Chapter 29
640 2 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, she was still alive. And uncaptured to boot, unless her captors were playing some kind of mind-games, giving a nice - ish - bed to rest in. Shifting slightly, she was not sure she could escape even if she was captured, her body stiff and itchy. But she wasn’t the kind of woman to just give up, so she pulled herself into a sitting position and dealt with the boxes that had patiently waited for her to wake up.

 

You have leveled up

 

“Stolen Soul” obtained

 

Critical Wound - the near death experience has left scars that take time to heal and recover from. Time until Critical Wound is healed; 7 days
 

Distant Words - In the Land between Lands, your God’s words are quiet and his power limited. Halves benefit from Godly Blessing.

 

Only one level from killing Zarh…Wow. It put into perspective the rewards from the Field Boss. Though he was a level below her and she was several levels higher than when she fought the Abomination. Exp was on an upwards curve, got harder to get more levels as the day progressed. And just to screw her twice, she was forced into this weakened state for a whole week and her God Blessing was reduced. Not dying sucked.

Flicking open the next box, she looked at this "Stolen Soul". Apparently, she had taken Zarh's essence hostage and was now using it to empower her own racial trait, gaining 100% extra experience from all kills and fights. That, was certainly worth the fight she had with the bastard…

 

Pushing herself out of bed and tying on the shoes, the ground was unstable again. She didn’t think she’d have to get used to her sense of balance so often, but apparently those were the breaks when you rolled with supernatural powers. Sluggish and short-legged, she would meander out of the room and follow her instincts to the deck of a ship.

 

“Major! It’s good to see you up!” one of the crew exclaimed, rushing over to give her a hand. “The sea aint kind to those of the land, so don’t force yerself” he continued, guiding her over to the edge where she could steady herself.

 

“So. We have been at sea a while” Estaria commented, noticing that there was just ocean in every direction.

“Three days” the crewman confirmed, nodding. “We were getting worried when the second day passed and you were still lying there. People thought you were dead and just breathing out of habit”

 

Startling lack of biological understanding aside, Es was glad to be on her feet. Though was absolutely feeling the three days with no food or water, so bought some out of the shop. She was getting used to the fact that people didn’t seem to care about her System, so she just did things.

 

“How long till we get where we are going?” Es asked, staring into the horizon. Hopefully, more than a week, because she’d not like to present while like this.

 

“Depends on the wind and tides. The Sea loves, and The Sea hates. At good speed, we’ll be there in another four days. At bad, it could take a few weeks”

 

Her friendly little crewman was then caught by a senior crew member, who nearly beat him back into his job before explanations of his slacking was given. He was still chased off, but without any real punishment. Her men were apparently well contained in the passenger quarters, and there had been no major issues yet. So, with that report given, she just meandered about the ship, getting the stiffness out of her joints and taking in the sea air.

 

While her stats were halved, they were still pretty impressive, so she helped out where she could, and got a good reputation for herself. Several days passed uneventfully, and Estaria got a lot of new friends with her Harpooning skills keeping supplies fresh and happy. One day, when they were becalmed and unable to really go anywhere, she kept the crew and passengers entertained with a few days from when she went to the Karak, both her own tales and the tales of what she got up to there.

 

It was hard, out in the ocean. There were constant new noises and smells, ruining her sensory awareness. It must have been that, then, that allowed the Corsairs to sneak up on her so easily. One night when she was staring at the starts, a Crossbow bolt slammed into her shoulder and sent her spinning. She hit the deck hard just in time for the system to tell her she had been poisoned and started racking up Fatigue at a rapid rate. Had to be now, didn’t it? Without her full power, and in the dead of night…

 

Still, even critically wounded and now poisoned, she was not one to just give in, and pulled out her Repeater, blowing a hole in the first man, and clipping the head of the second. The shots awoke the crew, and the deck erupted in violence. Though, it was a massacre, all told. The Marines were trained to fight on the ocean, but the Corsairs were swift like quicksilver and beyond precise. One dodged a gunshot from Estaria and kicked the pistol across the deck, straddling her in the same moment and strangling her.

 

She knocked him the fuck out with a solid slug to the jaw, but found it difficult to push him off with one arm, the other having gone completely numb. Fatigue mounting by the second, she gritted her teeth and pushed with all her might, managing to slide him off and stagger to her feet. It did very little, however, since now she just had a fine viewpoint to watch the Corsairs take the crew apart. Light cuts, numbing poison, and garrotes meant they were here for slaves, which was worse than just here to kill them. The tales of Druchii cruelty were legendary.

 

Grabbing one of the Corsairs weapons, she got into the thick of the fighting and locked with one of the Corsairs, though they definitely had teamwork down well, and a second snuck up on her while she was focused on him, wrapping a tight garrote around her throat. She was quickly disarmed of the sword and the man she was fighting delivered several punches to her gut to knock the wind out of her. Between that and the poison, she was quickly losing consciousness. A few, frantic kicks broke bone but the Corsair behind her didn’t let up, and eventually she went limp in his grasp.

31