Chapter 44
506 9 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Queen’s Step was of use in the snow, allowing Estaria to range far from the caravan in scouting and then return with swiftness that few could match. She was in a heavy outfit that warded off the cold rather than her fighting uniform, so she had a lot less armour if she ran into something, but would not freeze to death on her patrols. A pay-off she was happy with, honestly.

 

Filnon had the other side, and between them they managed to avoid the bigger, more ugly threats of the Tundra. A few lost Maruader bands, a few Druchii who were mad enough to try their luck, and one young Warhound who had lost it’s mother. Filnon took this doggo in as her own, and fed him as they travelled through the Tundra. Eventually, the freezing cold and long nights huddled around a fire gave way to pounded snow and the heat of civilization. They had lost a few people on the way, since the tundra was cruel and there was not enough time to get proper expedition equipment. Nor were some of the slaves and Druchii the type to survive such an exertion in hostile environment.

 

But the loss of those few was mitigated by the arrival into the glorious city of Khaine, Har Garath. The guards at the gate were curious as to what happened, but a conversation with the new Hag that the Witches had elected during the walk over here allowed them to enter and get settled down into the Coven. Far from what Es was used to, this was a mighty edifice, a place of power and respect that loomed over the entire city.

 

The slaves they had brought were gathered and put to work clearing the supplies out of the cage and into the new rooms that the Witches had been given, and that ultimately meant Estaria. Not that she minded a bit of manual work, honestly. Though an hour into it, when they were nearly done, she was approached silently by one of the Witches while she was in the storeroom.

 

“So you are the Chain-Witch, huh?” The woman asked. Es stood up and turned around, looking for other people before realizing the Witch was talking, to her.  

“Yes” Estaria exclaimed, nodding. She was so glad to have a title that wasn’t the one from the other damned city.

“That was a quick acceptance. What do you have against Bloody Bunny?” the woman asked, with a raised eyebrow. Estaria’s face turned a scarlet red from embarrassment and temper, and she got to straightening the boxes with a feverish focus.

“Sorry. Fukuri is chittering to everyone about how awesome you were, and let slip that one. Though, from what I hear it is rather accurate. You bounce about, and spill blood. Though Fukuri is giving us quite the tale, how you carved a dozen men to pieces and slew a noble to save her from the foul clutches of her enemy”

 

The Witch would give a grin, leaning against the wall, and Estaria…stopped her frantic sorting, and sighed.

“What is it with Witches and exaggerating my capabilities? She missed out the part where they seemingly couldn’t work together, and the part where I was pretty much fucked at the end of it and needed rescuing by Filnon before I got killed by the Master” Estaria replied, giving a shake of her head. 

“Ahh, stop with the self-depreciation. The fact that you managed to go through more than a pair of the Lordlings is cause for celebration. The Sisters want to dance with you in the arena, if you are up for it” The Witch commented. 

 

“The sisters?” Estaria asked, confusion evident in tone and voice. Turning, she’d gesture lightly to come walk with her out of the store room.

“Ahh, right. You don’t have any of them. Sisters Of Slaughter are a sort of elite Witch who has excelled beyond the others. Hag is a command rank, but Sisters of Slaughter are meritorical. Doesn’t matter who you are, you don’t get with them if you can’t pass the trials” 

“So are you one of these Sisters then?”
“Bah, no! I tried once, but got my fuckin’ arse kicked. Those Sisters are a different breed of Druchii. Which is why I am excited to see you fight them, so I can see if you live up to Fukuri’s hype or if she just has stars in her eyes from your gallant rescue”

 

That was quite the thing to live up to, so Estaria took a breath and diverted off for a moment to get out of her current garb and into her fighting gear, before returning and nodding to the Witch.

“Fashion sense as well as beauty. Ohh, we are jealous of the love you have for Filnon” the Witch exclaimed, giving a grin. Though Es flushed again and shook, dipping her head low.

“I don’t love her! We are just, together. She picked me up and I got to not die in the Tundra. We are just each other’s supporter in her goals, that’s all”

 

Estaria’s protests just seemed to entertain the Witch further, and the soft chuckles persisted all the way to the arena. Here, three white haired women stood waiting for Estaria. Each one had a soft red name, and even as they stood waiting for her, swayed with grace and dexterity that a human would find impossible to comprehend. This, really was a different breed, huh? Their level of power was quite intimidating for Estaria, though she wouldn’t let that put her off, and just took her stance, activating Witch Dance for it’s buffs and prepping for the fight ahead.

 

“That part of the tale is right. It’s surprising to find a Human with the dexterity and capability to learn our Dance. My enthusiasm grows even further” the Witch commented, stepping back into the stands with the rest of her sisters to enjoy the show. Estaria hoped to put on a good show, though had little faith in that capability without Filnon by herself to support her against these kind of foes.

 

Their speed was monstrous. In an eyeblink, they were there in front of Estaria. She managed to reflect the first punch and move to twist the woman’s arm into a breaking bind, but her second friend came in with perfect teamwork, and struck Estaria’s elbow, causing her to lose the grip with a spasm of pain. The third Sister flipped over the First and drove an axe-kick to Estaria’s head, who bent backwards and used her Quicksilver Viper to lash a blow to the woman’s calf, knocking her kick off course and causing a nasty bruise to show up. Flipping fully backwards from her bending, she barely managed to roll her head to avoid the punch from the first, and got a fist in the face from the second. Clearing space for a moment with a wild swing of her fist, the third Sister was on her with a blow to the ribs, which rolled her into the first sister’s roundhouse kick.

 

Sure, 3v1 was a bit cheating, but these girls fought like they were all the same entity. So on point, so aware of each other and ready to capitalize on their gains and cover their losses. It was quite amazing to see honestly. If you weren’t on the receiving end of it, then it hurt a lot. Still, Estaria was not a woman who gave up, and as she rolled from the roundhouse kick, she would avoid a punch by going full splits, and then sweep her legs rapidly, knocking over one of the Sisters.

 

Kipping Up, she deployed an elbow block for one of the thrown punches and then stepped in and slammed a palm against the second Sister’s chest, throwing her whole weight into it to push her away if nothing else. The desperate reversal of fortunes was reversed when she moved to hit the third Sister but got countered and flipped over her hip, the Sister twisting in mid air to land with her knee in Estaria’s back and both arms held tightly in a harsh lock. 

 

“Truly, you are a wonder of a fighter. You will make an exceptional addition to our Coven” the Hag who had been preceding exclaimed, clapping. “I truly look forward to your exploits in the field, my dear”

21