Chapter 22
779 2 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Greenskins came rushing out of the hole, and a cracking boom of handguns raked their frontline. Her dozen men along with three dozen mercenaries delivered a powerful first strike, the Precision boon that she had given them allowed them to hit more soundly than they would have, and as a result, the first wave was reduced to nothing in a pair of volleys. Estaria had dropped a few hundred spare Nuln-forged bullets into the Mercenaries ammo barrel earlier - they were like droplets of rain to her these days - and so they had ammo for several volleys. And that was exactly what they needed, as she got a pop-up.

 

Wave 1 completed. Commencing Wave 2 in 60 seconds

 

The wait time was skipped after the handgunners had reloaded, because she didn’t want to run down the clock and lose her men. This next rush held the same Boyz, but in a larger number, and some with shields. The whittling volleys managed to reduce them in number, but there was some skirmish on the front-line with a few surviving Orcs. Waves 3 and 4 went the same way, though more and more Orcs were reaching the frontline.

On Wave 5 - designated the Boss Wave - a Boar-riding Biggun came out and Estaria cored his brain with her Hotchland shot. By Wave 6, most of the front line had been replaced with large, more heavily armoured Orcs, who's massive physique soaked bullets with only a stumble, and took multiple to bring down.

It was here that the butchering began. Close quarters in vicious numbers, Estaria brought her sword to many of them, and with a surprising zeal, she was joined by the mercenaries. Men fell to Orc axes, Orcs fell to Human blades, and the bodies mounted up on both sides with alarming speed. In front of them was a minefield of Orc and Human, leading for some treasonous footing that more than one Orc tripped on as he charged the human line.

 

By Wave 10, the human line was flagging. Tired, wounded, and thin, it stood against a second Boss Wave, where a great Warboss and his Black Orcs charged the line. This was not going to go well, but Estaria whipped out her pistols and took down the Warboss in a hail of gunfire, reloading twice before the damn thing went down, and then getting stuck in with the frontline of the Black Orcs. A few Handgunners had managed to survive, and were taking pot-shots, but most were dead or wounded. The mercenaries were stout, and she didn't know if that was because Estaria was here, or because they were Mercenaries and more than their life was on the line if they ran away...

Summoning her men again, and using the Hotchland strike, Estaria pulled out all the stops and used all her skills to push back the Orcs, being basically the only fighter in the fray now, with some scattered skirmishing on the edges. It was rough work, and not work she escaped from unscathed. Even with her stamina, the Fatigue bar was encroaching 60% and she had taken some Health damage, luck having been depleted a while back. But with zeal and fury, she managed to push back the last Orc, drive her sword into his skull, and then lean on it. There was no way she’d hold Wave 11. Maybe she should call the Dwarves, and damn the rewards?

 

Congratulations - you have completed the Defence Mission

 

A much welcome pop-up was seen after the last troll was down, but she really wished it would be more clear. There was no indication that there was only ten waves to do. Still, no use crying over spilled milk, aye? A Dwarf detachment appeared to tell her what she already knew - that it was time to pull back - and Estaria nodded. Got to get the people that were wounded back to the camp, the dead into the ground, and then talk to the Dwarves some more. There was no chance she was passing up this opportunity to obtain some serious, honest-to-Sigmar Dwarven Equipment. Plus, the head-sized chunk of Gromril might make a few of the Dwarves happy.

 

Captain’s Halflings have looted the battlefield You gained 25,000 gold pieces

You gained 3x Troll Meat

You have leveled up

You have leveled up

 

 

Relationship with the Dwarves increased. Simple Dwarven craft is now accessible in the Shop

 

Estaria got inundated with a host of windows after the defence mission. Reading them and then shutting them down, she bashed it all to the side and helped out with the carrying of the people to the carts kept safely in the rear. Dead for one cart, injured for a second, and everyone was on their way back to the camp. What they saw there was a marvel of Dwarven engineering and robust work ethic. In but a few hours, they had dug in and made a sturdy redoubt and were even starting on stone-work. They truly were a magnificent race to be able to do this in such a short time. Pulling in the dead cart and informing the human Organizer of the reason behind it, Estaria headed out to find the Dwarven Commander of the Redoubt.

 

“One of the Orcs was carrying this chunk of Rock. It looked like metal, so I was wondering if you could tell me what it is” she asked, pulling out the large chunk of Gromril. The Dwarf’s eyes went wide and he quickly took the rock and set it on the ground, beginning a series of tests before returning his gaze to Estaria.

“This is Pure Gromril. Exactly what we came here looking for. How much do you want for it?” He asked Estaria, who just waved her hand.

“It’s just a rock to me. So you keep it, make something nice” she said told him. The poor Dwarf’s eyes were about to pop out of his head when he heard that, and quickly it was picked up and taken to a small stone building with a heavy door, clearly some sort of Vault for the Gromril.

 

Relationship with the Dwarves increased. Advanced Dwarven Craft is now accessible in the Shop

 

Not like she’d be able to afford it right now though, her cash was a little on the slim side. But maybe she could rectify that with a show of skill around the Karak she was going to be lounging about for a while. As if thought summoned the Dwarf - with Traukon at his side - there was the one who tried to buy her sword. A “Level 30 Ironbeard” which reminded Estaria to check her own status later.

“There is not much left for Mercenaries to do, outside of maybe guard duty and some manual labour. Neither of which is a fit job for someone of your standing” he exclaimed, before, with vigorous passion, she was bundled into a Dwarven cart that had brought the materials, and was heading back to the Dwarf’s Karak. A testament to just how much they wanted this sword, Elaine was even there, which made the weary and blood-soaked Estaria smile.

“So, they seem to like you. What did you get up to?” Traukon asked, while he sat with Estaria in the back of the wagon, penning Es in by lover and friend.

“I got a Relationship boost for succeeding in the Defence mission, possibly without calling any Dwarf reinforcements. And then a second one for giving a large chunk of Gromril to the overseer” Estaria explained. And well, Gromril was quite important because Traukon’s eyebrows rose.

“The one from the shop?” he asked, to which Estaria nodded. “The 50,000 gold pieces one from the shop?” he emphasized, to which she nodded again. “You just gave away 50,000 gold pieces? How much did you even get from the siege?!” He demanded, leaning forward in his seat.

“Just shy of 200 grand. There was thousands of Marauders, and 88 Chaos Warriors there. As well as monsters, and it strips ally as well as enemy ”

 

Traukon sat back in his seat, and shook his head. It was preposterous that such a thing would happen.

"Shit. You never told me it was that bad" Elaine spoke up, looking to Es with light worry. She was lost in the talk of money and systems, but the siege was definitely something that lit up on her radar.

“It was fine, I had the Middenhiemers with me. Greatest swordsmen in the Empire, there was no worries" Estaria exclaimed, leaning into Es. "And I spent a good chunk of that on the sword that he's got up front" she finished to Traukon.

“So Orange equipment has Runes? Lost Runes?” he asked. Gromril was one thing, but Lost Runes were entirely another thing.

“I wouldn’t say for certain. It was 50,000, same as the Gromril, so I never bought a second. But I would say it is a good chance” she told him. Traukon looked thoughtful, and then started to mess with his system. Apparently others of the game could see when another was doing it.

 

Taking this opportunity, Estaria opened her own and thought for a moment. She had a trait, and so spent it on getting some Footmen. With that done, she reached her arm around Elaine, and then nodded.

"Catchin' a nap" she commented, shufling back and closing her eyes. A soldier's best skill was being able to sleep in their armour, and it was one that really paid well right now...

39