Chapter 3 – Friends
291 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next few days were followed by even more discrete bullying by the rest of the classroom against Hikaru. Her table was vandalised with profane words and drawings, telling her to leave the school, and the same was done to her locker, with someone having badly dented the front of it, causing the lock to break. Her sport shoes were missing and so were other items she had placed into her locker, replaced by thumb tacks that stabbed at her fingers as she reached in.

Despite all this, Hikaru stayed silent about the unfair treatment she was receiving. Even if teachers flashed her looks of concerns, Hikaru would simply force a weak smile and whisper that nothing was going on.

She was a naive girl, having lived her entire life sheltered in the countryside, never experiencing the cruel realities of the outside world. Her belief was that her kindness would in turn be reciprocated with kindness. 

Truthfully speaking, nobody would be able to help her anyways. Almost every single student at Hibiya High came from families that were wealthy and powerful, sitting at the uppermost echelon of society's elites. Well, not that Hikaru was even aware of this fact however. 

~x~

Ugh, what to do...

Aya glanced next to her at the faded vandalism scrawled across Hikaru's desk. Most of it had been rubbed out, since Hikaru came early in the morning just to clean her desk before class, otherwise the teachers would had noticed. By now, Aya had already figured out what was going on to Hikaru. 

Usually when I see something like this, I have no problem looking the other way... so why is it so hard this time...?

Aya wanted to sigh, but there was people in the classroom and she had an image to maintain, so she averted her sable eyes down to her notebook, pretending to read. 

Isn't it fine this way? Aya underlined a random word with her pen. I was the one that told Fumiko that I didn't like Hikaru. In the end, Hikaru will be bullied out of the school, I won't have these weird feelings in my heart, and life moves on. Problem solved.

So... why...?!

The pen pressed down on the paper, continuing to dig down until it suddenly tore into the page underneath, sullying her perfect handwriting.

Why can't I just ignore it...?!

"About the recent exam results..." Abe-sensei was standing at the front of the classroom, holding a stack of paper, "I've got them here."

Excited murmurs stirred across the classroom with heads perking up, trying desperately to catch a better glimpse of the stack of papers in Abe-sensei's hands. Hibiya High was ranked number 1 across Japan academically after all. 

"Firstly," Abe-sensei dropped the stack of papers at his desk, then glanced up proudly, "I would like to congratulate the person who scored number 1 in our class."

Everyone in the class already knew who the person was, only Hikaru didn't know.

"This student," Abe-sensei continued, "Not only scored number 1 in our class, but also, number 1 across the entire school, with not a single mistake in her exam!"

"Aya Kuramoto!" Abe-sensei announced, then glance over at Aya. I'm going to get another raise this year, thanks to this girl... I've been blessed with so much luck to be teaching this class... "Congratulations!"

Even before Abe-sensei announced the name, the whole class had already been glancing at Aya. Everyone started clapping for their school idol, cheering energetically. 

"H-haha..." Aya laughed with a hand to her mouth in a polite fashion, having been spaced out in her thoughts when her name was suddenly called out. "It's nothing, really..." Then, she paced over to Abe-sensei's desk to retrieve her paper.

"You should be proud of yourself!" Abe-sensei said, not knowing Aya's modesty was really all an act. "Don't talk down your achievements like that!"

"Thank you, sensei." Aya smiled as she took her paper from Abe-sensei's hands. "I wouldn't have been able to do it without you."

Abe-sensei laughed heartily, knowing fully well that Aya would be able to do it without him. 

From the corner of Aya's eyes, she saw Hikaru staring up at her in admiration.

Wah, this girl's so smart! Hikaru thought to herself. I can't believe I'm sitting next to such a smart person!

H-Hikaru's staring at me...! Aya's cheeks went slightly more pink than usual, then she quickly returned back to her desk from the front of the class. 

"Hey, are you okay...?" Fumiko asked Aya as she sat down, glancing at her face. 

"Anyways, I'll start handing papers back now." Abe-sensei said as he peered down at the first paper at the top of the stack.

Calling out names, Abe-sensei handed out the rest of the papers to the class one by one. Until finally...

"Uh..." Abe-sensei held up the last paper, staring at the page, then glanced around the room. "Hikaru...?"

Hikaru got up from her desk with a cheerful smile. It was an innocent smile, like that of a child.

As Hikaru reached the teacher's desk, Abe-sensei muttered something to her, then her smile fell, and they left the classroom together.

"I'll just be one second." Abe-sensei said, before he left the room with Hikaru.

...

The classroom started chattering amongst themselves.

"Hikaru must had done really poorly for Abe-sensei to take her out of the room like that!"

"Can't she just go back to the countryside! She's obviously not suited for Hibiya High!"

"She's dragging our entire class down with her!"

...

Aya glanced around the classroom, feeling as though she wanted to punch every single one of them in the face. Obviously she couldn't do that though. People would be shocked out of their minds if Aya Kuramoto got up and started punching everyone. So instead, Aya clenched her fists underneath her desk and tried to satisfy herself with her imagination.  

Fumiko's eye flickered down below Aya's desk and noticed.

"Um... Aya...?" Fumiko called out to her friend in a soft worried voice, "Are you okay...? You've been acting kind of strange today..."

Instantly, Aya unclenched her fists, glancing over at Fumiko with a weak smile, "I-I'm okay, Fumiko...! Maybe I'm a little tense from archery yesterday..."

"Hey," Sana called to the two of them from where she sat behind Aya, "Do you think it's true that Hikaru did really bad in the exam?"

"No!" Aya snapped, "It's obviously a dumb rumour. And even if she did do poorly, it's only because she's new to Hibiya High and didn't get as much time as everyone else to study!"

"Ahah...!" Sana retreated back to her desk, "S-sorry Aya, I was just curious...!"

"Didn't you say you didn't like Hikaru...?" Fumiko asked Aya, feeling slightly cautious. 

"Yes, I did say that," Aya said with a wince, "But that doesn't mean we all go and make fun of her grades."

Fumiko stared at Aya quietly, not really understanding what Aya was thinking. All Fumiko knew was that Aya was acting weird, and Fumiko didn't like it, not one bit.  

"I agree with Aya," Sana chirped in, "I don't understand why everyone's being so mean to her..."

"Exactly," Aya said, then glanced at Fumiko, "Don't you agree, Fumiko?"

"O-of course...!"  Fumiko smiled back at Aya, having no choice but to agree. 

Maybe Fumiko will stop picking on Hikaru with this... Aya hoped to herself.

When Abe-sensei returned to the classroom, Hikaru was following behind him with an embarrassed blush on her face. She avoided making eye contact with the wave of stares directed at her, briskly returning to her desk and shoving her paper into her bag.

Dammit, Hikaru! Aya winced, seeing this. Why do you have to make it so obvious for? Now everyone's going to think you scored badly for sure.

Abe-sensei coughed, drawing the attention of the classroom, then resumed the class. 

~x~

How... How is it possible that I have not been able to make 1 single friend after so long...?! 

Hikaru sat at her desk alone as she always did during lunchtime. Wandering around the school by herself was too daunting, although sitting here on her own was lonely too. However, the classroom at least felt sort of safe and familiar.  

Hikaru had never wanted to come to Tokyo in the first place. It was only because she had somehow scored a scholarship for people living in rural areas that her parents forced her to go to Hibiya High, a school renowned across the nation for its prestige and wealthy alumni. She still remembered how her mum had insisted to her that Tokyo would be just like the countryside.

Glancing down at her bag, Hikaru thought about her exam results and how she had scored at the very bottom of the class despite how hard she had studied for the exam. Abe-sensei had told her not to worry as she was still new to the school, but Hikaru knew that even Abe-sensei was worried for her. 

Hikaru shook her head, trying to not let herself feel down. Even though, everything seemed to be going against her, she wanted to make her parents happy. She couldn't bear to see the look on their faces if she had to tell them that she had been expelled due to her poor exam results after they had spent so much money for her to enter Hibiya High. That was another reason why she didn't tell anyone about the bullying. 

Next to her, Hikaru could hear a trio of girls talking and laughing and she turned her head to glance over at Aya, Fumiko and Sana.

The three of them are so pretty... Hikaru thought to herself. But... Aya's definitely the prettiest. 

Lucious black hair falling down to her shoulders, mesmerising sable eyes, and a perfect face with refined traditional features. If someone had told Hikaru that Aya was a model, Hikaru would had wholly believed it. 

Even Aya's body was as beautiful as her face was, proportioned, slim, and toned from frequent exercise. Despite being in a school uniform, Hikaru could see the outline of Aya's generously sized chest.  

And then, there's me.

Hikaru glanced down at herself and blushed at how flat she was. She couldn't help but to quickly avert her gaze out of embarrassment.

I wish I was like Aya...

Hikaru's gaze turned back to Aya again, seeing her nodding to something that Fumiko was saying. Everyone else in the classroom wasa chatting away to someone except for Hikaru.

I just want some friends... even just one would be good... Hikaru thought, then mustered her courage, taking a deep breath. It's lunchtime and everyone's talking to one another. So, it's not weird for me to talk to them... right...?

"...dad said he booked tickets for our family to travel to Europe for vacation next month!" Fumiko was telling Aya, trying to entertain her.

"Europe?" Aya said, "Didn't you already go there a few months ago, Fumiko?"

"Europe is nice!" Sana said, "I've only been two or three times though, only because my parents had a conference there and brought me along."

"Right?" Fumiko nodded energetically, "Europe is the best!"

"I'm a bit sick of Europe to be honest..." Aya said, "I've been there so many times."

"No fair!" Fumiko frowned lightheartedly, "Not everyone gets to go to as much holidays as you, Aya!"

"U-um..."

Hearing Hikaru's voice suddenly, the three girls turned to glance at Hikaru who was sitting next to Aya's desk. Hikaru was red in the face, trying nervously to join their conversation, "...what is Europe like?" 

"You..." Fumiko stared at Hikaru in disbelief, "You've never been to Europe?"

Hikaru shook her head in a cute way, turning more than necessary.

She's so cute!! Aya thought, trying her best to control her expression as she gazed at Hikaru. I wonder what it would be like to pat her head...!

"Europe is... a very diverse place!" Sana smiled, trying to make Hikaru feel comfortable, "But it's fun, you should definitely go. There's so much to do and see there."

"R-really?" Hikaru said, "I-I want to go, but my parents can't afford it..."

"'Your parents can't afford it'?" Fumiko repeated, "Are you serious? Come on, Hikaru, your parents afforded to send you here, didn't they? Surely they have some money left in the piggy bank for you to travel with."

"H-hey Fumiko..." Sana said.

"Um, they spent all their money to send me here..." Hikaru said. "They said it was very expensive..."

"Okay, now I'm curious," Fumiko said, crossing her arms, "What do your parents do, Hikaru?"

"They fish..." Hikaru said.

"What?" Fumiko said.

Neither Aya or Sana understood either.

"Um... sorry, Hikaru," Sana tried to smile, "Could you repeat that?"

"Um..." Hikaru glanced between the three girls staring at her. "T-they're fishermen..."

Only Sana was able to understand that.

"Fish?" Fumiko said, "As in like they're retired so they go fishing?"

Hikaru shook her head, "They catch fish and seafood... to make money..."

Fumiko blinked blankly at Hikaru for a second, then laughed, "Wh-what? Come on, Hikaru. Please don't joke around like that!"

"I-I'm not joking..." Hikaru said, confused.

"Really? Fishermen?" Fumiko said in a raised voice. Students around the classroom started giggling. "I almost thought for a second you were saying that your parents were fishes. You're just too funny, Hikaru."

Hikaru's cheeks reddened, hearing laughter spreading around the classroom.

"Sorry sorry..." Fumiko chuckled, holding back laughter as she walked over and patted her arms down on Hikaru's shoulders, "Did I make you uncomfortable? I didn't mean to. We're all friends here, Hikaru!"

Hikaru blushed, hearing Fumiko call her a 'friend'. It was a warm fuzzy feeling. However, Fumiko obviously did not mean what she said. 

"Hey, Hikaru?" Fumiko said, then turned Hikaru's chair so that she faced Aya, "Have I ever introduced you to Aya? You do know who Aya is, right?"

Aya tensed up at that, feeling her heart quicken at Hikaru's stare.

"U-um..." Hikaru started to say, feeling overwhelmed with nervousness. There were other students glancing this way.  

"Hikaru, this is Aya Kuramoto," Fumiko beamed, pointing at Aya from behind Hikaru's chair where Fumiko stood, "I don't know if you have banks where you came from, but even you surely know the biggest bank in Japan, the Kuramoto Bank, right? Well, this right here is the sole heiress and the pride of our school!"

"Ah, stop it, Fumiko..." Aya laughed feebly with a light blush. Normally Aya faked being modest but this time she was for real.  

Fumiko then turned Hikaru's chair to face Sana, much to Aya's disappointment.

"This is Sana Hirata!" Fumiko did the same thing, pointing at Sana from behind Hikaru's chair, "Okay, this one you won't know, but Sana's parents own The Hirata Group, a prestigious technology company that is renowned in the academic world for its research and contribution in science."

Sana waved weakly at Hikaru, feeling awkward as well from Fumiko's introduction.

Before Hikaru could wave back, Fumiko turned her chair back to its original spot, then returned to her own chair.

"And me!" Fumiko smiled at Hikaru, "The proud beloved daughter of the president and owner of the JMC Network! One of the largest telecommunications company in Japan! Your phone, excuse me if you don't have one, is probably using one of our SIM cards right now!"

"W-wow..." Hikaru said, gazing at Fumiko. She was about to say something further but her voice was too soft to be heard by Fumiko.

"Ahem, now that the introductions are over," Fumiko said, pausing, "It's nice to be acquainted with you, uh... fishermen Hikaru."

"Seriously, Fumiko, that's enough..." Aya said, trying to draw Fumiko's attention away from Hikaru. Aya had finally unfroze after Fumiko turned Hikaru's chair away. 

Fumiko glanced at Aya, pouting as she had wanted to continue teasing Hikaru. However, it was Aya telling her to stop so she had to stop.

"Anyways Hikaru," Fumiko said, "We'll leave you alone to eat your sandwich in peace before it goes stale."

"Um, okay..." Hikaru nodded coyly, oblivious to Fumiko's sarcasm. She was still happy at the fact that Fumiko had called her a 'friend', having thought it was genuine.

And so, Hikaru returned to eating her sandwich alone at her desk while reading over her notes. 

"Jeez, Fumiko..." Sana whispered so that Hikaru couldn't hear, glaring at Fumiko, "That was too much!"

Fumiko shrugged with a smile, "What? I was just trying to be nice." 

"..."

Sana didn't want to call Fumiko out, but she knew Fumiko wasn't trying to be nice.

"Hey..." Aya whispered to the two of them, grabbing their immediate attention, "Do you guys... um... think that Hikaru is really cute...?"

Fumiko blinked, then waited for Aya to laugh but Aya didn't laugh.

"Erm..." Fumiko said, then glanced over at Hikaru before looking back at Aya, "Maybe a little bit, nothing special though. You're way better looking than her, Aya. Actually, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have even compared you two in the same sent--"

Aya was glancing at Sana, waiting for her response.

"A little," Sana nodded, smiling weakly. She had no idea what Aya was asking. 

"Do you two ever feel like..." Aya hesitated, "Um... like you want to pat her head...?"

"Erm, no." Fumiko said. She had to draw the line somewhere. "There's way more cuter girls than her in this school. You, on the other hand, Aya, I would love to pat!"

Fumiko tried to reach out and pat Aya's head, then frowned when Aya waved her hand away. 

"No, sorry..." Sana was backing out too. "I don't really feel that way, Aya... do you want to pat her head?"

"W-what?!" Aya almost fell out of her chair, "Of course not! I was just asking! That's all!"

"Right..." Sana replied, forcing a smile.

~x~

At the end of school, Fumiko excused herself from Aya and Sana, saying that she had to go to volleyball practice. It was true that Fumiko was an excellent volleyball player, but that wasn't the real reason she had disappeared. She had really gone off for a different purpose.

After making sure that Aya and Sana had walked off, Fumiko waited near the front of the school with a group of other students. Kenzou was amongst these students.

"Hey Fumiko!" The students greeted Fumiko cheerfully.

"Fumiko." Kenzou nodded, seeing her. "Did you make sure Aya has gone off first?"

"Of course," Fumiko snapped, "I can't have my dear Aya witnessing something this tragic."

A tall guy with black hair and a handsome face emerged from the group. It was Eito, the guy who had confessed to Aya and failed. 

"So..." Eito said, punching his fist into his palm with an angry look, "Where's this girl that's been annoying Aya, Fumiko?"

Ain't no way I'll let someone mess with Aya and get away with it! Eito thought inside his head. Although Aya may have rejected me, I still haven't given up. Maybe once I've solved this problem for her, then Aya will finally consider me seriously... ah, what a wonderful thought!

"She'll be coming out any minute now," Fumiko replied, uncertain whether bringing Eito along was a good idea. But he had begged Fumiko to allow him to come after catching wind that someone had annoyed Aya.  

Waiting a few more minutes, the person they had been waiting for eventually came out of the school building.

Airy black hair, hazel eyes, and light freckles, Hikaru strolled for the school gates with a cheery smile on her face.

"There's our special little girl." Fumiko announced to the group.

Just as Hikaru was about to reach the school gates, Fumiko stepped out, blocking her path with a devilish grin. 

"Heey, Hikaru~!" Fumiko sang, "Where are you going?"

"Oh, hi Fumiko!" Hikaru was slightly surprised to see Fumiko stopping her at the gates. "I'm just going home." She laughed nervously, seeing the group gathered next to Fumiko's side. One of the guys, a tall boy with black hair was glaring at her angrily. There were about fifteen other students with Fumiko.

"Going home already?" Kenzou smirked, stepping in Hikaru's way, "Why don't you come play with us for a bit first?"

Ek! What's going on? Hikaru glanced at Kenzou with a frightened face. That's the boy that took my sandwich the other day...

"I-I have to get home..." Hikaru said, "My mum is waiting for me..."

"I'm sure she won't mind if you're just a tiny bit late." Fumiko laughed, grabbing onto Hikaru's hand. "Come on, Hikaru, we're friends, aren't we?"

...

Hikaru stared down at Fumiko's hand that was grabbing onto her. Friends? She felt more at ease, then raised her head and smiled weakly at Fumiko. "I-I guess I can stay for a bit..."

"Great!" Fumiko said, "Let's go this way then!"

Fumiko tugged Hikaru by the hand, leading her back in the school.

"A-are we going back to school?" Hikaru asked, scared.

"Yes!" Fumiko smiled, the group of students walked with them. "Trust me! We're friends!"

12