to help your friends out?”

“Wow, you are a charmer, you and your brother. Really, seriously, you will?”

“I said so. Though I didn’t expect that you of all people would find trouble. I thought you were far more clever than this.”

“It’s hard to live here. And look at the fees of mine.”

Karl inspected the document she gave. She was quite clever in a way that she managed to settle the interest by using her pension from the government as collateral. These loan sharks have quite a way of taking it from people.

“You have your piece?”

She nodded. Her eyes went on Karl’s waist. Karl had a semi-automatic, magazine-fed, recoil-operated pistol strapped on his waist. She searched her drawers, and took out a similar pistol. It was a military-issued pistol.

The two left the apartment. Karl followed Lynda on the streets. They wove through a collection of people, bumping shoulders, and making no effort to look at who they bumped. He was taken to a rather secluded part of the city. Karl could smell oil. And the fumes of the factory smoke being blown out of the giant chimneys.

Lynda motioned Karl to take a lead. He spotted two men in checkered suits. Karl stood in front of them. They were like children compared to Karl. He is a broad-shouldered man with a slim waist, muscular limbs, and a natural intimidating aura and bearing of a soldier.

Just standing in front of the two made the guards fidgety. “Gentleman, I’m here to accompany my friend about her loan.”

“Is she paying?”

“That she is.”

“Okay. Come in.”

They climbed a metal staircase and took a right turn inside a building. It has the look of an office. There are clerks and employees who are doing paperwork. There is a smell of paper and ink in the office. Lynda was familiar with the place, so she took Karl straight to the office.

Lynda entered first. There was a greedy smile on the person who wore a dress shirt and a black vest. He pushed the rim of his glasses. Then noticed Karl who entered after Lynda.

“Ms. Magnolia. I trust that you are doing well? And who might this be?”

“This is Doctor Karl Von Alden.”

“Ah, a good doctor,” the man extended his hand. “I am called Rufus Berg.

Karl shook the man’s hands stiffly. There was no change in Karl’s expression. He was like a block of ice. He folded his arms and then motioned for Lynda. Lynda took out the paperwork of her loan and handed half of her debt.

Mr. Berg checked on his ledger, traced his finger on the book, and found her name.

“I see that you are due as of yesterday. And your… payment is quite lacking.”

Karl half-squinted. Mr. Berge shrugged and leaned back. “This is legal business. And I do not take kindly to intimidation, Doctor Von Alden.”

“Ms. Magnolia here will pay. You, the creditor, will be lenient to Ms. Magnolia.”

“I’m afraid that I can’t do that, Doctor.”

He said without much tone of voice. Karl looked at Lynda who helplessly sagged her shoulders.

“Should I hurt him?”

“Please no. It would increase my debt, probably.”

“I can just fix him back up. I am a doctor, after all.”

“Are you threatening me, good doctor? Both of you?”

“Not really. If I was, you’d be on the ground before you could scream.”

“Trust me, Mr. Berg, if he was threatening you. He’d not be so kind.”

“I have men who will come.”

“Those two-bit fools? Please, you’re not threatening me. I might be a lesser doctor, but goodness they shouldn’t take substances. They have poor skin tone, and  they appear so tired.”

Mr. Berg looked. He scrutinized where he sat and where Karl stood. He noticed the piece that they wore around their waist. He behaved as if it clicked in his head. Mr. Berg is a businessman and seems old enough to understand when to fold. Not to mention that there is an understanding in his eyes. That they weren’t here to just threaten.

“Fine,” he folded. “I will take half of the debt the Miss wants. You will not be able to take loans from any of my associates and your name shall be in the black book.”

Karl reached out to his pocket and handed the remaining debt. Mr. Berg sighed and counted the money before writing on his record. Mr. Berg remained calm. He had no reaction other than the frustration of losing a bit of money.

“I see that I need to work on my security.”

“That you should.”

“And you two are veterans of a war. If word gets out that I treat veterans unfairly. The law will come to my doorstep and would make a monster of me. You know they are so eager lately to take what isn’t theirs.”

“How kind of you.”

“It’s not kindness, Doctor Von Alden. It is intelligence and wit that separates a dead creditor and a flourishing one. I know when to double-down and to fold. Of course, cheap tricks like these are not worth losing my life or being beaten down by a medical professional… who had survived that gruesome war.”

Karl knew that the man was somewhat apprehensive. The war was recently over and the brotherhood of the soldiers who fought in the war are still as strong. Not to mention that the incredible sense that this man had towards them made Karl realize that he knew that if he had done something today. The veterans would somewhat hear it and do two things. Take this chance to wipe their debt by acting for justice and the rest would act for the sake of the brotherhood. Karl thought that Mr. Berg is an insightful man who knows how the world is. Nonetheless, he couldn’t get to like the man.

“We’ll be leaving. It was not a pleasure, Mr. Berg. I hope that our paths don’t cross and that you leave Ms. Magnolia alone.”

“For a man of medicine, you are eager to threaten a defenseless man.”

“I don’t kill without cause, Mr. Berg. Today, you didn’t give me and I thank you for doing that, truly.”

Karl and Lyndal left the loaning company. After a few minutes of walking. Lynda stopped and sighed heavily.

“Well, that's a huge load off my back. Thank you kindly.”

She blinked at him.

“So want coffee?”

Karl nodded slowly. “Sure, I was hoping for that.”

2