Chapter 21
47 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chaos. Of the none corrupting kind, was the emotion of the moment. After survival instincts of the battle had waned with the enemy deciding to wait for an opportune moment - or just not having enough people to sustain a push - the sisters broke into a minor degree of panic. The Palatine had been killed, the Nobles were corrupted by the corrupting sort of Chaos, and the PDF was expecting the Sororitas to be the Hammer to their Anvil and strike the heretics from two fronts with the nobles armsmen, which would be difficult since the armsmen were now the enemy. Reina’s bolstering speech kept cohesion, but there was a broad line between cohesion and perfection.

 

Chattering to Sister Superior Reina came from the Sisters Superior of the Dominion squads, but it was of a nervous sort. Nobody was scared to die for The Emperor, but this situation was one that could end in so many horrible fashions. So shocked from the turncoats and the hostilities around them, nobody thought to question the shield that had protected them, and many passed it off as their own personal faith in The Emperor protecting them.

 

Eventually, one of the Dominion Superiors made a resounding move, walking up to the barricade and ripping the Autocannon off its stand.

“Alright! We are in a shit situation and there ain’t no way out except through the enemy. So let's give the Emperor’s Mercy to these heretics and get home. I could do with a meal right now” she was clearly a woman that had not come from wealth or been taught demurity and elegance, but that had an impact on the Sororitas. The bold words and actions of the Superior were something to aspire to and mimic, so they did just that.

 

Only, Reina pulled Emia to one side as the Dominion surged forward to give a front line for the Angelus to take to the skies.

“We need to get down to communications and tell Command about this. It is imperative, and given the vox doesn’t work, sending an Angelus is the only option left. While your Faith is something I would dearly want to keep by my side, it is also the same reason I send you, because with them I can guarantee you will get there. We can’t halt the assault now, but they can change their tactics up to not rely on our coming. It will save lives”

 

Emia would listen to Reina’s words, and nod. As much as Emia herself wanted to stay with her Sisters and fight, communication was key in a fight, so she would nod and turn to leave through the point they had entered through. The call to send Emia rather than another turned out to be a good one, as the enemy had deployed down the tower in an anti-flyer formation, and Emia took heavy fire from the enemies. Her natural agility and faith managed to hold off most of this, but she had depleted that entirely and small arms fire had made a few lucky shots on her as she descended, lowering her health to just shy of being critically wounded. Clearly they weren’t fans of the idea of someone escaping the trap to report to command. But Emia managed to get outside the range of their weaponry, but all the fire had caused her to overshoot, and she crashed down into one of the satellite bases, the impact pushing her into Critical Wound status. Additional status injuries were draining her stamina, and she’d be under soon.

 

But, she couldn’t let that stop her from delivering the message, so she looked to the guard who had come to investigate the situation, and pulled off her helmet so they could see her face.

“Call Command, the enemy set a trap for the Sororitas force. We can’t provide aid for the assaults!” she exclaimed, staggering to her feet and, as the guardsman just stood shocked, hobbling over to the vox tent herself and repeating the exclamation to the people there.

 

Better disciplined than the stunned guard outside, they began to look into it immediately, while one of the sargents tried to gain more information from Emia. Emia told him as much as she could, and fortunately the status effects draining her stamina ground to a halt at 99% fatigue, allowing her to stay awake, if only just, and fill them in on the situation. They were shocked to hear of noble traitors, and suddenly they had no idea what to do. If the nobles were traitors, or even if just one noble was a traitor, the chances of the Governor being a traitor was also possible. He had been slow to call in aid for the rebellion, after all. Plus, out of every order he had called an order that was most liable to send a lackluster force to aid him.

 

This doubt spread through the tent like wildfire, but they did not entirely lose their heads either. Even though her active faith powers were out of juice at the moment, her passive ones were still working, and she was still inspiring the men to their very best with her presence. So they would do their very best and get in contact with Command to work out a new plan of action given this new and radically shocking turn of events.

 

Emia, for her part, just leaned her head back and closed her eyes when the sargent was done. She just...needed...a moment...

1